Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

8 track betamax posted:

Fast forward a few years.....BAM there I am, sitting alone in my apartment, ready to make something of myself. I had saved up a couple hundred bucks from a side job at the car wash and I was feeling on top of the world, ready to take the bull in the balls as the old saying goes. Ring ring....its the phone, ringing like an electronic bat out of some sort of e-hell....ring ring "Ok ok keep your shirt on" I say, out lout this time, and I reach over and snatch the offensive phone up out of its cradle. It was one of those "see-through" phones where you can see all the innards and circuits on the inside because the plastic is "see-through"

The guy on the other end is the Rat Lord. He is calling to give you a warning. This is where the procedurally generated sweat stains become a central game mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
friendzoned by the entire world wow

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
SO, that gives a quick run down of where I was, both emotionally and mentally, when I came up with the idea of making a game. Now let's speed up to the present.

Down to brass takes, I've been working on this game, off and on, for about 15 years. More if you count the early work I coded up in ZZT. I've re-written the game several times but each time is just a refining process...boiling away the dross.

Further reading for clarification: https://www.google.sn/?client=ubuntu#q=kjv+seven+times+purified

What I have now is hard-coded into Javascript and using a lot of gamemaker assets, with windows. I'll be honest when I say I am more of an amateur programmer than a professional but what I know I know well and I know how to make a game that will change the world.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Mordja posted:

Hi OP will your game have crafting mechanics? I only play games with crafting mechanics.

Yes, both in that I am crafting an emotionally captivating story, and in that you an craft subway sandwiches in the in-game subway universe.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

8 track betamax posted:

Yes, both in that I am crafting an emotionally captivating story, and in that you an craft subway sandwiches in the in-game subway universe.

OK I'll buy your game then.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

8 track betamax posted:

What about the bread selection? Will it be baked in store?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

What about the bread selection? Will it be baked in store?

Yes in cinematic cut scenes

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

8 track betamax posted:

Will there be multiplayer?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

is your game going to have mod support?

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Can you make it playable only with a keyboard, and plugging in a mouse renders the game in an unwinnable state?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Source your quotes.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
"I am a real big loser with a tiny pens."
-Forums user Pvt.Scott

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Applewhite posted:

Will there be multiplayer?

when r u gonna finished the SA game??

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
*turns monitor off, walks away*

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

8 track betamax posted:

I think my emotions deserve to be put in captivity sign me up for your beta

will there be player housing in the subway?

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
I am calmly awaiting a synopsis of the moth level.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Flesh Forge posted:

I think my emotions deserve to be put in captivity sign me up for your beta

will there be player housing in the subway?

Player housing is handled on a stat-based system.... every time you level up you can put some exp. points into "housing" and when you have enough your character will then move into another house, while keeping the previous one, which you can then rent out. None of these houses are inside of the subway sandwich shop however as that is a seperate skill tree.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Doctor J Off posted:

"I am a real big loser with a tiny pens."
-Forums user Pvt.Scott

Hey! My memoirs aren't even published yet! What the heck?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

8 track betamax posted:

Player housing is handled on a stat-based system.... every time you level up you can put some exp. points into "housing" and when you have enough your character will then move into another house, while keeping the previous one, which you can then rent out. None of these houses are inside of the subway sandwich shop however as that is a seperate skill tree.

Will you implement hybrid builds so I can fulfill my dream of conceiving children in a Subway

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
this game work with occulus?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
You can buy an occulus in-game (its called virtual world goggles though) and your character can equip them to your shield slot.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Hi, big fan of your work, I'm curious are you planning to add dynamic tail knotting physics on the rat sovereign tia

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
can there be a literal subway you can live in with other hobos and trains and like you could poop in the corner and when the train goes by it could blow litter around with realistic physisc simulatiutons??

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Nooner posted:

when r u gonna finished the SA game??

I thought corn buddy was in charge of that?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Clack clack clack that's the sound my hands were making on the touch screen computer monitor as I typed my way through a massive block of hardcode.

I glanced over at the giant flat screen I had jigger rigged to the wall which showed a real-time output of my coding as it materializes in-game rear end sets.

"Little more off the top" I mumbled

The fur density of the on-screen cat reduced and her calico spots emerged.

"Hello again patches" I said lovingly to her.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

The Protagonist posted:

Hi, big fan of your work, I'm curious are you planning to add dynamic tail knotting physics on the rat sovereign tia

Physics in my game work in a very unique way, in that they are not modeled so much as they are " pre-scripted" in blender. This reflects the sovereignty of God in his predestination of certain unto salvation in His Son.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Hi OP this game world sounds like it will be quite expansive as well as detailed and interactive. Can I log onto my forums account in game and read this thread? Can I go over to your game-world house and watch you programming yet another game? Or look at your bible and see which passaged you've underlined or try to swap it with a Quran when game-you isn't looking?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

Hi OP this game world sounds like it will be quite expansive as well as detailed and interactive. Can I log onto my forums account in game and read this thread? Can I go over to your game-world house and watch you programming yet another game? Or look at your bible and see which passaged you've underlined or try to swap it with a Quran when game-you isn't looking?

To answer your questions I will tell you a story:

On Sept 11th, 2000 ... the whole world learned an important lesson. We learned that so called other "religions" were not peaceful or good. Pas de tout. In a perfect world, I said to myself, Christianity would have exterminated all others during the cruzaides. And this is the world I have set out to reflect "in game" as there is only one true religion..... protestant christianity.

You start the game as a crusader in the dark ages.....and are subsequently killed of natural causes at an old age. This then starts the character creation screen (hence the title "dead made alive") you a reincarnated as me, a 5 year old boy, vibrant and alive in a perfect world with your cat patches at your side.

This may seem like a lot to cover just to get started but it is mostly summarized through a 20 minute narration. (Looking for voice actors btw.... email your applicatio n and voice samples to camanator2001@gmail.com)

Hope this clears us any confusion .

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Will there be multiplayer I want to compare my Patches to other players

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
REFRENCE PHOTO PATCHES THE CAT

(Only surviving photo please do not steal)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
"jigger rigged"???

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Hmm I think you need to tighten up the graphics on level 3, OP.

And have legal check out the theme tune. It sounds a lot like that hit song 'Castle Kids' what was all the rage a while back. You wouldn't want to get sued.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

8 track betamax posted:

REFRENCE PHOTO PATCHES THE CAT

(Only surviving photo please do not steal)

Thread delivery

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
What manner of game is this? Third person, first person, sidescrolling pixeljunk shooter? Show us what you've done so far

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
SO this brings us back up to speed to present day. Here I am, isolated, perfect isolation. In which I can craft...build. Code. This blog is my only outlet to the world outside and it is a one way street if you know what I am talking about. I only reach out to the outworld for necessities.....food.

Here on the table beside me, with in easy reach, lies a pizza box with pizza inside. My fuel. I design my environs for maximum efficancy, and pizza boxes out of reach may seem like a small thing but when you are working under chrushing self imposed deadlines like I am inclined to do, every gesture, every movement comes at a cost. That cost is delay. Delay in realizing my dream.

The pizza calls to me...I lift the lid, lift a slice to my hungry maw. Eyes never leave the screen before me...ribbited to the data flowing past like that scene in the matrix where the bullets fly over Neo's flexible body....when out of the corner of my ear.... I hear a subtle squeak.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Put the pizza in a blender, perhaps with a savory cream sauce and more pizza sauce to support liquidity, and drink their pizza to save more tkme

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Are you all going to gloss over the fact that OP typed out the phrase "jigger rigged"?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Bug Report: Protestant Christianity doesn't recognize reincarnation.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I just bought all the code and art assets for Breeding Season and I'm repurposing it into a survival horror game a-la Five nights with Freddy's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

notZaar posted:

Are you all going to gloss over the fact that OP typed out the phrase "jigger rigged"?

I am not, and cannot, apologize for the English language. We have to accept her, warts and all, as God made her.

• Locked thread