Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

It was a stupid idea in the first place to have Princess Di on that roster. Katya didn't have anything to work with. And Princess Di is a goddamn saint; she didn't fit in with the theme at all.

It was really weird and maybe unprecedented for Ru to assign all the parts like that.

Usually there is a mini-challenge and the winner(s) decide who gets which parts for the main challenge.

Katya absolutely got the shittiest character and costume plus performing first/last is always rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Pellisworth posted:

It was really weird and maybe unprecedented for Ru to assign all the parts like that.

I thought it was obvious that everyone knew the character that they were going to play before they arrived. Who carries their friend's grandmother's wedding dress around in their luggage day-to-day?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
A prepared queen

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
There were a ton of other historical women they could have used. Cleopatra felt like an obvious choice. Joan of Arc. Queen Elizabeth I.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Watrick posted:

I saw an episode of Hey Qween where she said all the drama with Sharon was manufactured by two of them because there hadn't been a rivalry like that before.

I don't know if I believe that. There seemed to be genuine emotion there, they seemed to really dislike each other. And I'm not sure why PhiPhi would volunteer to be the villain there. She was hated for a lot more than her rivalry with Sharon. It's almost like she made this up to try and focus on her redemption, which nobody is really buying at all really.

Over at reddit, someone made a summary of all the T from a live event with PhiPhi and Tatiana. Here are the highlights:

- PhiPhi said Tati was limited to two drinks because she got too drunk during the first episode and ended up throwing up on the bathroom along with someone else who threw up on PhiPhi. (this interesting, because I had heard they had previously limited all the girls every season to just one drink because someone got too drunk during Untucked way back in season 2)

- Tatiana said the biggest difference from season 2 was that they got to hang out all the time at the hotel back then. The day she got eliminated, she asked for a drink and they said no cause they were about to film, so she went to the prop bottle of absolut and filled her bottle even though she hadn't eaten. They changed the song the night before, and she was super over it and drunk so she was just having a good time.

- Tatiana said she was originally assigned princess Diana, but then changed to Joan of arc.

- PhiPhi said they were told to bring their most elaborate costumes, not told they'd have to dance in them.

- The choreographers were mean to everyone, including Alyssa and read her for her technique but obviously that wasn't shown.

- PhiPhi said all the drama is manufactured by the producers, the real bullies aren't her and Roxxxy, but World of Wonder. She said that they absolutely should blame the edit because things are constantly being taken out of context.

- PhiPhi said that the "This is fashion and I love it," critique was NOT given to Alyssa as shown. It was too detox. Carson actually told Alyssa they need to be on Ritalin to understand her look.

- PhiPhi made her gun for her runway in her hotel room on their day off. She felt bad for Ginger because she asked if they could turn the lights off for her at the end of the runway, but they didn't. Katya's dress was too big which is why she was holding it in. Also, they had like, 20-25 minutes to change from the lip sync challenge to their runway.

- A producer took her best friend Jiggly out to lunch and told her not to talk to Phi Phi anymore because she's a bad influence and worse than Willam Belli. (I guess WoW really still hates Willam). The producer then accidentally texted PhiPhi talking poo poo about her, and then wrote, "Wait, who is this?"

- PhiPhi helped Coco make her outfit for the VMAs, so she was pretty upset that Coco would then call her out for being a fake bitch.

- Tatianna said that the mean thing Raven Symone said to Adore was that her singing was flat.

- Tatianna's original latex look was purple, but she wasn't happy with it, so Adore gave her outfit to her. So that's what Tatianna was wearing when she was sent home.

- PhiPhi was supposed to do All Stars 1, but couldn't because she was in jail.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Nihonniboku posted:

- PhiPhi was supposed to do All Stars 1, but couldn't because she was in jail.

lol

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Oh good I'm not the only one who thought Katya was kind of screwed from the start with the character assignment. Compared to the others, Diana was... meh, historically.

Honestly I'm kind of meh about this episode in general. Entertaining bits, but the whole thing was kind of "shrug, I wonder what happens next week" for some reason.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I thought it was nice of Ru to point out that none of the rest of the queens were judged for the accuracy of their historical look. Roxxy came out and the first thing my wife said was "She doesn't look like Eva". I didn't bother to check but I'm also pretty sure Annie Oakley didn't dress like that either.

Katya was doomed from the beginning.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Flyinglemur posted:

I thought it was nice of Ru to point out that none of the rest of the queens were judged for the accuracy of their historical look. Roxxy came out and the first thing my wife said was "She doesn't look like Eva". I didn't bother to check but I'm also pretty sure Annie Oakley didn't dress like that either.

I was really sad they didn't have a Puerto Rican queen to do Eva.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Tendai posted:

Oh good I'm not the only one who thought Katya was kind of screwed from the start with the character assignment. Compared to the others, Diana was... meh, historically.

Honestly I'm kind of meh about this episode in general. Entertaining bits, but the whole thing was kind of "shrug, I wonder what happens next week" for some reason.

Flyinglemur posted:

I agree with all of this. And come on, if Alyssa got Annie Oakley, Katya should have gotten Catherine the Great.

I also thought that Detox's performance was totally forgettable, but I'm really not a fan of Detox in general. Her runway was well-executed, but you can only get away with something like that once.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Princess Di could've been cool in a sort of floaty graceful way, but Katya's the last queen I'd give that role to. Jade Jolie perhaps.

Katya would've rocked Margret Thatcher / Joan Of Arc / Elizabeth I 100x harder.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Katya playing Margaret Thatcher would have been amazing.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
Katya playing post-mortem Di would've been amazing.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Anyone who would have gotten Di would have been in the bottom, period. Every other option was a historical figure with enough distance to create an emotional detachment. Di's well within our lifetime and, hell, had every inch of her life documented in every format imaginable. It's still fresh in our minds which just makes it feel a touch too perverse. Considering the roles were assigned rather than picked, it almost feels like conspiracy theory-levels of backstage studio fuckery.

OR that runway outfit sunk her entirely, wow that outfit is a mess.

EDIT: While Alyssa's outfit is the kind of mess that I like. Goddamn!

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 10, 2016

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011

CaptainScraps posted:

I was really sad they didn't have a Puerto Rican queen to do Eva.

The complete lack of a Puerto Rican queen on this season is a goddamn shame.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yo this episode was complete hot bullshit. I love Katya was the weakest of the bunch and Ginger Minj just loving owns overall. She got the axe because she's the more talented of the two.

Also Detox should have won.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Going to see Bob in Sydney tonight. Better be amazing, because not much brings me into the city.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pretty much everything was blah about that episode, bring Ginger back and forget it happened and do something that isn't meh.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Yodzilla posted:

Also Detox should have won.
Detox absolutely had the better lip sync. Alyssa's was the drag race formula of big steps and wide movements.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I like Alaska but I kinda felt she deserved to be in the bottom here. Her Eve was nothing much and her outfit was meh.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I'll defend Katya's runway look a bit in the sense that if you're gonna go with that huge hair, you also need something big in your garment to balance it out. I thought Alyssa, Roxxxy, and Gingers' runways were equally bad or worse.

Alyssa dominated the dancing challenge (no surprise there) but her runway was a hot garbage MESS of wearing every piece of cloth and rhinestone in her closet at once while sticking to standard Alyssa formula. I think Alyssa had the best challenge performance and worst runway. I really like her overall but wow pick a stylistic theme and run with it girl, your outfit is a too strung-out on Red Bulls mess. It's like Jiggly Caliente episode one:

That is NOT a top-two runway.

I'd probably have picked Roxxxy and Katya for bottom two, Katya got dealt a lovely hand with Princess Diana and going last in the performance but objectively she wasn't great and the runway was meh. Similarly Roxxxy was forgettable both in the challenge and on the runway. Meanwhile Ginger was great in the challenge and mediocre on the runway look, I think I'd have sent Roxxxy home instead of her just based on this week's performance.

Alaska was fine as Eve but I think she flopped on the runway by not going completely ridiculous over-the-top; weird kooky (but very intelligent) alien Alaska is essentially her schtick and she picked a very minimalist expression of that.

It's hard for me to pick tops/bottoms for the week since the best performers in the challenge (imo Alyssa, Ginger) also gave the worst runways.

I almost think Phi Phi should've been in the top two this week, her performance was decent and her runway great, plus having her lip-synching to eliminate one of the other girls would have made for some tasty drama.

Todrick remains lovely and unremarkable and I will continue to mention that in every post. :fuckoff:

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 10, 2016

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Just had a thought after this episode, what are the odds that before the lip sync they let Ru know which lipsticks got taken by which queen so she can possibly judge based on that?

:tinfoil:

dougal
Dec 18, 2006

Cael posted:

Just had a thought after this episode, what are the odds that before the lip sync they let Ru know which lipsticks got taken by which queen so she can possibly judge based on that?

:tinfoil:

I had this exact thought after this episode. The more I think about it the more I think that's exactly what Ru would do. She might have changed the format, but I sincerely doubt she'd let go of all control over who stays and goes.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

So far though, each pair of queens has chosen the same for elimination. It doesn't give Ru much of a choice if both options are the same. Doesn't feel like this gimmick is paying off though. The queens are pretty much sticking to a set criteria and there doesn't seem to be much drama over the picks.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

That absolutely isn't true this week, though.

It was only ever a matter of time before the consensus broke and unleashed the necessary wave of drama.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Saw Bob last night. Very fun show, but very short. Maybe 45 minutes, no opening act or anything. Perfectly fine value for money (it was hella cheap for a show in Oz), but if I'm going to lug my rear end all the way down to Syd I'd rather pay more and have longer show with more than one queen.

Anyway, still pretty great. Did a lip sync to a parody song called "I Like Big Cocks", interspersed with spoken word from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trsDd75Ti-E

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Combed Thunderclap posted:

That absolutely isn't true this week, though.

It was only ever a matter of time before the consensus broke and unleashed the necessary wave of drama.

But both Detox and Alyssa picked Ginger though? :confused: They may technically stray from the original criteria set forth in the very first show, but there's still a strong consensus each week.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Katya apparently said in (a now deleted version of) Total Rucall that Detox picked her.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Cocks Cable posted:

But both Detox and Alyssa picked Ginger though? :confused: They may technically stray from the original criteria set forth in the very first show, but there's still a strong consensus each week.
We haven't seen who Detox picked yet.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
RuPaul won an Emmy :toot:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

angerbeet posted:

Holy poo poo. Good for her, well deserved.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

angerbeet posted:

Woooooooo

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

angerbeet posted:

To clarify, for Best Costumes for a Comedy, Variety, or Reality Series. But still a big deal, and I'm happy. Crossing my fingers still for the Best Reality Show Host.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

To clarify, for Best Costumes for a Comedy, Variety, or Reality Series. But still a big deal, and I'm happy. Crossing my fingers still for the Best Reality Show Host.

Um no, she won the Best Reality Show Host Emmy. Drag Race got beat in the Costumes category by The Wiz Live (which to be fair had loving amazing costuming).

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Um no, she won the Best Reality Show Host Emmy. Drag Race got beat in the Costumes category by The Wiz Live (which to be fair had loving amazing costuming).

Holy poo poo. That's pretty huge for him and the show.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

You're right, I completely misread that NewNowNext article.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
Phi Phi is here to 'change', remember? At least she got some drat well executed looks this season. Not digging her competitive bitchiness, but hey, it is a competition. That future drag look was everything.

I would like to see Ginger, and Tatianna come back. Coco would earn some serious coin if she won some challenges, girl can werk a lip sync.

I kinda feel Roxxxy is going home next. That Alaska snatch was absolutely terrible.

Anyone else feel this season is made to have Alaska be winner? (Remember when Chad had it in the bag?)

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, but rumor has it that her ex spoiled the boot list, and we all know that they film finale wins for all three queens, so further rumor has it that she would have won, but now cannot.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Today Google's doodle is for Yma Sumac's 94th birthday, so of course, I had to repost one of the most epic lip syncs ever:

https://vimeo.com/64197353

Jinkx did her proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Propaganda Machine posted:

Yeah, but rumor has it that her ex spoiled the boot list, and we all know that they film finale wins for all three queens, so further rumor has it that she would have won, but now cannot.

Do we know if there will be a live finale for All-Stars 2? Season 4 was the first to do a live finale after the winners of season 2 and 3 were leaked beforehand, but All-Stars 1 had a traditional finale.

• Locked thread