Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Oh, Strange Journey. You're a hell of a mess. I've beaten the game multiple times and I'll have a bunch to weigh in on, much the same as Luisfe's run. It's not as bad as people make it out to be, but not by much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

Neurion posted:

From what I've seen so far, the combat system does indeed look unpolished at best and downright garbage at worst. Does the other DS SMT game (4) use something like Press Turn or a derivative?
SMT4 has a system very similar to Press Turns, as well as Smirking when hitting a weakness or critting, which gives a buff effectively equal to max all -kaja spells until that character's next turn.

It also did some weird things, particularly stuff like there not being a vitality stat or defense value, but that gets into a much longer discussion.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Kemix posted:

Lack of Def/Vitality is a major double edged sword, which makes a player focus more offensively than defensively. And also think about "Do I want to waste this turn buffing my stats or go full ham and try to cut my opponents to pieces?", which makes things a bit more tactical since going for a Turtle strategy is flat out a bad idea. And, for those of you just starting? Full Bufu spam for the first real boss (you'll know who I mean when you see the motherfucker). I died more times than I care to admit to him because I was probably either A. Underleveled or B. Not going full ham on spamming Bufu. At the very least, any devoted offensive stat (Attack, Magic or Agility) is fully viable as long as you don't go for a "balanced" approach in the game since the three stats are pretty well balanced with skills (Attack for regular weapons, Agility for Gun attacks (You don't pick up your first gun until AFTER the first boss though) and Magic for...well, you get the picture.)
Except that dexterity boosted your damage twice as effective as strength for both physical and gun skills. The only thing that strength boosted more than dexterity was using the basic Attack command. (Agility affected turn order but did nothing for damage.)

Like I said, a much longer discussion.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

How does this even work? Like depending on how damage is handled, everything is gonna have to have tons of HP, or battles are basically rocket tag, and might come down to who moves first.
Much more rocket tag. Rakukaja (defense boost spell) and Tarunda (attack down) both exist, but you had to spend turns buffing or debuffing. Other than that, resistances were the only way of mitigating damage, which is what the main character's armor did (and all it did).

Oh, and every armor but one came with a weakness on it. :atlus:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Strange Journey has one of the best soundtracks in the series.
Whoa, whoa, let's not say anything we'll regret here. I mean, SJ does have a few very good pieces, but it's not even close to DDS or Nocturne.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Speaking of which, there really is no way to mark the map yourself in any way, shape, or form?
It's alllllll automap!

theshim
May 1, 2012

I like Sources. They let you do some really, really stupid things with fusion. :getin:

Also, I think one of the main reasons the game sticks lovely fixed formas around places is to give you a little bit of an idea of where you can go. It's surprisingly helpful, sometimes, and almost suspiciously so for an SMT game.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Enemy Search is fun. Lategame Enemy Search is invaluable.

Also: Mastema :argh:

theshim
May 1, 2012

We can push pages over, no problem. There's some fun stuff in Carina to look forward to.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Reflect abuse in SJ is the easiest way to take out a few of the game's most genuinely difficult bosses. I barely made use of it most of the time, but with a little effort it ends up being absolutely nuts.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Definitely want to hee-help that Jack Frost, ho. One of the better rewards.

theshim
May 1, 2012

The only Fiend I bothered to fight more than once was the last one, which was an amazing way of grinding quickly at the end of the game.

I really didn't do Enemy Search enough when I played SJ way back when. It probably would have helped.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Yeah, this page was already getting really heavy.

Delphinus...it's...there? It's grim and grey and ugly, and all of that is precisely what it's supposed to be. That said, there are a few interesting things, especially the boss.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Soloing Asura is great, not least because it'll give you a huge amount of exp and put you above the curve for a while :allears:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Gibo Eyes has one important use even if you have a guide open for everything, to be fair...though that's way, way, way down the line.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Shouldn't you be thinking about their feelings?
Wow, what a nice thing to say. Now look me in the eye and tell me it's what you really think.

Jimenez! Enough!
...Yeah, yeah,I'll go. Better that than stick around here to argue some more.

Why, you...! Rrrrgh!
I realize everyone will have their own opinion, but please remain calm and rational.

Think you mixed up a couple screenshots here (check the filenames, etc).

theshim
May 1, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

Just looking at the teleport maze minimap makes me scream internally. Why is this sector the best, again?
Because Dragonatrix is a broken shell of a human.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Disaster Cycle is an amazingly dickish move in a game with a lot of them. Most of it can be dealt with, but the fact that it can drop an unavoidable game over is just bullshit.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Fun fact: the Hebrew word for Mother is spelled Aleph Mem :eng101:

theshim
May 1, 2012

I actually like Fornax, simply because I found it relaxing after the goddamn mess that Eridanus was. v:shobon:v

Also

OH YEAH!

theshim
May 1, 2012

I can't help but love this line.

Also I recall having actual trouble with Jack way back when, but thankfully there's an easy way to deal with him that I'm sure will be coming up later...

theshim
May 1, 2012

SweaterGear posted:

Bummer that stat-ups aren't actually all that great it seems. I guess I'm more used to other RPGs where stats are frequently the only thing that matters and items that raise your stats are worth their weight in gold.
Yeah, Fire Emblem this ain't.

Really, just dump them all on Hitonari, you're never going to use them otherwise and a few extra points certainly don't hurt.

theshim
May 1, 2012

theshim
May 1, 2012

SweaterGear posted:

Huh, so the Schwarzwelt has shown up on Earth "many times" in the past. That's a huge reveal! It means that humanity can undoubtedly win without surrendering to the chaos of demonkind or submitting themselves to the law of the angels. I hope going forward that the crew's morale is sky high after this. Also, now there's no reason to listen to Zelenin or Jimenez anymore!
Not necessarily. It could simply mean that the Schwartzwelt has showed up, consumed everything, and intelligent life had to start over again.

mandatory lesbian posted:

i really like zelenin going from "angels are cool i guess" to "submit wholly to god's will" in the course of this dungeon

and by really like i of course mean how does anyone pick law in this game without feeling like a dumbass
[tallgeese intensifies]

theshim
May 1, 2012

Honestly, I really don't remember having much in the way of issues with Grus. That said, I don't really remember Grus at all. It's just...forgettable, eminently forgettable.

Horologium, though? Oooooh, boy. :getin:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Jimenez is a remarkably straightforward fight. No tricks or bullshit (unless you use a reflect item), he just hits like a loving truck. :rip:

theshim
May 1, 2012

One thing that's important to note is that SJ only really punishes using reflect items/skills. Having demons with innate reflect on your team is A-ok.

For reference, Jimenez will nearly oneshot himself with Chaos Tack on a Doppleganger :unsmigghh:

theshim
May 1, 2012

If you were dumb like me and didn't have Dragonatrix's encyclopedic knowledge of the demons and stuff in the game, Seraph made the Law route a lot easier. You can just coast through most fights once you have him with Big Bang. I used him and Huang Long and I think Amaterasu as my grinding team and just farmed Trumpeters on B8F.

Good times.

theshim
May 1, 2012

MA and Mother's Kiss are just nasty. Mem Aleph is kind of bullshit because of the sheer number of ways she can simply decide "no you lose now" but for some reason I didn't mind the fight all that much.

theshim
May 1, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Metatron in general is probably the chillest of all the angels in SMT games. As long as you're not spitting in their face openly (see: SMT3), you don't get the business given to you.
And then there's SMT4A Metatron. But that kinda ties into the shitshow that is the final dungeon in SMT4A in general.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Pillar Zelenin is kind of a joke, sadly.

I will say that I've had the charm land from both her and Mastema, though, so either you're lucky, I'm unlucky, or I was just using bad demons for it, because it's not like the game tells you anything about status resistances!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

Congrats on another fine LP, Dragonatrix :golfclap:

• Locked thread