Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bike without wheels
Jan 2, 2005

this post

King Vidiot posted:

Or maybe Alejandro Jodorowsky could direct

oh wait, that'd never work

they could release the movie with a tie in game by the no mans sky devs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
i am thoroughly convinced, thanks thread. i was gonna go out tonight but i may round up people and drink while watching dune instead.

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

It's okay if you just finished the book and you want to have some "aha! I remember that!" moments otherwise I don't think it's a very enjoyable movie to watch it hasn't aged well.

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

i am thoroughly convinced, thanks thread. i was gonna go out tonight but i may round up people and drink while watching dune instead.

ive never seen it

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
McG.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
My favourite part of the extended cut is when Paul finally gets to see and touch raw, unrefined spice and it looks like cheeto dust.

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx

ultrabindu posted:

My favourite part of the extended cut is when Paul finally gets to see and touch raw, unrefined spice and it looks like cheeto dust.

why would anyone do that? what is this movie about? :confused:

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

just ray posted:

ive never seen it

come over to my house tonight. where do you live.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

just ray posted:

no idea, your guess is as good as mine

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
There's a 3 hour or something extended cut that some nerd made by stitching together bits from all the different cuts and TV edits or whatever. It's a bit janky, but at least it feels like a complete movie. https://yadi.sk/i/kciUCmMSiRhHS

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

just ray posted:

It's basically Star Wars.

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

come over to my house tonight. where do you live.

alpha centari

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

just ray posted:

alpha centari

You mean Proxima Centari.

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx

Applewhite posted:

You mean Proxima Centari.

actually that was a cut and paste from the movie "dune", which i have never seen and never will see

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

just ray posted:

actually that was a cut and paste from the movie "dune", which i have never seen and never will see

Actually you're watching it right now. The movie is this thread.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Applewhite posted:

We are all Fremen here.

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx

Aubergine Mage posted:

We are all Fremen here.

whats that?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The lesson of Dune is that the way to solve all political problems is jihad, aka a war of racial genocide.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

Applewhite posted:

:ducksiren: :aaaaa:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I want a Jackie Chan version of Dune. There is juuuuust enough knife-fighting in it to perfectly bridge that stylistic gap and be believable as both a Jackie Chan movie and a Dune movie.

The end scene could swell into one huge brawl with Shaddam handing out surrogate knives to half the Landsraad.

Imagine the iconic set pieces like worm-mounting, anti-grav suits and thigh pads full of urine and feces to be mined for slapstick comedy.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

shadow puppet of a posted:

I want a Jackie Chan version of Dune. There is juuuuust enough knife-fighting in it to perfectly bridge that stylistic gap and be believable as both a Jackie Chan movie and a Dune movie.

The end scene could swell into one huge brawl with Shaddam handing out surrogate knives to half the Landsraad.

Imagine the iconic set pieces like worm-mounting, anti-grav suits and thigh pads full of urine and feces to be mined for slapstick comedy.
u wot m8

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

lilljonas posted:

Roger Ebert gave Dune 1 star out of 4 and wrote, "This movie is a real mess, an incomprehensible, ugly, unstructured, pointless excursion into the murkier realms of one of the most confusing screenplays of all time."[17]

Roger Ebert was also hella wrong.

Ebert shat on Blade Runner on it's initial release as well, I believe giving it 2 1/2 stars solely on the visuals and crapped all over the plot, but put it in his list of Great Movies and gave the Final Cut four stars before he died.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Even before he got mouth cancer Ebert's greatest love in life was making lovely rice cooker steamed chicken and bagged vegetables in his hotel room. He has no taste. Lynch's Dune is the greatest movie.

Sorry, but Ebert's greatest love in life was the female breast, especially if it was attached to a black woman.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Aubergine Mage posted:

We are all Fremen here.

Fremen on the land

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
im like the kwisatz haderach of posting

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Youre more like the honored matre of posting except youre the opposite of a superhuman sex machine with a mind controlling pussy

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

dogmother1776 posted:

It's okay if you just finished the book and you want to have some "aha! I remember that!" moments otherwise I don't think it's a very enjoyable movie to watch it hasn't aged well.

you're wrong

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
"place your dick in the box"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Young Freud posted:

Ebert shat on Blade Runner on it's initial release as well, I believe giving it 2 1/2 stars solely on the visuals and crapped all over the plot, but put it in his list of Great Movies and gave the Final Cut four stars before he died.

This is defensible tbqh

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

DrPossum posted:

"place your dick in the box"

THE POON

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
it's a good movie

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

hell yeah

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
the ideal human form

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Applewhite posted:

It's basically Star Wars.

This is interesting because Lynch turned down an offer to direct Return of the Jedi.

If only...

epileptic_ev
Aug 25, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
movie and book made joe yuppie retard into self-proclaimed sci-fi experts after one read or watch

lel

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

in high school i tried to bullshit a book report about dune but i forgot that high school teachers are nerds and it didnt work out, whoops

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
dont stand so close to me

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
my favorite part about the movie is that the dialogue is cribbed word-for-word from the book

it's a good book but the characters don't talk like people and the movie pretty much proves it

the sets in the movie are so loving good though, rich and amazing set design just doesn't exist like that anymore in this day of good cgi
e: and the costumes are really good too. dune as a book leaves so much to imagination because the universe is so bizarre and fantastic and the movie does a great job of conveying that visually.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 25, 2016

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

RyokoTK posted:

my favorite part about the movie is that the dialogue is cribbed word-for-word from the book

it's a good book but the characters don't talk like people and the movie pretty much proves it

the sets in the movie are so loving good though, rich and amazing set design just doesn't exist like that anymore in this day of good cgi

They don't talk like people because they are from an insular class of society, it's supposed to sound weird. I recall in the book Dune there is one scene where "regular jackoffs" have some dialog, I think it's foot soldiers disembarking from the Highliner. Their dialog sounds a lot more natural.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Someone please make a phone app that makes the emperors throne room noise for when I have to rush to get pants on after buzzing up the pizza guy to my apartment.

And have it randomly play the high keen soundtrack notes whenever it detects someone motionless and whispering via the microphone and accelerometer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

notZaar posted:

They don't talk like people because they are from an insular class of society, it's supposed to sound weird. I recall in the book Dune there is one scene where "regular jackoffs" have some dialog, I think it's foot soldiers disembarking from the Highliner. Their dialog sounds a lot more natural.

yeah dog i get that. but when the words are written out it's easier to parse. it's still a long rear end movie filled with jilted and terrible dialogue. books are a different medium from film and when you're adapting a book it's ok to change the dialogue so it sounds more pleasing to the ear.

• Locked thread