Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Djoker lost in the 3rd round of Wimbledon to servebot Sam Querrey and in the 1st round of the Olympics to Juan Martin del Potro who doesn't have a left wrist so I guess he's washed up or something.

Serena finally got over the hump to tie Steffi Graf with 22 majors, but she looked like poo poo in the Olympics and has a shoulder injury.

Federer's been out since Wimbledon because he's olderer, and Sloane Stephens pulled out with a foot injury so I guess Chris Evert will be pushing Madison Keys, hard.

http://www.usopen.org/index.html

TV coverage is on ESPN/ESPN2/WatchESPN. The US Open also has complete radio coverage available on their website and app.

Draws

Top 8 Men's Betting Favorites
N Djokovic 5/4
A Murray 7/4
J M del Potro 14/1
M Raonic 16/1
R Nadal 20/1
S Wawrinka 25/1
M Cilic 25/1
K Nishikori 25/1

Top 8 Women's Betting Favorites
S Williams 5/4
S Halep 8/1
G Muguruza 8/1
A Kerber 9/1
M Keys 18/1
P Kvitova 20/1
Karolina Pliskova 33/1
A Radwanska 40/1
M Puig 40/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
That's a tough opening round for Serena.

Aga looked really good at New Haven the past week, I hope she didn't peak too early.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Eurosport's main coverage is trash. loving Sky giving up coverage when they pay out the arse for the Premier League.

Kvitova is currently losing. Wouldn't be surprised if she lost; Ostapenko can really belt the ball when she's on.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I bought a one-month subscription for Eurosport Player, that's much better than the main channels. You get court selection and no commentary.

Since Kvitova is winning again now I switched to Bencic v Crawford. I kind of completely forgot about Bencic, hope she can rediscover some form after sitting out most of the year. Dropped the first set, though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I was hoping for Pica Power :(

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So are these "personal problems" infidelity or doping controls

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's tennis, what do you think?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I don't know why I'm watching the opening ceremonies but I love all sports audiences' consistent conviction in booing every commissioner and politician that ever goes on a stage

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't know why I'm watching the opening ceremonies but I love all sports audiences' consistent conviction in booing every commissioner and politician that ever goes on a stage

The IOC President didn't get booed. Compared to Brazil's leadership though, he probably looks like an angel.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
It's really just a reflex at this point to finger tap the drum fill in this song.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Djokovic has to make excuses for all of his losses.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Really enjoying how fast the Sock-Fritz match is playing. Seems lightning fast compared to most matches.

Tennis is starting to suffer from baseball syndrome where the players take ages between points and it's ridiculous.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is Djokovic really hurting or is he mysteriously and conveniently going to bounce back in a few minutes

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

He's been loving someone else. Or maybe she did the loving. There were rumours he had some sort of bust up with his wife during Wimbledon.

And he's been quite angry on court since the start of the clay season.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 30, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sodium Chloride posted:

He's been loving someone else. Or maybe she did the loving. There were rumours he had some sort of bust up with his wife during Wimbledon.

And he's been quite angry on court since the start of the clay season.
Who are we talking about?

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Djokovic.

He blamed personal problems on that Querrey loss. He said the problem is over.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sodium Chloride posted:

Djokovic.

He blamed personal problems on that Querrey loss. He said the problem is over.
Why would he cheat on Jelena? She makes Tiger Woods' ex-wife look like trash.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The same reason Weiner would be married to Huma Abedin and yet still sext with randos.

Also I think I hate tennis now

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The same reason Weiner would be married to Huma Abedin and yet still sext with randos.

Also I think I hate tennis now
Huma Abedin is no Jelena Ristic.

And, I suppose, things are different after a baby.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's called ennui, dude. Like the feeling I have now watching this match

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's called ennui, dude. Like the feeling I have now watching this match
I've only been in 1 LTR so I can't entirely sympathize.

Entirely...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean, I'm criticizing the idea that how attractive your partner is would be the most important determinant of your happiness.

Also thank Christ, start the next match

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Man, Bouchard really fell off, didn't she. Post-concussion syndrome perhaps

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
She was never really particularly good, so it's not overly surprising. Her run in the 2014 grand slams was largely due to her draws always opening up and the biggest player of note that she actually beat in those "runs" was Kerber, who kind of sucked back then too.
Bouchard still lost 8 or 9 times in the first round of non majors in 2014 to players like Bettanie Mattek-Sands (twice), Shelby Rogers, Vania King, Sabine Lisicki ( :swoon: ) and Francesca Schiavone.

Edit: I forgot she beat Halep in the Wimbledon semi-finals that year, so good for her I guess....?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Bouchard lost a bunch of muscle mass immediately after the year she made the Wimbledon final, fired her coach who helped get her there, and lost in the first round of pretty much every tournament. She's awful and it's a real shame she fluked her way to a grand slam final before Raonic. It's not post-concussion anything because she was garbage for a full year before she got concussed.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 31, 2016

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Really uncomfortable watching Konta on her knees hyperventilating.

Bouchard is trying to recover getting trashed by Kvitova last week. Her main problem is a lack of confidence.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I always thought the most impressive thing about Bouchard was her on-court confidence, and that was already evident three years ago at the US Open, before she went on her 2014 run. The flipside of that was that she 100% bought into her own hype, and when the bubble burst at Wimbledon she crashed hard. From what I watched of her match the other day I actually thought she played pretty well. She seemed to have a bit more tactical nous about when to come forward, how to finish points, etc., than she did two years ago. I could've been imagining it, dunno. The results aren't there but it's not like she's a bad player, just an average one who's no longer riding high on confidence. She can certainly still make her way to the top 10-20... but so can many other players.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Raonic jawing with the chair umpire and also entering into a slow-motion physical meltdown

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

He has a problem with his left wrist and a thigh. Raonic is now a big server without a big serve. He's hosed.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bouchard is basically the Donald Trump of tennis.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Poor Raonic :smith:

He was having a bad day right from the beginning but it was pretty telling that he was off his game and Harrison was playing out of his mind and they were pretty much evenly matched. Then Raonic's body gave out and he fell apart. Very sad as I had high hopes for him this tournament. I guess next year will be the year he finally wins a slam instead.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Garbiñe está muriendo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Did they not bring in anyone to test the acoustics when designing the roof for Ashe

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Garbiñe está muriendo
Who's the last young female star who's career didn't falter big time after initial success?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Closing the roof is the highlight of the tournament

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm surprised none of the commentators have discussed Kvitova's fitness. Obviously different people have different body shapes, but Kvitova had a small muffin top in today's match and that's atypical for her.

But at least she and Svitolina are through to 3R. Vamos!

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

The roof is getting a nice work out.

It's disappointing Raonic's problem was cramp. Does cramp even last that long? He skipped the Olympics for a better shot at a slam and that did not work at all.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did they not bring in anyone to test the acoustics when designing the roof for Ashe

Judging by the terrible nose the rain is making on the roof I would say no they didn't.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That camera feed showing all the players hanging out in the players' lounge waiting out the rain was neat. I guess I never really thought about what they do when they're off the courts

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Aga fought through a pretty tough tiebreaker in the first set to clear the second round; that was a pretty good match with a lot of net play. I have been a fan ever since she decided to rep Cheesecake Factory as a sponsor.

Jay-Z and Beyonce trying to act like nondescript spectators in the background of interviews is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sodium Chloride posted:

The roof is getting a nice work out.

It's disappointing Raonic's problem was cramp. Does cramp even last that long? He skipped the Olympics for a better shot at a slam and that did not work at all.

The problem with cramp is that once you get it, it doesn't go away as long as you're still playing. The way you get rid of it is by finishing the match and resting. Because he was still playing, Raonic's cramp was getting worse not better, hence the dramatic deterioration in his play. He would probably be fine to play today or tomorrow, cramp isn't long-term by any means, but the way the tournament works means he doesn't get a chance to make up for a bad day.

• Locked thread