Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

American Horror Story is an anthology series created by Ryan Murphy. Each season is a self-contained storyline an entry in an increasingly scattershot and arbitrary canon , a pastiche of forms and genres found in western-style horror.

American Horror Story: Scary Place is set in an unknown place and era, since they're not going to tell us and instead released 5 zillion trailers which have nothing to do with each other or the show:

What's Cooking?
Sunset Stroll
Post Op
Milli Crossing
Lullaby
Descent
The Mist
Wind Chimes
The Shadow
Camp Sight
The Harvest
The Visitors
Anthology
Bite Sized
Self Preservation
Blink
The Lesson
Pitch a Fit
Bathing Beauty
Blind Date
Backtrack

Maybe one or more of them is relevant, who knows. If you feel you do, go here and try to win a car. If not, you can at least expect series standbys like weird sex, an unlikely redemption arc, and cool camerawork. There will be a child with something horribly wrong with it and it'll be really gross. Someone from another season will show up for no reason. The gay subtext will be frequent and hamhanded. 75% chance of stunt casting. Nevertheless the sets and outfits will be really nice and we'll all be in this thread asking what the gently caress is going on but still watching because we have been the real american horror story all along.

Cast*

Sarah Paulson                                Good Witch
Cheyenne Jackson                             Charles Manson
Evan Peters                                  Chief Scientist
Angela Bassett                               Azazel
Denis O'Hare                                 Leatherchapsface
Finn Wittrock                                Sergeant Zombie
Matt Bomer                                   Voice of Murdertron 3000
Wes Bentley                                  Ryan Murphy's Libido
Lady Gaga                                    Prostitute #2
Kathy Bates                                  Charles Manson's Clone
Leslie Jordan                                Evan Peters
Cuba Gooding Jr.                             Barack Obama

*Some roles speculative

American Horror TV Show Patrol Squad will premiere on September 14. The title of the show has been changed (to what, god only knows) so make sure to recreate your DVR season passes.

Previous on American Horror Story:

Season 5: Hotel

Season 4: Freak Show

Season 3: Coven

Season 2: Asylum

Season 1: Murderhouse

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Asiina posted:

Maybe...maybe this season will be good.

I gave up on Hotel pretty quickly. I may just binge through it at some point, but if it's worse that Freak Show or Coven, that's pretty impressive.

It's better than Freak Show and miles better than Coven.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35UigjjPEE4

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
AHS showed up in my TiVo guide. Show name "American Horror Story" (no "The Mist"), episode "Chapter 1", no log line :iiam:

Reminder to make a new season pass if you haven't already.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF30QvhonSA

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:getin:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I can't believe my dumb joke about one of the actors playing one of the other actors might actually be correct :staredog:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's a really clever gimmick because any cheesy effects, bad dialog, plot holes, etc are now failures of the shoddy basic cable paranormal show producing the re-enactments.

Another thing I didn't pay attention to at first but will from now on is how real-Matt and real-Shelby are telling slightly different stories and what they share with each other or tell us in the present (or even what the re-enactments show) isn't necessarily the whole truth.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

10 Beers posted:

Also, "We found the most beautiful old farmhouses. It had three bedrooms..." Holy poo poo, that house is huge for only having 3 bedrooms. I've been in a fair few farmhouses like that, and none of them have ever had just 3 bedrooms.

I was thinking the same thing, how does that huge hallway they keep showing fit inside the exterior?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Looks like it's officially AHS: Roanoke. All the online branding has been changed to this title.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We all had so much fun when we didn't know what the season's theme would be, imagine how much fun it'll be when we don't know there's a season at all. Are you ready for American Horror Story: Lemonade?

I do think the show is doing a better job of not indulging its worst instincts this year. The ensemble is smaller (even with the doubling up of actors per character), there aren't a million subplots constantly being spun off, and it's making an effort to have actual aggressors and victims instead of just assholes being terrible to each other.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BJPaskoff posted:

Is there a TV-IV-ier complaint about a television show than complaining about how many bedrooms a fake house has?

The layout of horror movie buildings is serious loving business.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't think anyone official has said that, it's a popular community guess.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Syfy is doing a show that's literally filmed adaptations of creepypasta so that may happen at some point.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I kinda want to leave it as a monument to the bullshit they put us through. But Murde House is almost too good.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:mrapig:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BJPaskoff posted:

The times we've seen Gaga and Bates are reenactment actors, right? If they ever get past the talking heads phase, I wonder if they'll have different actors playing the "real" versions of those characters.

Everything that isn't a talking head is a re-enactment, including the flashbacks to other eras which are double re-enactments- portrayals based on a story told in the past, staged by the reality show producers based on how the listener later relayed the story to them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Between the grungy makeup and the behaving like a total maniac it took me a long time to realize that was Conroy.

Who played Mott's boytoy?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Can of Cloud posted:

What creator tells fans that there's going to be a huge twist coming in a specific episode - i.e. next wednesday's - before the end of the very first episode this season? I'll tell you who ... someone who wants to amass huge ratings and get the networks to renew it for a 7th season. Bingo.

While you're not wrong, it's already been renewed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Well, that was certainly something.

I love the idea of the twist, but watching the show is going to be hard for me from now on- I tend to react very badly to hand-carried shakeycam (to the point that I had to leave the theater in the middle of Blair Witch Project and Cloverfield) and this episode gave me a headache. Hope they use the fixed environment cams as much as possible.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Facebook Aunt posted:

Anybody got the exact quote for that "everybody dies but one" thing? Is it the cast, or the whole production team that's supposed to die?

quote:

OVER THE NEXT THREE DAYS DURING THE BLOOD MOON, EVERY PARTICIPANT IN THIS SERIES DIED UNDER MYSTERIOUS CIRCUMSTANCES.

EXCEPT FOR ONE.

THE SHOW PLANNED BY PRODUCERS NEVER AIRED.
THIS IS THE ASSEMBLED FOUND FOOTAGE.

I think it's a bit unclear from that but it sounds like the production staff aren't actually at the house, moving the trailer a few miles down the road may have saved a bunch of lives.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's several years later, he's moved past Uber and found success as a top-shelf rentboy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Saw it coming but that ending :stare:

Was Finn Wittrock in this episode? Saw the credit card, was he the Mott ghost we saw from afar in the cellar?

That's my guess. Either that or one of the real Butcher's goon squad.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I was expecting/hoping someone would go into the confessional booth and just get shanked out of nowhere. Seemed like an obvious setup, but no.

There is no way this fails to happen before the end of the show.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm hoping they killed off loads of characters in one episode so the remaining survivors can have a tense survival situation. They are down to 5? survivors, which is a more normal number for a horror movie.

Though the crew was much larger when they were setting up the house. There could be another dozen guys staying in town at a hotel. Someone should be coming by morning really, because the producer and his pet camera man can't be expected to work 24 hours a day for 3 days.

There are only 3 episodes left, so they can off one or two characters each time and still have the mystery of who the "one" will be last until the end.

I'm also not sure where the rest of the crew is, but it hangs together. They spent a lot of time in episode 6 showing how automated and centralized production is- the fixed cameras are always recording, the practical effects in the house are radio-controlled, etc. Plus the entire arc is going to happen in only three days, which is a plausibly short amount of time that no one will go check on them unprompted.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Yeah my guess is what we're seeing is still not "real," but some kind of ratings-grab prank in universe.

The big thing keeping suspicion up is the fixed camera in the grow op, that had no reason to be there and those people don't seem the sort to cooperate with a TV show.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

wormil posted:

obviously knows the difference when she meets the "real" butcher

I don't think she believed all the paranormal stuff was real until confronted by it (since nothing had happened during the filming of the first season and then she lost her grip on reality). Seeing an actual ghost preparing to kill her was enough to wake her up for one last moment.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The preview showed a brief shot of Lee with two legs but one of them pretty messed up looking.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We also saw the pigman in the car, and it also looked grayer and more messed up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Martian Manfucker posted:

is season 2 of this show better than season 1? I'm on episode 9 of season 1 and I'm ready to give up on it. aside from Jessica Lange there's nothing at all interesting or compelling about it and I wonder if it's just I don't like the setting or characters or what

Season 2 is the only season (almost) everyone agrees is better than season 1. It's a totally different style of story too, without the family drama.

Medullah posted:

I agree, I think it's hilariously over the top, and I would not be surprised one bit if it turns out to be a fake accent. Bonus points if in a panicked moment she drops it and her "true" accent is revealed, and ends up being something like a South London accent.

That would be funny as hell but I can't imagine a circumstance that would upset her more than anything that's already happened.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

chitoryu12 posted:

Didn't they shoot at the ghost?

They shot at it, it fell down, then it got back up and started coming towards them and they all ran screaming back into the house.

While I wouldn't be all that surprised if there's rigged fakery happening, they'd need to have a drat good explanation for why the ghosts are only harassing the stars and not the hidden crew.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Scheduling update: American Horror Story is now airing on MSNBC, CNN, and Fox News. Please adjust your DVRs accordingly.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

King Vidiot posted:

Lee didn't have to hoist the body up, all she had to do was kill Mason and let the colonists put him up to burn his body. They're happy for the spilled blood, Lee's happy because her crime is covered up.

I don't think they'd find corpse desecration as appealing as going through their whole ritual on a living trespasser. Although I agree it was the ghosts that were responsible for the condition he was found in, maybe Lee had a hand in making that happen.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also remember that we're still watching an edited, curated show- the raw footage is being intercut and reordered by whoever discovered it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

HungryMedusa posted:

The woman with the English/Irish/hillbilly/Jamaican accent was supposed to be from London, yeah.

And there is no way the second season "aired". LOL

FX would be happy to air it :v:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Shouldn't have fully pulled back the veil at the end, story should have been entirely secondhand. Last segment felt like it belonged in a different season.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

OmegaBR posted:

Speaking of, how DID they blow up the house at the end?

One of the SWAT guys mentioned he smelled a gas leak just before the house exploded.

quote:

Why is it that the ghosts get to extend beyond the house and through the land when other seasons had them confined to their structure? Why AREN'T people more concerned about all this footage of actual supernatural phenomenon?

The American Horror Story Expanded Universe was a dumb idea.

quote:

There are certain choices they make that cause our perception of the show to be lesser than it could be. My Roanoke Nightmare becoming a sleeper hit and having a rabid fanbase? Sure. Telling us it got higher ratings than The Walking Dead and the freaking NFL? Come on. Then you tell us they aired Back to Roanoke despite the fact that it's basically a bunch of legitimate murders caught on tape, as well as the Spirit Chasers that is essentially the same thing. I guess the idea is that the audience isn't supposed to know what's real, since Sidney was fabricating things (even though they all got MURDERED and everyone made it clear that it was real in the footage.) It ranks up there with witches coming out on CNN. It just comes off as goofy and illogical and poorly thought out.

I dunno, that didn't feel too detached from reality. TV is getting more uninhibited by the day, videos of people getting killed by cops show up on the news, true-crime shows are huge, and the internet is full of real death videos (industrial accidents, car crashes, ISIS poo poo, and the like) on sites like Liveleak. It's not farfetched that those could start to overlap, certainly not as the premise of a fictional horror show.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 17, 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

esperterra posted:

Yeah, it's kind of his thing. I never followed Nip/Tuck so I don't know how far it stretches back, but every summer between seasons of Glee was somewhat affectionately known as 'Ryan Murphy's Summer of Lies'. The man has a habit of telling the press and fans what seems to be every single idea he has for a show, or actors he wants in a show, then maybe one or two of those actually make it in.

This seems to be exactly what happened to the Coven connection- he said in an interview somewhere that Scathach is the first Supreme who started the whole system, and then this was never written into the show so now it's just a bit of weird trivia instead of a pillar of the canon.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only thing I know about Nip/Tuck is that in the first episode someone gets eaten by an alligator, and I feel that's enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the only major inconsistency in the re-enactments seemed to be that the real ghosts were way uglier.

• Locked thread