Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Ghosts ate my carrots :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

WizardVan posted:

Well I sort of answered my own question and found the live stream option 30 min into the show. Didn't that black lady play the boring housewife that visits the murderhouse for a therapy session?

Yep. I think she was also the zombie mom in season 1 of Walking Dead.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
TORCHES AND PITCHFORKS

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

CannedMacabre posted:

Does she count for "Sassy black lady"?

She's defnitely a sassy black lady.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

This premise doesn't feel like it has legs for the typical 30,000 episodes they do per season. I'm leaning towards it being a series of shorter stories with a few episodes each? Possibly interconnected?

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Angela Basset is the oldest one in the cast and yet the only one who looks younger than the person she's meant to be playing the younger version of.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Someone broke in to the house and left one of Alex Kralie's tapes in their VCR

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

meanolmrcloud posted:

This premise doesn't feel like it has legs for the typical 30,000 episodes they do per season. I'm leaning towards it being a series of shorter stories with a few episodes each? Possibly interconnected?

Don't worry, they'll find a way to add 5 more plotlines by the 5th episode, and drop 3 of them by the 8th.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

Angela Basset is the oldest one in the cast and yet the only one who looks younger than the person she's meant to be playing the younger version of.

She fine af too.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

meanolmrcloud posted:

In a Vanity Fair interview they were talking about how the ratings fall off a cliff as the show gets closer to the holidays so this one's going to be over by Thanksgiving.

I think it's funny that they blame the holidays and not the fact that literally every season gets worse as it goes on

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Huh, Asylum meets Blair Witch.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Just in time for the Blair Witch remake :haw:

EDIT:

Kimmalah posted:

:argh:

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Oh jeez, this is actually kind of suspenseful. :ohdear:

I mean, it would be moreso if they weren't both telling the story themselves, but still.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Kimmalah posted:

At first I thought it was odd that the Blair Witch stick man was one of the things hanging about and then there was a commercial for the new Blair Witch movie and it all made sense.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Pigotaur! :mrapig:

DocBubonic posted:

At first I thought it was odd that the Blair Witch stick man was one of the things hanging about and then there was a commercial for the new Blair Witch movie and it all made sense.

I mean, "creepy straw doll" isn't exactly unique to Blair Witch, but that is probably what everyone will think of. I guess at least they aren't little Mercedes logos.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
We finally get more Lily Rabe and they just make her a talking head. :sigh:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Kathy Bates returns! :swoon:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Was that Russell Hodgkinson at the end there? DID SOMEONE SCALP DOC? :ohdear:

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
So far this is the is the tonal opposite of the last couple seasons. I'm really digging it so far.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Yeah, I'm into this. The breathing ground was creepy as hell.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
That was a surprisingly good season opener. We've all been burned by this show but I am cautiously excited about the documentary gimmick. It looks like a good way to force Ryan Murphy to stay on the rails.

At least until the reveal that the studio is actually in Hell and they all died or something

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Popular Human posted:

So far this is the is the tonal opposite of the last couple seasons. I'm really digging it so far.

Unfortunately looking at the credits it looks like they are bringing back that cardboard cutout who played the detective in Hotel.

But so far I really like the feel of it overall. It kind of reminds me of Murder House and that was one of my favorite seasons.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Kimmalah posted:

Pigotaur! :mrapig:

I mean, "creepy straw doll" isn't exactly unique to Blair Witch, but that is probably what everyone will think of. I guess at least they aren't little Mercedes logos.

I thought it was a coincidence until a commercial for the new Blair Witch movie showed up. Also kinda surprised no one was driving a Mercedes.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

DarklyDreaming posted:

That was a surprisingly good season opener. We've all been burned by this show but I am cautiously excited about the documentary gimmick. It looks like a good way to force Ryan Murphy to stay on the rails.

At least until the reveal that the studio is actually in Hell and they all died or something

I'm wondering when the real people will meet their reenactor counterparts.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
If I don't get at least one God damned wendigo this season I will lose my mind!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Parasol Prophet posted:

I'm wondering when the real people will meet their reenactor counterparts.

Then the show will eventually start following the documentary crew and they get sucked into whatever is happening around the property. Or aliens, just because.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Actually gonna disagree with the majority here and say that it was pretty dull and plodding.

In fairness, I appreciate the fact that it's actually a horror scenario and not just camp on top of camp, like we've gotten the past few seasons. But I really wanted them to get to the point already.

Honestly, if they hadn't hyped it up so much as a big mystery, only to give us a pretty cliche hillbilly scenario, I probably wouldn't feel this way so much. We don't even have a subtitle for this season.

Not that I'm giving up on it, because it's got to go somewhere, but the burn is a little too slow for me thus far.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Kimmalah posted:

Unfortunately looking at the credits it looks like they are bringing back that cardboard cutout who played the detective in Hotel.

He was one of the dudes holding a torch in the woods at the end of the episode.

I really liked this because it seemed like it was actually trying to be suspenseful instead of melodrama. I hope it they keep it up (he says for the 4th year in a row).

If I can go back a couple page I'd like to point out that the Candy Striper the freak show crew gets high on opium and rapes, is Grace Gummer, Meryl Streeps daughter. She's killing it on Mr. Robot this season.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

OmegaBR posted:

Honestly, if they hadn't hyped it up so much as a big mystery, only to give us a pretty cliche hillbilly scenario, I probably wouldn't feel this way so much. We don't even have a subtitle for this season.

Honestly this is what I expected because so many of the teasers were some variation of "weird thing in desolate rural setting." And I'm pretty sure "My Roanoke Nightmare" is supposed to be the subtitle.

TheBizzness posted:

He was one of the dudes holding a torch in the woods at the end of the episode.

I really liked this because it seemed like it was actually trying to be suspenseful instead of melodrama. I hope it they keep it up (he says for the 4th year in a row).this season.

I see, I just noticed his name in the credits.

And yeah, I really enjoy AHS when it's doing more weird suspenseful stuff instead of trying to do shock stuff like the drilldo demon thing.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

DarklyDreaming posted:

There's some found footage movie (that I'm unfortunately blanking on the name of) that does this as its big twist: it's got documentary-style interviews every now and then with all the main characters so you think the whole movie they lived, but they reveal at the end the footage was pre-recorded and they all died. I'm calling that to happen here, even though it would make no sense, because it's AHS.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I can't believe my dumb joke about one of the actors playing one of the other actors might actually be correct :staredog:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
lol, cuba gooding is one of the leads?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

lol, cuba gooding is one of the leads?

I hope he meets Terrence Howard as a younger, similarly disappointing version of himself.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
And wind chimes was the winner. Shucks!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I'm trapped at work and will watch a rerun/VOD the episode, was there a bingo or multiple?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

And wind chimes was the winner. Shucks!

As soon as I heard the stuff hitting the roof I knew it was going to be a teeth-storm.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This is kinda like Amityville house?

So cops take drugs and are assholes on the job? Someone tell dnd they were right.

drat they bought the darkest house possible. Where are the lights?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 15, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The documentary turns out to be a anti-climate control screed, casting climate change scientists as the crazy cult worshipping Al Gore's Manbearpig.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I know horror shows characters are usually dumb, but who the gently caress will go out in that hot tub in the middle of the night? Is there a location that screams 'get murdered here' any more? Also, those piggy screams are genuinely unsettling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Noirex posted:

I know horror shows characters are usually dumb, but who the gently caress will go out in that hot tub in the middle of the night? Is there a location that screams 'get murdered here' any more? Also, those piggy screams are genuinely unsettling.

I noticed too. Because I guess nothing says inviting like a single light that looks like it came straight off a dilapidated barn.

• Locked thread