Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowstomper
Oct 16, 2005

Nalin posted:

It gives 100 XP for winning a round. There is no end-of-game bonus like in Conquest.

Actually, it gives an additional +150 xp after one team wins 5 rounds, from what I saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm at the point where I'm going to shelf this game and return in a year. The devs insist on updating everyone via discord which is loving dumb, and the patch notes are poo poo. But the core gameplay is cool.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Whats the deal with Epic? Is it live? Is it any good?

I'm pretty happy I ended up getting a refund at this point. Seems like this game is pretty far off from being anything more than updated M&B team deathmatch.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

Whats the deal with Epic? Is it live? Is it any good?

I'm pretty happy I ended up getting a refund at this point. Seems like this game is pretty far off from being anything more than updated M&B team deathmatch.

Pretty much what it is. Every patch, they break something new.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
One nice thing is that they've been doing practically daily updates in this thread:
http://forum.ofkingsandmen.net/index.php?topic=1783.0

Looks like parties is almost completed, which is nice.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Nalin posted:

One nice thing is that they've been doing practically daily updates in this thread:
http://forum.ofkingsandmen.net/index.php?topic=1783.0

Looks like parties is almost completed, which is nice.

So we can form a group of 5 to fight the other 5 guys still playing?

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Making a smarter decision they moved the devframes to the frontpage: http://ofkingsandmen.net/

Recently shown that squads are working on their build.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
So this game is dead, too, huh?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Colonial Air Force posted:

So this game is dead, too, huh?

They blew their wad way too early, yeah.

I wouldn't expect anything for quite awhile and even then I doubt the game will get back most of its population.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Basically they tried to enable features that would put the basic combat on par with Warband but they either didn't work or caused a lot of issues. They seem to be addressing all kinds of things that aren't fixing combat and yet still won't add depth or fun to the game. Also they haven't patched in over a month, so there is no population. Their solution to this was setting up new nightly opt-in beta builds to further split what's left of the population just to show they are in fact working on things. However, nothing they've done is worthy of a real patch, even though all of EA should be considered a beta anyway and there's nothing they can break that will hurt the population any more.

What I'm saying is, if you're thinking of buying this, don't, you'll have no one to play with. If you've already bought it, try to get a refund.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

VulgarandStupid posted:

What I'm saying is, if you're thinking of buying this, don't, you'll have no one to play with. If you've already bought it, try to get a refund.

I don't think that would be possible for any of us at this point.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm very happy I got a refund on this game. Interesting premise but they really weren't ready to push this thing.

Have the updates just been "Tweaked lamalar plate armour values as they weren't realistic enough"? Cause that's how a lot of these EA games die when they get too involved with their own community and make endless pointless changes without adding to the actual gameplay.

EDIT: 24 Hour peak was 40 players, lol.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Popete posted:

I'm very happy I got a refund on this game. Interesting premise but they really weren't ready to push this thing.

Have the updates just been "Tweaked lamalar plate armour values as they weren't realistic enough"? Cause that's how a lot of these EA games die when they get too involved with their own community and make endless pointless changes without adding to the actual gameplay.

EDIT: 24 Hour peak was 40 players, lol.

No updates means no players

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

They haven't updated anything in 6 weeks, outside of their nightly test builds. I haven't tried any of them yet because there's no one playing. But you have to understand that this dev team was trying to start to balance weapon stats while having helmets that had barely any armor value because they still had arbitrary place holder values. I yelled at them to change the helmets before adjusting any more weapons because if anything hit your head you could die in one hit anyway. Mind you this was after they attempted to adjust the three most OP weapons, which they did with an incredibly soft touch, so they're still OP and kill you in the same amount of hits. So they actually have helmets reasonable armor in the last patch and haven't done anything since.

I actually believe that they wrote their damage formulae without actually understanding the math behind them. I mean, in open alpha, the version they launched before a big European gaming convention, they messed up something and the value of armor you were wearing was actually applied to your opponent. Naked dudes were wrecking everyone. Took them a couple of weeks to catch this and fix it.

Now, they keep posting stuff they are working on but haven't implemented yet. It's mostly things like new dirt textures and tree meshes...

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
http://steamcharts.com/app/430440

27 peak players. Game ded.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

They finally patched this dead game. http://ofkingsandmen.net/index.php/2016/12/07/changelog-1-6-0/

Lots of changes and additions. Sounds like they were holding off updates till they had a big content release.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
You can now control the size of your dick in OKAM.

Cowstomper
Oct 16, 2005

What is speculated to be going into the next patch in December of 2017?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Game is still pretty much the same as before, with a few new bugs and a couple new weapons.

I'd charge back it honestly if I bought it through GMG and not Steam.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

So most of what they did is a straight up improvement. However, they redid the stats system, and gave everyone a ton of points. I have a ton of movement speed and a little health, I just run around and gank everyone.

I think the end result is we get the same amount of total points as before, but since you just start with so little in each stat, you can make super specialized builds, like in CRPG.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Fief me.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Skoll posted:

Game is still pretty much the same as before, with a few new bugs and a couple new weapons.

I'd charge back it honestly if I bought it through GMG and not Steam.

Yeah it seems like this is just a knock off Mount & Blade with some character progression in the way of direct stat increases so that higher level players can beat up on newbs (so it's just CRPG again).

What ever happened to their grand campaign idea? The patch doesn't mention anything about that and there was never a good explanation of what that was even going to be. Seems like they are stuck in the development phase of endlessly tweaking weapons/armour stats to appease a community and never actually adding interesting gameplay.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's like they refuse to understand linear stat progression is a bad idea for an MMO melee game.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Nothing makes me want to jump back into your dead game more than going up against the last 100 active players who can kill me in 1 swing well my lovely wood stick does 5 damage per hit.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Yeah, it's one thing in a traditional MMO with areas zoned by character level or a bracketed arena. A free-for-all like this, it's pointless.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

So they toned down some of the stats, mostly Movement speed, but also reduced the Skill points so you can't max everything out. Characters had their stats uninvested.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Game dead. The investors fired the entire dev team including chadz for loving up the development and apparently it's probably going to become pay 2 win :thumbsup:

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Ahahahaha

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:rip: ded gay game

http://ofkingsandmen.net/index.php/2017/02/01/development-announcement/

quote:

Message to the Of Kings And Men community: Development team departures

Warlock Wireless Ltd, Daedalus Partners LLP, the developer and investor behind the medieval multiplayer, Of Kings And Men, today announce the departure of key staff in the development team.

Lead designer, Florian Hofreither, and several team members will be leaving the Of Kings And Men development project by the end of January. They will continue to provide transitional support to Warlock Wireless, and remain minority shareholders in the company. The developer is currently evaluating all elements of the project’s development, alongside soliciting detailed feedback from the Of Kings And Men community. This important process will both shape the direction the game takes in 2017 and the ensuing recruitment strategy.

“It is with great sadness that we can confirm today departures of key development staff who have decided to move on to new opportunities” commented a spokesman for Daedalus Partners. “We warmly wish them success in their new ventures and would like to to thank them for their exceptional hard work and dedication to the project. We would further like to reassure the Of Kings And Men community that at this time continuing the development of the game and taking it to full launch remains the priority.”

Florian Hofreither: “Myself and several others in the development team are departing from Warlock Wireless, the company creating Of Kings And Men. It was not an easy decision, as we have invested a tremendous amount of time and passion into this game and regret that we will not be the ones leading it across the finishing line. All of us very much still believe in this project and we will be supporting it as much as possible I would also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has supported us along this incredible journey.”

Currently in Steam’s Early Access programme, Of Kings And Men allows the player to experience huge, player-driven medieval battles like no other. Players can engage in massive combat with up to 100 people, capture territories, or practice fighting skills in competitive matches with intuitive melee combat. Of Kings And Men also received funding from Northern Ireland Screen.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hmmmm, seems like making endless minor stat tweaks and adding new hats is not a good substitute for actual game play content.

I'm very happy I quickly realized this game was nothing more than a M&B Warlords clone with less substance and got my Steam refund.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Popete posted:

Hmmmm, seems like making endless minor stat tweaks and adding new hats is not a good substitute for actual game play content.

I'm very happy I quickly realized this game was nothing more than a M&B Warlords clone with less substance and got my Steam refund.

I mean they constantly hosed up adding new items to their mod. New items they didn't have to create, just assign stats to and apparently name the files correctly.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The guy who got a decent persistent multiplayer mod for warband forgot to put the persistent part in his warband clone?

That's gotta be a special kind of stupid.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

So the website has named the new lead developer for this game and conversely he has started posting on the OKAM forums. Looks like we're off to a good start!

http://forum.ofkingsandmen.net/index.php?topic=783.0

And here's the rest of his post history:

http://forum.ofkingsandmen.net/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=252

Edit: Actually, this is a lot less funny now that I realized they're old posts..

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Feb 10, 2017

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

No it's pretty funny and also gently caress this poo poo game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Judging by the last few pages, I'm assuming enthusiasm for M&B-like pre-release medieval combat games isn't at an all-time high right now, but if anyone is interested in another attempt, Mordhau just put up its Kickstarter. It's doing well, twice the base goal already. It doesn't surprise me, I've been following these guys for a while now and I've liked their approach from the beginning.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Lol, I've been too burned by early access purchases to get in on Mordhau but godspeed goons.

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 15, 2017

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Mordhau is basically a more realistic looking Chivalry. I passed because I bought Chivalry and played it maybe 6 hours before going "this isn't fun.".

Also yea, tired of being burnt by kickstarters.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Lmao look at this sick update for this garbage fire game:

Added a team chat (default T).
Added a sprint toggle option (Game Options - Controls)
Added an opponents amount option in Practice.
Added an option to spawn automatically on Conquest and Duel.
Changed a number of votes needed for a public vote.
Added grasslands map.

Hell yeah team chat. What's it been 6 months?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Added team chat so the last 14 people playing can tell you how much you suck. Number of votes to win reduced to 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Skoll posted:

Mordhau is basically a more realistic looking Chivalry. I passed because I bought Chivalry and played it maybe 6 hours before going "this isn't fun.".

Also yea, tired of being burnt by kickstarters.

I have almost 1,400 hours in Chivalry, which I'm pretty sure I bought for €2.99 or something. I'm pretty much morally obligated to back Mordhau (Mirage, on the other hand, is probably going to suck). It looks cool to me, but I can't blame anyone for EA/KS fatigue.

I would have gotten in on this too since I love Warband, but the development team quit in its entirety?

• Locked thread