Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

bring back old gbs posted:

idgi how msg even works, it just makes food taste better? but thts bad for some reason?

I heard it bursts the cell walls so all the goo inside leaks out and I guess that's where the flavors are...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

It's sold in a shaker labeled accent meat tenderizer or flavor enhancer. You can get it in any grocery store or in large containers at sams club. I use it all the time to season meats or soups.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

idgi how msg even works, it just makes food taste better? but thts bad for some reason?
If you're a "video-gamer," this might help you understand: in the culinary world, good flavor is equivalent to a "head shot" and not using MSG is like "no-scoping."

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

It's not bad at all actually, that is fear mongering.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

PyPy posted:

Educate me, gbs.....What is MSG?

its salt made from acid or some sciencey poo poo like that and its the slight burning and blistering in your mouth that causes the savoury umami taste

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I put some msg on my bhole but I can't tell if it makes it taste any better. :smith:

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

MSG5 was good but I think the order goes:

MSG4>MSG5>MSG3>MSG2>MSG1

Although if you were ranking only gameplay then it would be:

MSG5>MSG3>MSG4>MSG2>MSG1

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

CANNIBAL GIRLS posted:

MSG5 was good but I think the order goes:

MSG4>MSG5>MSG3>MSG2>MSG1

Although if you were ranking only gameplay then it would be:

MSG5>MSG3>MSG4>MSG2>MSG1
I have only played MSG1 and I thought it was really good, does that mean things only get better?? :swoon:

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

a hole-y ghost posted:

I have only played MSG1 and I thought it was really good, does that mean things only get better?? :swoon:

if u like anime

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Hell Yeah posted:

also i like high fructose corn syrup. it's real sweet.

hell yeah, in fact

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

CANNIBAL GIRLS posted:

if u like anime
I get my opinions from GBS and the opinion on anime is it's bad though :(

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Pubic Lair posted:

It's sold in a shaker labeled accent meat tenderizer or flavor enhancer. You can get it in any grocery store or in large containers at sams club. I use it all the time to season meats or soups.

Yep, everyone who doesn't have one should go out and buy some. Looks like this:

Use it sparingly though, if you use the same amount of MSG as you would use salt, it will make your food taste hosed up and weird. I also made the mistake of putting it on popcorn once and it was loving terrible. Tasted kind of soapy. I don't know how that works, but it was disgusting.

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 27, 2016

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

CANNIBAL GIRLS posted:

if u like anime

Fact: anime and msg were invented in the same country, glorious nippon

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

sudonim posted:

Fact: anime and msg were invented in the same country, glorious nippon
also meth

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

ppl who get "msg headaches" need 2 eat more potassium.

trust me :sterv:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
Vegeta is a flavoring used in all slavic food. It's basically vegetable powder, salt, and MSG. I use it in place of chicken or beef stock and it's the best. Vegeta goes in everything. You can buy it in 2 kilo bags for just a few bucks.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Mnemosyne posted:

Use it sparingly though, if you use the same amount of MSG as you would use salt, it will make your food taste hosed up and weird.

When my grandfather started having high blood pressure problems, his doctor suggested using MSG instead of table salt because you can use like 20% as much and still have food taste good. MSG is good.

Also I once won a chili contest with chili made from textured vegetable protein, MSG, canned black beans, and Rotel because people aren't as good at tasting things as they think they are. Even the people "allergic to MSG" loved it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Also I once won a chili contest with chili made from textured vegetable protein, MSG, canned black beans, and Rotel

proof there is no god

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

mostlygray posted:

Vegeta is a flavoring used in all slavic food. It's basically vegetable powder, salt, and MSG. I use it in place of chicken or beef stock and it's the best. Vegeta goes in everything. You can buy it in 2 kilo bags for just a few bucks.

it doesn't have msg anymore or at least the poo poo my dad has all has 'NO GLUTAMINIAN MONOSODOWY' in big yellow letters. i got a big rear end sack of it with a crazy lookin polish guy on it that has msg in it tho. its latino but sazon goya also has MSG in it if you buy some that isn't in english and doesn't have NO MSG on it. i use it for beans n rice

MSG is the sodium salt of glutamic acid. being a salt it means when you dissolve it in water it turns into glutamic acid and sodium ions so basically what im saying is that the entire concept of msg allergy is bunk as theres no mechanism for people who eat it to get sick. unless they're sensitive to glutamic acid but i very much doubt that considering its a compound found in basically every single living thing. like wheat's protein load is like a third glutamic acid but you dont see people complaining about getting headaches from flour

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
snake? snake!? snaaaaaake!

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

gary oldmans diary posted:

snake? snake!? snaaaaaake!

saaake

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Iron Prince posted:

this is a good link sincerely thanks to the op of this thread

e: i mean its a little spergy in its presentation but w/e theres some OK usuable advice in there for those of us who arent used to spending $75 on a loaf of artisanal BLT bread

:catstare:

quote:

Here we go: A BLT is not a well-dressed bacon sandwich. A BLT is a tomato sandwich, seasoned with bacon. From this basic premise, all else follows. Indeed, a better name for the BLT might well be the Tomato Club, for it is the perfect tomato, not the bacon, that is the rarest, the most ephemeral, the most singularly delicious ingredient. A BLT is not a democracy. It is not a committee meeting. It is a dictatorship, and the tomato is King, Queen, and Supreme Leader. In the BLT universe, the Prime Directive is that all other ingredients shall be at Her Majesty's service, their only role to prop her up and enhance her best qualities.

Christ on a cracker

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

nigga crab pollock posted:

it doesn't have msg anymore or at least the poo poo my dad has all has 'NO GLUTAMINIAN MONOSODOWY' in big yellow letters. i got a big rear end sack of it with a crazy lookin polish guy on it that has msg in it tho. its latino but sazon goya also has MSG in it if you buy some that isn't in english and doesn't have NO MSG on it. i use it for beans n rice

MSG is the sodium salt of glutamic acid. being a salt it means when you dissolve it in water it turns into glutamic acid and sodium ions so basically what im saying is that the entire concept of msg allergy is bunk as theres no mechanism for people who eat it to get sick. unless they're sensitive to glutamic acid but i very much doubt that considering its a compound found in basically every single living thing. like wheat's protein load is like a third glutamic acid but you dont see people complaining about getting headaches from flour
I don't undestand this polack science but thanks for trying to explain.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
MSG is banned in my family for religious reasons but when I am feeling like a naughty boy I get chinese takeaway and im in MSG heaven.

It's like a cat on catnip making GBS threads itself.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
this stuff

is really good. its basically liquid msg, like lite soy sauce but more about the savory than the weird soy flavors

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mnemosyne posted:

Yep, everyone who doesn't have one should go out and buy some. Looks like this:

Use it sparingly though, if you use the same amount of MSG as you would use salt, it will make your food taste hosed up and weird. I also made the mistake of putting it on popcorn once and it was loving terrible. Tasted kind of soapy. I don't know how that works, but it was disgusting.

MSG on boxed macaroni and cheese is also disgusting.

I was just a college student trying to spice up my boring dinner :(

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

this poo poo is my god

it has 75% salt, MSG, chili powder, onion powder, paprika, black pepper, onion and some other spices

works with any food

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

in china it comes in a dish with a spoon on your table, so you can dump it on as you like

Cigstomper58
Aug 17, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

its literally just an aminoacid attached to an NA atom. It has no known health risks and makes food taste better similar to salt. But since Chinese people originally put it on super lovely ingredients and fry the gently caress out of it at the same time it gets an unhealthy rap. I blame the Chinese.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
It's also made from seaweed. Seaweed chips are hot poo poo these days but powdered seaweed brine? The devil.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Also I once won a chili contest with chili made from textured vegetable protein, MSG, canned black beans, and Rotel because people aren't as good at tasting things as they think they are. Even the people "allergic to MSG" loved it.

Well now I kind of want to try making this.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

nigga crab pollock posted:

The bag I have still lists MSG but farther down the list than it used to be back in the '80s. Just after Vegetable seasoning. It's Hrvatski so the Polska version may be different.

I still refill my old metal tin with the Geisha girl labeled "Product of Yugoslavia". It must be a good 30 years old. It's so beaten up that it's probably giving me cancer from heavy metal ingestion but I think it enhances the flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zidrooner
Jul 20, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you can't cook good tasting food, adding MSG will make any piece of poo poo you come up with taste good.

• Locked thread