Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

The Gospel Coalition is at it again with another list to hit you right in the feels!

https://blogs.thegospelcoalition.org/evangelical-history/2016/08/25/you-might-be-an-evangelical-who-grew-up-in-the-1980-and-90s-if/

Fellow evangelical brothers and sisters just take a listen to these songs and tell me they don't bring back some memories?!

Praise be to Jesus - god bless you all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
you were compelled to testify at the trial but did so behind a screen because you were still a minor

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Whoever first realized came up with the idea of 'Christian Rock' as a genre was a marketing genius.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Have there ever been Christian rock musicians that haven't beaten their wives?

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Do you really expect me to reply to your copy-paste response? You're an intellectually lazy person, and you've yet to refute a single thing I've written, in your own words. By the way, a conspiracy theorist is someone who makes extraordinary claims without proof - such as alien abduction, flat Earth, etc. - but I've done nothing of the sort. I have asserted, with proof, that Jews created communism (this is an indisputable fact, and I can provide more proof than YouTube videos), that they are behind usury (in particular, the American "Federal" Reserve and fractional-reserve banking), and have been expelled from every single nation they've ever been parasites in.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Carmant posted:

Do you really expect me to reply to your copy-paste response? You're an intellectually lazy person, and you've yet to refute a single thing I've written, in your own words. By the way, a conspiracy theorist is someone who makes extraordinary claims without proof - such as alien abduction, flat Earth, etc. - but I've done nothing of the sort. I have asserted, with proof, that Jews created communism (this is an indisputable fact, and I can provide more proof than YouTube videos), that they are behind usury (in particular, the American "Federal" Reserve and fractional-reserve banking), and have been expelled from every single nation they've ever been parasites in.

I know, right?! :haw:

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
I had a bunch of scary evangelical homeschool friends growing up who wore their hair in braids and modest denim maxi skirts. They emotionally manipulated me into giving my heart to Jesus and then told me that I surely I was saved now because after I did it, I got a sparkle in my eye that wasn't there before. Maybe that had to do with the fact that I was in the back of a fifteen passenger van that was driving through the night but had just stopped in well-lit area.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Huh. I thought their hairstyle throughout the 90s was universally long and flowy for girls and that spiky/frosty guy fieri thing for boys. Along with your usual polo shirts and long skirts.

That said, it was pretty amusing how so many of them got into hard drugs before me. I am apparently not a very good devil worshiper.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

phasmid posted:

Huh. I thought their hairstyle throughout the 90s was universally long and flowy for girls and that spiky/frosty guy fieri thing for boys. Along with your usual polo shirts and long skirts.

That said, it was pretty amusing how so many of them got into hard drugs before me. I am apparently not a very good devil worshiper.

The ones in my area had very long hair, but it was almost always braided. Maybe it was the double whammy of evangelical + homeschooled. I saw a few Guy Fieri flows on the guys, but what sticks out in my head more is the tucked in shirts.

I lost contact with all of them, but from Internet creepy I found only one of them looks like they've touched on the drugs. They've remained relatively wholesome, but one went through a Wiccan phase (he also claimed to be an indigo child) before reconversion.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

no Amy Grant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLEJ_WC2yQk

no Stryper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HVcAauQhgw

no Petra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuFvhjEO0Ao

no Steve Taylor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyawtDc2M4g

that list is poo poo

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Can someone explain AWANA to me?

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

yaal ever have to get on a coach to go see billy graham lol

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

stryper is actually unironically really good if you like 80s glam metal

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

AWarmBody posted:

The ones in my area had very long hair, but it was almost always braided. Maybe it was the double whammy of evangelical + homeschooled. I saw a few Guy Fieri flows on the guys, but what sticks out in my head more is the tucked in shirts.

I lost contact with all of them, but from Internet creepy I found only one of them looks like they've touched on the drugs. They've remained relatively wholesome, but one went through a Wiccan phase (he also claimed to be an indigo child) before reconversion.
Eh, Wiccans and "neo-Pagans" are just Christianity lite. I've talked to a lot of them and they believe the same general tenets that any Judeo-Christian culture holds sacred (just substituting things like "the universe" or "karma" for God). I forgot what indigo children are, but iirc its that thing where they claim to be some sort of wunderkind about all things. But Wicca - far as I can tell - is basically just an excuse to get fat and go to orgies. Oh, and to listen to some truly awful music.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTYr3JuueF4

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

a happy snowman posted:

that list is poo poo

no mortification

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhQZGJTgmq0

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue

Reminds me of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJAMu9cUtIc

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
You, you feel so alive, for the very first time. And you can't deny Him.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Has any denomination ever embraced sex? Or just not made kids feel shameful and secretive about their boners?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i want to ironically wear a 'you might be a redneck' shirt while ironically having a handlebar mustache while ironically wearing a BIG DOG shirt over the redneck shirt while genuinely and literally being a huge human being

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i was moderately involved in the local 'christian punk/metal' scene around 94-95

I will hold fast in my appreciation for Living Sacrifice. They were nice guys and I think they are pretty on point musically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwQZO9dEjfQ

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Jonny 290 posted:

i was moderately involved in the local 'christian punk/metal' scene around 94-95
No accounting for taste and I'm glad you had fun, but the dudes who pierced themselves with metal they found lying on the ground and stealing used needles from the pharmacy dumpster and setting things on fire tended to make Christian punks look like a bunch of pussies.

I have no idea where the punks went. A lot of 'em were kids of privilege, so they're probably in square jobs now -- as for the other guys, well, I remember a lot of them losing fingers, toes and limbs hopping trains so their life expectancy was probably lower. Even aside from the whole "hey let's shoot some h with a needle we got from a dumpster at walgreen's."

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Those guys you mentioned were huge "pussies" too, compared to our lord Jesus Christ and the trials he endured on that dark day so many years ago. It's all relative.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Fair enough, but I still don't buy that he moved that rock himself and insist it was grave robbers.

Principals Orifice
Aug 23, 2016

by Lowtax

Jonny 290 posted:

Those guys you mentioned were huge "pussies" too, compared to our lord Jesus Christ and the trials he endured on that dark day so many years ago. It's all relative.

yeah but the punks are real haha

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Hail satan lord of all the earth

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Nathilus posted:

Hail satan lord of all the earth

gently caress yeah

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
The best Christian rock is the first three albums by Trouble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EApXhO0Tx-8

Tell me I'm wrong. You can't because I'm right.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Hail Stan.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

this is a website for bad VHS content, but a great chunk of it is stupid evangelical christian poo poo

poo poo like this

Tofuslob
Jul 9, 2013

I got super into five iron frenzy. does that count?

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
The hardest χρ music to be found anywhere is Switchfoot

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Tofuslob posted:

I got super into five iron frenzy. does that count?

I don't know, but either way it's not something you admit.

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011

Toadvine posted:

Has any denomination ever embraced sex? Or just not made kids feel shameful and secretive about their boners?

The Episcopal church has become incredibly laid back in recent decades - they have a reputation for being sex positive and allied with the LGBT community among other things. They schismed with the more conservative factions of the Anglican church after they elected an openly gay bishop.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgsmOj8DdjM

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
you ran away from home and joined a cult in LA

typo >_>

a dog from hell fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 27, 2016

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Back then my fav christian music guy was Randy Stonehill. And this was his best song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWoeJhUpBWg

A sort of christian Weird Al, I guess?

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
I've always been impressed by evangelicals' talent for being so aggressively bland in their creative endeavors; I think it takes real talent to create such utterly boring music and art.

E: I do remember Kings X being pretty good, but I don't know if they'd be considered 'Christian Rock' or just musicians that happened to be Christians. For whatever it's worth, I ran into Doug Pinnick wandering around the crowd at the 25th anniversary Woodstock in 1994 and he was a nice and cool dude.

the future is WOW fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I remember Creed too, guys.

• Locked thread