Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Wow, I played this all the way through and basically thought it was one of the most difficult games Id played in a while last summer. Now I know I was just really really loving bad at the game.

Whatever you do, always take the Lancer who likes lances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012
It's not a really difficult game, though there's definitely some gimmicks that can throw you for a loop when you're playing for the first time. Also when you're playing sensibly. If you're playing to win, the correct answer is almost always 'take a Scout, run up to the enemy base camp, shoot everyone, win in one turn', but the game is much less fun that way.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Arcomage posted:

It's not a really difficult game, though there's definitely some gimmicks that can throw you for a loop when you're playing for the first time. Also when you're playing sensibly. If you're playing to win, the correct answer is almost always 'take a Scout, run up to the enemy base camp, shoot everyone, win in one turn', but the game is much less fun that way.
I think this is the main problem here. Playing sensibly and using tactics won't get you the optimal results, for that you have to abuse the mechanics. Can't help but think that with a bit less gimmicks and a bit more balance this would be a brilliant game; like this, I burned out on it like three missions from the end because it became more and more nonsensical. And that's not counting the story.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Video - The Kloden Wildwood, Part 1

Welkin gets Alicia's goat.

New Recruits

Nina Streiss, Shocktrooper

Country Bred: Standing on bare dirt leads to a boost in concentration, raising accuracy.
Camp Defender: Bent on protecting the camp by sheer force of will, they naturally become better at evading attacks.
Lancer Hater: For whatever reason, lancers aren't their thing. Attack power is lowered against lancers.
First Aid Boost: The healing powers of Ragnaid (S) are occasionally enhanced.

Susie Evans, Scout

Country Bred: Standing on bare dirt leads to a boost in concentration, raising accuracy.
Good Buddy: Being around close friends makes even the battlefield a little cheerier, boosting their attack power.
Trooper Hater: For whatever reason, shocktroopers aren't their thing. Attack power is lowered against shocktroopers.
Sighting: Accuracy is improved after sighting an enemy.

This chapter adds West Vasel to your replayable skirmish maps.

Ty the Immortal is no longer lurking in the grass on the riverside, and you get 1 less CP to work with. Those are the only changes from story mode.

I'll run this skirmish enough to unlock potentials for most of the grunts we've used so far.

Updated Personnel Files

Welkin Gunther

Eleanor Varrot

Wendy Cheslock

Aisha Neumann

Ted Ustinov

Freesia York

Aika Thompson

Walter Nash

Dallas Wyatt

Oscar Bielert

Medic

In the process of skirmishing, poor Karl and Oscar went and got their asses shot off.

They'll be just fine; and this also caused something else to happen.

When you unlock Karl and Oscar's hidden potentials, their expanded bios mention that they each joined up for the sake of a loved one. Said ones are two of the hidden recruits, and Karl or Oscar taking a critical wound after unlocking their potential is the trigger for them joining up.

Child of Nature: Paved roads feel strange and cold, leading to discomfort and lowered defense.
Darcsen Bond: Having brethren close by to protect stirs enhanced defensive abilities.
Trooper Killer: Confidence that they can best any shocktrooper grants a boost in attack abilities.
Undercover Fire: When crouching, their attack power is boosted.

As a Darcsen shocktrooper, Lynn is the ideal counterpart for some things we'll get later on. She isn't the toughest trooper, lacking anything like Rosie's intercept-fire resistance, but her hidden potential might just be the best in the whole game.

Meadow Bred: Standing in a grassy field helps them relax, enhancing their defense.
Frail Body: Having less than half-full AP makes them feel totally exhausted, leading to decreased defense.
Good Buddy: Being around close friends makes even the battlefield a little cheerier, boosting their attack power.
Accuracy Boost: Firing accuracy is boosted a set percentage of the time.

Emile is a sniper, just like his big bro. Most of the snipers are as good as their weapons; I find that lots of sniper potentials never come into play.

This callous disregard for the lives of my men also gets every soldier class up to level 6.

Alicia, Noce, and Susie gain First Aid Boost: The healing powers of Ragnaid (S) are occasionally enhanced.
Ted, Ramona, Freesia, and Aika gain Nocturnal: Their keen eyes pierce the dark of night, allowing for visibility equal to that in the middle of the day.
Wavy and Nancy gain Power Scout: Sighting five or more enemy units grants a boost in both evasion and attack power.
Montley and Juno gain Skilled Assassin: If able to successfully land an attack without being noticed first, attack power and evasion both rise.

That earns a few new orders as well.

Shocktrooper level 5 unlocks the option to make a soldier more killy. This one might be good against aces or crouched lancers, but otherwise I'd rather just use grenades and get in close.

Level 5 snipers give you this. It should help keep them effective until I can permanently fix their issues with new guns.

This one comes from engineer level 6. For 2 CP, you can shield the whole detail rather than one single unit. You aren't often pushing absolutely everyone into the line of fire, so it's not quite as useful as Defense Boost.

Ms. Ellet just has a few new articles for this chapter:

Militia Claims Vasel Bridge

Gallia to Pull Out of North

The War Cemetery was a bust too.

KC and Leon are still plugging away, at least.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 20, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Oh Catherine, you're the second best sniper in the game mostly thanks to your voice :allears:

anilEhilated posted:

I think this is the main problem here. Playing sensibly and using tactics won't get you the optimal results, for that you have to abuse the mechanics. Can't help but think that with a bit less gimmicks and a bit more balance this would be a brilliant game; like this, I burned out on it like three missions from the end because it became more and more nonsensical. And that's not counting the story.

I find the gimmicks help break up the flow of the game enough to keep things interesting but the NEED FOR SPEED emphasis on ranking keeps them from being truly enjoyable and the gimmicks get laid on a bit thick with the endgame.

Edit: Oh right, it's kind of a shame that the Medic doesn't get many lines since she completes the trifecta of the Skies of Arcadia cast being in this game. Also she's never called by her actual name. Fina keeps on trucking though.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 6, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

This war's going south. If Squad 7 can take the Imperial supply base in Kloden's wild wild woods, it will cripple the enemy's southern advance.

This operation will take place in dense forest. A frontal assault on the Empire's first camp will face stiff resistance from lancers and heavy gunnery; however, the Edelweiss can draw the enemy's fire while another team routes through the second camp to flank most of those defenses. Intelligence indicates Imperial general Radi Jaeger is en route with reinforcements; situation at the base itself remains unknown.

Ted, Wavy, Freesia, Salinas, Wendy, Walter, Karl, and Catherine are on leave. Choose five to eight soldiers.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Oh boy, these recruits. Nina's totally average, but Susie, Susie is absolutely awful, for reasons similar to Dorothy, Herbert, and Ramsey. Their hidden potentials all have one thing in common, that makes them massive liabilities that you pretty much can never use again once they've been unlocked. Lynn is fantastic, solid stats and, as mentioned, a truly phenomenal personal potential. Emile is the second-best sniper in the game, and you'll often want two snipers on-hand, so it works out quite well.

Use Lynn, Emile, Jann, Alex, and Nadine, plus three whoevers.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Really Pants posted:

Which parts give you trouble?

oh i don't have trouble with it per se, i'm just not very good at strategy games in general, despite loving them to death

i am a video game masochist

Bellophon
Sep 26, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

Use Lynn, Emile, Jann, Alex, and Nadine,

This, plus Aika, Wendy, and Coby.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
-Lynn
-JANE
-Nancy
-Juno
-Jann
-Dallas

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I hope you can get Dallas's ridiculous quotes on film. Dallas and Ted are my precious gay babies. Throw Jan in a fire.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I hope you can get Dallas's ridiculous quotes on film. Dallas and Ted are my precious gay babies. Throw Jan in a fire.

I think Ted's Fancies Men and Fancies Women potentials are just meant to show how much he loves having an audience, but yeah I also tend to assume he's bi because sure why not. Plus Show-Off scales with number of enemies or something because when Scout rushing some maps he just becomes completely invincible after a certain point. Disagree hard about Jann though, he's rad.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, Jann is amazing and cool. Honestly, he's one of the major redeeming characters of one of the DLCs, which is astounding considering its main character.

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014
Like other people have said, the thread title is perfect.

Lynn
Jane
Montley
Dallas
Emile
Oscar
Jann the Mann

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

Admittedly I have no idea if he's actually a good unit or not. As soon as he started talking I threw him in the barracks and never looked back.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Admittedly I have no idea if he's actually a good unit or not. As soon as he started talking I threw him in the barracks and never looked back.

That is the exact opposite reaction I had; once I heard John DiMaggio channel Paul Lynde, Jann was my Mann until the Ennd.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nancy, Juno, Alex, Coby, Lynn, Jann, Nadine, and Emile will load in for Kloden.

Why yes, this game is almost a decade old. How did you guess????

I think literally every soldier with Pollen Allergy will be going into the forest mission. Thanks goons.

Video - North Kloden Supply Base

New Personnel Files

Prince Maximilian

General Bles

General Jaeger

General Gregor

Hans

Updated Personnel Files

Alicia Melchiott

Faldio Landzaat

Lynn

The extra action doesn't refill Lynn's AP, so you want to put her where she can score multiple kills without having to move. Kind of like the opposite of a sniper.

Nancy Dufour

Jann Walker

Nadine

Coby got Play Of The Game, but no new potential. Emile and Juno haven't quite made the cut yet either.

New Weaponry Files

Medium Tank

Lupus

You have to actually destroy Radi Jaeger's tank to get its file. That also changes the mission ending a bit. More on that later.

New Glossary Files

The Kloden Wildwood

The Citadel at Ghirlandaio

The Imperial Army

Porcavians

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 10, 2016

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012
Now that the official in-game explanation for Evasion is out of the way, a bit of a note. Evasion and Accuracy are stats like all the others. There's Orders to buff them and everything. The main difference is that these ones are hidden - nothing in-game will tell you about the individual values each soldier has for those even though they do have individual values for them. Alicia has a notably higher Evasion than most other soldiers, though Scouts are pretty dodgy in general.

I'm frankly not entirely sure what to think about that decision. There's something to be said for not having all the information on the character sheet - this way, soldiers can surprise you with their usefulness despite being otherwise poor on paper. In practice, though, the developers apparently picked favorites and the soldiers with the best potentials are frequently also the ones with the best hidden stats.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I honestly can't wait for the other Engineers to get used, so everyone can see what I meant about how they're plagued with terrible Potentials. I forgot how bad Karl is, he's really only useful for getting Lynn. Nadine, Dallas, and the hidden one are the only really solid ones, and Dallas isn't even that good. Nadine, however, is fantastic. Rear Guard's buff is pretty large, and lets her punch well above her weight class. If you get headshots, she can take out shocktroopers.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

Something I always wondered when I played this game. I know that if your units get knocked out if you run another unit into they're saved. Conversely if an enemy runs into a downed unit then they're dead forever. Running over downed enemies makes them vanish too. Does this actually ever matter? Like can the enemy resuscitate and redeploy their units?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I've never seen it. Enemy reinforcements are always scripted--either a one-time event like in East Vasel, or something the AI will do every phase as long as it has camps to work with.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Video - A Desert Encounter, Part 1

Squad 7 finally receives some intelligence, but Rosie misses out. Dang old Imperians.

New Recruits

Kevin Abbott, Shocktrooper

Metal Head: The smell of iron clears the head, leading to a boost in attack power.
Claustrophobic: Tight spaces like trenches create a suffocating feeling, leading to a drop in attack power.

Nils Daerden, Lancer

City Kid: Standing on paved roads reminds them of the city, making them feel right at home and upping their defense.
Lone Wolf: Having allies nearby is a distraction that causes a drop in evasion ability.
Camp Defender: Bent on protecting the camp by sheer force of will, they naturally become better at evading attacks.
Stand Ready: Defense receives a boost when they enter the range of enemy interception fire.

New Writing on the Wall

Lucky 7's Cut Off Supply Base

Militia Issues Draft Notices

Ms. Ellet happened to have a new report, which takes place right between Chapters 5 and 6.

Video - A Taste of Home

Make bread, not war.

Updated Personnel File

Hans

The Edelweiss is already running out of add-on space. I just can't shove any more parts into that engine compartment.

For this next mission, I'll get every soldier class leveled up to 7.

Rosie, Coby, and Edy gain Undodgeable Shot: Attacks have a set probability of being impossible for enemies to evade.
Alex, Salinas, Lynn, and Aisha gain Ambush Spotter: Enemy units in hiding can be spotted from the same distance as a scout.
Kevin, Wendy, and Dorothy gain Kamikaze: Both accuracy and evasion receive a boost when HP drops to a single digit.
Mica, Jane, and Nina gain Fearless Will: Attack power and defense increase when they enter the range of enemy interception fire.

Lancer level 7 gives you another of the most important orders in the game. With Damage Boost in effect, non-lancer classes can kill a tank by shooting out its engine. So your reward for leveling up your lancers is that they become a lot less useful.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Nov 20, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Here's where the game starts to get challenging.

This operation will take place in arid desert. Initial approach to the enemy's forward camp is over broken terrain, heavily defended by infantry. Imperial snipers have clear lines of fire almost the whole way through. From there, Squad 7 must traverse an open killing field with no cover and multiple tanks to reach the enemy base camp.

Nancy, Juno, Alex, Coby, Lynn, Jann, Nadine, and Emile are on leave. Choose eight soldiers.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Kevin is pretty meh, nothing special about him. Nils, as a character, is everything Theold is trying so be, that is, a badass gangster who doesn't take poo poo from anyone. Gameplay-wise, he's one of the better lancers, and makes for a pretty good secondary Lancer while you're waiting to unlock the hidden Lancer, or for Jann to finally show up in the roster.

And for the record, I'll mention again that Salinas can engine-kill tanks without Damage Boost, just by activating Tank Lover (though that does mean he has to get kinda close to the tank.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
started reading for the title, stayed for the quality. Let's have an 'exposure therapy' party, all available Darcsen and their haters, plus the desert allergic.

Wavy, Theold, Rosina, Dallas, Aisha, Salinas, Rosie, Largo.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Really Pants posted:

Wendy Cheslock

I remember when I first read her updated profile, and was thinking "Oh, cool, she probably gets an extra grenade or something because she throws her hatbomb at them"

Nope! It's a negative slapped onto a character who already only gets three personal traits total. Boooooo. Goddamn travesty, I tell you what.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I bought this as soon as it came to PC and I have not really played it yet. I hope to finally get around to it sometime this fall.

Also I originally got my vita to play the psp one (I never got a psp) but is that one worth it? I read part of an lp of it that made it seem like it's not nearly as good as this one.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but I'm voting to have Jane in the lineup again; the sooner we have all her Potentials the better.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I bought this game yesterday for my PS4, since I've been interested in playing it for quite a while now only to find out that I apparently had bought it on Steam without even remembering it. So, good for the developers, I guess.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but I'm voting to have Jane in the lineup again; the sooner we have all her Potentials the better.

Sadist was already unlocked. Soldier Potentials are tied to class level, not personal performance. I mean, Jane's still great to use, but because there's only the one small thing tied to actually using each soldier, there's no real penalty for using a lot of different soldiers from one mission to another.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

EclecticTastes posted:

Sadist was already unlocked. Soldier Potentials are tied to class level, not personal performance. I mean, Jane's still great to use, but because there's only the one small thing tied to actually using each soldier, there's no real penalty for using a lot of different soldiers from one mission to another.

I am finding out I knew so little about VC :downs:

In that case, I'm changing my vote(s) to Nina, Edy,, Montley, Freesia, Walter, Theold, Herbert and Catherine.

Bellophon
Sep 26, 2012
My vote's going to be for Aika, and the other slots can be filled with whoever.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

Unless you're not using Rosie and Largo, that's a massive penalty.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is not wrong to want Jane on the map as much as possible. Her ability to chew through everything the enemy throws at you is just insane (even tanks with the right orders/positioning)

On a more general note it is nice to see someone do an lp for the game where you are actually trying to engage with it and not speedrun it. The only time I got an A ranking my first time through the game was on a certain map that is coming up where things go very badly for you if you do not fight with peak efficiency.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Montley, Aika, Edy, Nina, Rosina, Theold, Herbert, and Catherine will investigate the Empire's activity in Barious.

Video - Barious Desert

Updated Personnel Files

Isara Gunther

Kreis Czerny

Leon Schmidt

Montley Leonard

Herbert Nielsen

Gen. Gregor

New Glossary File

The Barious Desert

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I don't know, I love the ability to scout rush.

VC breaks from most strategy games by making it possible to have multiple moves per round by a single unit. They tried to balance this in a number of ways; by having automatic crossfire, by having reduced range for each subsequent activation, by limiting ammo for more powerful weapons, and by having the units have pathetic throwing arms where they can barely chuck a grenade a single body length, which means you better have someone else nearby to clean up.

Unfortunately for the design, scouts break this system. They can move further on their second move then most classes can on their first, they can dodge or circumvent crossfire, and for any enemy except a stormtrooper they can run straight up and shoot them right in the face for instant death. They've even the class that gets a fix for the grenade range problem.

In practice, this means most maps can be solved by having the scout circle around stormtroopers (or have the sniper take them out), chuck a grenade to nudge people away from the camp, and capture the flag. Lancers are good for clearing tanks if you can be bothered to get close enough, snipers are good for taking out pesky stormtroopers, but in a battle it's the flanking scouts that poke the enemy in their vulnerables and forces them to retreat - as it should be when you're playing the weaker force.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Reaching Chapter 7 in this playthrough unlocked a new Writing on the Wall report, but it actually takes place between Chapters 4 and 5.

We're finally starting to get reports with attached bonus missions, although this one is fairly short. The main wrinkle is that you're given no orders, no camps, no battle tanks...not a single luxury. Deployment is also extremely limited: only Welkin, Largo, and one other soldier. Since support is at a premium here, I'll skip the nominations and give the third slot to veteran engineer Nadine.

Video - Largo's Passion

The true story of how Welkin's zeal for a furious pickle wrangling earned Largo's admiration.

Updated Personnel File

Largo Potter

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 22, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Video - The Battle at Barious, Part 1

Five-shadowing.

New Recruits

Hermes Kissinger, Scout

Meadow Bred: Standing in a grassy field helps them relax, enhancing their defense.
Fancies Women: Having women around makes them want to look good, making them shoot with greater accuracy.
Claustrophobic: Tight spaces like trenches create a suffocating feeling, leading to a drop in attack power.
Stealth: Defenses are strengthened when in hiding.
First Aid Boost: The healing powers of Ragnaid (S) are occasionally increased.

Melville Young, Scout

Desert Allergy: An allergy to dust and sand leads to a steady drain of HP while in a sandy area.
Chatty Cathy: Whenever a close friend is nearby, they just can't help but chitchat, a distraction that lowers their accuracy.
Trooper Killer: Confidence that they can best any shocktrooper grants a boost in attack abilities.
Evasion Boost: They have a set probability of enjoying enhanced evasion abilities.
First Aid Boost: The healing powers of Ragnaid (S) are occasionally increased.

New Writing on the Wall

Imperial Shadow Hits Barious

Gallia-Federation Talks Begin

New Special Order

Retreat allows you to instantly yank a soldier back into your reserves from anywhere on the map. Handy for moving units long distances or pulling them out of imminent trouble when they're not near any of your camps.

I was a bit worried that installing the Periscope would make all my add-ons disappear, but luckily not.

Hang on a second...This is all wrong.

Much better.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 20, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If Squad 7 can eliminate Prince Maximilian twelve chapters early, we'll make it home in time for the game.

Maximilian's tank is so huge that our troops can't possibly miss. Victory is assured.

This operation will take place on desert terrain. Montley, Aika, Edy, Nina, Rosina, Theold, Herbert, and Catherine are on leave. Choose eight soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Rosie, Salinas, Lynn, Aisha, Melville, Wavy, Dallas, Nadine.

Time for the Darcsens to explode something huge at Barious.

• Locked thread