Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66a59bOGTzU&hd=1

i really wanted to find the whole sequence of max talking leo into going along with the scheme ("money is honey, bloom...") because this scene really needs the build-up beforehand for the crescendo to pack the punch that it did for me.

i mean, we all know that the whole thing goes all to poo poo later on, but the potential that bloom realized that he held --as hilarious as the whole movie-- is, without a doubt in my mind, one of the most beautiful scenes ever put to film. the last time i was in new york city, i made it a point to see the fountain at lincoln center just because of that scene.

all in all, i guess gene really did end up getting everything he had ever seen in the movies, and i can't be too sad about that. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
honestly, i don't think mel's first choice (peter sellers) could have delivered the pathos quite like gene wilder did.

and for that, the world was a brighter place, if only for a little while.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
btw: his autobiography, "kiss me like a stranger" is really, really good.

also: gently caress alzheimers.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xanei.exe posted:

idk I think part of what made Cosby's thing so bad was that he touted being a family man and basically tried to get all black people to follow his example. Then it turned out he'd been raping people since the sixties, flying in the face of his "fresh like a spring breeze" persona.

That, and the Sandusky rule kicked in -- past a certain number of credible allegations, the odds would be that he'd be guilty of at least one of those. I mean, it wasn't like they all cropped up at once for Cosby.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Secular Humanist posted:

I think the separating art and artist thing is a good idea.

I don't think you can in this day and age, at least not while they're still alive, when they can still profit from your patronage with residual royalties and all.

I mean, Wagner was a huge anti-semitic poo poo head, but there's enough distance between now vs. when he died that I know a classical composition featuring his works would support the performing ensemble more than him or his ideals.

What I'm saying is that I ain't in any hurry to watch Chinatown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crazyeyes posted:

Betty White better watch out.

Nah, I'm pretty sure she's a highlander. Somebody defeated Abe Vigoda, and it certainly wasn't Dick Clark.

• Locked thread