Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

With a few exceptions, American Horror Story's biggest issue is its inability to slow down. The show always seems to resolve its central conflict in its first third before getting lost in its own morass. Freak Show would be a pretty acceptable miniseries if it ended after the first four episodes. Twisty dies, the Twins find a family, and the freaks achieve acceptance. Coven, similarly, is somewhat coherent up until the Halloween episode, where Zoey, LaLaurie, and Cordelia are forced to confront what awful people they are during a zombie apocalypse.

If American Horror Story could just slow down and focus on its central plot lines, it would be a much better show. Probably less insane and campy, but better quality.

I will be interested in seeing how this season turns out. While still bad, Hotel was a strong improvement from the last two seasons.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

OmegaBR posted:

There's got to be something up beyond the talking heads, no way they could stretch such a thing across 13 episodes, but this is AHS we're talking about. The raining teeth were probably just a creepy image and nothing more, for example.

The problem with a lot of those "A Haunting" shows, is that you could typically edit it down from an hour to five minutes and get all the interesting bits. That's how I felt about this episode. Again, appreciate the fact that it's back to more horror and less camp. However, it's almost the other side of the extreme where, instead of a bunch of glam vampires hanging out with ghosts and mattress monsters, we get a mysterious force trying to drown a lone woman and some creepy hicks using torches and dead pigs as scare tactics. It's gone from utterly ridiculous to disappointingly basic.

I don't mean to complain too much, it's just been one episode of course, but I'm still salty about all the ?6 hype. If there's one thing to hate about this show, it's lack of satisfying payoffs. All those teasers and possible ideas, and so far we end up with American Horror Story (Presents:) A Haunting Fit For Destination America.

I expect that the ghosts will start messing with the documentary format. I don't think Ryan Murphy would give up the chance to mix up the casts, wherein the "fake" actors find themselves inexplicably in their "real" counterpart's place. Or maybe the cast will push their way into another documentary. With how the show is currently being played, the show could probably play with identity and psychosis. The scene where Cuba Gooding Jr. watches the O.J. Simpson car chase was especially interesting. I don't know if that's just an easter egg or Murphy tipping his hand for what is to come.

As a whole, I enjoyed the episode. The slow build is nice after several seasons of loud and gaudy monsters. I just hope the show doesn't blow its load four episodes in.

It's dumb, but this episode reminded me a lot of the game Lakeview Cabin, which involves a bunch of hillbillies and a guy in a pig mask murdering some kids. I don't expect there's a connection, but it will be funny if the pig-man starts carrying around a chainsaw.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 15, 2016

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Doltos posted:

Those kids seemed completely unnecessary to the plot. They literally did nothing. Not even exposition. They existed purely to get impaled.

As has already been mentioned, the kids' narrative role was to force the police into action. Throughout the series they've been covering up the cannibal and ghost machinations at Roanoke. By posting a video, the kids make a cover-up impossible and move them towards the mansion.

It also serves two other roles. Pragmatically, the kids change up the action and allow the writers to draw out the events of the Blood Moon. There's only so many times that you can watch Sarah Paulson scream at ghosts before it gets old. People were already complaining about the kills getting same-y after the last episode.

Second, the kids let the writers reinforce the idea that "this is reality, not a movie!!!" Tassia and her friends all fulfill horror archetypes. In any other piece, Tassia would be the final girl whose curiosity and inventiveness lets her walk away mentally scarred but physically unharmed. Here, she is ceremonially impaled and set on fire. You keep expecting her to somehow get away and, instead, she gets brutally murdered.

On a separate note, did the rigged scares ever come into play? I kept expecting the cast to accidentally trigger the explosive sink or the shattering glass, but I don't think they ever came into play.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Spermanent Record posted:

Doesn't the death of an entire TV cast crew, who are filming and presumably sending the footage somewhere already achieve this?

Wes Bentley's appearance suggests that no one thought anything was amiss with the show.

There probably would have been questions eventually, but we really don't know how long it would have taken for someone to send a crew up there to look for survivors and get the film. In the meanwhile, the police would have been free to dispose of inconvenient evidence, as they apparently did with car crash lady.

The police are only forced to do their job when it becomes obvious that they aren't

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 14, 2016

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

The worst part about the finale is that they did not get Sarah Paulson to play Billie Dean Howard for the Ghost Chasers segment. If you are going to cast the same actress as multiple people, you need to go full throttle. No concessions.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

The Duke posted:

The finale was alright but I'm really more concerned with the universe these shows take place in. After they found Lee, did they go in the house and all the bodies were missing? The comment that British child said on YouTube stuck out to me, she asks if everyone is really dead. So after making Three Days in Hell all of these actors, producers, set dressers all went into hiding to perpetuate a hoax (excluding fake Shelby) but there didn't seem to be any questioning of that by Lana or any of the other fake shows covering the story.

I would've liked more of the immediate aftermath of Three Days in Hell but they skipped over that entirely. And where were all the other ghosts for everyone who died this season?

I am under the impression that AHS!America is in denial about a major television network airing a snuff film during primetime. The public accepts that people died during the production of Return to Roanoke but just can't believe that they watched it on television.

There's hints of that same credulity surrounding the original Roanoke series. People recognize that bad poo poo went down but think the network exaggerated things for ratings. People see Lee and not ghosts as the real monster.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 18, 2016

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

As far as quality is concerned, I would rank the series:
1.) Asylum
2.) Murder House
3.) Roanoke
4.) Hotel
5.) Freak Show
6.) Coven

There's a yawning gap in quality between the top half and the bottom of that list. I really would not bother watching Coven at all unless you are driven by some strange competionisf urges. Watch Feud instead.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

TheBizzness posted:

I agree with this except I think Freak Show after episode 4 or 5 is worse than the whole of Coven.

I give Freak Show points because it remains coherent for longer and because it contains fully realized arcs for almost all of the major characters if you stop watching after Edward Mordrake Part II. The Freaks gain "acceptance" in Jupiter. Elsa is forced to confront her own shallowness and seems to grow from the experience. Dandy fulfills his destiny by becoming a serial killer. Coven, by contrast, rapidly loses all form and direction as soon as Madison dies. Also, it has one of the nastiest casts in the show's history, with Queenie being the only person with any redeeming qualities, and isn't actually scary.

Freak Show is bad, but it never descends to the level of "Sarah Paulson is blinded and has her vision restored multiple times" or "Ghost gets stabbed to death by teenage girls" bad that defined Coven.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

looking forward to jessica lange as hillary clinton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

my prediction for next season is an election in a wicker man-style village that goes horribly wrong

• Locked thread