Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

:siren: EARLY ACCESS WARNING :siren:
Do you think swords are supremely awesome and/or totally sweet? Do you like grunting with/at angry hairy men that have long hard weapons? Do you have so much scorn for peasants that the mere thought of mercilessly cutting them down give you erotic thoughts? Do you feel that internet-bushido is more important than life? Play Of Kings and Men today and become the peasant murdering masochist you knew you always were!

Trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWtinBnWZxM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2zCqNysOtk

What is Of Kings and Men?
Previously known as Melee: Battlegrounds, it is the successor to a very popular Mount & Blade mod: CRPG. A few years back the CRPG was able to secure some money to make a standalone game and we are now getting to play it. They are using their own in house engine and a LOT of the original elements/ideas of CRPG with a few twists and an even bolder vision. I played the poo poo out of CRPG back in the day and loved ruining pubbies internet kingdoms in strategus mode in true goon style.

Currently the game is pre-alpha/early access and they are basic testing their server infrastructure. Quality wise its pretty good, no major glaring bugs or crashes and the mechanics are working pretty great. They have a core amount of their content implemented and combat/balance is at a fairly decent state. Lots more will be coming soon, hopefully cavalry which I loved the gently caress out of in CRPG.

Roadmap with the upcoming features. Right now we're at the Early Access stage

Screenshots:

Gameplay Videos

https://www.twitch.tv/eggplantwizard_/v/84410854

Where do I buy this game?
It's on sale on GMG here

How do I fight?
Here, have a comprehensive guide shamelessly stolen from the official forums:

quote:

New to the game and do you feel like blocking doesn't work? Or that you don't have control over your stances? OKAM uses a different directional system than any of us are used to from previous directional games and it needs a little explanation. But don't worry, because soon you'll feel that the controls are very natural, even if you have other control systems (like warband) hardwired in your muscle memory.

BASIC PRINCIPLES

There are 8-9 stances from which the player can attack and block incoming blows. You can move through these stances fluently and you don't have to release your LMB to choose a different stance (unless you are using lock stance). You don't need to perfectly mirror the opponent's attack in order to block the blow, you can normally be 'off one stance'.
Weapons also physically block, meaning that you can stop incoming blows by manouvering your block into the incoming swing. This is important when you are getting hit from someone that is flanking or encircling you and will also be useful when you are fighting multiple enemies at once (where you'll hold your block corresponding to your movement through the group of enemies so that you block their predicted swings).
Shields will always block swings, even when you are not actively blocking. There are downsides to this though, mainly that the shielder's swing gets interrupted and that his shield takes damage.
All weapons , so this means shields aswell, have directional blocking

BASIC CONTROLS:

WASD (or ZQSD for azerty) are used for basic movement
Moving the mouse allows you to look around AND also to change stance direction
HOLDING LMB while moving your mouse towards the desired direction => this functions as a block, but also as a stance from which you will swing. You don't need to release your LMB to change the direction, you move between stances fluently while holding LMB and moving your mouse around.
RELEASING LMB => you will swing your sword from the stance you were in
RMB => this is a weapon type specific action
TWOHANDERS: when you click RMB after releasing LMB, you will perform a high risk parry that (if you manage to connect it with an incoming swing), will result in a faster riposte/counter-attack.
SHIELDS: Currently RMB is a more defensive stance where your character holds the shield in front of him, making it easier to catch the incoming swings (the swings still need to physically collide with your shield, so there is no forcefield!). The downsides are that your counterattacks will be slower and your shield will take damage when hit.
POLEARMS: no RMB action implemented yet
CTRL is used to lock stance. This allows you to hold your stance while moving your camera around with your mouse. This is mostly useful for having your attack ready in group fights, especially stabs as they require some aiming beforehand.

CONTROL SETTINGS
These are purely subjective, but can make a big difference if you are not feeling like you are in control of your blocks/attacks or if you think the combat doesn't feel responsive.

CAMERA SENSITIVITY: if you feel like your turns are too slow, increasing this can help. If you feel like your camera goes all over the place when performing stabs or overhead attacks, lowering this could help as well
STANCE DEAD ZONE: the higher this is, the more you have to move your mouse to change stance. This can help if you feel like you have no control over your stances
TOGGLE STANCE LOCK
STANCE LOCK ALWAYS ON: this is purely preference, but toggeling this on can make it quite a bit harder to block against fast feints.

GOING DEEPER INTO THE DIFFERENT WEAPON CLASSES

TWOHANDED WEAPONS have 9 attack directions (a left stab and a right stab at the bottom) and have a high risk parry as their RMB action.

POLEARMS have 8 attack directions and have a right bottom stab and a right overhead stab. Currently there is no RMB action yet, but this will change.

ONEHANDED WEAPON WITH SHIELD
Unlike other medieval combat games, shields require directional blocking. They do however block any weapon that hits them, but this damages the shield and interrupts the shielders attack.
When directionally blocking with LMB, the incoming swing will be stopped by the shielders melee weapon. This does not damage the shield. This directional LMB block should be your primary block, as you'll be able to swing back at the enemy attacking you. If you mess up a block, you still have your shield to passively protect you.

The shielder can also choose to block with RMB, which is a more defensive stance that makes it easier to block as your character holds the shield in a way that covers more of his body. The shield will only block attacks that hit it, so you'll still need to aim your shield in the correct direction. Your shield will also take damage when hit. Try to only use the RMB block when you are getting overwhelmed, because if you use this as regular block you'll simply get spammed untill your shield breaks.

PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
FEINTING: the goal of feinting is to throw your opponent off, so he opens his block. To do this, let go of your LMB, but quickly click LMB again while dragging your mouse into another direction. This will stop your swing and start a new swing from the other direction. These are especially useful against players that try to parry you with their twohanded weapon (RMB). Because you break off your swing, they will parry in the wrong direction leaving themselves open for a follow up attack.

FIGHTING SHIELDERS:

BLOCKING SWINGS THAT COME FROM THE SIDES/ BEHIND YOU: As explained earlier, swings also get blocked if they physically collide with a block or shield. You can use this to your advantage when getting flanked, when your opponent encircles you and when you are fighting alone against multiple enemies. Block into the direction of the flanking enemy and make sure his weapon will hit your block first, so turn your character model into the incoming swing if needed.

FIGHTING ALONE AGAINST MULTIPLE ENEMIES: Note that when this happens, there is no reason to panic. If done correctly a situation like this might actually give you the edge in the fight! When you are getting ganged by multiple opponents, movement is key! Don't start backpeddling because you'll soon find a sword in your back. Change direction very often while moving through the group of opponents. While doing this, turn your block into the enemies you are passing and encircling. When you have an opening, swing at one of the enemies behind the first opponent, they will often not be expecting a swing. While swinging pass the first opponent and dive back into the group. Doing this will make it very hard for your opponents to find an opening where they can swing at you without hitting a teammate. A lot of their attacks will get caught by your block or glance off as well.

A trick to fighting a group of enemies is to use forward movement a lot, because it's faster than going back or sides. So you dash forward turn around and strike or block. You attack the easiest one for you to attack, or one who is going to shield you from other opponents, and you block the attacks that can't be dodged and are of immediate threat.

Block until you find a gap to squeeze through the enemies, then swing as they are turning around and repeat. Or swing if you are able to maneuver so that you have only one guy close to you. Taking hits may be necessary when pushing through the gaps, but worth the risk because a lot of teamhits happen, and that is the key to victory. Backpeddaling for too long will screw you completely, because you are slower than the enemies and so they will slowly get the advantage of positioning.

FIGHTING WITH TEAMMATES AGAINST ONE ENEMY: the grave danger here is teamhits, that can often turn the tide against the group and in favour of the single opponent. We'll be the smart teammate here and not go in flailing like a lot of teammates will often do. Try keeping your distance and hold your stab ready (lock stance with CTRL). When you see an opening you'll be able to stab without being too much of a danger to your teammates. You also don't need to come close when stabbing, so you are fairly safe from swings directed at the opponent. Make sure you are ready to block for when the opponent turns towards you with a swing!

While you are in a group taking on one person, the best strategy by far is to spam Q while your teammates stab him to death.

GROUP FIGHTING: When fighting in a group, try to hold a front where your teammates and your opponents collide. Aim stabs towards the enemy to keep them at distance and wait untill you see an opening. Utilize these openings to backstab enemies that are occupied with your teammates. When your teammates are fighting people next to you, make sure you don't let any enemies slip past you: engage them and keep them busy. Alternatively you can go full Rambo and move deep into the enemy lines, occupying multiple opponents.

:siren: TLDR: Key component: LMB is both attack and defense. Hold LMB to directional block with your weapon, and release to directional attack. Die a lot, git gud, murder pubbies. :siren:

Armor and weapon stats explained

quote:

With the exception of damage types, weapons have four core stats: Balance, Stability, Speed and Weight.

Weapon Balance: This defines how fast you can switch stances.
Stability: Although not yet implemented, this will represent how effective a weapon is for blocking.
Speed: How fast the weapon can be swung.
Weight: The weight of the item. This affects a character's movement speed and acceleration. Later, this will also define how difficult it is to block hits from this weapon.

Damage & Armor Types

There are three damage types (Cut, Pierce and Blunt) and three armor types (Padded, Mail and Plate) with each damage type performing differently against each armor type. This means that in the damage calculation each damage type the attacker has is challenged against the amount of armor, for each type, that the defender has. To be clear though, because there is a different weapon type vs armor type coefficient for all nine possibilities, it's not necessarily best to simply choose armor that has the highest total value.

In general, the following is a good way to think about the effectiveness of each damage type.

Cut Damage: Reduced the most by mail and plate armor. Tends to come in larger amounts on weapons than the other types, and performs better than blunt against padded armor.
Pierce Damage: Reduced the least by padded armor. Effective vs mail, somewhat poor effectiveness against plate.
Blunt Damage: Reduced the least by both mail and especially plate armor types. The least effective against padded armor.
Other Combat Values[edit]

Currently, there are three more values used in the damage formula that this page has not yet mentioned: Speed Bonus, Character Damage Bonus, Sweetspot Bonus.

Speed Bonus is generate by first finding the speed vector to use. This is found by looking at the contact point between the weapon and player character. Once this is done, the game adds the attacker and defender velocities along the speed vector. This final value in m/s is used to calculate the bonus to be applied to raw damage.

Character Damage Bonus is the amount shown from the Barracks character page. Raw damage is multiplied by this percent.

Sweetspot Bonus is found by looking at where (in time) a collision took place for a specific attack. Within the starting and ending points of an animation, there are three more points that define the sweetspot bonus value to be used. The sweetspot bonus start value of .85, the sweetspot bonus end value also of .85, and the sweetspot bonus peak of 1.

The general rule of thumb here, is that when you have space between yourself and an opponent (ensuring you hit with the blade, and thus at an appropriate time), hitting him when he is directly in front of you should result in a peak sweetspot bonus value of 1. Furthermore, as his location drifts towards the edges of your screen (left or right) this causes you to hit earlier or later in the animation, resulting in a lower sweetspot bonus. Because the peak value is only '1', the sweetspot bonus should be thought of as a malus rather than an actual bonus that increases damage.

WAAAAAH I'M DYING A LOT
So does everyone else, this game is a little unforgiving but it manages to make that fun. Level up, progress up, get skill and armor and good weapons and then murder the new peasants, it is the circle of life. Also make sure you equip the tunic right away so you can unlock armor that isn't scrub-tier.

I wanna play with goons!
Join us in slaughtering pubbies on mumble:
mumble.goonrathi.com
Password: mellon

:siren: Press T to yell, never not yell :siren:

Turkina_Prime fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider
This is a good game. I like this game.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I am enjoying this dumb game.

:siren: Equip your Tunic as the Shirt is a complete newbie trap that doesn't get you any armor unlocks. Many items you unlock don't have any further unlocks, so make sure to click the Progression button to see if you are at the end of a line.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
If you wanted a second coming of CRPG then this will not disappoint. A+ would internet swords again and accidentally (mostly) tk.

Also, gently caress peasants.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I have fun killing peasants and raging at getting team killed.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Can you feature my video of me ending a match with 76 kills? I need people to know how good I am.

rage-saq posted:

If you wanted a second coming of CRPG then this will not disappoint. A+ would internet swords again and accidentally (mostly) tk.

Also, gently caress peasants.

Are you FLK Saq?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Yes, we are using FLJK currently (Feudal Like Joffrey K).

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Nalin posted:

Yes, we are using FLJK currently (Feudal Like Joffrey K).

SAQ TKed the gently caress out of me. I probably called him poo poo a few times, I'm WEEDBABYGOKU420 and this is my video.

The first couple minutes are a bit rough and include me alt tabbing while waiting for a round to end because I couldn't spawn. Its probably best to skip to about 1/3rd in. And unfortunately the in game text is so small you can't read any of it in the video.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 25, 2016

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

VulgarandStupid posted:

SAQ TKed the gently caress out of me. I probably called him poo poo a few times, I'm WEEDBABYGOKU420 and this is my video.

The first couple minutes are a bit rough and include me alt tabbing while waiting for a round to end because I couldn't spawn. Its probably best to skip to about 1/3rd in. And unfortunately the in game text is so small you can't read any of it in the video.

I said in mumble as soon as I saw your name, "that's a loving goon.".

You should play with us, man.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
HOLY poo poo YES

How do servers work do they contribute to a crpg style control map, is it just one big world (mmo), something else?

Buying this on steam immediately tomorrow

Usenet Magic-User fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 25, 2016

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Usenet Magic-User posted:

HOLY poo poo YES

How do servers work do they contribute to a crpg style control map, is it just one big world (mmo), something else?

Right now it's literally just a battleground mode but the rumor is Epic mode ( the persistent world ) will be in Sept 1st.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Any chance goons will be doing a thing together from the ground floor

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

HOLY poo poo YES

Buying this on steam immediately tomorrow

http://www.okamwiki.org/w/The_Epic

I'm not sure how crpg works, but that is how The Epic game mode is going to work. Big map, two turns per day.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Well, like Nalin said, some of the FLJK goons got it and we will be trying to do a faction. I estimate there's about 11ish of us so far. Our website is https://forums.goonrathi.com/ We originally formed for Scam Shitizen but lol that's never gonna happen.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

This is the ground floor. I played CRPG with Lots and Lots of Jolly Knights and loved every second of ladderpulting, insulting weeaboos e-honourre and make peasant kabobs from the back of a marmaluke. So far this is a tighter version of that just really early along the process.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I set up a Steam Group, for I don't know what purpose.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonsandmen/

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

VulgarandStupid posted:

Ya I think I was using the pubbie reaper. But then I decided to give board + sword a try and I think I ganked you a few times when I was opposite of you.
There were some good games last night, I think we had 7 goons on mumble at once?

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

VulgarandStupid posted:

I put your video in the OP, if anyone has any screenshots or videos they want added, shoot me a PM.

Bring your friends along to this and let's goonrush this poo poo :getin:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The game should be unlocked on Steam at 12 Pm EST.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Game is live!

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Is there a list somewhere on what features and content the early access version includes? I really like the combat when I played the alpha but if they still only have that king of the hill mode then I think I'll wait.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

kikkelivelho posted:

Is there a list somewhere on what features and content the early access version includes? I really like the combat when I played the alpha but if they still only have that king of the hill mode then I think I'll wait.

They still only have conquest and duel.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

kikkelivelho posted:

Epic mode is hitting around Sept 1st.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The roadmap in the OP is very accurate, except that "The Warrior" line is delayed 1 week until Sept 1st.

Here's a Q&A by the devs:
https://geeksleeprinserepeat.com/2016/08/24/of-kings-and-men-qa/

Also, there is a huge influx of players right now so they are working on bringing more servers online. I heard a conquest match got up to 70v70 before they brought the server down. I mean, poo poo, I experienced 32v32 in the pre-alpha and I can't imagine the clusterfuck 70v70 would be when every single person is a peasant.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This seems good, but also the corpses just hanging around in T-pose is real creepy.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They said it's a bug right now, to set corpses to Zero.

scarygary
Apr 8, 2011

Orv posted:

This seems good, but also the corpses just hanging around in T-pose is real creepy.

Those Corpses are Clearly working as intended..

This game is hopefully going to be fantastic over time, I am excited to see what comes out of it once the polish comes out! hopefully it goes well for them!

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Updated OP with the weapons/armor guide. It's pretty useful.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

You may as well take the drop box link/section out as its Steam EA only. Maybe include links for Humble or GMG to save a few bucks.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Steam says 1026 people are in OKAM right now.

If only I had my horse and lance/war spear...

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
The hit detection is dogshit in this build, I want to wait and wait for patches but when I do that, I'm going to be going up against literally everyone wearing armoured plate. This is the same problem cRPG had.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Game's terrible. Archery is piss poor, the tutorial is bare bones, the default camera position is terrible and I found no way to change it, and the sword play is literally the same as Mount and Blade but somehow worse. not only that, but this is made by the morons who thought that people would have fun as peasants being clowned on by mounted knights with full plate for ten hours before being able to buy a single piece of armour. Avoid like the plague, at least at this stage until they tighten it up considerably.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Has there been a hit detection change since EA? It could be wonky at times in the pre-EA release but it was close enough. I wonder if server load is causing some extra processing lag so it looks/feels worse.
The grind is real, its both a problem and a feature of CRPG, but its a lot better if you are chilling on mumble with some fellow goons working on chasing down peasants. Peasants are a critical part of the food chain, they are a sweet, delicious snack that everyone fights over.
You don't have to "buy" armor in OKAM, the gear you are wearing is leveled up by the XP you gain during the round from various things and also the big end of round bonus. Tier1 is still fairly easy (even if you are bad) and Tier2 doesn't take much more beyond that.

edit: aww, looks like you start with a few more items than bare peasant in EA. Probably a good idea for ramping up interest but also probably temporary.

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 25, 2016

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
I'm playing this with goons right now. It's pretty fun.

Orv
May 4, 2011

rage-saq posted:

Has there been a hit detection change since EA? It could be wonky at times in the pre-EA release but it was close enough. I wonder if server load is causing some extra processing lag so it looks/feels worse.
The grind is real, its both a problem and a feature of CRPG, but its a lot better if you are chilling on mumble with some fellow goons working on chasing down peasants. Peasants are a critical part of the food chain, they are a sweet, delicious snack that everyone fights over.
You don't have to "buy" armor in OKAM, the gear you are wearing is leveled up by the XP you gain during the round from various things and also the big end of round bonus. Tier1 is still fairly easy (even if you are bad) and Tier2 doesn't take much more beyond that.

edit: aww, looks like you start with a few more items than bare peasant in EA. Probably a good idea for ramping up interest but also probably temporary.

Except now they're selling this thing for money, and people can get refunds, so making a feature of the game "You get butchered like a fat hog for six hours and then maybe start getting kills" isn't going to maintain a big enough player base to make Epic interesting.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

The thing is, you don't get butchered like a hog if you learn how to fight, because glancing hits aren't a thing unlike in mount and blade, where if you hit a fully armored knight as a low level, it just bounces off. Once you get the hang of the combat system, you can easily kill fully armored dudes as a peasant with a lovely club. Plus there isn't gold to grind, so as soon as you have enough experience, you automatically unlock the next tier of armor.

Take less than an hour to figure out the combat.

Turkina_Prime fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 26, 2016

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I dunno man for me it's pretty easy to top the score board, but if you're not used to games like this it takes some training. Unfortunately the training mode with bots is gone right now. The easiest way to block is just to follow the hands, what's where the strike will come from.

Most of the weapons are good, especially the starting axe. One handed animations are crazy OP right now, and the shields are still getting free blocks. The shields can even block and still complete their attack under certain conditions. The two handed club is the worst starting weapon for sure. The small axe will two hit most everyone and the pole axe is capable of one hit kills. Two handed weapons currently have the worst animations, but all of the hand and a half swords are messed up and doing one handed mode, which is crazy over powered.

Right now I think movement and attack speed are the best stat dumps.

The thing that is annoying me the most right now is I'm an east coaster and I want to play with my West Coast buddies but it keeps putting us on different servers.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
god drat it, i forgot about this

Orv
May 4, 2011

BurtLington posted:

The thing is, you don't get butchered like a hog if you learn how to fight, because glancing hits aren't a thing unlike in mount and blade, where if you hit a fully armored knight as a low level, it just bounces off. Once you get the hang of the combat system, you can easily kill fully armored dudes as a peasant with a lovely club. Plus there isn't gold to grind, so as soon as you have enough experience, you automatically unlock the next tier of armor.

Take less than an hour to figure out the combat.

Let's not even begin to pretend that understanding the combat will let you stand up to the people with hundreds of hours of M&B/cRPG MP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Orv posted:

Let's not even begin to pretend that understanding the combat will let you stand up to the people with hundreds of hours of M&B/cRPG MP.

They are just more skilled with a complex fighting system, so it makes sense they would be better. But if you wait until they attack your peasant buddies, you can time an attack right to their back. Plus with servers being 70v70 right now, there are many, many targets of all skill ranges to attack.

I had no problem killing a bunch of people with an axe and a shield while in peasant clothing. The hardest part is getting used to the combat and it took me about 4 days of going around 1:6 kdr before I finally "got it".

• Locked thread