Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Ghost Dog posted:

i had no idea fabian washington was at one time a 1st round pick i just assumed he was a raiders practice squad player the ravens started during the gregg mattison era cause thats what we were about

4.2 40 in the combine + Al Davis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Redoing the list. #1 is a tie because I don't know a single Chiefs fan who can pick which one of these two they'd take over the other

1. Derrick Johnson - best MLB in Chiefs history (who cares about 1960s football) tied with...
1. Tamba Hali - amazing pass rusher
2. Eric Berry - amazing, won't even have his career derailed by cancer
3. Dwayne Bowe - is kind of a punchline now, but he had quite a few good seasons with the Chiefs and is probably our franchise's best WR ever until Maclin accumulates some more stats
4. Dontari Poe - surprisingly turned into a beast despite a lot of fears he would bust
5. Branden Albert - Really good LT, especially at pass blocking. Had a few injury issues and took a bit to develop, but still real good.
6. Eric Fisher - Gets a lot of poo poo for being the #1 overall and not turning out great, but he has developed year over year and going into this season expectations are pretty high for him. A quality starter.
7. Glenn Dorsey - Kind of a bust? Projections for him coming out of LSU were sky high, he failed at a lot of stuff but became a good run defender at the least. A big, slow immovable anchor kind of DL.
8. Tyson Jackson - A more physically talented, worse Glenn Dorsey. Had disastrous rookie/2nd years, was showing mild signs of improvement before he left for Atlanta.
9. Jonathan Baldwin - The main outright bust on this list in the sense that he never started (Dorsey/Jackson at least started for 2-3 years, granted that was on a line with NO talent, but still, they played plays)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dorsey was played at the wrong position in KC and never stood a chance.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
This looks fun.

Dallas Cowboys
1. DeMarcus Ware, 2005
2. Tyron Smith, 2011
3. Dez Bryant, 2010
4. Travis Frederick, 2013
5. Zack Martin, 2014
6. Mike Jenkins, 2008
7. Byron Jones, 2015
8. Anthony Spencer, 2007
9. Marcus Spears, 2005
10. Felix Jones, 2008
11. Morris Claibourne
12. Bobby Carpenter, 2006

Notes:
Ware's a first-ballot HoFer and I'm glad he got a ring, even if it was with Denver. Behind him are a bunch of guys we've drafted in the last 5 years, which makes me feel pretty good about the team's recent moves. Smith, Bryant, Frederick, and Martin are all Pro Bowlers. So was Jenkins, but after a couple of strong years he bounced around a lot. Currently a backup on the Cardinals. Byron Jones has a lot of potential, and I think a move to Safety will be good for him. Spencer and Spears were good rushing the passer opposite Ware, but didn't create much on their own.Jones, Claibourne, and Carpenter were all busts.

Surprisingly, the Cowboys have been one of the league's best teams at drafting pro bowlers and keeping them on the roster over the last 5-6 years. None of that matters if Romo misses a whole season with injury, or the defense is a dumpster fire, though.

The Cowboys didn't have a 1st-round pick in either 2004 or 2009, but had 2 first-rounders in 2005.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Shath Hole posted:

What drama? His issue was he couldn't stop turning his helmet into a head seeking missile that took out both players. He wasn't terrible in Atlanta, he had his moments, but he just always went for the big hit and it usually ended with him hurting himself.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Chargers:

1. 2004 - Eli Manning (Traded for Philip Rivers + other picks) - Eli netted us Philip Rivers, the best QB in franchise history (i dont care what you say about Fouts, DAD) and other picks that turned into pro bowlers. Rivers has the 2nd longest active starting streak behind Eli, and the only reason he's second is because Eli started first. A++ would draft again.
2. 2005 - Shawne Merriman - Sweet prince flew too close to the sun. Still one of my favorite Chargers ever, an absolute monster for a short period of time.
3. 2011 - Corey Liuget - I'm a lot higher on Liuget than a lot of fans are. He's playing a non glamor position on a bad defense and has no help around him. Having Brandon Mebane and Joey Bosa (lol) should help immensely.
4. 2005 - Luis Castillo - Unlike Liuget, he played the same position on a really good defense, and was thus a bit overrated. He was good, but the defense around him made him look a lot better. Still really good though.
5. 2013 - DJ Fluker - A bit of an inconsistent career thus far, but I like him a lot.
6. 2006 - Antonio Cromartie - gently caress Antonio Cromartie. But unlike some players on this list, he actually had a good year or two.
7. 2011 - Melvin Ingram - Potential potential potential. I'm getting sick of it.
8. 2010 - Ryan Mathews - Had one good year. Hurt all the time and fumblitis.
9. 2003 - Sammy Davis - Ugh.
10. 2008 - Antoine Cason - UGH.
11. 2009 - Larry English - UGHHHH.
12. 2007 - Buster Davis - BUST WAS RIGHT IN HIS NAME

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Metapod posted:

Titans
2008 24 Chris Johnson RB - did you know he ran for 2000 yards? Most electrifying hb in the land
2010 16 Derrick Morgan DE - mediocre pass rushing 43 de turned into good coverage 34 olb
2013 10 Chance Warmack G - good run blocking guard
2005 6 Pacman Jones CB - good corner with off field issues
2007 19 Michael Griffin DB - decent safety that needs good corners around him in order for him to produce
2012 20 Kendall Wright WR - good when allowed to do impromptu routes but bad when expected to run set routes.
2006 3 Vince Young QB - extremely promising rookie year then Fisher ruined him
2009 30 Kenny Britt WR - had a 3 game period of dominance then got hurt and went back to mediocre
2011 8 Jake Locker QB - retired

I thought this said rate and not rank because I'm illiterate so the quoted is now ranked

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

fsif posted:

The Bills had zero (0) playoff appearances in this time frame:

2011 Marcell Dareus - Probably still the most talented player on the team, even if he's kind of a moron
2012 Stephon Gilmore - A close second to Dareus and very underrated
2009 Eric Wood - steady presence and probably a top 10 center
2007 Marshawn Lynch - was a great talent even in Buffalo, but obviously was way better on a competent team
2010 C.J. Spiller - that one Chan Gailey year he played out of his freaking mind. Like, legit best at his position. Never really regained his form and can't stay healthy, though.
2006 Donte Whitner - gently caress Donte Whitner. Overdrafted and merely an average safety
2008 Leodis McKelvin - good depth corner, bad starter.
2013 EJ Manuel - well, there have been worse first-round quarterbacks
2006 John McCargo - lol
2009 Aaron Maybin - m-m-m-m-mega bust
Yep, I see nothing wrong with this. Though the worst part about the Donte Whitner pick is that Haloti Ngata was still on the board, and we needed a DT pretty bad then too.
Kind of sad that the first-round QB whose a mediocre back-up at best is only our third-worst pick over that span.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

1.2008 Joe Flacco- Hofer, Superbowl Mvp, Elite
2. 2006 Haloti Ngata- Hofer, tied for best inside lineman of his generation with vince wilfork. Pretty Rad. sad that hes gone
3. 2007 Ben Grubbs- was one of the best guards in football while he was here, he left so he probably sucks now thats how it works
4. 2011 Jimmy Smith- was meh to start his career, has come on pretty strong of late. Won the superbowl by not holding
5.2009 Michael Oher- starter on a superbowl team i guess? pretty bad but he did give us a lot of ok games when anything worse than ok would have been a disaster
6.2013 Matt Elam- been bad his whole career so far, its a contract year so hes a guaranteed all pro and all browns overpaid former raven next year
7.2005 Mark Clayton- he bad

a nice top end but pretty meh 1st rounders overall. a few years they didnt have picks cause of trading down and generally got some good value out of doing that. ozzie managed to build the entire core of the superbowl winning ravens from 2008 onward pretty much baring a few old holdovers, mostly with 2nd round and later picks.

fake edit: I mentioned the superbowl like 600 times i never did get to gloat about it heres my big shot

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Ghost Dog posted:

2. 2006 Haloti Ngata- Hofer, tied for best inside lineman of his generation with vince wilfork. Pretty Rad. sad that hes gone
3. 2007 Ben Grubbs- was one of the best guards in football while he was here, he left so he probably sucks now thats how it works
4. 2011 Jimmy Smith- was meh to start his career, has come on pretty strong of late. Won the superbowl by not holding
5.2009 Michael Oher- starter on a superbowl team i guess? pretty bad but he did give us a lot of ok games when anything worse than ok would have been a disaster
6.2013 Matt Elam- been bad his whole career so far, its a contract year so hes a guaranteed all pro and all browns overpaid former raven next year

no one on that list is a hofer and we broke ben grubbs after we guaranteed him 5m for this year.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

disagree

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Ghost Dog posted:

a nice top end but pretty meh 1st rounders overall. a few years they didnt have picks cause of trading down and generally got some good value out of doing that. ozzie managed to build the entire core of the superbowl winning ravens from 2008 onward pretty much baring a few old holdovers, mostly with 2nd round and later picks.

fake edit: I mentioned the superbowl like 600 times i never did get to gloat about it heres my big shot

lol if you seriously think Flacco is a HOFer

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TheChirurgeon posted:

lol if you seriously think Flacco is a HOFer

It's been a while, let me re-introduce you to the ghost of the dog that refreshes.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Bears

:lol:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
The Raiders GM/Owner had alzheimers setting in but some franchises have no excuses for such terrible drafting

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

THE TALE OF WOE

1. Tommie Harris
2. [traded for Jay Cutler, 2009, 10]
3. Greg Olsen
4. Kyle Long
5. Cedric Benson
------------------------------ End of list of NFL Players---------------------

6. Shea McClellin
7. Chris Williams
8, 9, 10 No other draft picks to pick from

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 26, 2016

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Blitz7x posted:

The Raiders GM/Owner had alzheimers setting in but some franchises have no excuses for such terrible drafting

Was it really Alzheimer's? Seemed like it was more just desperation.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

NC-17 posted:

To be fair running a team while having advanced skin cancer seems like a rough thing to do.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

NC-17 posted:

Yeah.

It's well documented that he'd basically forget contract negotiations mid session, then agents would lie about how much he'd guaranteed them before a coughing attack or whatever interrupted it.

Belichick almost certainly took advantage of him.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Steelers (* means on the team currently)

Highest pick: 11 (Ben)
Lowest pick: 32 (Hood)
Average position: 22.6

Great pick, would draft again tier
1. * Ben (2004) - Franchise QB, Usually considered a Top 3 or Top 5 in the league.
2. Heath Miller (2005) - Starting TE for a decade and for most years was top 10 at his position. Retired after last season.
3.* Lawrence Timmons (2007) - Has played every game as an ILB since drafting him. Made the Pro Borl in 2014, and was second team All Pro that year.
4.* Maurkice Pouncey (2010) - injured a lot, but otherwise is an excellent center.

Still a good pick, but not on the same level as above
5. *Cam Heyward (2011) - Really came on the last couple years, but is a solid starter as a 3-4 DE.
6. *David Decastro (2012) - Only played hist first full season in 2014, but made Pro-Bowl last year. Good player with injury issues.
7. Santonio Holmes (2006) - Only played his rookie contract with the Steelers, but was very good for that time. Also made the iconic tip toe catch in the Super Bowl. Would be higher, but only played for Pittsburgh a few years.

Might want to rethink that pick tier:
8. Reshard Mendenhall - had a couple 1000 yard rushing seasons, but was also kind of crazy. Just learned he is a writer for Ballers though, so there is that.
9. *Jarvis Jones (2013) - might be too early to tell really. He has been average but seems like he is coming on. Every year since he was drafted is supposed to be his breakout year.
10. Ziggy Hood (2009) - never really materialized into what he was supposed to be. Signed with the Jags who cut him, then to the Bears and Redskins.

Overall, there were no picks that were downright bad. Nobody flamed out spectacularly and everyone played at least their full rookie deal before signing elsewhere or resigning with the team. Six out of ten are still on the team, with one retiring last year. Any other team have that kind of hit rate?

swickles fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 26, 2016

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The last few years for the Vikings have had some really solid drafts. The next Half decade could turn a could a few of these guys from "Good Starter" to "Maybe HOF if they continue to win superbowls"

2007 Adrian Peterson, RB. Somebody mentioned Hall of Fame Players.

Something of a gap.

2012(a) Harrison Smith, S. WATCH THIS
2012(b) Matt Kalil, OT. Not really living up to hype. Harrison drags this year up.
2014 Anthony Barr, LB. Another key part of Zimmer's defense. If he can stay healthy, it's going to be a lot of fun watching the Vikings.
2014 Teddy Bridgewater, QB Very smart, very accurate QB whose done what he's been asked to do and is better than what the talking heads say. Could start for the next decade and half.
2013 (a) Sharrif Floyd, DT Solid, Underrated. Not getting as much press as Lindeval Joeseph or Everson Griffen but isn't a weakness in the least.
2013 (b) Xavier Rhodes, CB. Good to great starting CB.
2013 (c) Cordarrelle Patterson WR. Well, they aren't all perfect. Fast but no real head for the game.
2006 Chad Greenway, LB. Solid, solid player.

Something of a gap.

2009 Percy Harvin, WR. Fast but always either had a headache or was a headache.
2004 Kenechi Udeze, DE Retired because of Lukemia.

2008, 2009 No Pick

WORSE THAN NO PICK.

2005 Troy Williamson, WR HANDS OF STONE.
2005 (b) Erasmus James, DE This is really unfair to Eramsus. He was injured early and never got on track.
2011, Christian Ponder QB. Good looking young man. Likeable, humble, teachable, hard worker. God awful quarterback. Skittish, noodle armed, indecisive and inaccurate. Gendo said it best,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG6dfeYSrXM

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Explain to me Patterson > Harvin

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
Jacksonville Jaguars

1. Reggie Nelson (2007) - Reggie Fuckin Nelson
2. Marcedes Lewis (2006) - Decent TE, I guess
3. Tyson Alualu (2010) - He's OK
4. Eugene Monroe (2009) - Eh
5. Luke Joeckel (2013) - Hmm
6. Justin Blackmon (2012) - Could have bean real good, but couldn't stay sober
7. Blaine Gabbert (2011) - Whoa there, motherfucker. Traded up for him
8. Reggie Williams (2004) - Sucked with a few flashes of briiliance
9. Derrick Harvey (2008) - Traded up for him
10. Matt Jones (2005) - Drafted a QB to play WR, and it somehow didn't work out. Cokehead

Marcedes Lewis was the second best pick. 1995-2004 would have been a much cooler decade to rank.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Darth Brooks posted:

2011, Christian Ponder QB. Good looking young man. Likeable, humble, teachable, hard worker. God awful quarterback. Skittish, noodle armed, indecisive and inaccurate. Gendo said it best,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG6dfeYSrXM

The song was in my head before I even clicked the link. Also, I agree with this list assuming you have Kalil so high and Patterson listed over Greenway because you aren't sorting within that group. It's probably big enough to be split into two groups with a Small Gap between them. The Vikings have had so damned many first round picks recently.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.
Let's travel down this trail of absolute disaster that is the Jacksonville Jaguars

1. Eugene Monroe (2009) - Like...I guess? Monroe's a very good OT, started 62 games before they traded him to the Ravens.

...And here's where it gets a bit murky. Yes. After number one.

2. Marcedes Lewis (2006) - Even taking away the one year he had 10 TDs, Lewis has been a good blocking TE who has some catching ability (though that 10 TD season was an absolute fluke and people held him to that standard every year).
3. Tyson Alualu (2010) - Absolutely shouldn't have been a first round pick, let alone Top 10. Alualu has proven to be a good DL, who's found a spot as a rotational DT in the new defense.
4. Reggie Nelson (2007) - Now, Nelson was...mostly garbage in Jacksonville, but since signing with Cincinnati, he's been a good part of their secondary, finding that hard nosed safety play that actually made him seem like a good draft pick in 07.
5. Luke Joeckel (2013) - Passable LT, probably shouldn't have traded Monroe away in favor him so quickly (especially when he proceeded to break his leg like...the next week). Might lose the starting LT job to Kelvin Beachum this year, but has performed pretty well at LG if that happens.
6. Reggie Williams (2004) - Sort of like Alualu in that he shouldn't have been a first round pick. Not like Alualu in that he never really did anything approaching being worth the pick. Had 10 TDs in 2007, was also arrested 3 times between 2006-2009.
7. Blaine Gabbert (2010) - ...Wait, really? Blaine Gabbert, scourge of the city of Jacksonville, the reason there's t-shirts proclaiming "I Survived Blaine Gabbert," and the guy fans rejoiced at the news of his trade to San Francisco because we didn't think the Jags could get anything for him? Yes. Yes, he's the 7th best out of 10 first round picks for the Jaguars in this time period.

Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

8. Justin Blackmon (2012) - Might be the most talented guy on this list, but still somehow only second in biggest off-field problems. Played one full season, then four games between two suspensions in 2013; that included a 5/136/1TD game against the Rams and a 14/190 game against the Broncos. He's been arrested twice since that suspension, and remains indefinitely suspended by the NFL.
9. Matt Jones (2005) - A converted QB -> WR, Jones was likely only drafted because of his height (6'6"). Managed to be less talented than Reggie Williams, with the substance abuse problems of Justin Blackmon. These 3 first round picks (Williams, Jones, Blackmon) comprise a dark age of Jaguars WRs that exists between the retirement of Jimmy Smith (technically 2005) and the drafting of Allen Robinson.
10. Derrick Harvey (2008) - 3 seasons, 8 sacks. They traded up for him; almost the bust-est of Jaguars busts, except maybe R. Jay Soward.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Ghost Dog posted:

I'm so furious rn

1. 08 Flacco SB47 MVP. Steeler killer
2. 06 Ngata SB47 champion. Owned RG3 From Tonga
3. 11 Smith SB47 champion. Owned Crabtree
4. 09 Oher SB47 champion. Don't let him play LT
5. 07 Grubbs hosed off to lousiana who cares
6. 13 Elam gently caress off back to foot locker
7. 05 Clayton GOD loving drat IT JUST CATCH THE BALL IT'S IN YOUR HANDS

Oberst fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 26, 2016

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Hall of Fame:
Aaron Rodgers (2005, #24 QB) Fellow NFC North fans, I want you to imagine for a brief moment a scenario where in 2008 the Packers decide to keep Favre for another three years and let Rodgers leave in free agency.

Hall of Very Good:
Clay Matthews III (2009, #26 OLB) Without any exaggeration or ulterior motives whatsoever the absolute dirtiest player in the league. Special note: pick acquired by trading with the Patriots.

Serviceable:
BJ Raji (2009, #9 DT) Played a huge part in the Packers' 2010 Super Bowl run. Never the same again afterwards, in part due to injuries, in part due to scheme fuckery. Retired in 2016..
Bryan Bulaga (2010, #23 RT) Struggled with injuries early on, but transitioned into dependability at right tackle for the Packers. Slightly disappointing of a pick as he couldn't hack it at LT.
AJ Hawk (2006, #5 MLB) Brother-in-law to Brady Quinn. Hawk is a hard one to classify. When he was drafted a friend of mine said "He'll play for ten years but he won't be actually any good." And that's exactly what happened! If Hawk was drafted in the third or fourth round he would have been an excellent value pick. At 5th overall, not so much. Was very well-liked by the coaching staff and a long-time locker room leader. This may matter more than football nerds are willing to give credit for. Cut in 2015.
Nick Perry (2012, #28 OLB) Never really showed anything special until having a solid playoff performance last season. Will likely be let go after this season unless he makes a leap.
Datone Jones (2013, #26 DE) Never really showed anything special. Will likely be let go after this season.

Bust:
Derek Sherrod (2011, #32 LT) Destroyed his leg and missed a season and a half. Total bust after returning from injury. Could barely handle blocking. Memorable moment: a heckler at training camp shouting "Come on man, you were a first round pick!" after Sherrod whiffs hard on a training camp block. Cut in 2014.
Justin Harrell (2007, #16 NT) WHO THE gently caress IS JUSTIN HARRELL?! Chronically injured with incurable back problems. Played 14 games in 4 seasons, showing nothing at all. An excellent example of Ted outsmarting himself. Cut in 2011.
Ahmad Carroll (2004, #25 CB) If anyone has that avatar from that one artist Cowboys fan showing Carroll as Flag Man, post it here. Carroll was a horrible bust, even worse than Sherrod and Harrell because Carroll repeatedly and insistently drew pass interference penalties as he couldn't resist putting his hands on the receiver during coverage routes. Memorable moment: The coaching staff forcing Carroll to practice while wearing boxing gloves to help break his habit of grabbing receivers. Cut in 2006, had a long career in the AFL and CFL, retiring after winning the Grey Cup.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

FizFashizzle posted:

Belichick almost certainly took advantage of him.

If you're insinuating he tricked Davis into trading Moss, Lane Kiffin and Michael Lombardi were responsible for that.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
And Richard Seymour?

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

Giants

1) 2004 4 - Philip Rivers; traded him for Eli Manning, the undisputed best QB in franchise history. dude is good, and doesn't get enough credit if you ask me
2) 2014 12 - Odell Beckham; Jerry Reese fell rear end backwards into this pick, but man, OBJ has been excellent and figures to be great if he tunes out the people trying to get in his head
3) 2010 15 - JPP; even though he blew his hand off, JPP has been a presence on the edge for his whole career. don't win the 2011 title without him blocking a field goal against Dallas in Week 14
4) 2013 16 - Justin Pugh; a guy who hasn't gotten Eli killed, great player
5) 2009 29 - Hakeem Nicks; Nicks was a solid receiver in his first stint with the Giants, he had the one Hail Mary catch against the Packers in the divisional round that was amazing to see live. did suffer from stone hands though
6) 2008 31 - Kenny Phillips; Phillips was a serviceable safety, I don't quite remember a time where he was burned terribly. I think the Giants got a ton of value here
7) 2011 19 - Prince Amukamara; Prince always flashed his talent, but could never hold up on the field for too long. always had a nagging injury here and there
8) 2007 20 - Aaron Ross; Ross was a decent player for a while, but fell off a cliff somewhere around 2010
9) 2006 32 - Mathias Kiwanuka; Kiwi was a versatile defensive player, but the millions of injuries to other players left him exposed as like the second best defensive player on the line
10) 2012 32 - David Wilson; Wilson had superior speed, but couldn't hold on to the football. then he was diagnosed with spinal stenosis and never played football again
no pick in 2005, as it was part of the Rivers-Eli deal

overall, I think the Giants have done an okay job at drafting. you could order 5-9 in any way, really.

I think this is a pretty good list. Odell was after the cutoff for this thread but I'm still cool with him being listed.

I'd have Kiwi higher simply because of his longevity which brought some value to the team for longer than a lot of the other guys above him who were better players with shorter peaks. Nicks, Philips, and Wilson all had the talent to be all pros but had various horrible injuries occur that cut their careers short or else the Giants would be looking a lot different nowadays.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the bears got outdrafted by the browns

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Metapod posted:

Explain to me Patterson > Harvin

The years are collected as a group. Patterson, Rhodes and Floyd were picked together. Harvin was amazingly fast but was gone so many games with migraines that happened when he was unhappy.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Darth Brooks posted:

was gone so many games with migraines that happened when he was unhappy.

I feel like this is only said by people who have never had a migraine.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

never having one of those fuckers again has been the best part of the last year for me.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Between 2009 and 2011 Harvin played 15, 14 and 16 games. Doesn't really sound like "gone so many games" to me.

His real injury problems started in 2012 when he blew out his ankle, and then the next year had the hip problems that more or less ended his career. But I highly doubt his problems were the migraines, which I thought were overblown by a beat writer with a grudge anyway.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

thatguyclint posted:

Let's travel down this trail of absolute disaster that is the Jacksonville Jaguars
You're right, Reggie Nelson wasn't so good in Jax. Still one of the better picks they made.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Menamino posted:

I think this is a pretty good list. Odell was after the cutoff for this thread but I'm still cool with him being listed.

I'd have Kiwi higher simply because of his longevity which brought some value to the team for longer than a lot of the other guys above him who were better players with shorter peaks. Nicks, Philips, and Wilson all had the talent to be all pros but had various horrible injuries occur that cut their careers short or else the Giants would be looking a lot different nowadays.

sorry, still haven't forgiven kiwi for letting go of vince young

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

swickles posted:

I feel like this is only said by people who have never had a migraine.

Harvin's migraines not being real are a thing that popped up after Childress left and Harvin seemingly never had one again. He's said it they went away after being diagnosed with sleep apnea and getting a CPAP machine. I'm inclined to believe him due to my mom having long suffered from migraines and how my dad's QoL improved once he got a CPAP but the Twin Cities media went pretty hard with stories about Harvin exaggerating injuries once his time here was done. Especially when he missed his first Seattle training camp and only played in the games vs Minnesota and the Super Bowl that year.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

FWIW Harvin talked about his migraines in Buffalo. Of course, he did later just vanish mid-season sooo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blarfk
Dec 26, 2003

Oberst posted:

I'm so furious rn
1. 08 Flacco SB47 MVP. Steeler killer*

*9-9 against

• Locked thread