Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

photomikey posted:

Great reading comprehension. That's exactly what I meant. Navigating the Bering Strait in a $10k jalope sailboat in February, dodging icebergs and 100 knot winds and rain and hail and snow blowing horizontal.

Not, you know, busting across a 50 mile strait in July in warm waters and calm winds, staying otherwise within a few miles of shore, IN LINE WITH THE REST OF MY POST.

lmao ok buddy

photomikey posted:

I would have no hesitancy bouncing up and down the coast, or really anywhere within a few miles of shore, on my $10k piece of poo poo sailboat. There may be a huge gap between it and the kind of boat you would circumnavigate the globe in, but IMHO the point is could you do it starting with $10k and a year's salary instead of $100k and a year's salary, and IMHO the answer is yes you could. You'd have all of North and South America.

Summary: "You don't need a lot of money to travel the world because cheapo boats can still stick close to shore. This gives you north and south america to explore."

photomikey posted:

If you crossed at the bering strait (50 miles), you'd then have all of Asia and Europe and Africa. You don't need to be independently wealthy to do this. You just need to be smart with money.

"If you cross at the narrowest point, you can even explore asia europe and africa!"

Like, someone else tell me if I actually am the dumb one here, but your post very much makes it sound like you think crossing the strait in a cheap boat is A Thing that people could safely do. Hell, even in summer you're looking at water temps of ~50f (http://www.beringclimate.noaa.gov/bering_status_overview.html) which gives you an expected survival time of, at best, a few hours in summer and at worst a few minutes in winter if you go overboard(http://www.ussartf.org/cold_water_survival.htm). You are objectively incorrect, without even taking into consideration the political problems that someone else already mentioned. I really hope you never own a boat or advise anyone on the same.

grumplestiltzkin fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I own a boat. You should see someone about your anger issues.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
He said he owned a '10k piece of poo poo sailboat'. There seems to be a time when you try to read threads on the forums as you always have and every single thread there is some loving spergy nerd that reminds you that you'd never actually talk to anyone like that in real life. So you read less threads.. until one pops up that looks cool.. so you read it and sure enough there is some stupid oval office once again.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

A 10k boat which if he attempts to cross the bearing straight will be his grave. I don't see the sperg more than the goon in a well sailboat.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

photomikey posted:

I own a boat. You should see someone about your anger issues.

Sorry, I didnt realize that pointing out that you were objectively wrong meant I was angry. My bad. I like how you aren't trying to defend your statements anymore though. Does this mean you realize you're wrong?:shobon:

Ice
May 29, 2014
Do you have to phone ahead to a port or can you just show up? Does customs inspect your boat ever? Is there an equivalent to an air traffic controller around busy ports to make sure boats don't run into each other? What happens if you get some place and there is no where for your boat to go? How much, if anything, do places charge for you to keep you boat tied up, or do you set an anchor off shore? Thanks for the stories and pictures!

Kjeks
Feb 21, 2005

Spoggerific posted:

What kind of camera do you have? I'm particularly interested in how you got the underwater pictures.

Just a regular GoPro 4 for the underwater pics.

Eccles posted:

I'm guessing that motion sickness isn't a problem for either of you. If it was, how did or do you overcome it?

Fortunately, none of us suffers from sea sickness. We have yet to throw up :-) Sea sickness can be a big problem for those who suffer from it. Usually it goes away after 2-3 days, but in some cases it doesn't. Then it becomes real dangerous. You can die from dehydration if you're sea sick for a long time.

Ice posted:

Do you have to phone ahead to a port or can you just show up? Does customs inspect your boat ever? Is there an equivalent to an air traffic controller around busy ports to make sure boats don't run into each other? What happens if you get some place and there is no where for your boat to go? How much, if anything, do places charge for you to keep you boat tied up, or do you set an anchor off shore? Thanks for the stories and pictures!

Good question. Short answer: there's no answer to it. It depends on where you are. In Europe, you can usually just show up at a marina and find an available slip. We use to check online before we go to our next port, to see if there's any procedures for arrivals. Usually you can call up the port at VHF channel 12 or 16 and ask where they want you to put the boat. Most major ports have a port control (traffic control), but they usually just deal with larger ships, not small pleasure crafts. Entering busy ports can be a bit scary, but it usually works out. I think Miami was the busiest port vi visited. New York had surprisingly little boat traffic.
Customs visited us three times in Europe. Just routine checks, and they didn't really search the boat much, just filled out a bunch of forms while we waited and answered a couple of questions. Cuba has very strict border protection. You are not allowed to go ashore until you have been visited by a doctor, immigration and customs. To our big surprise, we did not have customs or immigration officials on board in USA - even when we came directly from Havana! We phoned ahead to CBP, and they just told us to come ashore with our documents when we arrived.
Harbour fees varies a lot from place to place. In Europe, you can expect to pay about $30-40 per night. The same in the Caribbean. USA is by far the most expensive place. Be prepared to pay up to $90-100 per night - if you can find an available slip. Fortunately, anchoring is free, so we just stayed one night in a marina for two months going up the coast. In Norway, where we're from, docking costs usually $10-25 per night.

Here's a short video with a slideshow from the trip. It pretty much sums it up: https://vimeo.com/184511355

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Awesome thread. Love the pictures.

Do you worry about valuables on board when you leave the boat?

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

Kjeks posted:

Stocking up with bottled water before an Atlantic crossing.

Is the no water conversion kit SALT WATER -> DRINKABLE?

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

Kjeks posted:

Harbour fees varies a lot from place to place. In Europe, you can expect to pay about $30-40 per night. The same in the Caribbean. USA is by far the most expensive place. Be prepared to pay up to $90-100 per night - if you can find an available slip. Fortunately, anchoring is free, so we just stayed one night in a marina for two months going up the coast. In Norway, where we're from, docking costs usually $10-25 per night.

When you anchor how do you get from the boat to the mainland? Do you have a small dingy?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

DaRealAce posted:

Sure, there's reverse osmosis saltwater-freshwater purifiers available - and everyone sailing far from shore should at least have a small hand-operated one in their safety kit - but the water they produce can be kinda lousy-tasting. They also require a fair amount of power, some of them run off of the main engine and others off of AC or DC voltage.

Kjeks
Feb 21, 2005

hot sauce posted:

Awesome thread. Love the pictures.

Do you worry about valuables on board when you leave the boat?

We always lock the hatches when we leave the boat. There are many incidents of locals as well as other cruisers breaking into boats to steal stuff. Often at night, while people are sleeping inside the boat. But I guess the risk is relatively small, as long as you don't flash valuables around. We didn't experience any theft during two years trip. Actually, the only person who has come on board uninvited was here in Norway a couple of weeks ago. A junkie stepped on board to "have a look" while I was below deck.

DaRealAce posted:

There is. A desalinator / watermaker. It converts salt water to pure drinking water by running it through multiple filters and a membrane. They are expensive, though. A proper one costs around $5,000 and upwards. People who sail for three years or more use to buy one. If you're just sailing for a year or two, I don't think it's worth it. Although it would be really nice to take a shower every day!

DaRealAce posted:

When you anchor how do you get from the boat to the mainland? Do you have a small dingy?

Usually, we anchor as close to land as possible, without risking running aground if the wind shifts. Then we use an inflatable dinghy do drive to shore. It can be from 50 meters to a kilometer. If you're going cruising, I would prioritize buying a good dinghy.

A typical anchorage:

Also, I would really, really recommend buying a good anchor, like Rocna or Spade if you're going cruising. Then you can sleep well at night. We saw many boats that dragged or had problems setting their anchors. Waking up on a reef on a pitch black night is the worst nightmare.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

A White Guy posted:

So, your boat's 100k value. Ten grand per year for maintenance plus harbor fees = 1,083 dollar per months on 'rent'. I can see some definite advantages to boat living, but you're basically paying a stupendously high amount of money for a moveable 1 bedroom apartment.

If you are spending $10k a year on boat maintenance, you got a seriously fawked up boat.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

What do you do to deal with boredom? Just read a bunch or something? It seems like just sitting on a boat for days would get a little tough.

Really interesting video, by the way.

Long distance sailing is not everyone's cup of tea. Especially if you solo sail.

There has been thousands of 'broken dreams' of couples who wanted to go cruise around the world and just plain gave up after three months.

Time offshore depends mainly on the type of boat and the wind conditions.

One boat may only take two weeks to get to the same port that another boat which may have to sail for three weeks.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

RazNation posted:

If you are spending $10k a year on boat maintenance, you got a seriously fawked up boat.

Yeah, but that includes harbor fees, which, depending on where you are, can be pretty pricey.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yeah, but that includes harbor fees, which, depending on where you are, can be pretty pricey.

Agree, but if you own a Ben Oceanis 41, you should be able to afford the slip fee.

But if you take the slip fees out of the equation, you shouldn't have much in the way of maintenance especially on a 'Plastic Fantastic' Ben 41.

Other than the slip fee, my biggest expense was varnish and maybe diesel fuel.....even at that, all I needed was around 15 gallons of fuel per season.

Unless you live up north where the water freezes and you are forced to haul your boat out for the winter....now that costs.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

RazNation posted:

$10k USD for a 40ish foot sailboat for a year is what I would budget for repairs, if you want to uphold a baseline level of maintenance. Assume some of that goes toward the sail budget (two sails at a minimum, and $5k+ each to replace), engine servicing, rig service (standing and running rigging both need regular repair/replacement) and all the other systems on the boat will need care. You also need to haul and reapply antifouling paint every year or two. Hull should get regular diving and zincs checked/replaced, every couple months or so. Not even including cosmetic stuff like waxing gel coat, varnishing teak, keeping the cabin clean and dry so it doesn't get moldy and stinky...

You can do lots of these things yourself and save money but it all takes time...

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I have owned a few boats, and I've found the "10% of the cost of the boat per annum" rule of thumb to be pretty close, whether it was a $150 dinghy or a $50k sailboat. Now, you can certainly get by for a year with 2%, or maybe for several years, but eventually 5-10 years down the line you're going to need everything, all at once.

If you have a $100k sailboat and you're spending less than $10/yr over the long term, expect a lot of deferred maintenance a few years down the road.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
What's the life-expectancy of a boat anyway, I mean you can't keep it for decades, can you?

e: \/ Thanks.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 30, 2016

Squido
May 21, 2005
Ask me about being a paedophile.

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

What's the life-expectancy of a boat anyway, I mean you can't keep it for decades, can you?

Depends entirely on the type of boat and how it is maintained, there are plenty of examples of very old boats still in great condition, decades of sailing is achievable by most boats.

With regards to cost of maintenance I think it really depends on the owner, that 10% rule sounds pretty good but you will see plenty of people way above and way below that and generally you will see the result in what the boat looks like.

If you take sails for example, the amount of time you can make them last is pretty up in the air depending on what type of sail they are, the material and how/where you use them. Not to mention how well you look after them. I've seen dacron sails that are over 30 years old (but they likely have done half of that in someones loft). Ten years for a set of dacron sails on a lightly used boat is easily achievable, whereas a well raced lightweight laminate suit could be pretty nailed after a season.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

Big Taint posted:

$10k USD for a 40ish foot sailboat for a year is what I would budget for repairs, if you want to uphold a baseline level of maintenance. Assume some of that goes toward the sail budget (two sails at a minimum, and $5k+ each to replace), engine servicing, rig service (standing and running rigging both need regular repair/replacement) and all the other systems on the boat will need care. You also need to haul and reapply antifouling paint every year or two. Hull should get regular diving and zincs checked/replaced, every couple months or so. Not even including cosmetic stuff like waxing gel coat, varnishing teak, keeping the cabin clean and dry so it doesn't get moldy and stinky...

You can do lots of these things yourself and save money but it all takes time...

Well, that depends on if you are talking repairs or talking maintenance. Two different things in my opinion.

As far as sails go, they should last a minimum of five years with proper care. Unless you race and are using the $$$$$ material which means the sails will probably bag by the end of the first season.....if you really are a die hard racer. Of course, the price of replacement depends on what options you get with the sail....fabric, reef points, stack pack, etc etc. The last time I priced a main sail for my 27' Contest, I got a $7k price tag with just a coastal setup (fabric, two reef points, nothing much else)

Other than oil and impeller changes each year, there really isn't that much work needed on the engine. I pull the zincs each time I do the oil just to see if they need to be replaced.

As far as the standing rigging, I just do a dye test once a year and call it good. Quick check for broken strands and maybe a pull test to see if the rig needs to be re-adjusted. Running rigging, I replace when the chafing becomes too much.

I do a quick haul and power wash maybe twice a year if I don't get a diver to scrub the hull and check zincs. Quick haul lets me check the bottom paint and see if I got any blisters. I am pretty sure that if you are replacing zincs every 60 days, you got some boat issues that really need to be looked at.

For me, painting the bottom runs about $7-10/foot for haulout, block, and splash. Paint runs about the same with all zincs replaced. Yard can do this in about three days if they are working on my boat as soon as it gets hauled.

Wash and wax hull and deck is a on going thing along with varnish. As long as you keep up with it, you will not get to spend a week sanding and varnishing that freakin teak. :rant:

Keeping a clean boat is my one pet fetish. I don't even allow cardboard boxes aboard the boat. Roaches and other insects love to hide in those. Having good ventilation helps in keeping the dampness....aka....mold from happening. If you open your boat and it smells musty, you have a ventilation issue. If it smells like the Cat Lady's couch, you have a head issue.

Granted you can save money if you do the work yourself but that depends on the yard. Do they allow you to work on your boat after they haul and block it? Or are they the ones that say 'due to insurance, only approved workers allowed'.....no work done by the boat owners? Or you could go to a yard where they just haul and block and you pay for x amount of time on the hard and you do all the work.

Of course, all of these depends on the boat location and other things. If your boat is up north and you have to haul for winter, your costs will run higher than me who keeps the boat in water 24/7/365.

This is just my experience, yours may be different.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

What do divers typically charge to clean the underside of your boat? What kind of gear do they go down with? Is it just a green brillo pad and a ton of elbow grease, or is there something special they use?

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

As long as you do the preventive maintenance, a boat will last for years.

Back in the day, when boat builders were switching from wooden hulls to the new FOTM fiberglass, they did not know much about how glass would react to sailing conditions and so forth. They tended to build the fiberglass hulls just as thick as the wooden hulls. Boats from the sixties and seventies would have half inch to three quarter inch thick fiberglass. These boats were bomb proof.

The issue today is that old boats tend to have old engines, old rigging, and sometimes original sails. Engines have a certain life span, measured in hours. Repairing/replacing old motors cost a bit of money, especially if the parts are hard to find. Rigging gets old and brittle. Wire strands break, chain plates fail, parts just basically wear out and have to be replaced.....as in the whole rig of the boat should be replaced. Sails tend to bag after a while and will be harder to get a good trim. Most boats sail with old sails which need to be replaced for better sail performance but sailors mostly day or weekend cruise so they don't care.

I have a thread about sailing here on Ask/Tell section if you want to read it. Just some topics about sailboats and such.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740226

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

Icon Of Sin posted:

What do divers typically charge to clean the underside of your boat? What kind of gear do they go down with? Is it just a green brillo pad and a ton of elbow grease, or is there something special they use?

Well, that depends on who you get. Some charge by the boat length, some by the hour.

Nearly all the ones I know of just use plastic bristle brushes and a diving air compressor.

Divers use to talk about a lemonfish that would come up to them while they were underwater. He would just swim up to them and wanted to get scratched. They said the fish had a tendency to make its presence known by swimming up to the diver's face which tended to scare the diver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

RazNation posted:

Well, that depends on if you are talking repairs or talking maintenance. Two different things in my opinion.
Sure, if you run your boat into a piling, that's a repair. If you crash jibe and taco the boom, that's a repair. If a hose fails and the boat sinks at the slip and kills your engine, that's a repair. If you put 7k hours on your diesel and it's worn out and you need to rebuild/repower, that's maintenance. You're probably not doing that annually, but it's not unexpected.

RazNation posted:

As far as sails go, they should last a minimum of five years with proper care. Unless you race and are using the $$$$$ material which means the sails will probably bag by the end of the first season.....if you really are a die hard racer. Of course, the price of replacement depends on what options you get with the sail....fabric, reef points, stack pack, etc etc. The last time I priced a main sail for my 27' Contest, I got a $7k price tag with just a coastal setup (fabric, two reef points, nothing much else)

Dacron sails last for a long time, but they get bagged out and lose their shape after a few years of moderate use. What does that mean? In big breeze, you can't get the sail flat to depower it, which means the boat heels more, which slows you down and isn't very comfortable. Most cruisers/day-sailors just deal with it. Racers at higher levels spend ungodly amounts on sails.

Racers prefer laminate sails over Dacron (polyester). They hold their shape very well and are much lighter than Dacron, reducing weight aloft and thus righting moment (makes the boat heel less/keel ballast is more effective). Instead of stretching out, usually they fail when the mylar film breaks down and you have a big window in the sail. Or the clew pulls off or something. A full suit for offshore racing for my boat would run $100k, easily. You could expect a couple of seasons (of heavy offshore use) out of that.

RazNation posted:

Other than oil and impeller changes each year, there really isn't that much work needed on the engine. I pull the zincs each time I do the oil just to see if they need to be replaced.

I'm including the entire drivetrain in the 'engine' umbrella. Packing glands need repacking, cutless bearings wear out, engine mounts wear out, alternators and starters are electrical devices living in close proximity to salt water and have a much shorter service interval than on land. Fuel hoses get old and crusty, the list goes on and on. And the 10%/yr. figure is an average, not absolute. Some years you're going to get by with regular services. If you're lucky to keep your engine happy enough to wear it out, a repower for a 40' sailboat is probably going to run you $30k.

RazNation posted:

As far as the standing rigging, I just do a dye test once a year and call it good. Quick check for broken strands and maybe a pull test to see if the rig needs to be re-adjusted. Running rigging, I replace when the chafing becomes too much.

When was the last time you pulled the chainplates? How does your mast step look? Sheaves at masthead? Spreaders? Any stainless fasteners in the aluminum spar that aren't insulated well any more and causing the alum to turn to dust? There are many points of failure. And mostly you're replacing standing rigging on a time schedule, not because failure is plainly imminent.

RazNation posted:

I do a quick haul and power wash maybe twice a year if I don't get a diver to scrub the hull and check zincs. Quick haul lets me check the bottom paint and see if I got any blisters. I am pretty sure that if you are replacing zincs every 60 days, you got some boat issues that really need to be looked at.

For me, painting the bottom runs about $7-10/foot for haulout, block, and splash. Paint runs about the same with all zincs replaced. Yard can do this in about three days if they are working on my boat as soon as it gets hauled.

Bottom paint works better when it gets regular cleaning. Even brand new bottom paint gets slimy after a couple weeks/months if you don't wipe it off. Agreed about the zincs, I usually get 6 months or so. But if they were gone after 2 months, I'd rather know then. Some harbors are just 'hot'. If your neighbor has wiring issues and fries your prop, you'll wish you'd had a diver checking it out more often. Plus, your boat sails a lot better with a clean rear end, which is nice.

Haul-outs here in SF Bay are pricey enough that most people aren't having their boat pulled and pressure washed multiple times a season unless they have very large and deep pockets. Many yards won't let owners do their own work, and if they have to pressure wash a ton of muck off your hull you have to pay for disposal of it.

RazNation posted:

Wash and wax hull and deck is a on going thing along with varnish. As long as you keep up with it, you will not get to spend a week sanding and varnishing that freakin teak. :rant:

Keeping a clean boat is my one pet fetish. I don't even allow cardboard boxes aboard the boat. Roaches and other insects love to hide in those. Having good ventilation helps in keeping the dampness....aka....mold from happening. If you open your boat and it smells musty, you have a ventilation issue. If it smells like the Cat Lady's couch, you have a head issue.

Granted you can save money if you do the work yourself but that depends on the yard. Do they allow you to work on your boat after they haul and block it? Or are they the ones that say 'due to insurance, only approved workers allowed'.....no work done by the boat owners? Or you could go to a yard where they just haul and block and you pay for x amount of time on the hard and you do all the work.

Of course, all of these depends on the boat location and other things. If your boat is up north and you have to haul for winter, your costs will run higher than me who keeps the boat in water 24/7/365.

This is just my experience, yours may be different.

• Locked thread