Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Darth123123 posted:

That's cheap for a weeks vacation :shrug: most people spend 2k easy

At 15-20% APR and then spend the next 10 months paying it off, sure. Did you miss the bit where the Fed said over half the population is living paycheck to paycheck and unable to save poo poo?

Out of all the things in the burning man thread I really didn't expect to see 'Burning Man is cheap, actually.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
Partying in the party plane while tripping balls does sound fun tho

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moridin920 posted:

At 15-20% APR and then spend the next 10 months paying it off, sure. Did you miss the bit where the Fed said over half the population is living paycheck to paycheck and unable to save poo poo?

Out of all the things in the burning man thread I really didn't expect to see 'Burning Man is cheap, actually.'

It's disposable income people choose to spend on? If it isn't disposable, they have other issues.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

dookifex_maximus posted:

radical_self_reliance.jpeg

whoa this thing rules

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Isnt it burning person now

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

down n out posted:

gently caress that, it's not even a whole jet

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
Trust me, you don't want that bad boy completely enclosed around day 5

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

down n out posted:

Trust me, you don't want that bad boy completely enclosed around day 5

:nms:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Darth123123 posted:

Should I tell you how to save and spend?

can I help you? What is this

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
burning man was cool because i got to see stuff like this in person:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_Dance_Immolation

people who go there to have some kind of hedonism party are retarded

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

down n out posted:

Idgi, what's the point of a vehicle themed party if the vehicle doesn't actually move?

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

alone in the dark and scared always scared as hell
if you actually want to go, understand what the event really is and plan to participate in a meaningful way, tickets are $190. Of the 70,000 or so people at BM only a small fraction are hella rich, but that has always been the case :shrug:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

a cyberpunk goose posted:

can I help you? What is this

Sorry I was thinking you said lesser incomes shouldn't go. Misread my bad. They should totally go.

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

Novo posted:

burning man was cool because i got to see stuff like this in person:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_Dance_Immolation

I played Dance Dance Immolation in 2007 it was loving exhausting and terrifying :haw:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Novo posted:

whatever sounds like raves are the place to be instead then bitches

HONK HONK

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Is that a dust storm or a weed cloud on the stream right now

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Malaclypse posted:

if you actually want to go, understand what the event really is and plan to participate in a meaningful way, tickets are $190. Of the 70,000 or so people at BM only a small fraction are hella rich, but that has always been the case :shrug:

Hmmm I got quoted 390. I guess an able bodied person can buy the $1000 ticket and piss and poo poo on themselves and then the people who pay less have to wipe you down and stuff. I mean who wouldn't sign the thing that says they won't be a constantly exploding trashcan for the duration of the festival. :shrug:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Dreddout posted:

Idgi, what's the point of a vehicle themed party if the vehicle doesn't actually move?

You realize everyone onboard is high right? Most likely on hallucinogens? That poo poo never stops moving. Why waste money on fuel?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Are all the naked people at burning man ugly or is it like the Hedonism resorts where only attractive people are allowed in

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

down n out posted:

It'd be worth the E-ticket price just to sit in the cockpit yelling Allahu Ahckbhar as it gets towed to the burningman tower

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

ChesterJT posted:

You realize everyone onboard is high right? Most likely on hallucinogens? That poo poo never stops moving. Why waste money on fuel?

It's the principle of the thing. :colbert:

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Hmmm I got quoted 390. I guess an able bodied person can buy the $1000 ticket and piss and poo poo on themselves and then the people who pay less have to wipe you down and stuff. I mean who wouldn't sign the thing that says they won't be a constantly exploding trashcan for the duration of the festival. :shrug:

There's a low income ticket program you can apply for. 4000 tix at $190. A month ago the sent out an email basically begging people to apply because they were running out of time to process applications. I dont know if they even gave them all away this year. The "it costs $1000 just for a ticket and then you have to spend thousands more on everything else" idea keeps a lot of people who otherwise could go from even trying i think :(

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

Uncle Wemus posted:

Are all the naked people at burning man ugly or is it like the Hedonism resorts where only attractive people are allowed in

you see both extreme ends of the attractiveness spectrum 500 times a day

actually it pretty quickly gets to where you only notice the extremes.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Malaclypse posted:

you see both extreme ends of the attractiveness spectrum 500 times a day

actually it pretty quickly gets to where you only notice the extremes.

Can you describe your time in the orgy dome

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Can you describe your time in the orgy dome

never went into one. im more of a bar/dance club/weird funhouse or whatever sort and like to do my sex having in private :)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Malaclypse posted:

There's a low income ticket program you can apply for. 4000 tix at $190. A month ago the sent out an email basically begging people to apply because they were running out of time to process applications. I dont know if they even gave them all away this year. The "it costs $1000 just for a ticket and then you have to spend thousands more on everything else" idea keeps a lot of people who otherwise could go from even trying i think :(

I mean idk man I did try a few years ago. I really dunno what all you people are talking about saying it is cheap to rent an RV or buy camping poo poo and supplies for a week + drugs + take time off + cost of transport up there + ticket to the event. Sorry chums the average American is broke as gently caress.

and what 4000 tickets out of a total ~60k? That's about 6.67% of the tickets.

Realistically you're talking about $1000-$2000 if you're scrimping on everything (not counting the lost work hours) and yeah that's a lot of money to a lot of people.

e: It really doesn't help that apparently there's some 'Burner' culture thing such that no one wants to help a new person out. Tried to save on costs by getting together with some other go-ers in SD (we were gonna rent an RV etc.) and everyone was interested right up until I said it was my and my friends' first time then they just ghosted lol

very not plur

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 31, 2016

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm a modern day hippie obsessed with conspicuous consumption, you should join me at burning man where I will sexual assault your female acquaintances but it's totally cool because it's burning man.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Moridin920 posted:

I mean idk man I did try a few years ago. I really dunno what all you people are talking about saying it is cheap to rent an RV or buy camping poo poo and supplies for a week + drugs + take time off + cost of transport up there + ticket to the event. Sorry chums the average American is broke as gently caress.

Realistically you're talking about $1000-$2000 if you're scrimping on everything (not counting the lost work hours) and yeah that's a lot of money to a lot of people.

office workers don't consider people below their socioeconomic status to be human and strive to not be reminded anyone poorer than them exists at all. when reminded people poorer than them exist, they get mad and sanctimonious and proclaim moral superiority as justification for their life of leisure.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
whatever happened to just going to an allman bros show and getting hosed up in the parking lot? is that not enough anymore? burst bubble burst

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moridin920 posted:

e: It really doesn't help that apparently there's some 'Burner' culture thing such that no one wants to help a new person out. Tried to save on costs by getting together with some other go-ers in SD (we were gonna rent an RV etc.) and everyone was interested right up until I said it was my and my friends' first time then they just ghosted lol

very not plur

You sound like you have hippy friends and no retirement account aside from posting on social media till they cut off ur internets.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

OMGVBFLOL posted:

office workers don't consider people below their socioeconomic status to be human and strive to not be reminded anyone poorer than them exists at all. when reminded people poorer than them exist, they get mad and sanctimonious and proclaim moral superiority as justification for their life of leisure.

World needs ditch. Diggers. Ty

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

OMGVBFLOL posted:

This. What used to be something for faux-poors is now for Dilbert-types and up.

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

Moridin920 posted:

very not plur

BM isnt a rave so "plur" dosent apply.

Your best bet for having a good time your first burn is to hook up with an established theme camp with a modest concept and reasonable dues. either that or grab 2 or 3 friends, some tents and a makeshift shade structure and grab yourself some real estate in the hinterlands. you will spend very little time at your "camp" and that is ok.
i dont know why the people you tried to go with turned out to be dicks, but in my experience every theme camp absolutely requires first timers every year. they bring a really good energy and its almost always really fun to show a newb around the city.

basically think of going to BM as a vacation to another city, factor in that you will have to spend near zero dollars while there (2 bux for a bag of ice or a cup of coffee in center camp) and its really affordable. if your life is such that you cannot afford or or not allowed even a weeks vacation a year im sorry your life is crappy :(

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Malaclypse posted:

BM isnt a rave so "plur" dosent apply.

Your best bet for having a good time your first burn is to hook up with an established theme camp with a modest concept and reasonable dues. either that or grab 2 or 3 friends, some tents and a makeshift shade structure and grab yourself some real estate in the hinterlands. you will spend very little time at your "camp" and that is ok.
i dont know why the people you tried to go with turned out to be dicks, but in my experience every theme camp absolutely requires first timers every year. they bring a really good energy and its almost always really fun to show a newb around the city.

basically think of going to BM as a vacation to another city, factor in that you will have to spend near zero dollars while there (2 bux for a bag of ice or a cup of coffee in center camp) and its really affordable. if your life is such that you cannot afford or or not allowed even a weeks vacation a year im sorry your life is crappy :(

Whoa, someone that's been there and speaks like a normal person with advice.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

OMGVBFLOL posted:

also i'm gay

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Looks dope thanks for the heads up

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

Darth123123 posted:

Whoa, someone that's been there and speaks like a normal person with advice.

i went every year from '99 - 2007 and it changed a lot in that time. im sure its changed a lot since. i have tons of friends who still go and they assure me that it hasnt changed in any way that really matters. all the misinformation about it sticks in my craw, so i try to just talk about it the way it really is.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

Mariana Horchata posted:

whatever happened to just going to an allman bros show and getting hosed up in the parking lot? is that not enough anymore? burst bubble burst

I would honestly rather do this.
:/ effort

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uncle Wemus posted:

Yeah because the naked people are making a thing of "hey look I'm naked" and not just being naked. Like old dudes that have to zig and zag through every camp and make sure everyone sees their flapping jogger balls. They can't just do normal people poo poo like frisbee or fencing. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Yeah because the naked people are making a thing of "hey look I'm naked" and not just being naked. Like old dudes that have to zig and zag through every camp and make sure everyone sees their flapping jogger balls. They can't just do normal people poo poo like frisbee or fencing. :shrug:

I wasn't on board before, but I totally am now

• Locked thread