Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Tired Moritz posted:

I want to be gangbanged. fml

The STD bingo parlor is sure to give some long lasting souvenirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think id much rather go to Ibiza

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Cory Doctorow wrote a short story about how silicon valley burning man types saved space travel with a 3d printer and a kickstarter, and it was the worst sci fi trash I've ever had the privilege of reading.

It would have been trash even if you took out all the nerd pandering. But the nerd pandering was still the worst part.

SpaghetioSexNoises
Aug 16, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUDMy-GplkQ&

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
It seems gross to have sex with a bunch of people and then not be able to shower for like another 5 days after that.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

best part of burning man is u don't wear underwear and ur rear end basically turns into a sandbrick factory

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

wow this house is sturdy but smells like a chalupa

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Y-Hat posted:

i mention Vancouver and five minutes later i see this article talking about the housing market plunging there. can't wait for this to be repeated everywhere

Would like to see that here in SF but I'm not sure how much of the housing situation is solved by getting rid of Chinese money launderers. My understanding is that they are definitely part of the problem, but there are so many other reasons SF's housing market is hosed that an instant 20% drop in housing prices is probably not gonna happen.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Brosnan posted:

It seems gross to have sex with a bunch of people and then not be able to shower for like another 5 days after that.

gently caress like your desert ancestors in did Bethlehem--on this sick-rear end metal dinosaur.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Americans never come down on housing prices. If someone paid $500,000, they're never selling for less than 1.5 and market forces can suck their rear end

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

hemophilia posted:

Americans never come down on housing prices. If someone paid $500,000, they're never selling for less than 1.5 and market forces can suck their rear end

Unless they get underwater on their mortgage. But alas people who benefit from high housing prices, are the same ones who benefit from crashing housing prices.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Asking why Burning Man was so expensive in the Ask/Tell thread made a lot of people there really mad. They said it wasn't as long as I was an "artist",or I guess some guy in this thread is saying I can spend what I would on a normal vacation so I can go rut around in the desert with other white people.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

Unless they get underwater on their mortgage. But alas people who benefit from high housing prices, are the same ones who benefit from crashing housing prices.
yes they, are

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The cost to get there is usually not factored in either but when I was working out how much it would be it was easily a few hundred dollars worth of gas alone. Plus vehicle rental and whatever unless you want to take your regular car into that.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

The cost to get there is usually not factored in either but when I was working out how much it would be it was easily a few hundred dollars worth of gas alone. Plus vehicle rental and whatever unless you want to take your regular car into that.

Also STD tests after your girlfriend has a train run on her by burners.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Burning Man is definitely affordable, as long as you subscribe to the adage, "Grass, Gas or rear end" and everyone has at least one of those.

several friends
Apr 7, 2015

See from my videogamer perspective this place would be a good and fun bandit camp to clear, might even have a mage or two amongst the more generic weirdos?

It would function pretty well as a small nomadic settlement you come across between major hubs, lots of characters to interact with and funny dialogue. Ultra rare items to steal from satchels, developed lore behind the worship festival for Burning Man. Sounds god to this goon.

naem
May 29, 2011

big shags posted:

See from my videogamer perspective this place would be a good and fun bandit camp to clear, might even have a mage or two amongst the more generic weirdos?

It would function pretty well as a small nomadic settlement you come across between major hubs, lots of characters to interact with and funny dialogue. Ultra rare items to steal from satchels, developed lore behind the worship festival for Burning Man. Sounds god to this goon.

There's probably some magic dark elf boobie women too

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

it's actually like the 2nd and third sons and daughters of the elite families in your medieval kingdom all dressed down and went into what amounts to no mans land to do drugs and pretend they're peasants.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Maybe the sandstorm will get so severe it buries the entire playa.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Unguided posted:

Sandstorms are cool though. You can get away from your stalkers trying to level up their credit score with a high 5 or stock phrase type interaction and not have creeps trying to impose themselves on you for a little while.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012

Powercrazy posted:

Burning Man is definitely affordable, as long as you subscribe to the adage, "Grass, Gas or rear end" and everyone has at least one of those.

Fantastic. I'll take 3 burning mans plz.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Robot Danger posted:

Fantastic. I'll take 3 burning mans plz.

Are you sure that's enough? :shrug:

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
I can't imagine how horrible it would be to work the entrance of the orgy dome

Step right up! Cum two, cum all!

several friends
Apr 7, 2015

mdm posted:

I can't imagine how horrible it would be to work the entrance of the orgy dome

Step right up! Cum two, cum all!

The guy will almost certainly get free drugs and blowjobs for a hard day of standing around so I honestly don't think it's that bad.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

my taint looks like a pizza oven

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

it's like i'm walking around with desert eskimos colonizing my nethers

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

fits my needs posted:

Asking why Burning Man was so expensive in the Ask/Tell thread made a lot of people there really mad. They said it wasn't as long as I was an "artist",or I guess some guy in this thread is saying I can spend what I would on a normal vacation so I can go rut around in the desert with other white people.
they're not a well-adjusted bunch over there, so take solace in the fact that they don't like you

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think burning man is more or less just a big extension of the natural wonders store. It's like if all the new age fluff ideology and stings solo career spawned a whole generation of people who find solace in magical rain sticks filled with porcupine quills and stained glass mobiles. It's like all just a bunch of iterations of one dude wearing a skirt and listening to Enya in a wikker hammock and sipping herbal tea.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

there are people who go to this, without the intent of tripping balls in the desert. Like, they travel hundreds or even thousands of miles, stock up on a WEEK's worth of food and water. Water, in desert conditions, and they do all of this to look at wacky art and take their girlfriend/wife in a dead relationship to the monogamy orgy so you can stink of sex and spend days trying to shake playa out of your cracks and orifices.

they do that without drugs involved at all. Give me some peyote, or some lsd, i'll pass on the uppers i don't want to literally mummify myself to death but come on what the poo poo

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i like drugs but im not sure id like drugs and being stuck in the sandy desert for a week as a combination

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Unguided posted:

Burning man is already buried in bad techno

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Revolution against 'rich parasites' at utopian Burning Man Festival as 'hooligans' attack luxury camp
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/04/revolution-against-rich-parasites-at-utopian-burning-man-festiva/
5 SEPTEMBER 2016

quote:

It is supposed to be a utopian vision of peace and love but this year's Burning Man Festival has been marred by "hooligans" carrying out a "revolution against rich parasites".

The festival plays out each year in Nevada's Black Rock Desert where 70,000 people build a city in a week, burn a giant wooden effigy of a man, and then restore the arid playa to its original state.

In recent years it has become popular with Silicon Valley millionaires, and billionaires. Luxurious so-called "plug-n-play" camps have sprung up which use hired staff like cooks, builders and security, and allow international jetsetters to drop in for quick visits.

Many traditional "Burners" claim that is a betrayal of the spirit of "radical self-reliance" that is a cornerstone of the festival, which began in 1986.

As anger boiled over one camp called White Ocean, which hosts high profile DJs on a state-of-the-art stage, became the focus of anger.

The camp first made an appearance at Burning Man three years ago and its founders included the British DJ Paul Oakenfold and the son of a Russian billionaire.

While the camp was holding its "White Party", at which revelers dress all in white and listen to techno music, it was attacked by vandals who flooded it with water and cut power lines.

In a dismayed post on Facebook camp leaders said: "A very unfortunate and saddening event happened last night at White Ocean, something we thought would never be possible in our Burning Man utopia.

"A band of hooligans raided our camp, stole from us, pulled and sliced all of our electrical lines leaving us with no refrigeration and wasting our food, and glued our trailer doors shut.

"They vandalised most of our camping infrastructure and dumped 200 gallons of potable water flooding our camp."

The camp leaders said they felt like there had been an effort to "sabotage us from every angle" because "some feel we are not deserving of Burning Man".

They said: "We actually had someone from the Burning Man organisation tell us 'It makes sense that you have been sabotaged as you are a closed camp and not welcoming'."

But leaders of the White Ocean camp said their reputation was unfair because they feed hundreds of other campers every day and have embraced other Burners with "open hearts and immense love"

They said: "We will absolutely not let this pathetic violation stop what we came here to do. We came here to unite people through music and love.

"We can make these foolish acts of hate as minuscule as a particle of dust on our beloved playa." Deputies from the local Pershing County Sheriff's Office went to the camp to assess the damage and are investigating.

Many festival-goers were outraged that the peaceful nature of the event had been undermined.

Elena Serdiouk, a Burner from San Francisco, told the Reno Gazette-Journal: "This is evil. This should not happen at Burning Man. This is supposed to be about love, happiness, sharing, giving and appreciating.

"It is unbelievable that there are angry people here."

But others supported the attack, saying it was time to "take back" the festival.

Tony Wichowski, a Burner, said: "And so the revolution has begun. Taking Burning Man back from the parasite class, back from the electronic dance music tourists. Taking Burning Man back for the people. This wasn't much but it's a great start."

Danielle Palmer, another Burner, accused the camp of having "paid staff and bouncers". She said: "You're a closed camp and not very welcoming. I got yelled at for coming to close to your 'gates'.

"We know you hire people in to cook and do other things. Feeding friends of your paid campers does not count as feeding Burners."

:getin:

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Going to burning man is something Ben Folds would make fun of.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

NSFW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAkgBQnqiSU&t=158s

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
A bunch of rich twats come late to the party cuz they heard it was cool showing off their expensive infrastructure with Katy Perry guest spots and wonder why the experienced burners want to ruin their poo poo.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Yeah but lol at anything and everything americans do in general, specially this thing. Lets be spiritual over the free market together woooh, so incredibly meaningful and the gods (of money) are on our side!

Zidrooner
Jul 20, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People from all walks of life partying together and doing MDMA and LSD together sounds like it could do a lot of good. But not if the elites separate themselves from exposure to any ideology but their own by using bouncers. This action makes burning man look like less of a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Is it all just EDM? Jesus christ what a nightmare.

• Locked thread