Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

YOH HOHO! It's about half a week past calibration here in Bluehaven, the greatest pirate city in the world, and the crew of the good ship The Emancipater has finally sobered up enough to stagger onboard, solar circle included. Your last haul was well before calibration, and it's been a week of non-stop partying for most of the crew during it. Counting up your remaining loot, it seems you've just over a month of food, pay and rum left - Time for you to find some more work, it seems. Luckily, you've all heard a few rumors about oppotunities and possibilities for where to go and what to do.

The Sparrow who Rode the Storm to Freedom, you've got a message from your Auntie - and it's a doozy. There's an absolutely *loaded* treasure ship that'll be passing through the waters between ang-teng and bluehaven. It's an imperial tax collector, and protected by at least five imperial war tiremes, probably at least 10 or so support ships - most of them staffed by at least a few terrestial exalts. That's probably more than you can handle in a straight battle, but they won't pass through the waters around here for at least a month - enough for a rather elaborate ambush, if you decide to set one up. As for the loot itself? From what you've heard, it's supposed to be somewhere between 50 and a 100 talents, measured in jade, or about 250-500 talents of silver. That... would be a ridiculous amount - easily matching the treasuries of a major city state at least, or several minor ones, and enough to hire and field an army for a year. Even assuming that's wildly overblown, half of the lowest part of that range is enough to match a powerful king in personal wealth - for a while, at least. It's also an incredibly risky job, but the rewards may very well be worth it. If you keep it, you could start a nation, or a fleet of pirates. If you return it to the kingdoms it was stolen from, you'll have several incredibly grateful kings and other leaders on your side.

Jiggins you caught up with some old acquaintances the other day, and they had *juicy* news for you. Golden Wave, a powerful and influential god of trade, has been blacklisted by the guild, when it'd been discovered that he'd been sabotaging slavers when he could and subverting his agreements with the guild - there's a substantial bounty on his head for that, 12 talents of silver, a year's pay for a wealthy guild tradesman. and a signle large favor from the Guild. He's got friends on his side, too, however, and if you help him out you might significantly disturb the balance of trade in the region - as well as likely cripple slave trading for years to come, or more, if you can capitalize on the oppotunity. As a god of trade, golden wave can also grease your palms significantly.

Alera "Dragon's breath" Zutann So, you were our drinking with the god you've befriended the other day, and while drunk they handed you two wierd things - a map, and a compass with 6 arrows, one more than usual. "Hee...Heere's a first age tomb," he'd said, half-drunken. "There's a treasure burried here! an ancient creature, trapped for eons, able to grant almost any wish, and bound to help whoever frees it! And there's all sorts of treasure too! you're a *hic* pirate right? go dig it up!" Well, you've never seen the place on the map, and it's written in some dialect of first age, but you've never known the god to be wrong about this sort of thing, or deceptive. And the 6th arrow does seem to be pointing towards the same way all the time. And... it's an adventure, isn't it? You just wonder who else he might've told about it.... he was in a very friendly mood all calibration.

Anton McMartin, The signs are undeniable: Something stirs from its slumber. Something wakes. Something seeks to walk upon the world again. Something of ancient and primal knowledge, and quite likely of ancient artifacts and wealth. By your calculation based on the stars and the bones you've thrown and birds you've seen, it will rise at an island about 700 miles south of here, t the very edge of the bluehaven/aang-teng chain of islands. Who knows what calimity may arise if you ignore this?

Praxa Zlin You've got word lately from Lakara - something's happening. out west, halfway between here and the caul, an old first age ruin has been found - a temple, housing the tombs of solar god-kings.... and their contracts with the various storm deities and their tribes and families. This... this will almost certainly upset the balance of power between the storm mothers and the local storm gods, as well as hold numerous storm-related artifacts. But if you, as solars, get access to this... Well... Well, you'd hold ancient contracts with storm and wind, drafted by god-kings of ages past. you may well be able to force them to do your will with such tablets and laws in hand. to become kings of the storm and their gods - marking you as a power to be reckoned with almost instantaneously.

The tiger who roars his defiance You've hard something else. one one of the isles off of aang-teng, there's a slave-revolt going in a slaver city state. They've promised any adventurer who helps them whatever they want from the treasury, especially if they block the reinforcements comming in from other city states to aid the defense of the city. There's certainly a big reward there, but more than that, you'll earn yourself a definite reputation, and have thousands of slaves from their fate, and gain a very loyal alley.

Okay everyone! you've just gathered and put everything here on the table. Tell me the stangest thing that happened to your charecter during calibration and then discuss what you want to do. As gorebash is the captain, they will ultimately be the deciding factor, but i want you to work together. that there's a deciding vote is just so you don't debate forever without doing anything, a problem i've had before. What you choose here will also influence the sort of adventures you'll be getting later, though it's not like you can't revisit stuff from the other options later, or at least similar things.

YO HO YO HO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Sparrow

Sparrow keeps part of the main cabin set aside as a conference room, and at the moment she's standing at the head of a table with charts spread out over it. She looks annoyingly fresh, even for one of the Chosen, at this relatively early hour. Sparrow's daiklave is leaned against the table, the many adornments of her outfit jingling a bit as she unrolls one more map.

She slides a few markers onto the chart of the local waters - a cowrie shell for the taxman's ship, six obols for the triremes, a smattering of dinars leavened with yen for the support ships, the silver how many she's sure of and the copper for the possible.

"A month," she tells the others. "One month to prepare, and we could take the greatest prize the West has seen in half an age." Sparrow has shown them Auntie's letter, and opportunity it represents. "We have time to gather our strength. If we use it wisely, we can take them."

"But it will be a great risk, and may leave us beholden to others in the doing. What say you?"

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Anton McMartin

Anton sat, hunched in the shadiest corner of the cabin he had managed to find, elbows on the table and hands steepled over a bowl of water with a rune-encircled brim. He is staring at it intently. Or that is the feeling you get at least, since his face is hidden by the downward slant of his hat. He sat in silence, even quieting his usual mutterings as the captain spoke. You are not entirely sure if this is out of respect, or for some other reason. Be it as it may, he was the first to respond after the captain was finished.

"Isn't that so very much like you, little bird", he intoned in a slow, measured snarl, all the while removing a small flask filled with a deep purple liquid from his belt, "chasing impossible treasures and flights of fancy. Risking all we have for naught but the most banal of fortunes." He drops a single droplet of from the bottle into the bowl with a measured hand, the solution coloring the contents of the bowl the shade of the night sky.

"There are greater things afoot here. The bottoms stir. Ancient horrors wake. Of potency I know not of but that must be fell indeed." He draws a needle, and stabs the tip of his left index finger. A single, solitary drop of blood can be seen hanging on the tip of the finger for second, until it too joins the bowl, dissipating into the solution. With an idle hand, Anton starts stirring the bowl. "I have listened to the bones and the winds and read the weave of fate. I know this to be so. And I know where, as well."

As Anton removes the little stick he was using to stir the bowl, the contents settle, the blood floating on the top, forming the map of Bluehaven and the Aang-Teng islands. Well, most of it anyway. Some of it can be seen under the surface, forming rising tendrils that grasp skywards. Reading the bowlmap, that particular area is somewhere about 700 miles south of the ship's current location.

"The treasures and knowledge such a being could hold would be a better fit for the likes of us. More appropriate than raiding some taxman, at least."

Theantero fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 31, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Alara "Dragon's Breath" Zutann

The transcendant Dragon's Breath has been turning around all about the conference room with her newfound compass, checking that sixth arrow. "Look, it's pointing in the same direction! It's like it's begging us to take this treasure! Listen, Sparrow, have my drinking buddies ever led us astray before?"

A beat as the beautiful Dragon's Breath ponders the past.

"Well...besides the time we were accosted by highwaymen in those ruins."

"And the diamond that turned out to be made of glass."

"And the whirlpools in that strait. But that was only three times!"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sparrow

"The only other time I remember your drinking buddies led us anywhere was that Southron restaurant - and the less said of that the better." Despite her words, Sparrow leans over to examine the compass. "But none of them something like this to back up their claims either."

jetnerd
Aug 13, 2016
Jiggins

Slightly hungover, and having a bit of trouble sleeping Jiggins found his way to the conference room and stood in the doorway to survey the scene. Absentmindedly he stroked the feathers of his crane who stood behind him in the hall preening herself, while with his other hand he procured his fan and began to lazily wave it back and forth. Watching the short exchange between Sparrow and he decided to share his news with the Solars gathered,

"Everyone, I think I have found us an endeavor that is worthy of our time. My friends that remain connected to the Guild tell me that a very influential god of trade has made it onto their blacklist, the Guild's that is. He's been disrupting their slave trade covertly for some time and the news has just come to light. They've put a high price on his head, and seem to want him stopped quickly." Closing his fan, Jiggins begins to stand a little straighter and his tone grows firmer, "If we were to help Golden Wave, it would leave us in a very beneficial position, allied to a god of trade. We would be disrupting the trade of slaves for years to come, and using him as our inroad we could capitalize on the turmoil it brings."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The Tiger Who Roars His Defiance

The Tiger glanced between the others, before nodding towards Jiggins as he idly stroked the hilt of his blade, never far from his side.

"There's a slave revolt going off aang-teng I've heard about. Of course, I want to help them. Isn't that why we were Chosen? And, well, they've promised whatever we want from the city's treasury, if the ideal of living up to our destiny isn't enough for you. But, sifu always says one should think when they have time to do so, and act when the time has ended, so I'm starting to think. Sparrow...you said a month, right? And we'd need to prepare. But how do we prepare to attack something like this? No, we'll need more then just ourselves. We'd need an army. Maybe one of former slaves? And Jiggins, this god hates slavery, right? So..."

The Tiger stares down at the map.

"...How long would it take, do you think, to solve matters with this god of trade? If we get his help, we can use that in the slave revolt. And if we have time, that monster Grumpy over here is muttering about isn't far from aang-teng either. So...how much can we accomplish in a month?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Praxa Zlin

Praxa Zlin broods. "This would be easier if all the options were not so promising. We have the opportunity to gain treasure enough to fund a nation, to unearth secrets of the First Age, to aid a god persecuted by the guild, to help slaves gain their freedom, or to investigate what may be an ancient awakened evil. These are all worthy causes, and none of them unworthy of our attention. If I may, though, I should explain how the plan I brought to the table may benefit us." He steeples his fingers. "In the First Age, when the Solars ruled creation as God-Kings, they made themselves masters of all things in the air and on the earth and under the waves, and they bound the gods to contracts and service, ensuring they would fulfill their duties. But then, when the Solar Empire was lost, the gods became lax, and came to care more for themselves than for creation. Now Lakara gives me word that, should we find these tombs and uncover these contracts, we may be able to make the gods of the storm and the see once again do what they have promised. These contracts are a thing above mere wealth. They're priceless. With them, in addition to the benefits and the knowledge we can gain for ourselves, we can act to help bring Creation back in balance; to restore the natural order of things and thereby help perfect the world."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Praxa Zlin

"Well, now that we've all given our reasons as to why our pet projects are the only worthwhile one, and everyone else's plans are foolish, we no doubt need to come to a decision, rather than everyone sticking to their original. My first choice is still to unearth the Solar Tombs and find the First Age Contracts, but if we don't do that, well, we're not likely to see the likes of that treasure fleet come our way again, and we can have a good time with all that money, and maybe even do some good. Buy our own country, even.. And, no doubt the Empire won't miss it too badly." He grins.

"If we're committed to altruism, though, we'd do worse than to try to rescue the trade god. Anyone who sticks their thumb in the eye of the Guild is my friend, and it doesn't hurt to have a god on your side. Helping the slave revolt, well." He goes silent for a second. "i can't help but find myself in sympathy with them, but even with our help, I'm afraid they're doomed. Even if by some chance, we help them fight off the armies attacking them now, they won't stop. A city run by slaves will be made the target of every country out there who keeps slaves themselves. They have to be brought down, lest their slaves get the same idea. I'm not saying not to help. We can maybe save some of them from their fate, but in the long run, they're doomed."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alera "Dragon's Breath" Zutann

"I'm fine with whatever as long as it's cool. Though check out this compass! Eh?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

"Whatever we do, it must help others. There is no purpose to our power otherwise."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

As an OOC question, is there any hook anyone really doesn't want to do?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Anton McMartin

Anton grunted irately from under the brim of his hat. You get the distinct impression that he won't be particularly happy regardless of the choice taken. That's just how Ol' McMartin is.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

OOC: Nah, everything is fine with me.

jetnerd
Aug 13, 2016
Jiggins eyes the bowl on the table with skepticism, "I don't really feel comfortable chasing after might-be's and maybes when there are concrete things we could be doing. Both the, erm, map in that bowl, and the treasure that compass leads to are the least solid things in my opinion. I still say we go and help out Golden Wave or at least help out with the slave revolt, both if we can. If none of those sound good, a long term plan for a treasure heist isn't a bad option either."

Turning to Sparrow he asks, "Do you think we could plan the ambush and help out Golden Wave, with his help we might be able to aid the slave revolt without personal intervention. Also, Tiger is right, how will we muster the forces for this ambush in our current state?"

After pausing to think a moment Jiggins addresses Praxa, "I am not sure what I think of your plan, it seems promising from the way you speak about it, but I know little of these matters. My main concern is I don't know where to begin calculating our potential for success if we pursue it, and I have no real idea of how much time it might take. If we can topple more than one of these things that's the route I'd like to support."

Comrade Gorbash posted:

OOC: I'm fine with all of them.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sparrow

Sparrow taps the chart table with one finger, then nods. "The very name of our ship should guide us. We should aid the slaves in their revolt. It may be that we can gather enough allies in that for the raid on the tax ship. If not, at least we will have done the right thing."

"Any objections? If the Circle feels strongly about another course, we should consider it."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Praxa Zlin

"It's a doomed quest to help a slave revolt, and it'll likely die aborning, but very well. if the rest of you are convinced of this, I won't oppose."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Wouldn't be my first time doing it!"

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

You decide your course of action, and set out!
The crew gets working fast. They may be drunken, undisciplined louts, but this is the shipnof the sparrrow who rode the storm to freedom, and it is her crew. Under her skillfull hand, they wrk quickly and edficientky, and soon you are on the open sea, away from the stench and sickly air of bluehaven. There is a brisk wind, and if all goes as it should, you would be there in less than a week. The first day here, out at sew again, is mostly spent cathing up with what the rest of the crew did during calibration, nursing hangovers, and gettijng back into the swing of it. The mood is good, and come evening, music, gambling and light drinking is the name of the game.
Come morning, you're out of sight of any large islands, and navigate by recogmizing the smaller islands you pass, and by 5-needled compass, of course. The day continues much as before, but with less grumbling about hangovers. A light rain passes over you around noon, but nothingb else.... until a few hours later, when in the span of less than a minute, the wind dies from a good, brisk tradewind to nothing- and no appreciable current, either.

Complete doldrum, out of nowhere. In the distance, you see a mist slooooowly drifting towards you. This is beyond strange, and almost certainly a result of some supernatural action.

What do you do?

I want you to do two things:1, describe what you did during most of tghe first day of travel, including at least one crewmember you interacted with if possible, and how you spent the evening. 2. Whatever you are goingb to do about weird sudden doldrum and suspicious mist in thhe distance.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

so,ething I forgot to say: I am leaving stunt judgements up to you. you can always always just claim a minir stunts. Generally, you can claim a major one once or twice per scene and a revoking one once or twice per sdventure, but thats just a guideline.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Anton McMartin

Anton is not a pleasant person to be around of at the best of times, unless the person in question also happens to enjoy the depths of macabre arcane esoteria. Nevertheless, a ship is the sort of locale where close encounters are inevitable, regardless if Anton would profess he'd rather go cabin crazy than talk to some of the people he was around. For example, could you believe that Jiggins? Casting doubt into his abilities right there in front of everyone, calling the mostt sublime of divinations a 'might-be'. Bah! The nerve! What would a common thief know of the intricacies of the weave of fate? Hrmph. But be as it may, even he had to eat. But he would eat on his own terms, as the poor chef would learn. For as he was in the business of starting to prepare the day's lunch, a snarl could be heard from the corner of the dimly lit kitchen.

"No salted trout today. The proper alignment of the chakras demands it."

Now this was a lie. Anton had just grown particularly weary of that dish after having had it served for three days in a row. Of course, the chef did not know that. All he knew was that Ol' McMartin's magics, even if often strange and absurd, were impeccable enough that going against his wishes might not have been the best of ideas.

So impeccable in fact, that Anton could not help but eye the slowly approaching mist with the cocked eyebrow of someone not particularly impressed.

"Though the winds of magic may carry the mist towards us and perhaps constitute a part of its nature, I doubt the involvement of sorcery." He picked a small, red stone from his pocket, tethered into the inside with a delicate silver chain. He appraised it for a second before tucking it back in. "The mist seems closer than ten miles distant. My wards inform me of dangerous sorceries, yet on this cloud they are mute."

Without so much as asking, Anton grabbed a spyglass from a nearby sailor, taking a look at the approaching mist, before handing it back and storming off to his quarters mumbling something indecipherable under his breath, the telltale darkish-green mist of his anima starting to trail behind him as he walked by.

Rolling Lore + Int + lvl 1 Stunt + 9 excellency motes to identify the nature of this mist: 21d10: 7 5 5 4 7 4 8 10 2 4 2 5 5 4 7 3 9 2 5 2 6 -> 7 Successes

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Anton McMartin,
You examine the mist through the spy-glass and as your eussence bleeds into your anima and rises around you, your mind recalls a hundred different facts andpieces of arcane lore. Quicly, it falls into place, and you identify what is causing the mist. It's wave-dancers. They are waterelementls that form giant groups and dance across the sea. Whenevern they meet someone, like a ship, they invitenthem to dance, and those that join them find that they can dance upon the waves in their company.
However, a great many of their dance partners loose themselves in the dance, and when they inevitably loose the strength to go on, they are far from shore, and as their feet fail them they fall bemeath the waves and drown. Their ghosts, however, rise to join the dancers again, and this is the reason they shroud themselves in mist - to protect the ghosts with them from the sun. This is also why they still the wind ahead of them - so that ir does not disperse the mists.
You are unaware of any particular combat abilities, but they are probably better than most people, but less skilled than professional soldiers - if it came to that. They are not known to be actively malevolent, just ignorant of human needs.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sparrow

As they set sail, Sparrow swung over the side and trailed a hand in the water, sensing the course of wind and wave, learning of what storms might await them on their course.

This done, she spent most of the day managing the crew and charting their course. Her Exalted abilities serve her in good stead aboard ship - her superhuman balance and grace let her work in the rigging with a confidence and daring that is something to see. While she's up there, she consults with Big Nose Fuun, chief of the riggers. Fuun had to bring on two new hands to replace the usual attrition to injury and age, and had also expressed some concern about the status of some of the lines.

Fuun is a worrier by nature, but Sparrow knows better than to dismiss her concerns out of hand, so the two inspect all the lines personally. A few need to be replaced, but no more than normal. No sooner was this done than the wind slackened unexpectedly.

Concerned, Sparrow slid down one of the rat lines to drop lightly next to Anton, shading her eyes with one hand as she gazes out alongside him. "What did we happen upon this time? Is it what stole our wind, Anton?"

I'm going to use Weather-Anticipating Intuition to forecast the weather on our course for the next ten hours. That costs 5m.

I'm also planning on using Safe Bearing Technique to navigate the hazard, which grants me two bonus dice to navigate hazards, if I can roll for that. It'll cost 2m when I roll it.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Praxa Zlin

The sorcerer stands on deck and looks at the cloud of elementals. And it had been such a NICE day too. He had spent the morning repairing rigging alongside a fellow crewman, a man named Gunther One-eye. Gunther One-eye actually had two eyes, so the significance of the name escaped him at first. Gunther's explanation was...enlightening, to say the least. Still, he considered it a good way to pass a morning, and on a boat, rigging repair was a full time job. The conversation, after that, had mainly turned to Gunther's comparison of ports, and more notably, taverns in such ports, and Praxa learned a number of useful things about which bars watered their beers too much, why it was a bad idea to eat the nuts in the Dog's Head in Bluehaven, and how best to bribe the guards of An-Teng. All in all, an enlightening morning. After a disappointing lunch (the cook didn't serve salted trout, which was a shame, because salted trout would have helped restore the proper alignment of the chakras), he came on deck to, well, this.

After hearing from Anton what they were facing, he thinks for a second and says, "Water elementals don't think the same way that human beings do, but most elementals have at least some intelligence and can be talked to. I plan to go over there and convince them to leave us alone. Anyone want to come with me? I have a spell that can carry two of us, but if more are coming, it's best we take the rowboat. It just will mean some rowing."

Then, he prepares himself for facing the creatures. Focusing energy through him, he channels it into his persuasive powers. As he does so, he feels the light around him welling up, the force too powerful to contain.

Spending 7 peripheral motes to activate the charm "Harmonious Presence Mediation", for an indefinite period. Anima flare

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Tiger, perhaps surprisingly, didn't spend all his time around his sifu. Instead, he had gotten downright chummy with one of the other sailers, a former pirate and native of Blue Haven named Miya, who had a reputation for being a storyteller. Well, ok, she had a reputation for being a braggart and a gods awful liar. Tiger, of course, didn't know any of this, and in his naivety eagerly listened wide eyed, devouring all of her patiently fake stories. For her part, Miya was both ecstatic and terrified that she had found someone who actually listened to her.

When the mists had arrived, he put his hand on the hilt of his sword, a habit he had developed and did at times when there was no immediate threat; instantly he could feel Adorei's welcome presence. When the identity of the mist came about, he eagerly raised his hand to volunteer.

"I'll go, in case you need a sword. But also...well. Given who we are, perhaps we could try out-dancing them? Has it ever been done? It doesn't matter - we should absolutely try doing it."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Anton McMartin

ProfessorCirno posted:

Given who we are, perhaps we could try out-dancing them? Has it ever been done? It doesn't matter - we should absolutely try doing it."

Anton has apparently removed himself from his chambers, a fact that becomes apparent as the loremaster lightly slaps Tiger on the back of the head. "Bah! Of course it has been tried before, or did you truly think yourself so clever as to be the first to think of such an obvious plan? Hmph. Indeed, there are documents extensively detailing encounters with them."

Anton rubs his stubbly chin before continuing. "Indeed, if challenged and beaten, they usually listen to a request made. However, they are fairly adept at what they do, for dancing is the driver of their essence, yes. To gain advantage, know this: They are creatures of the sea. Even though their movements are deft and fluid, their ears have long since grown bored of the winds and the waves that are their only aural companion. Thus, instrumental musics of all kinds bring them great joy and are a way to gain their appreciation, for they are rarely blessed with such novelty."

Anton stares at the others a bit and sneers. "I shall retreat to my chambers. The spirits approach us with the pace of their dancing steps, yet four, perhaps five hours distant. We shall rest and recuperate our essence before approaching."

Rolling Lore + Int + lvl 1 Stunt + Lore-Inducing Concentration (3m) + 6 excellency motes to Introduce a fact: 18d10: -> 4 Successes

Rerolling sixes due to Lore-Inducing Concentration : 2d10: -> 0 Successes

Lore-Inducing Concentration gives me one automatic success.

Total Successes: 5

As per GM consultation: Harmonious Academic Methodology lets me add 'Elementals' as a known lore topic for succeeding here.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 10, 2016

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Praxa Zlin

"Yes, well, alternatively, we could stay here and wait for them to come to us, I suppose.", he says, looking at Anton.

jetnerd
Aug 13, 2016
Jiggins

Having spent most of the morning following around crew members and making small talk offering assistance, Jiggins finds himself below deck when he feels the motion of the ship slowing and makes his way to the top to check things out. He emerges from below to witness the large misty cloud on the horizon and catches the end of the conversation between Anton and Tiger.

Theantero posted:

Anton McMartin

"Indeed, if challenged and beaten, they usually listen to a request made. However, they are fairly adept at what they do, for dancing is the driver of their essence, yes.

Swaggering over to stand near Anton, "Well, I don't know about you guys, but I'm no stranger when it comes to dancing. Between Tiger here and myself do you think we have the skills to take on that cloud of...what were they? Water spirits?"

Making his way to the side of the ship, Jiggins leans against the rail and stares out into the somewhat ominous midday mists. Behind him his crane makes its way from belowdecks to his side and stands alert, staring into the center of the mists. "These guys really know how to ruin a good day at sea, eh Flyg?" he says, looking down at the bird, "I know what'll make this better, how about you go down to the galley and grab us some type of snack?". The crane stares back for a moment before complying, stalking down the companionway and out of sight.

jetnerd fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 11, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Anton McMartin

Epicurius posted:

Praxa Zlin

"Yes, well, alternatively, we could stay here and wait for them to come to us, I suppose.", he says, looking at Anton.

"Hrm, certainly", Anton answered, his tone noticeably more cordial when addressing someone else knowledgeable in the ways of magic, "But realize they are elemental spirits. Mischievous, even if not malevolent entities. Allowing them stay near our vessel is likely to end up with things missing or broken, and an annoyed crew. At the very least."

He turned to face Praxa, "It is thus a question: do we risk greater harm to ourselves in order to keep our ship pristine? Or do we feel such too much of a gamble? Perhaps this is an issue for our good captain to solve."

jetnerd posted:

Jiggins

Swaggering over to stand near Anton, "Well, I don't know about you guys, but I'm no stranger when it comes to dancing. Between Tiger here and myself do you think we have the skills to take on that cloud of...what were they? Water spirits?"

"Wave-dancers", Anton corrects irately, "And if you wish to take on their challenge, feel free. I shall accompany you nevertheless, for I have my own dealings with them I wish to conduct."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Praxa Zlin

"It's also a matter of speed. These creatures are distraction, not our main goal, and the longer we take to deal with them, the later we will be to help defend the city. If we can avoid them, we might be wise to. Alternately, we deal with these as quickly as we can and resume our mission. We can play with elementals when we have more time."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I spent most of the first day of travel practicing my technique with...well on, one of the swabbies, and spent my night with my personal stash of booze. Nursing a bit of a headache is why I've stayed quiet for now. "Whatever gets us going quicker is what we should go with. I can take any sort of spirit on with my wands!"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

"Right! We'll have an all out assault on them, then! A non-violent one! We'll knock them off their core with music and dazzle them with dance until they're done - and for our request, perhaps we could have them speed up this voyage? Jiggins and I will take care of the music and the dancing! Anton will probably just stand there and scowl at the idea of people enjoying themselves and doing good deeds. And supply transportation."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sparrow

Sparrow eyes the mist in the distance, then turns to the others. "If nothing else, we cannot wait for them to come to us. I'm for taking a boat out to meet them, whether its to dance or fight. It's that or tow the ship free of this calm. Unless someone else has another course?"

Assuming no one does, Sparrow gives orders to have two boats readied. One to take the Circle out to face the wave dancers, the other to tow the ship free if they should fail.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Praxa Zlin

"I'm no dancer, but I'll confront the creatures. Perhaps soft words may turn them away", the sorcerer says, and gets in the boat to face the wave dancers.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

You put the rowboat in the water and Tiger and Sparrow row you quickly towards the oncoming mist.

You make good speed, and about 15 minutes in, or perhaps 20, you see movement in the mists, and as you come closer, the indistinct moving figures grow clear. Dancing men and women of incredible elegance and varying beauty. Their skin is blue, almost translucent, and the clothes are woven of mist and seafoam and fishsscale, and the ripple with the movement of the dancers and the waves.
Along with these elegant creatures are ghosts, dancing with each other and with the elementals. Many of them look like pirates and sailors, still dressed in the ragged remains of whatever they wore when the first stepped unto the sea with these dancers. Most of them seem entirely lost to the dance - their eyes are empty, but for the joy and passion of dancing. No intellect seems to remain. Only a few look like they might've retained their minds. You can tell by the looks of resigned boredom or ancient bitterness on their faces while they go through the motions of dance with no joy.
"Come!" say the elementals, as they dance around your boat. "Come dance with us!," they say, half-singing. Their voices are strange and melodious, and very charming, and their movement makes the dance look inviting and lovely. You all feel a faint longing - some stronger than others, perhaps - to join them in the dance, but whatever supernatural effect their voices have it is certainly not enough to compel you to do anything. Perhaps if you took their invitation, that longing would be harder to resist?

What do you do? They do not seem very interested in conversation that doesn't involve dancing somehow.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Doublepost, somehow. my bad.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Without hesitation, the Tiger leaps out to begin his own dance alongside them!

He perhaps should have hesitated.

It becomes immediately apparent that a lifetime spent in a small isolated village, learning swordplay, does not always translate well to proper dancing. People can talk all the want of "the dance of battle," but for now, he's mostly doing "the dance of some backwards yokel," all flailing limbs and wild gestures.

DANCE! DAAAAANCE!: 6d10x7 1

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sparrow

Sparrow ducks to avoid one of Tiger's flailing arms, then hops back to get out of reach of him. She looks around at the wave dancers, then takes a deep breath and joins in. If it comes to blades she has her daiklave, but even if his execution leaves a lot to desire, she still thinks Tiger has the right idea.

Fortunately, Sparrow's life as a sailor and natural agility give her a fair bit more grace than her companion.

Dance: 5d10x7 4
Dexterity only.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 25, 2016

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Praxa Zlin

This didn't really seem like a wise idea. He was no dancer, and this vaguely seemed to be beneath his dignity. Still, perhaps this was the mode of entry to talk to these creatures. At the least, it would put them in a proper mood.

I am going to dance
Dance: 7d10x7 4

jetnerd
Aug 13, 2016
Jiggins

Feeling the draw of the Wave-dancers' invitation Jiggins stands and with a flourish of his fans begins to dance, the crane beside him rising to perform the moves in tandem. Wings and fans flash outward, gracefully spinning and twirling in a series of carefully controlled steps.

Dancing: 10#1d10 4 7 2 6 10 4 5 6 4 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Most of you jump from the boat to dance. Your feet hit the waves, and however wobbly you might be on the shifting footing, the water does not give way to your weight or bend to your feet. Your natural solar excellency, your grace, and sure feet win out, and the wave dancers are obviously impressed with the swiftness of your feet and with your elegance upon the waves. They smile and clap and sing as you dance with them, and they follow your moves and your sway.
Out here, on the waves, dancing with the laughing, smiling and happy wave dancers, however, things change. The dance is refreshing, invigorating, and all around are smiling faces, laughing and cheering you on. It is difficult to doubt that all these creatures truly want is to dance, and their enthusiasm is infectious, and bouyed by a supernatural attraction to dancing that seems to surround them like a cloak. With them, it is all too easy to lose yourself in the dance as one step carried over into the next. And all around you, a whisper on the wind: Dance with us, dance with us.

You dance pretty well! your dancing gives you +1 to all social rolls for the rest of the interaction!
The dancers also try to Instill y'all with the intimacy "love of dancing." They need to beat your resolve to succeed. they have a minor (2 dice) stunt.
Instilling stuff: 9d10h7 1

As far as doing a propper dance contest, you'll have to actually challenge them first. You can try to do other social actions as well, but they'll only liste to and respond people who are dancing.

• Locked thread