Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Aldis, the Kingdom of the Blue Rose, is a free and prosperous land, but still faces many dangers, both external and internal. Fortunately for the people of Aldis, there are the envoys of the Sovereign’s Finest, champions of the ideals of the kingdom and its chosen protectors. The envoys are selected for their dedication, drive, and ability to work together in small groups. They are not soldiers, but problem-solvers, dealing with everything from mediating local disputes to investigating potentially dangerous ancient artifacts, or from hunting shadowspawn in the wilderness to performing surveillance on threats looming outside of Aldis’ borders.

In short, envoys are adventurers, and a team of the Sovereign’s Finest makes a perfect group of characters for the focus of a Blue Rose series. They travel far and wide, carrying out their duties and safeguarding their people from harm, all in service to Queen and Country.

The above is a direct C/P from the new AGE editon of Blue Rose, I kind of want to run it as a PBP. It is not out yet but the backer PDF that has been released is good enough to get goin, and I have some notions.

So y’all will be a group of the Sovereign’s Finest, looking to keep the peace around Aldis. A mixed group with diverse talents would be best, so go nuts. Use option 1 or 2 for abilities.

Any questions, let me know, I will have some personal questions for the characters once they are up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Shevar, Rhy-Raccoon Adept 1

Shevar the Rhy-Raccoon is very firmly aware of what he is meant to do. When he awakened to intellect, the burning need to know, to learn and discover, was already there in his psyche. He was already an urban raccoon, growing up surrounded not by forest but by the buildings and roads of man, where he and his fellow raccoons stole garbage and made a nice living as wild creatures. However, he was different than the mundane raccoons around him. He explored endlessly, studying the two-legs and the world around him. Once he became an adult, the ways of the two-legs didn't stop being a fascinating mystery - but he found himself able to stretch his mind out to them, and that their strange ways were more than just fascinating. Sometimes, they had problems - losing things, things being stolen (and the idea of 'owning' was a bit of a shock at first), people hurting others. The Light spoke within him, telling him that he could help them and guide them away from Shadow. It was simple: he just had to help them solve their mysteries, because it was the keeping of secrets and the desire to conceal bad actions that most often led people into darkness.

It should not be surprising, then, that he became one of the Sovereign's Finest - not after he went out of his way to look into crimes and help solve them. If he was going to do that anyway, after all, he may as well do it with official sanction. Unlike most rhydan, Shevar has little interest in the natural world except as another fascinating puzzle to solve. Rather, it is discovering more about people and the secrets they keep - both in history and today - that drives him, and he is as much at home in a library as a forest. He is always eager to learn more and discover new things, but he can occasionally become obsessed with a puzzle, focusing on it even when there are more pressing matters.

Calling: Discovering and learning secrets.
Destiny: Curious
Fate: Obsessive
Goals: Solve a mystery, Find someone worthy of the rhy-bond
Bonds: ???, ???

Accuracy: 2
Communication: 2
Constitution: 0
Dexterity: 5
Fighting: -1
Intelligence: 2
Perception: 3 (Searching, Smelling)
Strength: -1
Willpower: 2

Speed: 10
Defense: 15
Health: 23

Attacks: Bite 1d6, Claw 1d3

Special Powers: Nightvision, Arcane Channeling

Talents: Psychic (Novice), Visionary (Novice), Shaping (Novice), Lore (Novice)
Weapons Groups: Brawling, Natural Weapons, Staves

Arcana: Psychic Shield, Second Sight, Psychic Contact, Mind Delving, Move Object, Visions, Object Reading

My ability rolls.
My benefits rolls.
My health roll.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
HI I AM IN LIKE FLYNN A GENDER DIVERSE MIND CONTROLLED BY THE MAGIC DEER NON-VIOLENT FLYNN

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
so very in

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

did someone say genderweird mind control deer. :allears:

i might try to app something if i get any room to breathe whatsoever :ohdear:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

will be apping for max genderweirndess

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

GlitchThief posted:

genderweirndess

I regret nothing

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

time to destroy the hobby of elfgaming with a...gay wizard! (dun dun duunnnnnnn)

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

into: Destroying Elfgaming (everything to do with it), telepathic deerfolk steppin' on me (everything to do with it)

by the way when do you need a sheet by :ohdear:

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
quick question: is a doctor (that is, someone using medicine instead of magic to heal) a viable character type in Aldis or is this like D&D where non-magical healing is nearly useless?

also, since we're not necessarily rolling abilities, do we still need to roll species benefits?

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 2, 2016

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

inklesspen posted:

quick question: is a doctor (that is, someone using medicine instead of magic to heal) a viable character type in Aldis or is this like D&D where non-magical healing is nearly useless?

also, since we're not necessarily rolling abilities, do we still need to roll species benefits?

You should totally roll racial benefits/ Medicine exists as a focus for int and a talent as well, certainly non-magical healing is a thing. It is even open to everyone, so a Warrior or Expert could take it.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

OK, there is now a DEADLINE. Sept 8th, the NFL season kicks off at 7:30 central time, at which point I will close this recruit. YOU HAVE UNTIL THEN.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Penrose Balthazar, Vata'sha Expert 1

Foundling, raised by a human merchant and her family. They didn't have much and he would normally have gone into the family business, but he came to the eye of a noble who sponsored him for the Royal College, while also grooming him as a spy. Then that noble was arrested for treason, which left him at loose ends. Cleared of any complicity, Balthazar was welcomed into the Sovereign's Finest. He's a skilled duelist, physician, natural historian, and intriguer. He's also laevvel, not that that's anyone's business but his own.

Appearance: Slight of build, but with the wiry muscles of a fencer. Commonly wears pince-nez.

Goals: Discover his birth parentage, Provide comfort for the family that raised him.
Calling: The Moon (Discovering and learning secrets)
Destiny: Page of Rods (Resolute)
Fate: Four of Swords (Agitated)

Accuracy: 2
Communication: 3 (Persuasion)
Constitution: 1 (+2 when recovering from loss of health)
Dexterity: 2
Fighting: 0
Intelligence: 3 (Historical Lore, Healing)
Perception: 2
Strength: 1
Willpower: 1

Health: 32
Defense: 12
Weapons Groups: Bows, Brawling, Light Blades, and Staves

Background: Aldin
Languages: Aldin, Old Vatazin

Talents: Meditative (Novice), Medicine (Novice)
Arcana: Body Control, Psychic Shield, Second Sight

Nightvision: You have Nightvision, which permits you to see up to 30 yards in darkness without a light source.
Light sensitivity: Bright light (equal to full daylight) blinds you for one round when you are first exposed to it.
Pinpoint Attack: Once per round, you can add 1d6 damage to a successful attack if your Dexterity is greater than that of the target of the attack.
Expert's Armor: You are at home in Light Armor and considered trained in its use without the need of the Armor Training talent.

Weapons: swordstick (usable as a light blade or a stave? staff? staev? w/e)
Armor: well-made leather traveling clothes (rating 3)

Rolls: http://orokos.com/roll/433078 http://orokos.com/roll/433081 http://orokos.com/roll/433083

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 4, 2016

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

A swordstick seems reasonable as a one handed staff or a light blade. They both use Acc and both do the same damage so most of the difference is going to be descriptive.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Nerana

A vata'an raised in Aldis, Nerana loves nature. She's an adept and talented in reshaping the earth and growing plants into lovely gardens and groves. She likes to create beauty in unexpected places, and strives to make the world a better place for all around. That's how she came to be one of the Finest, in fact. Instead of just wandering around inflicting gardens on unsuspecting people, Nerana chose to sign on to do something helpful and positive with her life, and her talents with magic made her an easy choice, as well as her desire to help people in need.

Goals:

Make someone smile today
Help people who can't help themselves
Create a place of lasting natural beauty

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 7, 2016

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

First two questions, I reckon.

Why join the Sovereign's Finest? It seems like a pretty hard job, most of you could be set up somewhere, y'all seem talented. So why the Finest?

...and

Why did they take you? What decided it? THere are a lot of people who want in, for their own various reasons. Why you?

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Remy

Remy was once a scourge on shipping in the southern archipelagos of Aldis. He speaks little of his childhood, but something drove him to lust for treasure and freedom beyond the sane thoughts of any man.

One day, he and his crew overtook the treasure ship Laughing Lady. Remy speaks little of what happened aboard, but something went horribly wrong- the ship sank with all of Remy's crew, and all of its crew, aboard, taking the treasures to the bottom along with Remy's entire life. Not even the other sea-folk aboard either vessel made it out alive. Left alone and adrift aboard his sloop, the Vengeance (no one said he was creative), Remy eventually drifted back toward shore and was rescued by a passing fishing vessel.

Upon reaching shore, Remy immediately set out for court, and waited, patiently, until he was granted audience. It is not known what was said, but when he exited Remy was a new man, an Envoy, and on a path to a new life. One without any more robbery or murder.

Appearance: Salt-weathered, middling years, roguish grin

Goals: Atone for the sinking of the Laughing Lady. find a new way to live
Calling: Judgement (Atonement)
Destiny: Eight of Chalices (Daring)
Fate: Five of Chalices (Remorseful)

Accuracy: 0
Communication: 2
Constitution: 1+1 (Swimming)
Dexterity: 2+1 (Acrobatics, Sailing)
Fighting: 3
Intelligence: 0
Perception: 1
Strength: 2

Health: 33
Defense: 10+3+2=15
Speed: 13-2
Weapons Groups: Axes, Brawling, Heavy Blades, and Bludgeons

Background: Mariner
Languages: Aldin, Faento

Talents: Weapon and Shield Style, Quick Reflexes, Armor Training

Nightvision: You have Nightvision, which permits you to see up to 20 yards in darkness without a light source.
You can swim at your Speed as a minor action (twice your Speed as a major action) without the need for an ability test, unless you are swimming in rough water, against a strong current, or in other difficult conditions.
You can hold your breath for 60 rounds, plus 6 rounds x your Constitution ability.

Weapons: Throwing Axe, Alora (1-h heavy blade), The Last Argument (Flail)
Armor: Piratical Leather Protection (rating 5), Blessing (medium shield)

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Winson_Paine posted:

First two questions, I reckon.

Why join the Sovereign's Finest? It seems like a pretty hard job, most of you could be set up somewhere, y'all seem talented. So why the Finest?

...and

Why did they take you? What decided it? THere are a lot of people who want in, for their own various reasons. Why you?

Penrose likely joined because it seemed like a good way to solidify his bona fides after his patron was deposed, as well as work towards accomplish his goals (stated in the sheet). Why they took him? Well, aside from him being obviously a protagonist, someone who's able to win a swordfight, patch up the loser, then persuade that person to help them solve the real problem is probably a good asset for the team.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

TICK TOCK, about eight hours left.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Winson_Paine posted:

TICK TOCK, about eight hours left.

You said the 8th it's the 7th :smith:

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Arivia posted:

You said the 8th it's the 7th :smith:

Oh poo poo you are right

To the unemployed days cease to have meaning!

36 HOURS REMAIN

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

GOOD NEWS, I am offering an EXTENSION as per the request of certain interested parties. You now have until the end of the Sunday Night Football game.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I decided not to do gender weirndess. Character art comes later, imgur hates me.

Armitage is a former slave of Kern, recently escaped and living as a refugee in Aldis. Year ago his husband had also escaped. However, the support network responsible is missing and Armitage has very few clues about the location of his husband. The only thing he has found thus far is an abandoned safehouse, its furniture destroyed and its food stores ransacked. All-in-all the building was barren save for one notable exception: a rose-shaped metal pin that Armitage had once gifted to his husband, years before his eventual escape. That pin is now affixed to Armitage's own cloak, a beautiful reminder of his sole mission in life.

Armitage
Human Warrior
Background: Kernish
Calling: The Tower (lower the lofty)
Destiny: Seven of Rods (Adventurous)
Fate: King of Rods (Self-righteous)
Goals: Find his husband who had escaped from Kern years ago; Return to Kern to free his friends

Accuracy: 0
Communication: 1
Constitution: 2 (Focus: Swimming; Focus: Stamina)
Dexterity: 1
Fighting: 2
Intelligence: 0
Perception: 2 (Focus: Searching)
Strength: 4

Health: 36
Defense: 13
Speed: 9

Human Benefits:
+1 Constitution
Focus: Perception (Searching)

Languages: Aldin, Faento

Talents
Weapon and Shield Style (Novice)
Carousing (Novice)
Armor Training (Novice)

Weapons
Big grimy sword (Standard Heavy Blade): 2d6 damage
Throwing Axe: 1d6+2 damage, Ranged (Short 4 yds, Long 8 yds)
Standard Lance: 2d6+1 damage, -2 penalty if used unmounted

Armor
Metal plates, strategically arranged and mixed with lighet materials (Medium Armor): 5 AR, -2 AP
Medium Shield: +2 Defense Bonus

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Aine the Guard

Aine was born in Aldis, has lived in Aldis her entire life, and is hopefully going to die in Aldis (or in the service thereof.) She believes in Aldis, and is a blue-blooded patriot; she grew up wearing out books about the history and past glories of the Aldin Guard and the Knights of the Blue Rose. As soon as she could, she joined the Aldin Guard herself, and has never looked back since.

Aine has thrown herself tirelessly into her duties for years, helping people escape along the border with Kern and working wherever she can. She aspires to greater duties, as she believes she has the talent and the skill to help out Aldis in every way she can. To Aine, being appointed to the Sovereign's Finest was an unbelievable honour, and she pushes herself to do right by her responsibilities every day. In retrospect, she was appointed for her long, tireless, selfless service for the country.

Concept: native guardswoman of the Kingdom of the Blue Rose
Calling: Justice (Justice)
Destiny: Courageous
Fate: Peevish
Goals: To become a captain of the Aldin Guard (short-term)
To join the Knights of the Blue Rose (long-term)

Aldin Human; dark wavy hair, gray eyes

Accuracy 3
Communication 2
Constitution 2
Dexterity 1
Fighting 1
Intelligence 1
Perception 2
Strength 1
Willpower 3

Speed 9 (-2 armour penalty)
Health 37
Defense 11

Ability Focus:
Communication (Persuasion)
Dexterity (Riding)

Languages:
Aldin, Faento ("Roamer")

Weapon Groups:
Bows, Brawling, Lances, Light Blades

Talents:
Armor Training (Novice)
Quick Reflexes (Novice)
Single Weapon Style (Novice)

Weapons:
Crossbow (+3, 2d6+2, short 30y/long 60y, reload major)
Standard Lance (+1, 2d6+2, -2 if used unmounted)
Rapier (+3, 1d6+2)

Armour:
Chain mail (medium, 5 armour, -2 penalty)

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
hey winson! i promise not to make a dumb guy who mind controls the first npc this time!

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

NFL Is over and I have lost in two of my fantasy leagues. It is with a heavy hand I close recruitment.

I just take all six of you, what a hoot.

SO, impressions and relationships. If you like the scene is you have been called before some minor noble and told you will be working as a group; this is the reception and afterparty.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Penrose Balthazar: I like him. He and I think similarly. Details, tricks, information. Intrigue fascinates me...but I prefer to shine the light of day on most secrets.
Nerana: She's more into nature than I am. Ironic, I guess. She's nice. Maybe a bit naive, but then, we need that, too.
Remy: I don't understand him at all. I don't understand what he did. I understand greed and rage as motives, but...but his went beyond the rational, even the passionate. I understand he is changed now. I...still don't understand him. It's a puzzle. I will solve it.
Armitage: Slavery is...it is a societal crime, born of arrogance and greed. He is strong, tough. He is a good man. But he is not a detective. He needs my help to solve his mystery. I will help him however I can.
Aine: I love my nation just as she does. We are kindred spirits there. I like her a lot. We have different talents, that's all.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Shevar: He's glancing at me beyond that fuzzy mask, like he's studying me. He makes me nervous, but he says he can help me find Alan.
Penrose Balthazar: I'm not sure how that wiry thing he calls a weapon could hurt anyone, but he seems nice enough.
Nerana: Does she care about anything other than "beauty" or "making people happy?" Her personality seems thin, but I guess that's okay.
Remy: Nice guy. Doesn't seem shady at all, which is good.
Aine: Just when I had given up, she brought me out of that hellhole and gave me the chance I need to reunite with Alan. I owe her my life.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Shevar Loves uncovering secrets the way his non-rhy brethren might uncover leftover food. I hope he doesn't forget the natural world he comes from!
Penrose Balthazar He has far more of a mind for the dance of courtly intrigue and secrets than I.
Remy He is, in his way, as wounded as Armitage, but his current path will bring him where he needs to go.
Armitage Armitage has suffered a great deal, and I will stand and help him any way I can.
Aine Honorable and courageous. She likes to help people and stands for what is good in the world.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Shevar A useful and capable comrade. Unknowable due to his animal nature, but still a good ally.
Penrose I don't trust him. He's been cleared of being a spy, but the best spies can hide from any inquiry.
Nerana Too flighty and delicate for real work. She's a good person, but I don't know if she's cut out to be one of the Finest.
Remy I'm keeping my eye on him. I've fought pirates before, and he looks just the common type.
Armitage A good man. I risked my life to save him once, and I'd do it again. Why I fight for what is good and just.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Shevar: I swore I was drunk when I saw that. Useful little bugger, though.
Penrose: Nosy as all get out, but a good conversation if you can avoid him nosing into your business.
Nerana: Coulda used her when we got moored in kelp that one time. I wonder, can you make a living ship?
Armitage: Not exactly sure what he's doing here, considering. I guess I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing here, either.
Aine: She doesn't like me. I don't blame her. I do, however, wonder if the stick up her rear end is removable.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

post relationships or i will set you all on fire

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

3 Bond - Myself - I'll Face Myself

Inside yourself is your greatest enemy. Only with time and strength can they be overcome.

Especially when said enemy is a terrifying remorseless pirate who keeps reminding you you could go back any time.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
2 point bond with my family - loving parents who raised me
1 point bond with Shevar, my cool friend from nature.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Shevar: He seeks secrets just to have them; worrying. I'd trust him more if he had an ulterior motive.
Nerana: She seems capable and her goals are noble. I am proud to know her.
Remy: It's not unheard of for a criminal to change paths so completely after a miracle, but what is changed once can be changed again. What has he done to atone?
Armitage: He has truly suffered and still struggles on to find his loved ones. I will help him if I can.
Aine: Love of country is certainly a noteworthy motivation, but it is not enough to make a well-rounded individual. Take up a hobby!

Relationships:
2 points: Gantos, my rival from the College, is convinced I'm an agent of Kern and will stop at, well, very little to "expose me"
1 point: my family, who are awesome and cool and surely without fault: (mother Orset, slightly older sis Arcy, little bro Baston)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Relationships:

Saint Tail (2): The phantom thief Saint Tail has beaten me before! Their pranks and tricks may not be really dangerous or even harmful, but I will find their true identity and prove myself against them if it's the last thing I do!
Aine (1): Aine is one of my oldest friends, ever since we worked together on a case while she was still in training.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Relationships:

Alan (2): He's the love of my life and the one I am bound to, in this life and whatever may lie beyond... but is he even still alive and if so... does he still feel the same?
Aine (1): Just when I had given up, she brought me out of that hellhole and gave me the chance I need to reunite with Alan. I owe her my life.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

OK I think we are near good to go, if anyone wants to fill in misc gear as they see fit, feel free. I will start working on the OP

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Thread is up http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790273

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Also since not everyone is doing so and it is a thing; unless otherwise specified by default the first die rolled in a 3d6 roll will be the Stunt Die, ferinstance:

[12:41] <&WinsonPaine> .roll 3d6+2
[12:41] <skybot> WinsonPaine: 15 (3d6+2=4, 5, 4)

Doubles! The stunt die is four here and can be used.

[12:41] <&WinsonPaine> .roll 3d6+2
[12:41] <skybot> WinsonPaine: 16 (3d6+2=5, 6, 3)

No doubles, the stunt die is the 5 and lies fallow.

[12:43] <&WinsonPaine> .roll 3d6+2
[12:43] <skybot> WinsonPaine: 18 (3d6+2=6, 5, 5)

A crushingly good roll, doubles means the Stunt die can be used, and it is 6 since that is the first.

I noticed inklesspen is doing a 2d6+1d6 thing, I assume the 1d6 is your stunt die, if you would rather do it like that it is fine too, I am just saying if it is not otherwise specified I will go with the above.

• Locked thread