Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Hope you guys are excited for the Zack Snyder remake that's coming out next year.

It's Scarlet Johanson and Matt Damon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i hear that the film has weird AIDS poo poo (the barons grody splodin' boils?) but as someone who wasn't yet nutted out when the AIDS panic was in full swang I don't totally get it

like "full blown AIDS" gives a very specific mental image and while I understand skin lesions are a part of end stage AIDS, the fat floaty spurting monster murder man pulling heartplugs out of lil blond kids is not quite a part of the aforementioned mental image

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

skasion posted:

Jodos sci fi comic books (Metabarons/Technopriests/especially Incal) are really good which is I think what gives some people the idea that a Jodo Dune would have been the best poo poo ever

yeah i've only read incal but it was pretty fuckin wild

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

Gatekeeper posted:

i hear that the film has weird AIDS poo poo (the barons grody splodin' boils?) but as someone who wasn't yet nutted out when the AIDS panic was in full swang I don't totally get it

like "full blown AIDS" gives a very specific mental image and while I understand skin lesions are a part of end stage AIDS, the fat floaty spurting monster murder man pulling heartplugs out of lil blond kids is not quite a part of the aforementioned mental image

When you're that fat you probably need aids for a lot of things. Mobility is tough.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Gatekeeper posted:

He was supposed to be a scary homosexual man so it makes sense to throw AIDS in, seeing as it's a highly infectious incurable disease that is closely associated with gay sex.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Gatekeeper posted:

Ehh.

In the book (maybe books, only read the original), Harkonnen is a gay dude, which is supposed to be a sign of just how wrongheaded and perverse he is.

In the film he's just a terrifying fat sociopath who is extremely ill. He has a weirdo twink bring him flowers and kills him for a lark but like ultimately you could see it as him just getting off on destroying fetishised innocence without him being gay imo.

I feel like the AIDS thing is a modern imposition on the film but maybe that's just me.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

jBrereton posted:

Ehh.

In the book (maybe books, only read the original), Harkonnen is a gay dude, which is supposed to be a sign of just how wrongheaded and perverse he is.

In the film he's just a terrifying fat sociopath who is extremely ill. He has a weirdo twink bring him flowers and kills him for a lark but like ultimately you could see it as him just getting off on destroying fetishised innocence without him being gay imo.

I feel like the AIDS thing is a modern imposition on the film but maybe that's just me.

He comes off as pretty homo in the movie overall. sweatily mumbling about lovely Feyd and all that

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Gatekeeper posted:

El Topo and Holy Mountain are def cool movies and it's fun how jodorowsky was like "yes! i am into buddhism, and also hinduism, catholics are cool also, check out this native american thingy I got at the gift shop at the continental divide in new mexico! let's go down to the new age tarot card fortune teller's crystal store and buy a bunch of neat statues and tapestries and make a movie out of them!" like you can tell he's genuinely just really excited about every religious concept he stumbles across and he haphazardly throws everything together along with imagery specifically chosen "because fucken it looks cool!"

lynch has a very specific reason for everything that happens in his poo poo, it's the way he first imagined it while writing the story, it's personal and intentional and it doesn't matter how anyone else interprets it, it means something to lynch and he enjoys the knowledge that it'll mean something different to everyone else who sees it

jodorowsky is all "hahaha hosed up right?"

but the weird shocking "how effed up can I make this poo poo?" stuff is applied to personal stories he really wants to tell, that's why I enjoy his stuff beyond replying "hahaha yes dude, hosed up" to ol' alejandro.

With lynch, it's fun to watch his stuff and try to decipher what he was thinking, comparing your own reaction to the material to lynch's work as a whole and seeing what it tells you about the themes of the story, so you walk away with a your own very personal interpretation of an already incredibly personal work

with jodorowsky it's fun to watch his stuff and go "drat that's fuckin gnarly, also hmm his thoughts on the concept of a christ are interesting and a nice excuse for this intentionally insane imagery"

both are very fun things to do, and are very cool

Also jodorowsky did a lil movie called Santa Sangre that was basically the most amazing remake of Psycho you could ever imagine, it's extremely good and should be seen by you all

Seems like a good analysis. I wouldn't downplay Jodorowsky's analysis of society and individuals, though. He definitely has an unique approach to things.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

He comes off as pretty homo in the movie overall. sweatily mumbling about lovely Feyd and all that
Yeah mb. Feyd's handsome though. Especially compared to his lardy brother.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Skip the movie and just play the gently caress out of the Virgin Interactive game.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The best thing about finding that deleted scene where Thufir commits suicide than kill Paul is that there's a wide shot that confirms the Atreides pug survived the battle of Arrakeen, because he's being held by a Fremen child.

jBrereton posted:

Ehh.

TBF, it wasn't until recently (like in the last 10-15 years) I had seen the theatrical version despite watching it countless times on TV and when that scene came up, because it was excised from the TV edits, I read it as the Baron raping the twink in the heart plug. It is another orifice, after all :barf: Also, the blood splatter from that scene is more like ejaculation than the other instances of the heart plugs being yanked.

Also, it never occurred to me that the Baron had a heart plug when Alia slices him with her gom jabbar. I had originally thought it was just viscera from her stabbing him.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The book baron, his gayness is character trait. He is an absolute fucker in a different way. He is smart, he has serious beef with atreides, and he's cunning. He is not AIDS-Metaphor Homo Satan like in the lynch version. My biggest gripe is honestly how the harkonnen are handled in the lynch version. His sons are legitimate morons and he's weaving these intricate plans, trying desperately to both educate his sons in the high stakes of interstellar politics while also setting up a hegemony that will outlast his dumb and sadistic sons.

Maybe would seem pretty boring on film

LT56
Sep 9, 2016

by Smythe

hemophilia posted:

The book baron, his gayness is character trait. He is an absolute fucker in a different way. He is smart, he has serious beef with atreides, and he's cunning. He is not AIDS-Metaphor Homo Satan like in the lynch version. My biggest gripe is honestly how the harkonnen are handled in the lynch version. His sons are legitimate morons and he's weaving these intricate plans, trying desperately to both educate his sons in the high stakes of interstellar politics while also setting up a hegemony that will outlast his dumb and sadistic sons.

Maybe would seem pretty boring on film

Social hegemony really is a delicate topic,, unless you are a sociology junkie :)

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LT56 posted:

Social hegemony really is a delicate topic,, unless you are a sociology junkie :)

im afraid this triggered me for some reason

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

AIDS-Metaphor Homo Satan would make a great username

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Is there a definitive print of the book? I haven't read it since highschool and this thread is making me want to grab a copy.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I have a really early edition, first or second, it might be worth some money. I'll sell it to you for $500 regardless of what edition it actually it is, the quality it's in (i haven't seen it in a long time but it's certainly rotting in a box).

There's your definitive.

Herbert never revised the book IIRC so real talk unless you're talking about getting a collectible for bragging rights they're all the same, you might get a forward from an author nobody gives a gently caress about, or his hack son, if you look for something recent.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

jBrereton posted:

Ehh.

this is exactly how i read it too, in the book the baron killing some lil servant boy played like "devious homosexual", in the movie not so much, more "sociopathic monster". his gushing over sting was a bit homoerotic but it seemed more like a fetishisation of ubermensch poo poo than just some kind of gay incest lust or something

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

SnowblindFatal posted:

Seems like a good analysis. I wouldn't downplay Jodorowsky's analysis of society and individuals, though. He definitely has an unique approach to things.

agreed. i didn't mean to downplay it, he's got some really interesting poo poo to say about people.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

of all the poo poo lynch pulled from nowhere and put into this movie, the constant pugs are my favorite :kimchi:

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
its got david bowie in it so i guess if you like "rocket man" david bowie its the flick 4 u

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

reallivedinosaur posted:

its got david bowie in it so i guess if you like "rocket man" david bowie its the flick 4 u

what? no, it has Sting.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what? no, it has Sting.

thats the character name the guy playing him is named "david bowie" he used to be in a band in the 70s, part of the whole "british invasion"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i really like the spicediver edit, it's amazing how a simple thing like section titles makes the length bearable

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Lovely Sting

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
"But Sire we can't leave all that spice!"

-David Lynch

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puld_CMrgms

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
spice is nice
i like spice on rice
nice spicey rice that looks like lice

- david "sting" bowie

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
they totally copied the sandworm thing from beetlejuice though

should try original ideas for once

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

reallivedinosaur posted:

they totally copied the sandworm thing from beetlejuice though

should try original ideas for once

the whole things is obv star wars

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

sinking belle posted:

Lovely Sting

This is hilarious.

And Princess Irulan was a fox and I'm sad that we don't live in an era where CAA maintains a creepy instagram account on her behalf.

I would observe her kanly.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Wormsign.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

We have wormsign the like of which even God has never seen

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

skasion posted:

We have wormsign the like of which even God has never seen

drat when big ed drops that line his voice makes my dingle tingle

the way he enunciated GOD is a cream dream

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gatekeeper posted:

drat when big ed drops that line his voice makes my dingle tingle

the way he enunciated GOD is a cream dream

Hes so good

quote:

Muad'dib

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Stilgar's speech about the strength of the base of the pillar is in my top 5 movie moments of all time. Those wailing falsetto notes as he decides upon his true name. :shudder:

That is some amazing casting, to find someone as immediately fatherly as Jurgen Prochnow.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
The movie is a classic, in many ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
i dunno if it was any good they would have made a sequel

remember "the black hole" that was a good movie, had some sassy robot in it iirc and a chick in tight pants

• Locked thread