Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
One of these days some dude in marketing is going to come up with the idea of preorder reservations where you pay a fee in advance in order to secure that your preorder will be there say 1. With out the preorder reservation you might have to wait up to a month for it to arrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nonsense posted:

Because people intend to sell back the game, and get credit towards gameinformer or the next console. Hardware sales are back in style

do you have to have bought from gamestop to sell to them, or do you get a bonus, or what's the incentive for buying from them?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

do you have to have bought from gamestop to sell to them, or do you get a bonus, or what's the incentive for buying from them?

People watching

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

They accept trade-ins for credit on new releases. Never mind that Best Buy does too, Gamestop did it first and some people just go there for life due to bizarre sunken cost fallacy despite everything about the experience there being horrible.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's not even preorders any more.. Now you pay for "early access" aka "we take your money and never finish the game gently caress you lol"

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

pre-order food

early access food

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

pre-order food

early access food

This has been a thing for a long time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futures_exchange

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

univbee posted:

This has been a thing for a long time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futures_exchange
i mean early access lunch

sandwich still in beta

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

i mean early access lunch

Well pre-ordering is a thing with most delivery applications on smartphones. Also you can get uncooked food which you yourself have to finish.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

crowdfund my lunch

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

sandwich still in feta

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

it's not like this is loving 1997 where not pre-ordering means you might have to wait longer to get a game because the store sold out of their first shipment. poo poo's all digital now.

"hurrrrr yeah i'm gonna give publishers my money in advance so that if it turns out the goddamn reviewers are full of poo poo and the game sucks, i'm locked in to the purchase!! hey why do games keep on sucking and shipping with huge bugs all the time????????"

goddamn you're so loving compulsively desperate to spend spend spend that you can't even wait for the product to be real before you buy it. loving incredible

I haven't read the thread yet, but I'm going to assume some if not many people have disparaged you for having an opinion.

But I want you to know you're right, and I agrre.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

JediTalentAgent posted:

Gamestop employee insulted a customer for not preordering a game soon enough to get a limited edition. Then they insulted another customer for WANTING to preorder a game early. All while bugging you to preorder a game when you check out.

Wasn't there a big story of a guy who preordered and prepaid for a big limited edition of a game from Gamestop only to show up during the day of the midnight launch to pick it up and they told him, "Oh, we plum ran out of that limited edition. We were supposed to get 4, but only got 3, so you should have been here at midnight."

drat dude you just reminded me of painful memories of preordering noted Piece of poo poo Sonic Adventure 2, practically the same thing happened to me with gamestop or ebgames or whatever it was at the time

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

A SCIENCE-FICTION SANDWICH SET IN AN INFINITE PROCEDURALLY GENERATED DELI

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

crowdfund my lunch

So begging on the street?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i preordered Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and I'm glad I did

wish i could say the same for Fallout 4

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.
who even BUYS video games anymore

i just get them for free due to sales or something

and then once in a blue moon i might buy a game if i've been looking forward to it for a long time

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BillmasterCozb posted:

i preordered Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and I'm glad I did

Pre-ordering Nintendo stuff is sometimes OK, mainly because Nintendo hasn't figured out competent distribution yet. Especially stuff not originally made by Nintendo, jRPG's for their non-handhelds.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it also helps that nintendo actually tests for bugs in their games

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah, Nintendo actually puts effort into their games and testing in making sure they're good (well, this also goes for Atlus in the case of #FE), so I know I can trust them

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Y-Hat posted:

Totally random question which is pure coincidence, you've never played a Pokémon game right?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Y-Hat posted:

worst thing you want in a sandwich is a bug

quality control is very important

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

univbee posted:

Well pre-ordering is a thing with most delivery applications on smartphones. Also you can get uncooked food which you yourself have to finish.
And the uncooked food bizarrely often ends up being more expensive than average cooked food

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

univbee posted:

Totally random question which is pure coincidence, you've never played a Pokémon game right?
you got a problem with Bug-type? :mad:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Y-Hat posted:

True it's not like their games ever have weird save issues that can only be resolved by copying your save to an SD card and mailing it to them unless you want to start over and not accidentally walk down hallways in a certain order this time to that the events needed to beat the game actually trigger except for when it happened like three times over with Skyward Sword and some other games of theirs'.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

pre-order food

early access food

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
That looks so ghetto.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk free popcorn and a drink is pretty cool

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

True it's not like their games ever have weird save issues that can only be resolved by copying your save to an SD card and mailing it to them unless you want to start over and not accidentally walk down hallways in a certain order this time to that the events needed to beat the game actually trigger except for when it happened like three times over with Skyward Sword and some other games of theirs'.

The issue was saving and turning off the game at a certain point after triggering a certain cutscene. Since it is very unlikely that you would save there they didn't bother testing it. Though it made absolutely no sense for them to be so convoluted when they had WiiConnect24 and could have easily patched the game. That being said Nintendo isn't exactly the most forward thinking in that regard and it seemed like they really didn't know what to do with consoles being online other than cause the graphics card to overheat from the fan not being on while the system is on standby <_<

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

it's not like this is loving 1997 where not pre-ordering means you might have to wait longer to get a game because the store sold out of their first shipment. poo poo's all digital now.

"hurrrrr yeah i'm gonna give publishers my money in advance so that if it turns out the goddamn reviewers are full of poo poo and the game sucks, i'm locked in to the purchase!! hey why do games keep on sucking and shipping with huge bugs all the time????????"

goddamn you're so loving compulsively desperate to spend spend spend that you can't even wait for the product to be real before you buy it. loving incredible

I am going to create a Steam plugin to have this post sprawled across every Steam Store page.

Please fund my Kickstarter so I have time to create it. Kids to feed and all that...

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

numberoneposter posted:

AN INFINITE PROCEDURALLY GENERATED DELI

this is a game of the year idea right here

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

situationists knew

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I preordered Brink, and hellgate London....

I became smug and acted smart that I'd never fall for a trap again...

Then I bought The Division

Now I definitely have learned my lesson, I swear

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

is anyone else really bothered by the formatting on that

•Medium fountain soda and
•Popcorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Ein cooler Typ posted:

is anyone else really bothered by the formatting on that

•Medium fountain soda and
•Popcorn

Eh. It reminded me that game is now cheap and I've heard good things about Luigi Mansion games.

Things like greatest hits, clearance prices, GOTY versions, bugs, patches, game actually being poo poo are all reasons to never buy games on preorder or launch in general. I don't even Kickstart poo poo any more as it's basically become a preorder program that takes 2+ years most of the time. The only preorder or special order thing I am happy to have done was Panzer Dragoon Saga on the Saturn since they printed gently caress all copies of it. That if the bubble keeps rising I can eventually sell to morons for 1000 bucks in a few years for a 20 hour game.

• Locked thread