Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

mm look at them dough gaps

anyone else doing sourdough bread??

i just mixed my dough together with a 10 day old starter, only 14 hours of rising left...

here is a very good easy no knead recipe http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018028-sourdough-no-knead-bread

will update with pics. stay tuned!!!

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
subscribed

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I have "no knead" for this thread

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

to make a starter you basically mix any ground grain 1:1 with water and let it sit in a room temp spot for 24 hours. wild yeasts will infect your mix and gently caress it uop!! in a good way

pour out half and repeat with 1:1 water/flour (a cup or a deciliter water/flour) the next day

repeat this process for 5-10 days until it's very light and bubbly

there wont be a proper sour smell unless you let it sit for longer than 24 hours so if you want that taste in your bread let it sit longer before using in a dough

edit: also you can test if your starter is ready by spooning out some into a cup of water, if the mix floats it's ready (it's all the CO2 trapped inside)

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
sourdough is quality. excellent thread.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
is the smell of warm bread worth buying a breadmaker for?

im not getting up at 4am or doing literally any preparation at all in order to make bread by hand, i aint got loving time for that poo poo

but for ages i've been thinking of buying a breadmaker go i can just toss some ingredients in there at 10pm in 30 seconds and at 6:30 when I get up the house will smell of amazing fresh bread

but it's a bit of a jump to spend £100 on a house smell

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

this is what my sourdough starter looked like 2 days ago. i overfed it and it rose out of the tiny jar (removing that mess from wood took a while) so i moved it to a bowl instead :)

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
is eating sour bread a thing people do?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

sourdough isnt actually sour, only bad sourdough is

the tiny bit of acidity in it makes your saliva flow when you chew it so you never feel like "man i need a drink to wash this down"

also sourdough is way easier to digest than regular bread, the long rising process lets the yeasts break down more of the stuff in flour.

i feel way way better after eating sourdough than regular bread, hell i avoid regular bread these days

also its fun!

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
sourdough is probably my favorite kind of bread

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Oberleutnant posted:

im not getting up at 4am or doing literally any preparation at all in order to make bread by hand, i aint got loving time for that poo poo

but for ages i've been thinking of buying a breadmaker go i can just toss some ingredients in there at 10pm in 30 seconds and at 6:30 when I get up the house will smell of amazing fresh bread

if you're fine with eating regular quick yeast bread then yeah i guess. why not try sourdough. you literally only need flour and water to make it

also time. a lot of time. so god drat much time

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I have "no knead" for this thread

very good sir

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 26, 2016

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Bread maker chat for a sec: They are usually prevalent at second hand stores. I use mine mainly as a pizza dough maker, pie crust maker and butter maker. That's my bread maker chat, sorry for distraction.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

King of Bees posted:

Bread maker chat for a sec: They are usually prevalent at second hand stores. I use mine mainly as a pizza dough maker, pie crust maker and butter maker. That's my bread maker chat, sorry for distraction.
what do you put in there to make butter??

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
there are people who bake their own bread, and there are people who use breadmakers

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Sourdough is delicious, I also used to love these things when I was a kid

generative grammer
Jul 28, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

finnish people eat nothing but sour rye bread

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Oberleutnant posted:

if you're lazy as poo poo and don't mind being somewhat limited in what bread you can make they're really good. you just absolutely have ot remember to put the bread on before you go to sleep or you're hosed. they have like a 12-13 down to 4 hour frame in which to make bread

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

generative grammer posted:

finnish people eat nothing but sour rye bread

everything i hear about finland, noted swamp country, just sounds worse and worse and worse

namaste

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

everything i hear about finland, noted swamp country, just sounds worse and worse and worse

namaste

its dark, full of strange looking people who spend all time getting drunk and loving. sounds good to me

generative grammer
Jul 28, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
my grandma's bread is extremely sour and extremely salted and i'm trying to achieve the same wth my own bread

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

generative grammer posted:

my grandma's bread is extremely sour and extremely salted and i'm trying to achieve the same wth my own bread

lots of salt fucks iwth the yeast i think so you might need more or something

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

the recipe in the op is super duper lazy. buy a cheap kitchen scale, maybe a rising basket, also helps to have a dutch oven or a big pot for baking. the actual work takes like 10-15 minutes, most of it is waiting on the yeast to do its thing

as for the starter just feed it before you go to work, or when you wake up. any time, all you have to do is keep feeding it every 24 hours. it's like a very non-demanding pet!!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

a hole-y ghost posted:

what do you put in there to make butter??

:dong:

heavy (whipping) cream. Mine has a butter making mode. Pour some cream in, hit the button and you have fresh butter in half an hour. I don't use it often because buying real butter is cheaper.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Good sourdough bread is amazing.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Reading Jack London stories makes me want to eat all the sourdough and bacon on the planet.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

King of Bees posted:

Reading Jack London stories makes me want to eat all the sourdough and bacon on the planet.

I don't remember any sourdough in People of The Abyss - his best work - so..... :colbert:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

AEMINAL posted:

to make a starter you basically mix any ground grain 1:1 with water and let it sit in a room temp spot for 24 hours. wild yeasts will infect your mix and gently caress it uop!! in a good way

pour out half and repeat with 1:1 water/flour (a cup or a deciliter water/flour) the next day

repeat this process for 5-10 days until it's very light and bubbly

there wont be a proper sour smell unless you let it sit for longer than 24 hours so if you want that taste in your bread let it sit longer before using in a dough

edit: also you can test if your starter is ready by spooning out some into a cup of water, if the mix floats it's ready (it's all the CO2 trapped inside)

Thank you! I've been wanting to do this since I saw Cooked on Netflix. I could never find anyone that said how to make your own starter.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AEMINAL posted:

this is what my sourdough starter looked like 2 days ago. i overfed it and it rose out of the tiny jar (removing that mess from wood took a while) so i moved it to a bowl instead :)

Ohhhhh yeah.. :jackbud:

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

lol during the second day of rising i swear it smelt a bit uh bleachy if you know what i mean

now it has a nice sweet floral smell with minimal acid undertones. ah yes

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Bonzo posted:

Thank you! I've been wanting to do this since I saw Cooked on Netflix. I could never find anyone that said how to make your own starter.

put a tea towel or a loose bit of plastic clingwrap over it.

No one knows why you must do this, we just do

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

AEMINAL posted:

put a tea towel or a loose bit of plastic clingwrap over it.

No one knows why you must do this, we just do

To keep bad things out.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

skander posted:

To keep bad things out.

yes

also once the sourdough begins to ferment, it will effectively render it sterile to other contaminants, nothing else will be able grow, no e-coli or HIV or ebola orwhatever, it's just safe

yea, this yeast will gently caress anything else up.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Oberleutnant posted:

Just get married. I'm pretty sure it's mandatory that every newly married couple receive a breadmaker as a wedding gift.

I don't know if this applies across the pond, though.

AEMINAL posted:

also time. a lot of time. so god drat much time

This is why I just use a breadmaker. I like sourdough, but I don't want to gently caress around with actually making it.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

BLARGHLE posted:

Just get married. I'm pretty sure it's mandatory that every newly married couple receive a breadmaker as a wedding gift.

I don't know if this applies across the pond, though.

This is why I just use a breadmaker. I like sourdough, but I don't want to gently caress around with actually making it.

dont you know how bad instant rise bread is for you though

compared to the noble ancient sour dough..

:(

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

AEMINAL posted:

yes

also once the sourdough begins to ferment, it will effectively render it sterile to other contaminants, nothing else will be able grow, no e-coli or HIV or ebola orwhatever, it's just safe

yea, this yeast will gently caress anything else up.

Tell that to my starter that fell victim to a bacterial infection three weeks ago.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

please rise & bake a sourdough into yr kitchen&hearts today

trillions of live yeasts exist all around you ready to adopt, today!!

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

skander posted:

Tell that to my starter that fell victim to a bacterial infection three weeks ago.

i bet it had too much water in it. also did you mix it thoroughly?? it should be in a thick thick batter consistency when mixed

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

AEMINAL posted:

i bet it had too much water in it. also did you mix it thoroughly?? it should be in a thick thick batter consistency when mixed

Daily feeding, always the same for almost a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Can we talk about other breads in this thread or do I need to make a new thread?

• Locked thread