Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

ultrabindu posted:

Is it worth getting the season pass for this game?

I think that's pretty much an unqualified yes. The season pass is $50 now and gets you six DLCs, but two of those are purely additional build items and one of them is mostly build items with a handful of quests attached. The three DLCs with a decent amount of story content (Automatron, Far Harbor, and Nuka World) cost $55 if you purchase them separately so you already come out ahead getting the season pass.

And for the purposes of the LP I do have all the season pass and the relevant quests will be options once they unlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

ultrabindu posted:

Nuka-World is worth it if you like want a lot of extra little set pieces with their own unique(ish) enemies and environmental stories. Basically it's just more of the base game's gameplay.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
It's clearly been far too long since I've played through Fallout 2 if I couldn't remember that you use NCR bucks instead of Caps. This really does make reverting to Caps in 3 and 4 look drat stupid.

I also wasn't aware that Sawyer had changed his position regarding Ghouls being "What unmodified FEV does to some people who were also irradiated" to "Radiation just does this sometimes, guys!" The later does fit with Fallout's 50's Pulp Sci-Fi aesthetic though, so I guess I'm willing to let it go.

There is zero excuse for Jet, though.

I couldn't wait for the edited videos, so I watched the archived stream. The drunken rambling near the end was pretty great, hope we get more of that!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

ultrabindu posted:

If you like the settlement aspect of the game alot I can see getting the season pass, but as someone who didn't, I'm glad I didn't spend the $50 dollars they are asking for it now. Automatron is neat but has only about an hour of quest content, far harbor is cool, but Nukaworld is downright disappointing if you're like me and have a hard time playing an evil character.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 3:thx:

After much labor yesterday I now have no labor to perform on Labor Day. Accordingly we'll be streaming this evening, probably around 7:30 central to get an early start. From the looks of things we're definitely hitting Satellite Station Olivia first, then the quarry, doing some exploring, and then heading off toward Diamond City. Nobody seems to want to help Ten Pines Bluff, but I'll stop in anyway and at least get the next marker on the quest and add it to the voting for next week.

No consensus on raising the difficulty, but it might be worth reconsidering after this stream.

Roobanguy posted:

If you like the settlement aspect of the game alot I can see getting the season pass, but as someone who didn't, I'm glad I didn't spend the $50 dollars they are asking for it now. Automatron is neat but has only about an hour of quest content, far harbor is cool, but Nukaworld is downright disappointing if you're like me and have a hard time playing an evil character.

I picked it up right before the first DLC came out, the day before they raised the price the first time, so my opinion might be a bit biased. I think it was around $30 back then, so it turned out to be a bargain.

RickVoid posted:

I couldn't wait for the edited videos, so I watched the archived stream. The drunken rambling near the end was pretty great, hope we get more of that!

So, funny story... my wife had apparently forgotten the last half hour of the stream and after seeing this we went back to rewatch that part. She spent a considerable portion of it with her face covered. That said, preparation for every stream is going to involve the preparation of mixed drinks so drunken rambling is entirely on the table.

GunnerJ posted:

Re: "Why is he Irish," colonial British America was a bit more "multinational" than you might think. By then it wasn't an English colony specifically, after all. There were a lot of Irish and Scottish (and Scots-Irish) settlers, Germans too, and Dutch from New Amsterdam. Irish-descended colonists could be attracted to the patriot cause because they had a number of good historical reasons to hate the poo poo out of the British government (British oppression in Ireland was probably a great motivator to emigrate to the colonies in the first place). Port towns like Boston were especially diverse just by virtue of having so many people coming and going from all over. The participants in the Boston Tea Party reflected this diversity of colonial British America. There were English, Scottish, French, African, Portuguese, and, yes, Irish participants.

Don't you mean Old New York? I guess that we just tend to think of the Irish more in context of the larger migrations in the 19th century as that's when the "No Irish Allowed" sentiment really peaked, so it was a bit jarring to hear the sudden switch to an Irish accent in the middle of that tour audio. I suppose when you get down to it we didn't really expect the game to have been that correct since we were in something called "The Museum of Freedom." Then again, that's far from the most out of place Irish accent we're going to encounter in this game.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

No strong opinions about difficulty, but please get at least a few varied weapons that you name and strategically cherish forever.

Weapon names sounds like a fun thing to add in. I usually get at least one long range, one mid/short range, and one heavy assault weapon along with anything else that catches my eye. There's a few unique and interesting weapons, that's for sure.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so would you mind adding those update links to the table of contents? I almost didn't notice there were 3 videos and assumed the lp was still under construction

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

double nine posted:

so would you mind adding those update links to the table of contents? I almost didn't notice there were 3 videos and assumed the lp was still under construction

You caught me in the act of doing so. Fixed!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

ddegenha posted:

Don't you mean Old New York? I guess that we just tend to think of the Irish more in context of the larger migrations in the 19th century as that's when the "No Irish Allowed" sentiment really peaked, so it was a bit jarring to hear the sudden switch to an Irish accent in the middle of that tour audio. I suppose when you get down to it we didn't really expect the game to have been that correct since we were in something called "The Museum of Freedom." Then again, that's far from the most out of place Irish accent we're going to encounter in this game.

Not sure what you mean by "Old New York," but the bit about New Amsterdam was just one example of colonial diversity, although not really that relevant to Boston (afaik). I basically just meant that the descendants of Dutch colonists were still kicking around after it became New York. We usually do think about Irish in America as a 19th century thing because that's when the big wave of immigration began, so I definitely get why it's unexpected to depict an original Tea Partier with an Irish accent. I'm a professional history nerd and so it's just my nature to chime in about this stuff, no reproach intended. And given the level of quality in that museum, yeah it's likely this was "accidental accuracy" on the part of either the fictional designers of the museum or the actual designers of the game. :v:

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

GunnerJ posted:

Not sure what you mean by "Old New York," but the bit about New Amsterdam was just one example of colonial diversity, although not really that relevant to Boston (afaik). I basically just meant that the descendants of Dutch colonists were still kicking around after it became New York. We usually do think about Irish in America as a 19th century thing because that's when the big wave of immigration began, so I definitely get why it's unexpected to depict an original Tea Partier with an Irish accent. I'm a professional history nerd and so it's just my nature to chime in about this stuff, no reproach intended. And given the level of quality in that museum, yeah it's likely this was "accidental accuracy" on the part of either the fictional designers of the museum or the actual designers of the game. :v:

They Might Be Giants reference from the song Constantinople - "Even Old New York was once New Amsterdam." I'm a semi-professional history nerd (BA and working on an MA) and my wife has an MA but her focus is mostly on temperance movements and the prohibition era. So by all means, chime away! We'll certainly enjoy it.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
As a They Might Be Giants history nerd, I'd just like to point out that their hit "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" is actually a cover song. The original was by a 50's/60's Canadian vocal group called The Four Lads. :eng101:

No idea about Canada's opinion about the Crown's taxation of tea imports or how they handle mass-murdering Raiders though.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
It was still basically a French colony largely populated by fur traders, Jesuits, and native people, only partially integrated into the British Empire by then. So they had other poo poo going on.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
We're live and Streaming now, come on out for shenanigans.

Stream over! Thanks for coming out, those of you who made it. Looks like Twitch was having some problems, but there will be videos coming. We made it most of the way to Diamond City (but aren't those last few feet the hard part) so there's a few more choices. Won't be streaming again until the weekend, and I'll put a poll up to see what we should do a bit later this week.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 6, 2016

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 4:thx:

A little bit more in Concord and then back to Sanctuary. You might be able to tell that I'm not the biggest into Settlement Mode, and that's even before the audio started acting up while we were using it. Possibly a data issue - we tried doing the last stream in a slightly lower resolution to see if that solved the problem. In the meantime we have one more video from the first stream, which will go up tomorrow along with poll about what we should do next.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

As a They Might Be Giants history nerd, I'd just like to point out that their hit "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" is actually a cover song. The original was by a 50's/60's Canadian vocal group called The Four Lads. :eng101:

No idea about Canada's opinion about the Crown's taxation of tea imports or how they handle mass-murdering Raiders though.

Am I the only person who would love to see a Fallout game set in Canada? Nuka Cola Maple, here I come! Raiders with hockey sticks and various other Canadian stereotypes, plus people who say aboot. Not sure what Quebec would have turned into..

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

ddegenha posted:

Am I the only person who would love to see a Fallout game set in Canada? Nuka Cola Maple, here I come! Raiders with hockey sticks and various other Canadian stereotypes, plus people who say aboot. Not sure what Quebec would have turned into..

That would be a really good idea. In the Fallout universe, Canada was subject to a brutal US occupation in the years immediately prior to the bombs dropping. They could do a lot with the lore surrounding that whole mess.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

ddegenha posted:

Not sure what Quebec would have turned into..

Supermutants. They're like regular Supermutants but they scream at you in French.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 5:thx:

Final update of the stream, making Sanctuary livable and getting a quest for next time. You can KIND of tell that we're at the end of the night here. What can I say, night person sounded like a good idea at the time. Monday night's stream will start being put up tomorrow along with a poll to prioritize questing.

White Coke posted:

Supermutants. They're like regular Supermutants but they scream at you in French.

Are you listening, Chris Avellone? I will pay you cash money for this.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Do you think they were murdering those dogs?

Five dogs in quick succession, sounds suspicious to me.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Rather than being set in Canada I think Fallout 5 should be set in the Great Lakes region. There's some kind of an Enclave base in Chicago so they could make a return. Rather than just take place around Chicago though they should have a bunch of smaller maps located around various locations bordering the lakes. You could get all sorts of neat little locations which is something Bethesda does better than telling a grand narrative.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

ultrabindu posted:

Do you think they were murdering those dogs?

Five dogs in quick succession, sounds suspicious to me.

Had to think back a bit to figure out exactly what you might have been talking about... the narrative got a bit compressed, this was all over the course of a few years with a couple breaks. That said, the dogs in question usually made it to be around 2-3 years old so it's still an uncommonly swift attrition rate.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 6:thx:

First video of the second stream, and we made a couple of tweaks to try and improve the quality. For the next few videos the echo from dialogue in the game is gone, but the trade off was that I couldn't hear ambient sound. Results were mixed, but it seems like we've finally got a full solution for streaming on Saturday (broke down and bought headsets). I'm also interested to hear what people think of the actual video quality for these next few in comparison to the previous updates.

For storyline purposes, in this stream we didn't quite make it to Diamond City but a few new options did open up. You can set our priorities for the next stream by voting here.

Options are:

Go back to the Corvega Assembly Plant (finish helping Ten Pines Bluff)
Respond to the distress call at the Cambridge Police Station
Explore the Super Duper Mart
Check out a settlement and junk yard near the Drive-In
Just keep right on rolling to Diamond City

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

ddegenha posted:

Options are:

Go back to the Corvega Assembly Plant (finish helping Ten Pines Bluff)
Respond to the distress call at the Cambridge Police Station
Explore the Super Duper Mart
Check out a settlement and junk yard near the Drive-In
Just keep right on rolling to Diamond City

Honestly I want you to show off as much of the game as possible. Park the main quest for now and go exploring and do as many sidequests as you can.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

ultrabindu posted:

Honestly I want you to show off as much of the game as possible. Park the main quest for now and go exploring and do as many sidequests as you can.

This is my vote too, but the first thing should be to drop everything and respond to the distress call first because it does seem like the kind of thing Archer would do. I haven't read the show, only read about it, but it seems like despite his sarcasm and general dickishness, he's a pretty competent guy who takes his job seriously. And if so, then responding to an official police-radio distress call seems like the kind of thing that would take priority over whatever else he's doing at the moment.

OTOH, if someone who has seen the show says, "No, actually, that's totally NOT how Archer would act", then go with that person's greater knowledge.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 7:thx:

Mostly exploration and some quest turn in for this one, as well as advancing the Ten Pines Bluff quest to find out what they actually want us to do. We end up in Thicket Excavations, which is actually a two part event that you start with the quest that's about to get finished. At least we're getting paid.

ultrabindu posted:

I wouldn't worry too much, since I'd still be advancing the main quest only as far as the voting option and then faffing about to do other things with the rest of the stream time. The main quest in this one is distributed enough that you actually have to explore a good bit to finish it.

Tax Refund posted:

This is my vote too, but the first thing should be to drop everything and respond to the distress call first because it does seem like the kind of thing Archer would do. I haven't read the show, only read about it, but it seems like despite his sarcasm and general dickishness, he's a pretty competent guy who takes his job seriously. And if so, then responding to an official police-radio distress call seems like the kind of thing that would take priority over whatever else he's doing at the moment.

As a general rule, if you ever find yourself asking "What would Sterling Archer do in this situation?" then it's a pretty good sign that things have gone so far south that you're now headed north again. This LP is the only exception. I think what I always took away from Archer is that out of the entire cast he's one of the few who's a halfway decent human being, albeit an incredibly flawed one. There might be something to what you're saying about the character being someone who would at least look into a distress call.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
http://i.imgur.com/arsxMSX.webm

http://i.imgur.com/XQ7umTS.webm

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

I would say that they should have sent a poet, but evidently they did.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
I voted police station because there's probably some sweet swag available. Cops always have the best stuff.

ultrabindu posted:

[good poo poo]
Noice!

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 8:thx:

Conclusion of Part 1 of Thicket Excavations and we stumble on a bit of spycraft. Also, ghouls, and then a detour into a drive in. We're kind of zigging back and forth on the way to Diamond City at this point, but I think a lot of you are fine with that.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 3, 2017

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
We're streaming now! Stream over, thanks for everybody who came out. We didn't quite make Diamond City, but I think it worked out pretty well. The mayhem level definitely kicked up once I acquired some decent weapons. Next time we'll definitely get to Diamond City!

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 11, 2016

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 9:thx:

This episode features a high amount of rodents both in game and in conversation, a creative approach to mine clearing, and the question "What would Archer do in this situation?" answered by "Shoot someone in the face." At this point we're just kind of aimlessly zigzagging towards Diamond City and exploring the wasteland in search of ammunition and equipment. This episode can also be described as "The Gerbil Episode."

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Are you concerned that you may have married into a family of animal murderers? Or Rodent-mancers?

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Btw there is definitely some sort of trap negation that comes after one kills you. I don't know if it's tied to difficulty or game mode or what, but I've seen other people's runs hit that very same diner landmine and thereafter obsessively search the same spot for now nonexistent dangers. It is quite a jerkily hidden trap, though.

Also rodentia facts: Gerbils are fragile little buggers. They're kind of cute, but they're suicidal mayfly soap bubbles.
Also also: Capybara are like 3 feet high and 6 feet long. Should have replaced the school gerbil with one of those. Waaay sturdier.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 10:thx:

Last video where I couldn't hear anything, with all the fun that comes along with that. We're into the more built up towns north of Boston at this point so its into house to house fighting, which doesn't get any better when some of the raiders have tactical nukes. Also some named ghouls, which I think actually went pretty well, and we end by picking up a distress signal from up ahead with only one 10mm round left. No worries.

ultrabindu posted:

Are you concerned that you may have married into a family of animal murderers? Or Rodent-mancers?

Life on the farm, red in tooth and claw. We haven't even talked about cows yet.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Btw there is definitely some sort of trap negation that comes after one kills you. I don't know if it's tied to difficulty or game mode or what, but I've seen other people's runs hit that very same diner landmine and thereafter obsessively search the same spot for now nonexistent dangers. It is quite a jerkily hidden trap, though.

Also rodentia facts: Gerbils are fragile little buggers. They're kind of cute, but they're suicidal mayfly soap bubbles.
Also also: Capybara are like 3 feet high and 6 feet long. Should have replaced the school gerbil with one of those. Waaay sturdier.

I almost wonder if there's several variants of the diner that load randomly. I swear I've seen a bottlecap mine sitting on the counter there before as well and it wasn't here. I like my solution of chucking explosives in there just to be certain.

Speaking of gerbils, for 18 years of my life I believed that my pet gerbil had escaped and run away when my family was moving. My parents didn't want to tell me it'd gotten squished by a suitcase while halfway out from under the cage. I'm not sure if they'd have noticed the capybara replacement, but I think it'd have been really hard to get the capybara into the hamster ball.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

ddegenha posted:

Life on the farm, red in tooth and claw. We haven't even talked about cows brahmin yet.

:colbert:

Are those named ghouls from your intro neighborhood? You know, from prewar times? I never noticed myself because I don't pay close attention to tutorial stages but I think I remember reading that some place.

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 12, 2016

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Cathode Raymond posted:

:colbert:

Are those named ghouls from your intro neighborhood? You know, from prewar times? I never noticed myself because I don't pay close attention to tutorial stages but I think I remember reading that some place.

I took a quick look and that's what people say. There are also references to them being the customers who are listed in the drug dealer's computer way back in the first update.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

ddegenha posted:

I took a quick look and that's what people say. There are also references to them being the customers who are listed in the drug dealer's computer way back in the first update.

If that's the case, that actually brings up a decent possible explanation for ghouls. Human + extreme radiation = death (normally), BUT human + certain drugs + extreme radiation = ghoul. And because most people on those drugs are taking them addictively, most ghouls go feral due to drug withdrawal interactions of some kind (maybe the drug doesn't work on ghoul biology, or maybe the dealers who survived the bombs just don't like selling to ghouls). But some people were taking drugs not because they were addicted, but because it was prescription medication -- and those people don't go through a nasty withdrawal and thus don't turn feral. Hence why there are non-feral ghouls in Fallout 3 -- and while we haven't seen any in Fallout 4 yet, when Preston Garvey talked about ghouls, he said that some of them were "just... people", which implies that we'll meet some non-feral ghouls at some future point.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Tax Refund posted:

If that's the case, that actually brings up a decent possible explanation for ghouls. Human + extreme radiation = death (normally), BUT human + certain drugs + extreme radiation = ghoul. And because most people on those drugs are taking them addictively, most ghouls go feral due to drug withdrawal interactions of some kind (maybe the drug doesn't work on ghoul biology, or maybe the dealers who survived the bombs just don't like selling to ghouls). But some people were taking drugs not because they were addicted, but because it was prescription medication -- and those people don't go through a nasty withdrawal and thus don't turn feral. Hence why there are non-feral ghouls in Fallout 3 -- and while we haven't seen any in Fallout 4 yet, when Preston Garvey talked about ghouls, he said that some of them were "just... people", which implies that we'll meet some non-feral ghouls at some future point.

In Fallout 3 there was a ghoul scientist who you helped to make Ultra Jet, a much more powerful form of the drug because the normal stuff isn't powerful enough to work on ghouls so this is as good a theory as any for why people become ghouls beyond random chance.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 11:thx:

It's ghouls all the way down as we make our way into Cambridge to answer the distress call. There's a lot of terrain to use to our advantage and some ammo, as well as mines all over the place. I'll just go ahead and say that this week we only got two quests done, but they're pretty long ones so it'll all work out. The new audio setup brings back a tiny bit of the echo from earlier, but it's much reduced and now we can hear. You might be able to pick up the difference as far as situational awareness goes watching this video.

Tax Refund posted:

Won't be too long before we meat some non-feral ghouls and this is an interesting idea, but there are a few cases that seem to suggest it might not be 100% true. Then again, it's possible that 21st century America in the Fallout continuum had much more widespread use of drugs as part of the general social issues in that time period. I'll make a note of this for when we do find one of the more difficult cases for this to apply to.

White Coke posted:

In Fallout 3 there was a ghoul scientist who you helped to make Ultra Jet, a much more powerful form of the drug because the normal stuff isn't powerful enough to work on ghouls so this is as good a theory as any for why people become ghouls beyond random chance.

Gotta love that the game's lore is open enough to allow this kind of theorizing.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

ddegenha posted:

:thx:Update 11:thx:

It's ghouls all the way down as we make our way into Cambridge to answer the distress call. There's a lot of terrain to use to our advantage and some ammo, as well as mines all over the place. I'll just go ahead and say that this week we only got two quests done, but they're pretty long ones so it'll all work out. The new audio setup brings back a tiny bit of the echo from earlier, but it's much reduced and now we can hear. You might be able to pick up the difference as far as situational awareness goes watching this video.

I watched your stream (after the fact, as I wasn't able to get on while it was live), and the echo is completely manageable. If it's a choice between that small amount of echo and watching you play with no situational awareness, I'd choose the echo in a heartbeat. In the second stream, I remember a moment when there was gunfire going on outside and Dogmeat was yelping in pain, and you were searching the room completely oblivious to it all. (Since, of course, you couldn't hear any of it). That was... frustrating to watch, even though I knew why it was going on. It's much more fun for me to watch when you're able to actually hear what's going on, so I'm glad you have a decent audio solution now.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Dogmeat's the best companion :3:

All the other choices like this, or dislike that. Power armor? Danse likes it! Stealing? Danse doesn't like it. Lock picking? Danse-you know what Danse? Why don't you find your own dog and have your own adventures if you have so many opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Cathode Raymond posted:

Dogmeat's the best companion :3:

All the other choices like this, or dislike that. Power armor? Danse likes it! Stealing? Danse doesn't like it. Lock picking? Danse-you know what Danse? Why don't you find your own dog and have your own adventures if you have so many opinions?

Plus you can invest in all the useful Lone Wanderer feat stuff and not have to hear the same handful of voice clips over and over (barks notwithstanding). That said some companions are pretty interesting for specific quests and I'm pretty sure you get some pal-flavored perks for maxing out their favorability. I'd hate to have to try them all out long enough to figure a best-choice story path though.

• Locked thread