Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Problem description: After putting my laptop on hibernate earlier tonight, I turned it back on and the light turned on, but it was still at a blank screen. I shut it down by holding the power down since this kind of thing's happened on occasion, it's old. Tried turning it back on, it lights up but no response aside from the light turning on.

Attempted fixes: Googled the issue but apparently this specific thing isn't a super common thing. Tried holding down the power, pressure spraying it, and taking out the battery.

Recent changes: Upgraded to Windows 10 a few weeks ago, installed some app I can't remember that Windows said it needed to play PC games with.

Operating system:Windows 10, 64-bit

System specs: ACER Aspire 5511 series, model number NEW75/CPU-AMD Athlon II P320 / 2.1 GHz
Dual-Core, 8GB max memory.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, but feel free to bitch me out for loving something up.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

This is the laptop screen? Do you have an external monitor/TV that you could hook up to?

It sounds like something with the panel could be broken, or disconnected, but I'd hook up to an external source first to test.

Issues with the screen are not terribly uncommon, there's connections and parts that can go bad, which can be swapped, some things are easier than others though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
My TV's not responding after being hooked up to the computer, so I guess it's not that?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Try simple steps first - power off laptop, pull battery, let it sit unplugged with no power to it for ~5 minutes. Replace battery, power on, see if the issue persists. If hooking to an external monitor, make sure you're switching to it using the proper function keys, it's different for each vendor/model but usually FN+F7 or F8 should swap between the laptop display and external. At that point if it works on external but not on the laptop display, it's either a broken display or loose cabling, and Youtube has plenty of instructional videos for how to disassemble and check the LCD if you feel confident enough.

• Locked thread