Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
BAM. Slamming out code. Graphing out game theory.

This seat has imprints in it from my backside in the same way a dinosaurs footprint made a footprint in stone because of his massive weight and that print leaves a mark on this earth to this day. And that is how my game will leave a mark in history. Let me give you a little background on my creation process:

BAM. the year is 1988, I'm 5 years old. I start kindergarter. Christian School, A.C.E. curriculum. Learning scripture verses every day. The teacher tells us to pick out brown or green paper to cut out a frog for the wall. All the kids pick green......

I pick brown.

Extrapolate that out to today and it gives you a glimmer of insight into the mind behind this game. A mind that plays by its own rules and sees the world in a different fashion than literally everyone else. My mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Partial list of everyone who has doubted my abilities to create this dream game and who I have subsequently alienated:

Charles from my old job
Mom
Wife
Neighbor kids (bobby age 7, Gage age 12) real poo poo kids
Wife's mother.

I could go on, but I won't.

Too busy crafting a tidal wave of pair of dime shifting game play.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Decebal posted:

What's your favorite scripture verse ?

1st Cor. 3:16
Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong.

a star war betamax fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 29, 2016

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
That verse reminds my to keep pressing on and not stopping especially when it comes to finishing this game.

Another verse I like is

Ephesians 2:1-2

And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience.

I like these so much because they keep me going as I work on the crafting system and incorporate roguelike aspects into my game. I paraphrased the first part of verse 1 as "dead made alive" and had it tattooed onto my chest.

a star war betamax fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 29, 2016

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Game SUmmary:

:siren:DEAD MADE ALIVE:siren:

You wake up. You were dead, but no longer. Pull up from the ground, everything trembles around you. The world shifts into focus, a growling black swirling mass of color and light in black and white. "Where am I?" you howl into the darkness....no response. No one is there for you. Just like in real life. (this game makes you think as well as being fun)

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Gameplay aspects:

Limited inventory... You start with a backpack (school book size) because you start as a kid (5 years old) in school. Pack it full of whatever you want, the entire world is controlable. Want to bring a paper clip to school that you found digging around in the back yard looking for snake holes? Go ahead.

It occupies one inventory slot and weighs .1 UWU's (universal weight units)

(roughly one tenth of a pound)

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
First day at school was tough for me. First of all, like most youngsters, I was smaller than average for my age. I didn't want to be there, spent most the morning crying, pleading not to go. It's as if I knew, even at such a young age, that school was beneith me, that I was different. My mind had already surpassed the mean tasks of the class room. Reading, writting, arithmetic... basic tasks that I would have mastered on my own. But what did we learn of in class of the realms of higher thought, dreamlife, science fiction, game theory?? Alternate planes of existence? (ref: stranger things) The teacher would never dane to discuss such taboo topics and I was up to me to travel to the domains in my mind's eye.

Much like you, as a player, will travel to amazing worlds in my game "DEAD MADE ALIVE"

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

spud posted:

Will there be Day 1 DLC and a Season Pass?

I am all over Season Passes and like to secure one asap for my favourite video games.

I don't know what either of those things are because the only game I play is DC:SS and lately Ive gotten into playing wolf 3d in dosbox

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Flashforward:

Modern day. The idea to make this game hits me like a ton of bricks. I was working at a dead end job, (warehouse technician....I'm the one they call when the machines stop working. I go and call the 1-800 number written on the side. Talk to the tech support folks. Lock out tag out the machine. Back to break room. Fire up worm on the nokia) One day, a day that will live in infancy, coworker gets killed on the job. He was eating pain killers the way I eat doughnuts (high metabolism, food is like fuel to me) and he crawls up on top of a high shelf to get some shuteye. Falls asleep on his arm up there and it goes necrotic and I guess the dead arm juices started flowing into his heart because by the time we find him a week later he's half eaten by rats and you can make out all the scratch marks where he was trying to crawl away but his arm was just dead weight at that point and the rats were just tunneling into him nonstop like some sort of crazy school bus and the rats are the kids and I'm late for school and I'm about to piss my pants again.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Doctor J Off posted:

First question: is this a reboot of the long awaited (?) something awful: the lost king?

Second question: is there a cat?

Third: I don't know anything aboit coding, programming, drawing, website building, but can I have a job developing your game?

First question response: No

Second question response: Yes. Pet's will be enabled in the game. There are over 2 different pets available, with the total number being 3.

PETS:

1. Patches the Cat. She was my cat when I was a child. She was a calico cat and very friendly, kind. One of my few friends. Watch out when equipping her! She gets eaten by a coyote in level 4.
2. Buddy the dog. He is a Labrador (black) his powers include jumping on things and eating the last cantaloupe in mom's garden and then he gets put to sleep!
3. Dixie the dog. If you follow the Buddy pet path, your parents equip you with a new pet to replace Buddy... Dixie the dog. She is a weener dog (dockson)

Third question: I am sorry but this is a one-man operation but feel free to give input and advice because i do not want to be a lone ranger on this.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Back to the backstory of how this game mindflashed into my mind:

So after they get his body down off the top shelf they close off that whole wing of the warehouse. Up goes the plastic tarps, up go the warning tape. Up go the zippered entry ways.... in go the haz-mate guys in full bio suits. Just little glass face basks all fogged up faces all hazy back in there. Eyes wild with fear.

These rats just kept multiplying. They'd fed like they had never fed before and now that don't want to stop. "gonna nip this one in the bud" one of the hazemat guys tells me. He's loading some sort of syringe into a shotgun thing as he says this and I don't have a clue what he's talking about but all this down time lets me get a really high score in worm.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Days go by, you can see the guys shuffling back and forth into the sealed off part of the warehouse. ZIIIP ZIIIPP ZIIIIP thats the sound the big zipper on the flap would make. Sometimes they'd bring out big barrels with "RATS" written on the side of them and I asked what was in them and they said rats

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

CharlestonJew posted:

can someone make a game where the soundtrack is mostly a group of people telling jokes, laughing, and generally enjoying life so when I play it I can turn the volume way up and make my neighbors think I have friends? thanks

here you go

http://feeds.feedburner.com/uhhyeahdude/podcast

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
More backstory:

After a couple weeks it seemed like they were making headway against the rats when something happened that I will never forget. They stopped taking the punch cards at Subway where you get 10 punches and you get a free foot long. And also that same day one of the hazmat workers comes out of the zipper flap and he's staggering around kinda weird, all stiff like and his buddy is like "Hey Frank you alright pal?" and Frank sorta lifts a hand up and waves and I was pulled out of my depression about the subway punch card thing just a little bit at that point because they go up to frank and look through the face plate and his whole helmet is just filled with rats and somebody screams and everybody recoils back away from him and the suit starts coming apart at the seams and its just rats... rats everywhere. turns out the were puppeteering Franks suit from the inside the whole time. Which is just as well because if Frank had still been there I'm sure he would have been just as devastated as we all were about Subway's heel turn.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
So that was the day I said to myself, "This world is so mixed up, doesn't make any sense any more. Subway's gone to pieces. This job is getting me no where fast...." I said these things inside of my mind, not out lout. This is something I can do, I can think thoughts internally, and then I can express them inwardly, only barely moving my lips. Others around me are completely unaware of the inner dialogue unfolding right next to them, unless they are really close to my mouth which people rarely are.

"Wouldn't it be nice to escape into a cyber world where Patches was still alive, where subway still accepted my punch card, where this job didn't have constant interruptions of rats and hazmat suits and zipper tarps, where things still made sense..... I will make that world."

This game is a direct result of that internal conversation I held with myself on that faithful day. As God's word says:

Matthew 6:20

Be anxious for nothing and lay not up treasure for yourself on earth where moth and rat will corrupt, but lay up your treasure in heaven where thieves cannot break in and destroy

Which incidentally is the ultimate goal of the game, to be born again and then die and go live with God for ever in heaven.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

CharlestonJew posted:

does rat puppeteering count as stealth?

I am sorry about the confusion but everything I have been recounting is simply the backstory of how I got the idea to make the game and does not reflect any actual game play elements of the game itself. I will get into gameplay soon but I wanted to give everyone ITT a "peak behind the curtains" of the creation of this game.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Fast forward a few years.....BAM there I am, sitting alone in my apartment, ready to make something of myself. I had saved up a couple hundred bucks from a side job at the car wash and I was feeling on top of the world, ready to take the bull in the balls as the old saying goes. Ring ring....its the phone, ringing like an electronic bat out of some sort of e-hell....ring ring "Ok ok keep your shirt on" I say, out lout this time, and I reach over and snatch the offensive phone up out of its cradle. It was one of those "see-through" phones where you can see all the innards and circuits on the inside because the plastic is "see-through"

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
It was my mom asking me when I was going to pay her back the 500 dollars she loaned me.

"Mom, once my game gets off the ground, 500 dollars will be nothing to us anymore it will be like toilet paper. Because we will have something worth so much more than money...we will have the friendship of the whole world"

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
SO, that gives a quick run down of where I was, both emotionally and mentally, when I came up with the idea of making a game. Now let's speed up to the present.

Down to brass takes, I've been working on this game, off and on, for about 15 years. More if you count the early work I coded up in ZZT. I've re-written the game several times but each time is just a refining process...boiling away the dross.

Further reading for clarification: https://www.google.sn/?client=ubuntu#q=kjv+seven+times+purified

What I have now is hard-coded into Javascript and using a lot of gamemaker assets, with windows. I'll be honest when I say I am more of an amateur programmer than a professional but what I know I know well and I know how to make a game that will change the world.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Mordja posted:

Hi OP will your game have crafting mechanics? I only play games with crafting mechanics.

Yes, both in that I am crafting an emotionally captivating story, and in that you an craft subway sandwiches in the in-game subway universe.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

What about the bread selection? Will it be baked in store?

Yes in cinematic cut scenes

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Flesh Forge posted:

I think my emotions deserve to be put in captivity sign me up for your beta

will there be player housing in the subway?

Player housing is handled on a stat-based system.... every time you level up you can put some exp. points into "housing" and when you have enough your character will then move into another house, while keeping the previous one, which you can then rent out. None of these houses are inside of the subway sandwich shop however as that is a seperate skill tree.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
You can buy an occulus in-game (its called virtual world goggles though) and your character can equip them to your shield slot.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Clack clack clack that's the sound my hands were making on the touch screen computer monitor as I typed my way through a massive block of hardcode.

I glanced over at the giant flat screen I had jigger rigged to the wall which showed a real-time output of my coding as it materializes in-game rear end sets.

"Little more off the top" I mumbled

The fur density of the on-screen cat reduced and her calico spots emerged.

"Hello again patches" I said lovingly to her.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

The Protagonist posted:

Hi, big fan of your work, I'm curious are you planning to add dynamic tail knotting physics on the rat sovereign tia

Physics in my game work in a very unique way, in that they are not modeled so much as they are " pre-scripted" in blender. This reflects the sovereignty of God in his predestination of certain unto salvation in His Son.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

Hi OP this game world sounds like it will be quite expansive as well as detailed and interactive. Can I log onto my forums account in game and read this thread? Can I go over to your game-world house and watch you programming yet another game? Or look at your bible and see which passaged you've underlined or try to swap it with a Quran when game-you isn't looking?

To answer your questions I will tell you a story:

On Sept 11th, 2000 ... the whole world learned an important lesson. We learned that so called other "religions" were not peaceful or good. Pas de tout. In a perfect world, I said to myself, Christianity would have exterminated all others during the cruzaides. And this is the world I have set out to reflect "in game" as there is only one true religion..... protestant christianity.

You start the game as a crusader in the dark ages.....and are subsequently killed of natural causes at an old age. This then starts the character creation screen (hence the title "dead made alive") you a reincarnated as me, a 5 year old boy, vibrant and alive in a perfect world with your cat patches at your side.

This may seem like a lot to cover just to get started but it is mostly summarized through a 20 minute narration. (Looking for voice actors btw.... email your applicatio n and voice samples to camanator2001@gmail.com)

Hope this clears us any confusion .

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
REFRENCE PHOTO PATCHES THE CAT

(Only surviving photo please do not steal)

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
SO this brings us back up to speed to present day. Here I am, isolated, perfect isolation. In which I can craft...build. Code. This blog is my only outlet to the world outside and it is a one way street if you know what I am talking about. I only reach out to the outworld for necessities.....food.

Here on the table beside me, with in easy reach, lies a pizza box with pizza inside. My fuel. I design my environs for maximum efficancy, and pizza boxes out of reach may seem like a small thing but when you are working under chrushing self imposed deadlines like I am inclined to do, every gesture, every movement comes at a cost. That cost is delay. Delay in realizing my dream.

The pizza calls to me...I lift the lid, lift a slice to my hungry maw. Eyes never leave the screen before me...ribbited to the data flowing past like that scene in the matrix where the bullets fly over Neo's flexible body....when out of the corner of my ear.... I hear a subtle squeak.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

notZaar posted:

Are you all going to gloss over the fact that OP typed out the phrase "jigger rigged"?

I am not, and cannot, apologize for the English language. We have to accept her, warts and all, as God made her.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Zombiepop posted:

What age rating is this game? 13? 16? 18?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Zombiepop posted:

:captainpop:
Im not old enough, gotta leave the thread I guess. What makes it so hardcore its 33??

I will include questions at the begining to make sure the player is actually 33 years off age or older....a la lizard suit larry

Q: Why did grandpa beat your little sister the night you had to spend at their house because your parents were fighting?

Q: Your best friend Micheal said he broke his bike when he ramped it off his roof. Is this a lie?

Q: You're not allowed to go to "mixed-swimming" events unless they are family members only. Your cousin brings her next door neighbor to the pool. What do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Pvt.Scott posted:

I hope I did well. I only recently turned 33, though.

Aced it ..... :etepop:

• Locked thread