Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

COOL CORN posted:

Calling it now, we're getting basically a televised version of House of Leaves

That would be great if done by people more capable than the AHS team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

10 Beers posted:

Also, "We found the most beautiful old farmhouses. It had three bedrooms..." Holy poo poo, that house is huge for only having 3 bedrooms. I've been in a fair few farmhouses like that, and none of them have ever had just 3 bedrooms.

That part is the reenactment so who knows what it "actually" looked like.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

That part is the reenactment so who knows what it "actually" looked like.

It'll be cool if they're shooting in the actual house and it eventually turns into a doc about how the crew experienced spooky stuff while shooting the reenactments too.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

ruddiger posted:

It'll be cool if they're shooting in the actual house ...

That is my assumption otherwise it doesn't really make sense.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

ruddiger posted:

It'll be cool if they're shooting in the actual house and it eventually turns into a doc about how the crew experienced spooky stuff while shooting the reenactments too.

There's no way the entire season will be just this mocumentary format. I'd predict that around episode 6 the crew and "real" people travel back to the house with a live-crew and "spooky things" happen.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
During the first episode I kind of hoped for some closure in the end and that the theme for this season would be an anthology within the anthology and cool original storytelling for each episode. The writers of this show have some neat ideas, but when they have to stretch them out for a full season they pile on too much garbage.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
Maybe after a certain point it'll switch from documentary format to showing the actual documentary production? The real life couple experienced some scary poo poo but nothing too over the top, the production crew is shooting at the actual house, no problems for the first few episodes but then something happens and things really go crazy. Maybe they convince the real couple to come back to the house to shoot some special poo poo, so we get to see the actual couple and sister as well as the actors portraying them in the reenactment interact with each other and all get terrorized together.

Does this make any sense?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I want things to go completely off the rails and have stuff like a character in the reenactment dying and the "real" people start to freak out.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I want everyone to die and everyone is stuck in a documentary forever

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is everything in the flashback clips reenactment? I've watched lots of lovely reenactments and none of them ever had the reenactors get naked and ride cowgirl style. Having 2 sets of actors playing the characters was confusing. The talking head segments seemed a bit more artificial than the flashback scenes.

For a few minutes I was wondering if A*S just has too many actors associated with it these days, so the only way to make a coherent story with a reasonable number of characters is to assign 2 actors per character. :newlol:

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

The talking head interviews seemed really wooden and without emotion. I know Lily Rabe is a good actress, but she didn't seem authentic to me.

Also the 'reenactment' used advanced camera techniques, sex scenes, etc. that you would never see in a real life show like this.

e^ like that guy says

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sierra Nevadan posted:

The talking head interviews seemed really wooden and without emotion. I know Lily Rabe is a good actress, but she didn't seem authentic to me.

Exactly. I wonder if it is bad acting or if they are setting it up for a shocking twist later where we find out the talking heads are the reinactors.

In which case the scenes in the world might not be reenactments being shown as part of the documentary, but instead flashbacks to what actually happened and not part of the documentary at all.

But bad acting and/or bad writing is still a possibility. Lily Rabe gets a lot of work, so it's possible her scenes are a little wooden because she shot the whole season in one 12 hour session in the recording studio or something.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Gaga spotted.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Looks a bit like Enchantress from the Suicide Squad movie. I dig it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I hope Kathy Bates just ends up reprising her character from the Waterboy.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

esperterra posted:

(rumour has it Gaga will be playing a monster, maybe she's the thing they sacrifice to idk)

She's probably the pig woman.

Where is Evan Peters? There's already less shows this season and he's missing from one of them. Now there's not enough Evan Peters to satisfy.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
Decided to give Hotel a shot after enjoying the season premiere, jfc this is awful. What an ugly mess. I honestly think this is worse than Coven and Freakshow. Aside from Peters doing H H Holmes and the ridiculous Devil's Night episode, it's just a boring ugly slog. It's so hard to find any of this interesting. I've got three episodes left and I really am struggling to decide whether or not to even finish the season. The subplot with the detective is the worst, but Gaga is like Ambien for the eyes too. I'm really shocked, because everyone kept raving about how beautiful and talented and brilliant etc she was in this season, I just don't get it. And how did this show manage to make Sarah Paulson and Kathy Bates boring? Angela Bassett was criminally underused too.

Roanoke Mystery seems like a total change from the awful direction that started with Coven and led to this terrible nonsense, I'm not getting my hopes up but I'd like to be pleasantly surprised.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Gatekeeper posted:

Decided to give Hotel a shot after enjoying the season premiere, jfc this is awful. What an ugly mess. I honestly think this is worse than Coven and Freakshow. Aside from Peters doing H H Holmes and the ridiculous Devil's Night episode, it's just a boring ugly slog. It's so hard to find any of this interesting. I've got three episodes left and I really am struggling to decide whether or not to even finish the season. The subplot with the detective is the worst, but Gaga is like Ambien for the eyes too. I'm really shocked, because everyone kept raving about how beautiful and talented and brilliant etc she was in this season, I just don't get it. And how did this show manage to make Sarah Paulson and Kathy Bates boring? Angela Bassett was criminally underused too.

Roanoke Mystery seems like a total change from the awful direction that started with Coven and led to this terrible nonsense, I'm not getting my hopes up but I'd like to be pleasantly surprised.

This person gets it. I dare you all to rewatch Hotel and pretend to enjoy yourself.

I'm more optimistic about the newest season though. Bring on the next ep!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I honestly think that the main reason Hotel was tolerable was because it was spread out and you couldn't just mainline it. I'm really not surprised that it's awful to marathon, especially because you can see all the potential evaporate in real-time like a drop of water on a stove.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gatekeeper posted:

Gaga was great, compared to the total trainwreck most people expected. Pop stars doing celebrity appearances on TV shows has a long and storied history of being completely awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHBF2i8zKCM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47puweMw9Wk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3qH1DsDu8

Compared to the mess it could have been, Gaga's performance was completely unremarkable. A perfectly adequate actor who didn't distort the show with her presence.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
got any man rear end? I never watched hotel.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tired Moritz posted:

Hell yeah there's man rear end.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Man rear end is like AHS's primary export.

Except maybe in Coven? I don't remember, but seems like there weren't as many mans available to provide the rear end.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gatekeeper posted:

Gaga is like Ambien for the eyes too. I'm really shocked, because everyone kept raving about how beautiful and talented and brilliant etc she was in this season, I just don't get it.

She's a gay icon equivalent to Cher and Madonna-- really good and even great in her wheelhouse but within the LGBT sphere is deified to the point of being treated like a demigod come to visit the mortal plane. "Not loving up" is the same as "talented and brilliant" when you're on that level.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Hell yeah there's man rear end.

As a straight dude all the man-rear end must be visual white noise to me because I don't remember any of it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Parasol Prophet posted:

Man rear end is like AHS's primary export.

Except maybe in Coven? I don't remember, but seems like there weren't as many mans available to provide the rear end.

Maybe the Minotaur ?

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

Yes of course, but the real highlight was Matt Bomer randomly dancing to Hotline Bling.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Maybe the Minotaur ?

Evan Peters railing Emma Roberts had some man rear end in Coven.

Think that was about it. Maybe Paulson's character's husband, too?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I only watched 2 episodes of Hotel but Gaga's entrance with the couple at the movie screening was so over the top that I thought it was fun.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Last Chance posted:

This person gets it. I dare you all to rewatch Hotel and pretend to enjoy yourself.

I'm more optimistic about the newest season though. Bring on the next ep!

Second last episode, Evan Peters in the cameo with the witch from Coven

"You may be a WITCH .... but I'm .... A GHOST!"

That line makes up for the whole season because Evan Peters is just loving loving that poo poo.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Mezzanon posted:

That line makes up for the whole season because Evan Peters is just loving loving that poo poo.

Yeah, moments like that when the actors are clearly enjoying themselves are what I love about AHS. It's full of so much ham might as well make a sandwich.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I keep liking Evan Peters in spite of myself.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

mind the walrus posted:

I keep liking Evan Peters in spite of myself.

Why would you not?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I really don't think it's a productive line of discussion because I recognize the issue is more with me than him if you really weigh it out.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mind the walrus posted:

As a straight dude all the man-rear end must be visual white noise to me because I don't remember any of it.

Hotel butts: :nws: http://www.out.com/television/2015/10/08/13-times-ahs-hotel-just-really-didnt-give-f-nsfw :nws:
General butts: :nws: http://www.mtv.com/news/2023608/american-horror-story-butts/ :nws:

Often the man butts are accompanied by lady butts, which probably distracted you.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Gatekeeper posted:

Decided to give Hotel a shot after enjoying the season premiere, jfc this is awful. What an ugly mess. I honestly think this is worse than Coven and Freakshow.
Liz Taylor and Mr March alone lift Hotel above Coven and Freakshow. There is literally no highlight in Coven. Freakshow at least has Dandy and Twisty, but neither one is as fun to watch as March or Taylor.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I'm still astounded whenever someone says Coven is their favorite season. I mean, I get different people have different tastes, and I do love witches like crazy, but... why?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Parasol Prophet posted:

I'm still astounded whenever someone says Coven is their favorite season. I mean, I get different people have different tastes, and I do love witches like crazy, but... why?

It's a kick rear end season, albeit it lacks a sensible plot.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

nutranurse posted:

It's a kick rear end season, albeit it lacks a sensible plot.

Though at this point anyone expecting a sensible plot is just fooling themselves.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Finally got around to watching the first episode of season 6 and I'm actually really liking it so far. It's probably the first episode of the show I've seen that's legitimately frightening. What the hell AHS!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Mezzanon posted:

yeah I'm glad I kept watching, it's been an awful ride but that line made... well, not the whole thing worth it, but it made me laugh pretty hard. He was so good, almost a shame everything else was so awful. He really made everyone else seem even worse in comparison, too.

And yeah I guess I understand what you guys mean about Gaga, it certainly could have been a lot worse. But it really is just a completely unremarkable performance. I know she's somehow managed to become a huge gay icon, but the show itself seems to be treating her with this weird reverence based on that alone, and it feels completely unearned and especially frustrating when other fantastic actors are being either wasted or practically ignored (March aside).

I thought binging it would be more tolerable than waiting week after week to be let down, like Coven and Freakshow. But yeah, I think seeing potential evaporate so quickly might have been even worse.

• Locked thread