Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Six Sexy Americans
Alone in a house with nothing to do but get nasty
(yeah, you like that?)
This is Sex House
(Welcome to Sex House!)

You should watch Sex House, it is the Sexy thing to do. Per Wikipedia: Sex House is a web series produced by The Onion, produced via their Onion Digital Studios department. It is exclusive to YouTube per a grant from the website. It is a dark satire of reality shows, their production and surrounding culture. The series was directed by Geoff Haggerty, produced by Grant Jones, Sandy Gordon and Matt Corrado, cinematography by Mark Niedelson and production design by Lauren Adel Klich.

The characters are:

The Contestants:
-Jay, a stereotypical fratboy
-Alex, an attention-seeking "indie" girl
-Tara, a self-described spoiled party girl and ex-cheerleader
-Erin, an 18-year-old virgin
-Frank, a married 45 year-old accountant with two children who won a pizza contest
-Derek, an African-American homosexual

Other Characters:
-The Host, a reality TV show host
-The Announcer, the voice that announces on Sex House
-The Therapist, a therapist to help the sexy contestants get busy!
-The Camera Crew, they do not speak to the contestants and the contestants do not speak with them.
-The Repair Man, he repairs broken equipment
-The Punisher, he punishes contestants when they are bad
-The Frogs, the froggies fix the fly problem and are beloved by Tara
-The Producers, they decide the fate of the inhabitants of Sex House
-Baby Danny Vollmer, Erin and Frank's baby
-The Mold, it cures Dengue Fever

The Episodes:

Meet the Nymphos

Sexy Truth or Sexy Dare

Get On That Pole!

Erin Bares It All

Banana Sex Olympics

Dr Sex

Sex In A Bottle

Orgy Scheming

Sex Climax

Sex House Reunion

"Another day more warmth and smoothness to feel on my skin!"

Please, only yellow lines. No blue lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
remember how many goons legitimately thought this was one of the best things ever lmao

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I still think it was pretty good.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Propaganda Machine posted:

I still think it was pretty good.

:agreed:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Yeah, if you are an old rapist.

*high five*

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

remember how many goons legitimately thought this was one of the best things ever lmao

I mean, it actually is really, really loving good. I think goons latched onto it because of all the "weird" stuff they added in seemingly at random though.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

I mean, it actually is really, really loving good. I think goons latched onto it because of all the "weird" stuff they added in seemingly at random though.

That, and the fact that it provided hope that sex wasn't as impossible as previously thought.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

It's basically every house reality show ever had a baby with Cabin in the Woods.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I loved this but Porkin Across America and Lake Dredge Appraisal were better. Man the Onion put out a lot of awesome original content back in the day.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

The reunion episode was pretty crappy.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It was a good show, I liked it a lot. The reunion episode felt like pretty much a let down, but I think that's because the episodes before it were building up so much tension. I don't mind the reunion episode because it does feel in place with the commentary that the show was doing with reality tv, and you can tell that the characters are still pretty affected by what they went through, so I was ok with it. My personal opinion though.

I might have to go check out the other onion shows that they made if they're even half as good as Sex House, because then they must be great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Porkin' Across America was definitely better yeah.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I loved this but Porkin Across America and Lake Dredge Appraisal were better. Man the Onion put out a lot of awesome original content back in the day.

I need to finish Lake Dredge Appraisal, that was some good poo poo. It's hard to compare Working and Sex House, though; they do the same drat thing in entirely different flavors.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Sex House just kept building and building the tension and insanity, and you had to see what came next.

I really loved Sports Dome too, but nobody seems to remember it. My favorite part was the MMA fighter who lost both hands in an accident and got wolfram carbide prostheses.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Lake Dredge is good.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
But not as good as SEX HOUSE.

Watch Sex House: it's the sexy thing to do.

Edit: nm, dp . . . . and also a double post!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

evobatman posted:

I really loved Sports Dome too, but nobody seems to remember it. My favorite part was the MMA fighter who lost both hands in an accident and got wolfram carbide prostheses.

That was one of my favorite clips on it too. Between Sportsdome and Norms sports show, it was a great time to be alive.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
My biggest complaint about sex house is that it escalated into weird for weird sake a bit too fast, especially with everything related to the mold.

It was still an enjoyable take on the "trapped in a house" reality shows that are/were incredibly popular at the time.

The Onion doesn't seem to put out too many videos anymore, at least not on their youtube channel. It's a shame, because sex house and lake dredge were good, and now I'm going to watch porkin

EDIT: Porking Across America is pretty great, too.

thedaian fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 12, 2016

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I don't know, the weird stuff had a purpose because the ultimate punchline of the show is that the producers were so unconcerned with the well being of the cast that there were people legitimately theorizing that the cast was trapped in hell or caught in an alien terrarium. "To call this place evil implies a clarity of purpose that I do not want to attribute to anyone involved" is a fantastic line.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

evobatman posted:

Sex House just kept building and building the tension and insanity, and you had to see what came next.

Was Sports Dome the one on Comedy Central? That one was great, although not as great as the Onion News show that was on, I wanna say IFC?

The Onion had a great thing going on with their programming for a while, but after Porkin and Lake Dredge it seems like they just took a huge nosedive quality wise and never recovered.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What was the one they did for Amazon that never went beyond a pilot? I recall that one being good too.

Both the IFC one and sportsdome were great and I was sad when they got cancelled.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
If you liked the IFC show, do what you can to hunt down The Onion Movie. It's in the vein of Kentucky Fried Movie but, well, oniony.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

thedaian posted:

My biggest complaint about sex house is that it escalated into weird for weird sake a bit too fast, especially with everything related to the mold.

It was still an enjoyable take on the "trapped in a house" reality shows that are/were incredibly popular at the time.

The Onion doesn't seem to put out too many videos anymore, at least not on their youtube channel. It's a shame, because sex house and lake dredge were good, and now I'm going to watch porkin

EDIT: Porking Across America is pretty great, too.

I think it just took the premise to all of its logical conclusions, which is what made it funny.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

The saddest part about Sex House, Lake Dredge Appraisal, and Porkin Across America is that they tried to do some talent show parody that just felt like it fell flat and it might have killed those types of shows. I guess it could also be that they didn't exactly generate a lot of revenue too.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Poor froggies

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Doctor Good is pretty funny too, but you have to appreciate the surrealism. Also, the Onion Talks series was incredibly gratifying to anyone who hates TEDTalks. "What... is... the biggest rock?"

It's a shame The Onion is basically just an advertising agency now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sex House and Porkin were both great but ended a little weakly, but Lake Dredge Appraisal had a fantastic final episode.

It's not a series, but the Onion Film Critic videos are also really great.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Duckbag posted:

Doctor Good is pretty funny too, but you have to appreciate the surrealism. Also, the Onion Talks series was incredibly gratifying to anyone who hates TEDTalks. "What... is... the biggest rock?"

The best part about this was the teaser for that at the end of Sex House and Porkin'. People were going nuts in the comments here & elsewhere just based on that teaser, really going along with the joke. It was a real fun meta.

Unfortunately, the actual parody was just okay.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Jerusalem posted:

It's not a series, but the Onion Film Critic videos are also really great.

Yeah, the Film Critic videos are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

Yeah, the Film Critic videos are amazing.

Yeah, "The Onion Film Standard" and Kelly's political cartoons are pretty much the only reason I still go to that website.

• Locked thread