Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Picard for god-king 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Jadzia Dax literally takes time off from work to go join a Klingon revenge quest, one that ends with her straight up murdering multiple people in cold blood and flagrantly breaking tons of Federation laws. She is warned against this by her commanding officer and everyone around her and upon her return she literally faces absolutely no disciplinary action whatsoever.

see above

Oh ya, I think I remember that. I'm slowly watching DS9 over the past 4 years or so, up to season 5 now. Definitely beats the old TNG reruns I caught on late night tv in early 00s.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Rutibex posted:

that sounds like it might have made a good plot for a two partner of TNG. problem is DS9 stretched it out over an entire series

More like half the series but yeah, it is a slow burn.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
In July 2012, Lien was arrested for an alleged domestic assault. In April 2015, Lien was arrested and charged with evading arrest, resisting arrest, reckless endangerment and aggravated assault in relation to a speeding offense. In September 2015, Lien was arrested for two counts of misdemeanor exposure in relation to an argument with a neighbor. In February 2016, Lien paid restitution for a police cruiser damaged in the April 2015 incident, and the state agreed to a six-month deferral of the 2015 charges so she can continue to receive mental health treatment. In March 2016, Lien was charged with DUI.

kes what the hell happened :gerty:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Zorodius posted:

The dark tone and unusual setting made DS9 good, but the individual episodes weren't very sharp.

One episode was about Dukat messaging Kira to tell her about how he hosed her mom. It was loving great.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gul dukat was right

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Infidel Castro posted:

One episode was about Dukat messaging Kira to tell her about how he hosed her mom. It was loving great.

Dukat had to be hella fun to play. He's affably evil. Dude pets a dog at every opportunity despite being Literally Worse Than Hitler.

My favorite episode of ds9 has to be garak's withdrawal from the literal worst drug imaginable (pure pleasure) though. It was classy as gently caress and added to his mystique how they showed his charming, caring gentleman side wasn't purely an act but also wasn't entirely sincere.

Just really classily treated character overall. It's easy to assume the worst about him but in the end that turns out to be 80% wrong. He ends up cleaner than most of the federation crew.

Also he's bashir's husbando~

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nathilus posted:

being Literally Worse Than Hitler.

was he really though

I mean the Bajorans nearly came to civil war and military coup over who got to use the industrial replicators first

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

as much as i love star trek they gotta just put a bullet in it already jebus come up with something new

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Moridin920 posted:

was he really though

I mean the Bajorans nearly came to civil war and military coup over who got to use the industrial replicators first

Just by gross scale yah. The bajorans are utter poo poo, period, case closed. But yeah he was kinda in charge of the enslavement and genocide of a whole planet of them. No amount of bad self-governance justifies that kind of progrom. Though dukat himself is slick as poo poo and is easily capable of making it seem so.

Remember that other episode in which a cardassian filing clerk pretended he was one of the higher-ups that ran a bunch of The Showers? His demeanor is what one would expect for someone who saw the kinda poo poo that went down from ground level, and actually has a soul. Dude was utterly broken by what he saw. Gul Dukat was in charge of all that poo poo.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's great how DS9 had two whole different species that were metaphorical jews.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I heard that if there's ever not a star trek thread on the front page of GBS, the forums will crash. It's like SPEED but slower and way fuckin nerdier.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Entropic posted:

It's great how DS9 had two whole different species that were metaphorical jews.

:agreed:

Different kinds of space jews though. There's israel and the money-grubbing, well-poisoning kind. :haw:

The latter are cooler people btw.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
bloodwine libel

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i hope the android in this one is a bad boy space motorcycle riding misunderstood greaser type

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Nathilus posted:

Secondly, the war isn't the civil war you idiot. It's clearly ww2 and bajorans are the jews. The entire point of a civil war is that it is between two sides of the same nation. Cardassians aren't federation. It doesn't completely fit as ww2 either because the cardasssians aren't the nazis, the changelings are. It's still all about political hegemony and racism tho.

Some of the races depicted in ST are clearly based on Earth ethnicities.

The Cardassians always reminded me of the Nazis, while the Bajorans were a lot like the French during and immediately after their wartime occupation.

The Founders might be a reflection of the way the Nazis saw themselves.

Certain traits of the Romulans put me in mind of the Soviets; again, as they saw themselves.

The Ferengi are obviously modeled on the Jews.

The United Federation of Planets is clearly an amped-up, utopian version of the UN.

Infidel Castro posted:

I liked the episode when Dukat went crazy, and imagined Kira taunting him.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Spoonheads work as nazis in that they holocausted the bajorans, but not in the overall narrative of ds9 since they end up getting conquered by an even bigger, eviler power.

Bajorans don't work at all as france unfortunately. They were supposed to be an ancient, spiritualist culture. I can't see them as anything other than space jews 2: Israeler. It's just a more nuanced take than ferengi, which are literally stereotypes personified.

Your other comparisons are spot on tho imo.

naem
May 29, 2011

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Is there even any good sci fi being written by anyone these days?

We're still all really wowed by big budget cgi and HD so every movie is just a bland flashy action reboot

Nobody is writing anything just copy pasting from 20+ years ago

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Is there even any good sci fi being written by anyone these days?

naem posted:

We're still all really wowed by big budget cgi and HD so every movie is just a bland flashy action reboot

Nobody is writing anything just copy pasting from 20+ years ago

Dark Matter is a copy/paste amalgamation of several old sci-fi shows, but somehow it's still good.

The Expanse is really good too, but not that original.

I mean, what can you really write for a TV show in the genre that hasn't been done and without having a huge budget?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I really like the cute 'ethnic' crew members that are noteworthy for like 2 episodes, then never seen or mentioned everof gain.

Also the TNG episode of the distant future version of a Nice Guy Goon living vicariously through holodeck poo poo.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
why dont u star trek voyager into the toilet janeways

lmao

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Nation posted:

why dont u star trek voyager into the toilet janeways

lmao

Looks like the owned zone is now population: everyone in the thread but Nation.

Good jobs Goons getting owned like this. :smuggo:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

wtf kuato ur av

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

they got me too

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Star trek always kind of sucked it's half the reason to watch it.

It also coasted on Uhura kissing Shatner and casting Sulu and Chekhov for so long it stopped excusing the crazy racist and sexiest poo poo they pulled back in the eighties.

Plus gay people were apparently genocided in the Eugenics wars.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 29, 2016

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

I can't be the only one, right?

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nathilus posted:

Just by gross scale yah. The bajorans are utter poo poo, period, case closed. But yeah he was kinda in charge of the enslavement and genocide of a whole planet of them. No amount of bad self-governance justifies that kind of progrom. Though dukat himself is slick as poo poo and is easily capable of making it seem so.

Remember that other episode in which a cardassian filing clerk pretended he was one of the higher-ups that ran a bunch of The Showers? His demeanor is what one would expect for someone who saw the kinda poo poo that went down from ground level, and actually has a soul. Dude was utterly broken by what he saw. Gul Dukat was in charge of all that poo poo.

Yeah but whenever they talk about how much blood gull Dukat has on his hand it's always"thousands" of Bajorins dead, not "millions" or "billions".

Gul Dukat was firm but fair. Pretty sure George w Bush has more blood on his hands that Gul Dukat.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Junior Jr. posted:

Now I'm wondering if Discovery will be like the new TNG or the same old poo poo like DS9 and enterprise.

You aren't worth spending the words on.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Junior Jr. posted:

I should've pointed out before, I actually liked the new reboot movies, specifically the first one and Beyond, Into Darkness was lame. What I'm getting at is the thinking man's sci-fi concept that TNG and Voyager worked on and the others didn't follow.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha now I know you're trolling

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
I want a monument for Picard. Tear down some history bullshit to make room for important stuff. Like sci fi and big questions.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I think the third reboot movie was not very good, OP.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Apoplexy posted:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha now I know you're trolling

voyager is good mmmkay

if you're sufficiently drunk or stoned while watching it so you don't notice it's actually bad, that is

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Voyage is unwatchable, it's one of those rare series where you want the main cast to suffer as much as possible yet even when they do, it's utterly unsatisfying.

Judging by the gossip and rumours, the new series setup is straight up Mass Effect except maybe with a Klingon captain instead of Keith David and a Femshep knock off first officer as the main character. Hmmmm.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
It's a precursor to the original Star Trek so it won't have a Klingon captain

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I think we can all agree it's been downhill since Requiem for Methuselah

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Kirki vs the Gorn is exactly my poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ-ATwRq5KY

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gul dukat was right

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Gul Dukat slinging dick is a hilarious character trait and the fact that even in Season 7 his dick slinging interferes with his religious mission, it's just great.

Dukat must have dozens of half-breed bastards that he doesn't even know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
The cast for the new movies are actually really great and I hope they make more before they all get crushed by defective Chrysler products.

• Locked thread