Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

Hogge Wild posted:

i wouldn't go as far as say that gin is better than vodka, but it's very good

not the hugest fan of gin but at least it has a flavor other than "alcohol"

DisgracelandUSA posted:

smdh if you drink vodka martinis, smdh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
sorry but i like my liquor without the scents of grandma's entryway table potpurri bowl so ill continue to drink a true man's spirit (vodka you dipshit)

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

Teikanmi posted:

true man's spirit (vodka you dipshit)

you misspelled "scotch"

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

olaf2022 posted:

you misspelled "scotch"

as if any sane man would ever have anything to do with the scottish

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Gin is win, and Bulbasaur is cool and good.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I got a bottle of this and heavily fennel seed flavoured gin is interesting

https://twitter.com/ElecSpiritCo/status/766604017736744961

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Gin is A+, cheap gin is still pretty good and good gin is still pretty cheap. Unfortunately it's now being invaded by the same overpriced handcrafted small batch nonsense as happened with bourbon. I really hope gin isn't going to be the next hipster drink, I've been dreading all the dumb ~mixology~ videos making good old gin into the next big thing. I liked gin being the thing that people only pretended to like. More for me.

Beefeater is a good gin for acquiring the taste, a little smoother on the juniper than some others. I really like Broker's, which is the one with the twee plastic hat stuck on the cap. Yes it looks stupid but it's good, though not as much of a bargain as it used to be.

Tanqueray sucks, don't buy it.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
The booze is making me look like a serial killer again so I'm back off it. I just don't know when to quit, I guess.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Gin is good. So is whisky. Rum has a place.

Vodka is for alcoholics and children.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

lol if you drink vodka and you're not a teen or a slav

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Jose posted:

christmas tree flavored

This, again. I bet you fuckers like the "pepper" and "vomit" flavored jelly beans, too.

The best martini is two jiggers of vodka, waved in the general direction of Italy.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 28, 2016

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

i unironically have no problem with paying 40 quid for a bottle of this

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

Geirskogul posted:

This, again. I bet you fuckers like the "pepper" and "vomit" flavored jelly beans, too.

The best martini is two jiggers of vodka, waved in the general direction of Italy.

that's not a martini

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Wall Balls posted:

that's not a martini

if that's not a good martini then you are a good poster

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

me being a terrible poster has nothing to do with that being a gulp of vodka and not a martini

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Klyith posted:

Gin is A+, cheap gin is still pretty good and good gin is still pretty cheap. Unfortunately it's now being invaded by the same overpriced handcrafted small batch nonsense as happened with bourbon. I really hope gin isn't going to be the next hipster drink, I've been dreading all the dumb ~mixology~ videos making good old gin into the next big thing. I liked gin being the thing that people only pretended to like. More for me.

Tanqueray sucks, don't buy it.

I hope the hipster mixologists double down and go solely for roaring 20s' bathtub gin and leave the real stuff out of their bullshit.

Also while Tanqueray does indeed suck, Tanqueray 10 is actually quite good if you're willing to pay the big premium.

As for cheap gin in g&ts, it works fine but if you go with something that has a lot of nice herbal infusions (like Bombay Sapphire) you can still taste them through the tonic, so basically all gin is good in g&ts unless it's a poo poo-tier gin to begin with. I've never found the price of artisanal tonic water to be worth it, however.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

gleebster posted:

Gin and tonic was invented as a way to prevent the lower middle class who were sent out to run banks and poo poo from making babies with the colonial natives, thus avoiding the irregularity of half-caste persons.

This realization is basically half of Orwell's Burmese Days, the other half being about how colonialism is dehumanizing for everyone involved.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

gleebster posted:

Gin and tonic was invented as a way to prevent the lower middle class who were sent out to run banks and poo poo from making babies with the colonial natives, thus avoiding the irregularity of half-caste persons.

p sure it was invented because the quinine in tonic boosts your resistance to malaria and they put the gin in it so people would drink it since quinine is bitter as gently caress

also if you like tonic i highly recommend soda and lots of lime. its a lot cleaner, more refreshing, and you taste the gin more obviously

Forward Toward
Aug 14, 2015

No Tank You. not today tanks. Tank you very much.

TANK TANK TANK

VRRRRRRRRRRRRR

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Good gin is so cheap compared to other spirits and lots of people hate it so more for me!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

gin is my favorite. try making a bloody mary with it

and put some cucumbers in the bottle to make cucumber gin, which is good in everything

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Am I the only one who likes Bombay's London Dry a lot better than their Sapphire?

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

Business Gorillas posted:

also if you like tonic i highly recommend soda and lots of lime. its a lot cleaner, more refreshing, and you taste the gin more obviously
Gin and soda with lime is literally more refreshing/better for you than water.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

same

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gin and Tonic is both absolutely refreshing as hell and helps prevent tropical diseases, making it superior to all other alcoholic beverages.

I mean you can enjoy other liquors, that's on you, but you'll never be refreshed without Gin.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

BgRdMchne posted:

Am I the only one who likes Bombay's London Dry a lot better than their Sapphire?

I think you just might be the only one, maybe botanicals just aren't for you but any gin drinker is all right in my book

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Poor little Champenema with a grin,
drank up all his mother's gin

True story.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sapphire has good aromatic botanicals, but not a lot of body if that makes any sense. It's great for a gimlet imo

If you like licorice this :canada: gin has a lot of it and is also p good:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

p sure it was invented because the quinine in tonic boosts your resistance to malaria and they put the gin in it so people would drink it since quinine is bitter as gently caress

going to give this a go thanks op. i like a lot of lime in my gin already

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

i'm the skeleton's dog

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i went to a gin festival at the weekend OP it was very good

rhubarb gin is nice

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

fennel in gin is an interesting addition but go mild on it its v overpowering i find

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
OP I like this gin but the LCBO (liquor store) near me doesn't carry it (those cunts!)

I like the ship on the front of the bottle makes me feel like I'm having an adventure!

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum
Yea or nay to St. George's Gin?

CalvinCoolidge
Dec 27, 2008

Gin and Ruby Red Squirt were my favorite combination, but I haven't found it for sale in years, so I'm stuck with some offbrand grapefruit zero calorie drink.

Garnishing with a frozen tube yogurt allows you to both incorporate the gin into the grapefruit drink, and after it melts you're left with a gin smoothie.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Hendricks is the best Gin. EVER.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Hendricks shaken with ice, and garnished with an olive brined in vermouth is the best martini.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
If you're just looking to get drunk then Tanqueray No 10 and Hendricks are good non-offensive modern gins that barely taste like anything.

Citadelle is a great spirit, but I feel like the classic juniper is lost in all the other spices.

Personally, I'm looking for something juniper-forward, but smoother and more refined than Beefeater so my go-to is:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Dammit I'm out of gin and the store closes at 9 (i.e in 1 minute)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

There are good and great gins,there are few to little bad gins. There are only bad vodkas.

• Locked thread