Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
drat IT BURROUGHS! I CAN'T ESCAPE YOOOOOOUUUUUUUU! :argh: But seriously looking forward to a level head tackling this game, Luisfe's was good...but so full of anger and hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

GeneX posted:

I remember...Luisfe, I think? LPing this and just quitting out of frustration (or finishing it? I may have quit reading out of boredom, myself). Tedium is difficulty, in its own special way, so I don't know if the statement at the start of the thread is especially accurate.

He did all the possible routes in the game. He just didn't do certain things that will remain vague until the end of this run and well into the next one.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

theshim posted:

SMT4 has a system very similar to Press Turns, as well as Smirking when hitting a weakness or critting, which gives a buff effectively equal to max all -kaja spells until that character's next turn.

It also did some weird things, particularly stuff like there not being a vitality stat or defense value, but that gets into a much longer discussion.

Lack of Def/Vitality is a major double edged sword, which makes a player focus more offensively than defensively. And also think about "Do I want to waste this turn buffing my stats or go full ham and try to cut my opponents to pieces?", which makes things a bit more tactical since going for a Turtle strategy is flat out a bad idea. And, for those of you just starting? Full Bufu spam for the first real boss (you'll know who I mean when you see the motherfucker). At the very least, any devoted offensive stat (Attack, Magic or Agility) is fully viable as long as you don't go for a "balanced" approach in the game since the three stats are pretty well balanced with skills (Attack for regular weapons, Agility for Gun attacks (You don't pick up your first gun until AFTER the first boss though) and Magic for...well, you get the picture.)

Also, Smirking is, also, a double edged sword. And it can trigger on crits or avoiding attacks. And if you Smirk at the end of your turns? You're all but guaranteed to avoid attacks and waste your opponent's press turns. The opposite is also true of enemies, so if you have a smirking boss on your hands? Pray to whatever god you loving believe in, you're about to have a Bad Time

Kemix fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 12, 2016

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

theshim posted:

Much more rocket tag. Rakukaja (defense boost spell) and Tarunda (attack down) both exist, but you had to spend turns buffing or debuffing. Other than that, resistances were the only way of mitigating damage, which is what the main character's armor did (and all it did).

Oh, and every armor but one came with a weakness on it. :atlus:

Well. All armor increased HP, Head and Leg pieces increased certain stats and the Chest pieces are what determine your weaknesses and resistences. (And if you bought DLC armor? Congrats, you win the first quarter of the game for the most part. gently caress, the Deity Scales chest piece RESISTED PHYS AND GUNS. That's pretty much EVERY boss move up towards the end of Naraku the first time you climb down it, all for the "steep" cost of 10 Life Stones at K's Tavern and all of the second wave DLC pieces were viable towards the loving endgame.). And your protagonist, barring certain Chest pieces, was always nulling Hama spells.

theshim posted:

Except that dexterity boosted your damage twice as effective as strength for both physical and gun skills. The only thing that strength boosted more than dexterity was using the basic Attack command. (Agility affected turn order but did nothing for damage.)

Like I said, a much longer discussion.

Sorry, I meant Dexterity. I have this tendency to get the two confused when I don't have the game open in front of me. But I didn't know Dexterity was better for skills. Though, I have this tendency to use Physical attacks if I want to conserve MP (Though by a certain point you can buy MP restoration en masse, so that mitigates it somewhat) and I like to lean towards the weaker, multi-hit weapons that can also proc status ailments *coughboneswordcough*

Kemix fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 12, 2016

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Hunt11 posted:

Strange Journey has one of the best soundtracks in the series.

I'm meh on it myself. SJ has great ambiance with it's music, but the actual pieces aren't something I'm big on. Gimmie Persona's soundtrack (still regularly listen to 4's here and there) and SMT4's (still angry my Atlus Tax on the pre-order/First Run CD only had tracks up to Tokyo...and no that's not really an SMT 4 spoiler, look at the e-manual/promotional material and you'll see some of the screen shots of the protag and friends in Tokyo)

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Section Z posted:

I know it's RPG mechanics, but I can't help but smile at "Weak to being shot with guns"

I like to imagine that copper and steel, while can be honed to a sharpness unsurpassed by all, the protagonist(s) don't understand the idea of, y'know, STABBING with their weapon (when said weapon is meant to be stabbing into the soft thing). The bullet is that stabbing motion (Honed to perfection with lead and gunpowder) that just gets into those nooks and crannies that slashing at the problem just won't solve. Or they're just allergic to gunpowder and lead and it results in lots and lots more damage when it rips through their flesh and bone.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Tallgeese posted:

I'm pretty sure every single LP has ended up at Neutral. It actually kind of defeats the point of holding a vote.

Also, SMT4 was somehow more of a slog than this game. Though it could be that it is so because I played this first.

Luisfe did all three routes on his (Not Archived) LP of this game...just starting the game from a certain point two more times over, grinding to 99 with an XP code and then showing the routes off.

Also SMT4's neutral ending was a loving slog. You HAD to do almost all, if not ALL of the loving side-quests in the game for it. I wound up losing interest and stopped playing all together for it. And I probably won't return to it because SMT4:Final/Apocalypse is a better game in pretty much all respects (I still have yet to complete it, I'm sitting on 5/8th moon I think, because Work is a bitch)

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Dragonatrix posted:

There are 2 Food race demons in both IV and Apocalypse that aren't UMAs in SJ. They are Onmoraki and Katakirauwa. The rest of the race is the entirety of the UMA race here. For all intents and purposes, Food is just renamed UMA. Nothing in the Food race makes a lick of sense; Onmoraki is a death bird and Katakirauwa is a demon spirit that steals your soul.

SMT4/4:A's still a better made game than this as far as I'm concerned. But I find the "food" category of demons basically "We don't get cows, chickens, etc. We gotta eat THIS instead. Categorize them into a singe group so we know exactly what's an edible demon out there." And as far as I'm concerned, that's all that matters really. Besides, I'm pretty sure Katakirauwa fries up pretty good and Onmoraki...well, deep fat fry that fucker and you got some KFC on your hands.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Huh. Hyper Skull Crush...god I love some of these direct translations into english. But look at it this way. If you crush someone's skull (and they survive) that leads into the True Lobotomy! :v:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
As much as I hate Zelenin and Jimenez, at least it's easy to know which path the both of them are on. Though I hate how she completely dismisses demons as sentient beings with their own feelings, I'm with Jimenez on how to treat your demons. At least think of them as more than just tools you stuck up bitch. "Waaaah I hate demons because they killed my crew members so I don't want to use them", yea and everyone ELSE on the ship dealt with the same feelings, but at least they're willing to recruit and fuse them to get out of there. If this were a just universe, she'd have been killed off before the end of Bootes and just go on with someone else on the path she aligns with.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

grimlock_master posted:

I'm starting to see a pattern in the areas. Are we gonna get the seven-deadly-sins treatment?

Kinda-sorta.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
God drat it Zelenin, why couldn't you have died on the Elve and left the Completely-not-even-trying-to-hide-it-law character thing to someone else? I'm sure there was someone else with more personality than you.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
The game is very bad in the second half. Holy gently caress it's bad. The backtracking, the tedium, the existence of bullshit that the next few sectors will try your patience and ability to deal with bullshit. I still say SMT4's the better game, but people will probably ignore me anyways.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
So, I'm DOUBLE wrong then? That means I'm RIGHT in hating this sector in all it's rear end in a top hat glory. See, isn't math wonderful? A minus negative turns into a positive because MATH! Also science of course. I guess.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Robindaybird posted:

Moloch had a cool design, but Mitha to Mithras was a huge downgrade.

There's just so many baffling design decisions in this game.

It gets worse and worse towards end-game. God drat does it get worse. I mean holy gently caress, second half of the game is a loving SLOG with bad balancing and bad design choices.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

SweaterGear posted:

I give him a 50% chance to have joined up with Jack's Squad and 50% chance he'll escape by fusing with Bugaboo. Because Jimenez is just awful and the Chaos guy always fuses with a demon.

Dude, that's not even -subtle-. OF COURSE he joins Jack's Squ- oh who am I kidding. Well, besides myself obviously :v:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Irving's probably Best Character in this game along with Arthur for things that...won't become apparent until one of the routes.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

SweaterGear posted:

Good on Arthur for making the right call regarding Jimenez. Also, don't most SMT games stop giving bosses weaknesses at some point? It feels like the game is far enough along that big sector bosses shouldn't have free damage multipliers anymore, but I guess SJ is as weirdly easy as some people in the thread claim.

Eh. There's certainly some gobs of bullshit coming up, specially depending on which path you wind up taking.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Blaze Dragon posted:

I feel the game is trying to tell me Jimenez isn't in the right here for wanting to get rid of the people who have shown absolutely no redeeming qualities, keep causing things that would be war crimes at the very least if law was a thing in the Schwhatever, and keep interrupting the flow of gameplay so the player will also hate them.

I can't disagree with Jimeboo here, is what I'm trying to say. Murder them all.

Don't think anyone would honestly. After killing the skeleton crew back in Jack's Base, lets be honest, I'd have just bombed the fuckers and been done with it. Jack's Squad, outside their initial appearance, have been Bad People and should have been taught some loving manners about making GBS threads where you sleep. But hey, I'll give Jimmy this, he's open to a peaceful solution. Too bad this won't be the kind of "solution" he'll want any part of.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Eyup. Law is a bunch of dicks, brainwashes people and doesn't give a gently caress. AND PEOPLE WONDER WHY PEOPLE SIDE WITH DEMONS OR REMAIN NEUTRAL! I'll take strife and possible gory death over losing my brain to some rear end in a top hat who would toss me aside the second I'm no longer useful. Granted, this is SJ, so this is just a look at Lawful and Chaotic stupid in their natural habitats.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 21, 2017

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

freshlybaked posted:

I'm also under the opinion that the first DeSu had the best (as in you might go with them) alignment heroes as far as the conventional law and chaos. Mind you, I don't really remember too much about Naoya since he's not in a lot of the game past his own route and the law one. (Did he even show up if you go with Haru and Gin?)

I believe you DO have to fight him in DeSu1 if you go Gin/Atsuro and he gets absolutely -pissed- if you go Law for plot related reasons.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Get the murder boner roarin and kill Jack's Squad Because gently caress them and gently caress the angels with a rusty rail road spike.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Hunt11 posted:

At this point Lusife was so broken by the game that you could almost hear his cries of despair in every post.

And that's not even getting into what he did to show off all the paths in the game. By that point he was little more than a shell of himself. Poor LP never got archived either if I remember correctly.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

GeneX posted:

Oh look, an extended bad ending.

Looking back over the updates, Dragonatrix kept a fairly steady "Law" Alignment across the game. Barring the Devas and the Chaos aligned doors, I kinda saw this one coming. Either way, lets hope he doesn't wind up losing his poo poo like Luisfe before him if he intends to do all three routes.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

SweaterGear posted:

This is just gross. Humanity's best and brightest have turned their back on their mission. How could someone decide that humanity is so beyond saving that total devastation or total subjugation is a better option? I'm really having a hard time sympathizing with anyone who would throw away their humanity (ie Jimenez and Zelenin) or those who'd side with them in earnest.

I will say now, the Chaos path isn't much better in this regard. But holy gently caress the game goes heavily black and white in regards to the Chaos/Law paths. Seriously, it's almost disgusting how badly they dropped the ball here. At least the Neutral path isn't on the side of "pants on head retarded" like the other two are.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Petiso posted:

Digital Devil Saga is mostly fine with it since shields are a big part of battle mechanics in that one. There's still a handful of bosses that do the "taking their ball and going home because you won't play by their rules" as-said-by-Dragonatrix routine.

I found the shield items quite useful in Persona 3 too, it's sorta balanced by the fact that they're quite rare and once you get access to the spells with the same effect most bosses already know Megidolaon.

Unless you go through some ENTIRELY complex fusion and evolution chart step by step to get them early and then proceed to break the entire game over your knee.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

GimmickMan posted:

It's worse.

You get the law ending.

EXTENDED BAD ENDING, HOOOOOOOOOO!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Metatron in the SJ-verse seems like a cool enough guy to hang out with. Certainly level headed enough. Also lets NOT get into the Law/Chaos poo poo flinging discussion again. My loving eyes god drat glazed over and tried to roll over into the back of my head from it.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

SweaterGear posted:

So Chaos is as bad an ending as Law? Makes sense. Also, I'm another person who isn't surprised that Mastema is a scumbag.

It wouldn't surprise me that even on the "Lol thousand year kingdom" route he's secretly a douchebag because it always seems to be in an Angel's DNA to brutally murder whoever isn't in their "not shitlords" club.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

freshlybaked posted:

I can't think of any DS Atlus game that hasn't been or going to be remade for 3DS at this point. Except the Trauma Center games, but those did move to the Wii.

Seriously though where the gently caress is my Trauma Center Remastered/Trauma Center 3?! The wii games don't count.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

KataraniSword posted:

Honestly, I don't remember Mastema being so restrained in the Neutral Route. I swore he fought you here, too, not just showed up, went "poo poo, you hosed us up but ha ha you hosed up too and we can just outlive you :smuggo:" and then hosed off.

Mastema-Not even once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
And they say an AI is an emotionless machine. Fucker had more personality than most of the Red Sprite crew put together. We salute you, ya ever learning AI and hope ya ended up somewhere good in the end...if robots could have a soul that is.

• Locked thread