Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

proof of concept posted:

and you call yourself a texan

where were you when Louis Black lost his faith in American politics

e: that's an Austin Chronicle joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Monkey Fracas posted:

Judas Priest

Ffffffffffuck yes

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
How about mixing it up a bit?

Most '90s album of the '60s:

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

gnarlyhotep posted:

where were you when Louis Black lost his faith in American politics

e: that's an Austin Chronicle joke

igtr, and I imagine it's happened a few times considering everything that's gone down just in my lifetime let alone his

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

proof of concept posted:

igtr, and I imagine it's happened a few times considering everything that's gone down just in my lifetime let alone his

yes, and to be really controversial I'm going to present this as the most decade cover of the 1940s

(mainly because I have this album and it's awesome)

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
in that case I propose this, for the same reason (edit: the I like it and it's awesome reason, probably not the controversy reason)

proof of concept fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 4, 2016

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

gnarlyhotep posted:

(mainly because I have this album and it's awesome)

hahaha I want this album now that I've heard it for myself plus I'm a giant nerd

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Easily the best album cover of all time.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Double points for being such an incredibly terrible song

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

a happy snowman posted:

Many of the albums shown have great graphic design. I don't think this is one of them.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Al Cowens posted:

The late 90s and very early 00s was its own thing

By and large, the aesthetic from that era seems to be "neutral"

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

a happy snowman posted:

Instead of "terrible" I think you meant "awesome" or possibly "incredible", as that was one of the best songs of the 80s. Also I have never seen the single cover, so thanks for that.

Here's a very 60s album cover, not the most 60s, but definitely part of it

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

gnarlyhotep posted:

Instead of "terrible" I think you meant "awesome" or possibly "incredible", as that was one of the best songs of the 80s. Also I have never seen the single cover, so thanks for that.

Here's a very 60s album cover, not the most 60s, but definitely part of it

Wrong opinion, wrong Herb Alpert cover.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

80s

90s

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 8, 2016

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

a happy snowman posted:

Wrong opinion, wrong Herb Alpert cover.

We could sit here and throw Alpert covers at each other for like a week. Let's agree that any one of his covers is the most cheesy. K?

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
you can't really hit most cheesy when it comes to Herp Alpert if Spanish Flea isn't part of the equation

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
I dont think it gets any more 80s than this:

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I dont think it gets any more 80s gay than this:

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

didn't that Ohio players album cover have some horrible story to it, like the girl was lying on some fiberglass platform and the honey dried and stuck her to it really good and when she tried to get up she pulled a whole bunch of skin off and died?

Sex Falcon
Jun 4, 2013

:parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
80s

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

oh I think it does, actually

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

70's

80's

90's

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
dio.jpeg

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

So "Never Gonna Give You Up" wasn't even the song they thought of as the big hit? It is the third song mentioned.

In an alternative world, are people rickrolling each other with "When I Fall In Love"?

glowing-fish fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 10, 2016

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

So "Never Gonna Give You Up" wasn't even the song they thought of as the big hit? It is the third song mentioned.

In an alternative world, are people rickrolling each other with "When I Fall In Love"?

I use "Together Forever"

Also, have a rap album cover
http://imgur.com/3H9f8EB

client
Aug 19, 2010

Gatekeeper posted:

didn't that Ohio players album cover have some horrible story to it, like the girl was lying on some fiberglass platform and the honey dried and stuck her to it really good and when she tried to get up she pulled a whole bunch of skin off and died?

thats the urban legend behind the creepy scream in the middle of love rollercoaster.

https://youtu.be/sR9CRxY9Ne0?t=152

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

client posted:

70s

80s

90s

the alpha and the omega

Just going back through the thread and this one is spot on

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
this covers the 70s and 80s simultaneously:

Bonus Metal Church:

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 12, 2016

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

defaultluser posted:

this covers the 70s and 80s simultaneously:

Right on. It's the best of both, looking forward to a prog-rock-free future

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Gatekeeper posted:

The honey thing happened but she's still alive and it has nothing to do with the scream on the record.

I feel like this is perhaps the most 2000s album cover to be released in 1997:

Or maybe a sort of a musical decade from 1997 to 2007 where people mostly gazed at their navel, angrily.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Jaguars! posted:

The honey thing happened but she's still alive and it has nothing to do with the scream on the record.

I feel like this is perhaps the most 2000s album cover to be released in 1997:

Or maybe a sort of a musical decade from 1997 to 2007 where people mostly gazed at their navel, angrily.

Oh yeah, 2000's techno had that 'draw a gently caress ton of random shapes in a 3d modeling program and render some cool transparency or fog' thing going on.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
because COMPUTERS

(computers were a big thing at the time)

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Did we really go 5 pages without Tarkus?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Clitch posted:

I could have sworn somebody posted that classic, but apparently not. You win this one, Clitch

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Clitch posted:

It would have been a great fit for the '60s, too bad it came out in '71. :v:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Slip posted:

Orbital - In Sides (1996) will always be 90s as gently caress for me

I'm pretty sure this was composed of graphics from the saved by the bell intro.

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
What was it with the early 90s and putting babies and little kids on stuff? Radiohead did Pablo Honey, Nirvana did Nevermind, and the Smashing Pumpkins did Siamese Dream. Anyway, this is Radiohead's 90's cover:

Here's their turn of the millennium cover from 2000:

And here's their most recent cover from this year, which is like the pinnacle of horrible modern covers (and for those of you who haven't heard it, the music is just as bad and boring as the cover and name)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm probably repeating myself, but early 90s album covers in the Alternative vein, feel like they were someone's high school or early college art projects that were intentionally faking a semi-sarcastic campy imagery by channeling low-fi artiste pretension.

By the end of the 90s, though, they were they were no longer intentionally faking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Of all the ridiculous late 90s/early 2000s album covers, I think this one is the best:

So many things to point out

1) It looks like he just woke up in the photo.

2) When airplanes, missiles, and tanks are photoshopped into a photo, it is usually an attempt to make it look like they are all together in the same "scene". Literally nothing on the cover looks like it's even taken at the same time, let alone from the same "battle" that he's involved in.

3) The complete lack of planning on where the Parental Advisory logo would appear. Why not raise it up a bit so you don't just see a random chin sticking out?

4) Listing the featured artists as permanent text; part of the album cover. It's one thing to have a sticker on the cellophane that has all of that, but to have it as literally part of the album cover is so tacky and weird. Hell, I remember in the early 90s you'd buy a rap album and you didn't even know there was a guest on the song until you listened to it! "Hey! That's Jay-Z on this Big L track! Cool, it wasn't mentioned anywhere on the CD!".

5) There's 19 guest artists listed on that album cover. Isn't that just a "mix CD" at that point?

6) I am pretty sure the soldiers coming from the helicopter on the left are those little army toys

Not surprisingly this is when I kind of stopped listening to new rap releases.

Those types of album covers were ALL you saw from 97-2001. And never once was it from an east-coast rapper.

Fun fact: the album title came from one of the members of the band hearing a bootleg pre-release of "The Jerky Boys 2" album. It's the first prank call on the album. "Pablo honey, are you washing your rear end? Please come to Florida with me Pablo"

• Locked thread