Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I'm talking ten miles type walks. Stuff where you get a god chance to just think things through and work poo poo out.

Quiet time, away from the world.

Where you don't have to worry about turning your shoes into toilets, or people whom are huge pricks.

Just you and the country you choose to walk across.

It's very rewarding and I think you should all try it, at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

That's exactly what I did today. 13km along a ridgeline track, plus a walk back from town to my house, and then a wander up the hill to drink a beer and smoke a cig. It was nice. Now I'm tired.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

VendaGoat posted:

I'm talking ten miles type walks. Stuff where you get a god chance to just think things through and work poo poo out.

Quiet time, away from the world.

Where you don't have to worry about turning your shoes into toilets, or people whom are huge pricks.

Just you and the country you choose to walk across.

It's very rewarding and I think you should all try it, at least once.

Walks can be nice, yes.

gently caress 10 miles, though....that's bike distance, not walk distance.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Taking a walk is really cool, I used to put in 4 hours when I was a depressed preteen. Stimulates the imagination.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
my dogs like walks with me and they chase hares over the rolling hills here they are so fast they are at the horizon in half a minute and im like that fenton wanker

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

i had to buy a chicken my dog ate the other week

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I walk a few miles every 2-3 days; mostly for my dog's sake, they really look forward to walks. I also started to use a fitness app to document my activity (MyFitnessPal), and its helping me lose weight somehow; I've lost 10lbs this month alone. I ran a half-marathon in '09 but haven't really given a poo poo about fitness since the last decade; not sure if I"d ever do a ten mile walk.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Dogs are cool, Bunnies are cool.

They don't always mix, but when they do.

It's magical. :)

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Kuato posted:

I walk a few miles every 2-3 days; mostly for my dog's sake, they really look forward to walks. I also started to use a fitness app to document my activity (MyFitnessPal), and its helping me lose weight somehow; I've lost 10lbs this month alone. I ran a half-marathon in '09 but haven't really given a poo poo about fitness since the last decade; not sure if I"d ever do a ten mile walk.

you fat bastard

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

hey kuato maybe a walk is not the drastic intervention you need

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord

Nation posted:

you fat bastard

You are one rude dude.:smithcloud:

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Walking is good for the soul. A constitutional, I call it.

Cigstomper58
Aug 17, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
You've walked ten miles.....to get back to where you started. Adding wear tear on your shoes, body, and pain of passersby as they see some goon wandering around their neighborhood.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Kuato posted:

You are one rude dude.:smithcloud:

i remember your unfounded attack on me dont think i forgot!!

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Cigstomper58 posted:

pain of passersby as they see some goon wandering around their neighborhood.

I feel this pain every day...

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Stephen King taught me that long walks are deadly

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Al Cowens posted:

Stephen King taught me that long walks are deadly

This was Bachman. Probably the best book between the two authors.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord

Nation posted:

i remember your unfounded attack on me dont think i forgot!!

Whoa! You sent a PM that someone shared at one point. Don't shoot the messenger! :smith:

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
hey OP why dont you take a long walk off a short pier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Get a hammock and walk like, eh whatever you want to to into the woods, find two good trees then eat three or four acids and lay out.

You can just swing to the side and let your peepee go over the edge.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yeah i wish there were some more hiking trails around here that weren't just like 1-2 miles long

around here i mean not have to drive >45 mins to get to

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Kuato posted:

Whoa! You sent a PM that someone shared at one point. Don't shoot the messenger! :smith:

drat low blow that was in the past dude, cant you just let it go why does it always come back to this

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Moridin920 posted:

yeah i wish there were some more hiking trails around here that weren't just like 1-2 miles long

Sometimes you just have to make your own trails

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

You are in CA? I thought it was a 3 hour drive to the convenience store.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
depends where you are, CA is a big state

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord

Nation posted:

drat low blow that was in the past dude, cant you just let it go why does it always come back to this

Yeah I must've been thinking about someone else I guess. Yeah, thats whats going on. All the AV changes gets ol' Kuato confused.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

depends where you are, CA is a big state

If you are not in LA then I don't even know what to say to you.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Kuato posted:

Yeah I must've been thinking about someone else I guess. Yeah, thats whats going on. All the AV changes gets ol' Kuato confused.

We should evac anyway mordirin is here

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Cigstomper58 posted:

You've walked ten miles.....to get back to where you started. Adding wear tear on your shoes, body, and pain of passersby as they see some goon wandering around their neighborhood.

OH NOES! I'm just gonna walk away :grin: from this reply.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord

VendaGoat posted:

OH NOES! I'm just gonna walk away :grin: from this reply.

:captainpop:

Owned zone population: 1. Cigstomper58. Goons getting savage on Gibbis.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

The heat wave here just ended, so it's time for more daytime walks! Walking at night or early morning doesn't really compare to those nice afternoon walks to eat some lunch at the park.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I like a good long rear end walk no matter the surroundings, boring or exciting. It just feels like you're moving forward and keeps you in the moment at the same time. Plus once in a while you get some excitement like seeing a crime or almost getting hit by a car.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
I enjoy a good long rear end walk too. Earlier this year I was taking 8 mile walks a couple times a week. Too hot for that poo poo now. Now it's 4 mile walks.

Also, Burial and DJ Krush is good evening walking music.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
I am rating this thread "its my hot body I'll do what I want!"

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
From what I've gathered, if you plan your long walk correctly, you can collect lots of pokemons along the way, or something.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i can walk out my front door into parks within 1 minute and from there you can walk five ten twenty miles without going on a busy road and get some amazing underrated views

picture not mine and not the best but its grey out so im not going to go take a better one

plus you can smoke weed in the woods and no one can stop you

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
i like to go on long walks while listening to podcasts because i have add and nature gets super boring on its own after about ten minutes

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

They really are the best, especially if you're out in nature. Although walking aimlessly through a quiet suburb is also nice sometimes. Kind of like ghosting through all these people's lives and seeing how small you are, but in a good way. Once I went for a night suburb walk at around one in the morning and a speeding truck crashed into and mounted the curb right in front of me, leaving wreckage in the road before speeding off. It made enough noise that a bunch of people came out of their houses and asked me what had happened, before asking me what the gently caress I was doing going for a walk at one am. The answer was either 'couldnt sleep and wanted to clear my head' or 'i am loving weird', you decide.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

My workplace is about three and a half miles from my apartment, and a while ago I decided to take advantage of that and walk home every day. It takes an hour and change that I fill up with getting high and listening to podcasts or music or whatever, and it's been a wildly positive choice. I'm cutting weight, I'm getting a bunch of me time, I'm listening to stuff I wouldn't otherwise make time for, it's one of my favorite parts of my day. If you have public transportation and live within a small number of miles of work, try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
whew man i dunno 10 miles is a long way to go to the fridge to snag another beer

• Locked thread