Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Baronash posted:

You mentioned getting free ice time. Is that a perk of being a goalie?

Also, how good of a skater were you before you started playing?

In a lot of places in the US it's customary for goalies to either pay less or even play for free outright. It's a bit of a tradition because it's not always easy to find goalies and you can't well have beer league hockey without them. Also goalie equipment is more expensive than skater equipment, with good leg pads in particular costing a lot of money.

Whether this is the case in Canada or not, I don't know. It may be different there as ice is cheaper, gear is more readily available, and there is a larger pool of players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Dogfish posted:

Yes, it's the case in Canada. Goalie equipment is expensive as hell so there are fewer goalies in the age brackets where your parents don't buy your equipment any more, so there are fewer available. I've never heard of a goalie paying for ice time in a rec league.

Also this thread is really interesting to read as a Canadian. I tend to think of the States as just a warmer, weirder Canada, but there are these little cultural differences that you don't notice until they're right in front of you. The idea that someone could grow to adulthood without extensive exposure to hockey is really weird to me.

It depends where in the US you are. If you grow up in Michigan, Minnesota, or the North East US, it will be pretty hard to grow up without some level of exposure to hockey. I grew up in Massachusetts and hockey was extremely popular there. Not as popular as football or baseball, granted, but it had a healthy following.

Mojo Threepwood posted:

How does it work if a goalie gets a penalty? Is there a play stoppage to get a replacement geared up?

Is there a point where having a goalie be too large would be a disadvantage? Would an athletic 300 lb 7ft guy be incredible or an easy target?

A player from the goalie's team that was on the ice when the penalty occurred has to serve the penalty for the goalie.

Big goalies are all the rage these days in the NHL, but within reason. You wouldn't want to be 300 pounds in the net because you wouldn't be able to move at all and pro players are good enough to exploit a goalie that can't at all move. But most NHL goalies now are over 6 feet tall and it's undeniably preferable to have a larger goalie who can cover a lot of net. Large goalies especially have an advantage because they can play deeper in their nets than a smaller goalie and when they go down in the butterfly they still cover a lot of the upper portion of the net.

• Locked thread