Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
Greetings Goons,

Any gardening advice for the following situation is appreciated.

There's a lot of lawn in front of my house. However, petroleum pipelines run under most of it, so I can't plant anything higher than 4 feet in that region. In addition to this, the lawn along the pipeline is in a long row clear of trees running mainly east and west, so there is a lot of sunlight and it gets a lot of sunlight. I live in the Atlanta metro area, so it gets very hot over the summer. I've tried planting grape vines along the edge of the pipeline, but after 3 days of being unable to water them due to travel, they died.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for good native plants that can thrive in this type of environment with minimal watering (biweekly or so) in a hot summer with lots of sunlight and don't grow over 4 feet tall. I've heard red clover and purple pixies as possible suggestions. Any others are appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

kudzoo

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Plant some weed my dude.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Blackberries my man. 2nd choices okra, watermelon, cucumbers.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Certain breeds of hostas take well to direct sunlight, though most prefer partial shade or at shade in half of the day. They are very hard to kill, and even when they appear dead, they'll spring right back up in time. Also, they take well to splitting and transplanting, so even just a few plants can potentially become dozens after a year or two.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
Thanks for all the suggestions! Weed is out since it's (stupidly) illegal here. Blackberries, watermelons and hostas look like excellent candidates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Check out Walter Reeves' website for natives suggestions. I would hesitate before planting blackberry canes, those things grow huge and are a giant pain to pull out if you want to get rid of them.

My family in Gwinnnett County planted drought tolerant blueberries and they grew really well in full sun. You can always prune the bushes to keep under 4 feet tall.

• Locked thread