Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

mm look at them dough gaps

anyone else doing sourdough bread??

i just mixed my dough together with a 10 day old starter, only 14 hours of rising left...

here is a very good easy no knead recipe http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018028-sourdough-no-knead-bread

will update with pics. stay tuned!!!

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

to make a starter you basically mix any ground grain 1:1 with water and let it sit in a room temp spot for 24 hours. wild yeasts will infect your mix and gently caress it uop!! in a good way

pour out half and repeat with 1:1 water/flour (a cup or a deciliter water/flour) the next day

repeat this process for 5-10 days until it's very light and bubbly

there wont be a proper sour smell unless you let it sit for longer than 24 hours so if you want that taste in your bread let it sit longer before using in a dough

edit: also you can test if your starter is ready by spooning out some into a cup of water, if the mix floats it's ready (it's all the CO2 trapped inside)

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

this is what my sourdough starter looked like 2 days ago. i overfed it and it rose out of the tiny jar (removing that mess from wood took a while) so i moved it to a bowl instead :)

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

is eating sour bread a thing people do?

sourdough isnt actually sour, only bad sourdough is

the tiny bit of acidity in it makes your saliva flow when you chew it so you never feel like "man i need a drink to wash this down"

also sourdough is way easier to digest than regular bread, the long rising process lets the yeasts break down more of the stuff in flour.

i feel way way better after eating sourdough than regular bread, hell i avoid regular bread these days

also its fun!

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Oberleutnant posted:

is the smell of warm bread worth buying a breadmaker for?

im not getting up at 4am or doing literally any preparation at all in order to make bread by hand, i aint got loving time for that poo poo

but for ages i've been thinking of buying a breadmaker go i can just toss some ingredients in there at 10pm in 30 seconds and at 6:30 when I get up the house will smell of amazing fresh bread

but it's a bit of a jump to spend £100 on a house smell

if you're fine with eating regular quick yeast bread then yeah i guess. why not try sourdough. you literally only need flour and water to make it

also time. a lot of time. so god drat much time

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I have "no knead" for this thread

very good sir

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 26, 2016

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

the recipe in the op is super duper lazy. buy a cheap kitchen scale, maybe a rising basket, also helps to have a dutch oven or a big pot for baking. the actual work takes like 10-15 minutes, most of it is waiting on the yeast to do its thing

as for the starter just feed it before you go to work, or when you wake up. any time, all you have to do is keep feeding it every 24 hours. it's like a very non-demanding pet!!

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

lol during the second day of rising i swear it smelt a bit uh bleachy if you know what i mean

now it has a nice sweet floral smell with minimal acid undertones. ah yes

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Bonzo posted:

Thank you! I've been wanting to do this since I saw Cooked on Netflix. I could never find anyone that said how to make your own starter.

put a tea towel or a loose bit of plastic clingwrap over it.

No one knows why you must do this, we just do

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

skander posted:

To keep bad things out.

yes

also once the sourdough begins to ferment, it will effectively render it sterile to other contaminants, nothing else will be able grow, no e-coli or HIV or ebola orwhatever, it's just safe

yea, this yeast will gently caress anything else up.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

BLARGHLE posted:

Just get married. I'm pretty sure it's mandatory that every newly married couple receive a breadmaker as a wedding gift.

I don't know if this applies across the pond, though.

This is why I just use a breadmaker. I like sourdough, but I don't want to gently caress around with actually making it.

dont you know how bad instant rise bread is for you though

compared to the noble ancient sour dough..

:(

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

please rise & bake a sourdough into yr kitchen&hearts today

trillions of live yeasts exist all around you ready to adopt, today!!

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

skander posted:

Tell that to my starter that fell victim to a bacterial infection three weeks ago.

i bet it had too much water in it. also did you mix it thoroughly?? it should be in a thick thick batter consistency when mixed

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

OctoberBlues posted:

Can we talk about other breads in this thread or do I need to make a new thread?

all breads are fine

"sourdough" is simply a way of cultivating wild yeast all around us for use in baking and rising of bread

you can make rye sourdough, corn sourdough, literally anything sourdough!!

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

OctoberBlues posted:

Have you guys had anadama bread? It's my favorite bread ever, although I haven't had any in a long time. I first had it at the City Tavern in Philadelphia and after that would make it from time to time, I really need to make some soon.

what the heck kinda bread is that???

tell us about it!!!

i wanan know what kinda awesome bread it is, man

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

dhamster posted:

Like, bread baked on a grill (it's good)

hell yeah man its som good bread i really like it

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

satanic splash-back posted:

grilled bread is definitely better than microwaved bread

loving execute anyone microwaving bread

unless its frozen buns for a hamburger, then its ok i guess...

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

:siren: my bread is done!! :siren:

came out pretty well, did forget to score it and the recipe i used had too little flour so my rising basket is all caked with dough now

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

skander posted:

How long did you wind up rising it?

a few hours in my basket, but i had to scrape it out because the dough was too wet. then i folded it and floured it a bunch and let it rise on my tabletop for 2 hours

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

skander posted:

That's why I haven't made no-knead in a while. I'm planning to get some rice flour work it into some towels, that's supposed to help a lot. (Or maybe just rise it on parchment.)

yeah next time ill rise on parchment, then fold and flour it plenty so it wont stick for a last rise in the basket

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

skander posted:

The cloth is supposed to be for lining the basket, but I haven't tried that yet, because I don't have the basket. I don't have a cloth made of linen, either, but I was going to try it with cotton dish towels.

interesting

do you just dust the gently caress out of the cloth with flour?? or do you rub it in

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

sourdough #2 is currently rising. made sure to flour the gently caress out of it while folding it so it doesnt stick like the last one

also not gonna forget to score it before going into the oven!!

this one is 50% whole grain wheat. will post sick bred pix whern its done!!!

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

kazr posted:

yo aeminal homie say the dough is all done being yeastified and doing its rising business how the gently caress do you cook that poo poo in an oven?

i use a cast iron dutch oven

pre-heat the dutch oven, plop bread in, spray some water into it, close, open lid, spray water into oven, take out

i use parchment paper in the dutch oven for non-stickage

it's all in this recipe: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018028-sourdough-no-knead-bread

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

kazr posted:

you have inspired me to make some bread thank you

MAKE IT SOURDOUGH

DONT SUPPORT BIG YEAST!!!

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

you can always bring sourdough starters back to life. give it heat & love and it will come back..

Here is my sourdough #2!!!

this time i went 50% whole wheat

also i think my dutch oven might be a bit too small for this loaf to fully expand, it got kinda smushed up :(

at least it didnt explode all over like my first loaf did. you live and you learn :q:

bake bread!!!

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

kazr posted:

how bigs your dutch oven and how much dough do you think can fit in that bad boy

no idea but it could probably contain like half the load im putting in it right now with comfort to expand, im straining the limits!!

i dont know if i get a huge dutch oven for a million dollars or just bake without one, would that even work? could i use a pizza stone?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

if your buying a dutch oven make sure its large enough fit whatever size loaf you are used to getting, the bread will expand out to the shape of the sides of it

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

man i am tripping balls right now and this bread is amazing

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

just had two thick slices of toasted sourdough with plenty of extra salted butter and port du salut cheese for breakfast

it's so loving good you guys gotta make this

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

The Goatfather posted:

50:50 white and whole wheat flour, 80% hydration, 15% jalapeños seeded and chopped (I like a mix of rings and maybe 1/3 finely chopped but not quite diced so you get good flavor throughout and good bites of jalapeño), 15% cubed sharp cheddar, 30% grated sharp cheddar, like 30% starter, and some salt. Autolyse for 1 hour, then add the grated cheese with the salt and starter. Add the cubed cheese and jalapeños when it's relaxed a bit after the second fold (just gently squeeze it into the dough w your hands until it's all mostly incorporated, you don't want to cut the dough at this point). Give it 4-5 folds overall, divide and shape when a bit more than doubled, proof overnight in the fridge. Sprinkle with grated cheese right before baking.

Holy poo poo :stonk:

Got any.. pix...

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

*cums*

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

baked two loaves today!! the second one came out really well, i think im getting the hang of this now

first one:

second one:

Please Bake Bread :)

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Grem posted:

That looks like a lot of work, gently caress that. Safeway has fresh French bread every day at 4pm.

maybe 20-30 minutes of actual work, the rest is just waiting. its so worth it man

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

bread #6, best one yet hands down

this time i didnt use any parchment paper in the dutch oven which gave it a really nice uniform shape, i also used the "towel flop" technique to toss it straight in. instead of a few cuts on the top i did one lengthwise

someone help me i can't stop baking!!!

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Bonzo posted:

what kind of dutch oven do you use? A pic or amazon link would be handy

just a simple cast iron one, got it from my mother who had no need for it anymore.

it bakes pretty perfect size loafs, i guess a larger one would be fun, maybe a large round one but eh they're wicked expensive new and this works

added a peach next to it for scale

some people use cheap paving stones from like home depot to bake on. if you do use one of those make sure to add a lot of moisture during baking, i like tossing in ice cubes after i open the lid on my dutchie

Rozzbot posted:

I decided to try making a starter over the weekend and it started bubbling a little over the last few days. Last night however it went fuckin crazy and erupted all over my bench.
Going to bake a loaf with it tomorrow :clint:

Hell yeah dog post some pics when you're done :q:

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 7, 2016

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Rozzbot posted:

My house smells delicious as all gently caress and now I want to buy a dutch oven.

freakin sick, good job

yeah def buy a dutchie, the crust they produce is insanely nice.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

i made more bread today

it was delicious

no pic because it looks identical to my last loaf. im close to perfecting it, all i need is a non stick baking surface so i can plop the dough in wetter

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

SpookyTurtle posted:

'Sup, dough thread.

Watched this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be57uXRf5xo

Made this:

'sgood.

beautiful, did you use corn starch on the outside?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Rozzbot posted:

A drat good video.

I'm running low on the dough so I pulled my starter out of the fridge, fed it and now it's going nuts again.

i've been feeding mine daily for weeks now. how long does it take to revive a fridged starter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

I keep my starter in a closet above my fridge, there's a bunch of extra spill heat from the compressor there so it super thrives.

Also a good place to put your dough for rising if you want a less sour bread, fast rise = less of the sour lactic bacteria stuff. Feeding/mixing your starter daily also helps with this because the bacteria doesn't like oxygen.

Made some dough before going to bed last night, it's so easy with a kitchen scale! Takes like 5 minutes. Going to bake it later today :)

• Locked thread