Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I recently purged a shitload of these fuckers with alcohol-free (it has to be alcohol-free) mouthwash left out in a cup overnight.

Along these lines I've had success in the past making little traps consisting of a small bowl, cider vinegar, a drop or two of hand soap and then cover with cellophane and punch a few holes in it.

Fruit flies are attracted to the vinegar, get stuck under the cellophane and eventually either starve, drown or drink the liquid and die from the drops of soap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Rhyno posted:

The year hasn't been the worst by far but the fire the other day sure did suck ballsacks full of suck.

Yeah, I feel like your house burning down kinda gives you reason to be a bit negative.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

kastein posted:

Yeah, I feel like your house burning down kinda gives you reason to be a bit negative.
I think it was just one room, right? Could have been worse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kastein posted:

Eh, damage was minor and we should hopefully have the apartment fully repaired by the end of September so it ain't that bad. I got a great girlfriend and I like my job. Could be worse. August still sucked though.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I might be car shopping soon and drat does that vroom thread have me worked up about going to a dealer. :smith:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Minto Took posted:

I might be car shopping soon and drat does that vroom thread have me worked up about going to a dealer. :smith:

When I walked past the dumpster fire behind the KFC I had no interest in fried chicken for the next few weeks.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
"SEDAGIVE?!"

Young Frankenstein remains funny. I still say "nice grouping" when playing darts. Blazing Saddles, however, doesn't hold up so much.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Minto Took posted:

I'm not looking to start a debate or anything but I would take all of their experiences with a grain of salt. There are good and bad salesmen/dealers out there. You may find this interesting to listen to before hand:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/513/129-cars

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

scuz posted:

"SEDAGIVE?!"

Young Frankenstein remains funny. I still say "nice grouping" when playing darts. Blazing Saddles, however, doesn't hold up so much.

Blazing Saddles is still hilarious you heathen.

On the same note, just saw Days of Thunder is on netflix...but goes away at midnight. So guess I'm watching that now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy crap. One of my blisters from the weekend before last had persisted in not healing and I couldn't figure out why. I was just prodding it when I realized there was another blister in the original blister. No wonder it's been so drat sensitive and hard to walk on. Yowch.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

Blazing Saddles is still hilarious you heathen.

On the same note, just saw Days of Thunder is on netflix...but goes away at midnight. So guess I'm watching that now.

An argument over which Mel Brooks movies are still funny is an ugly thing. And I think it's just about time that we had one!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

scuz posted:

An argument over which Mel Brooks movies are still funny is an ugly thing. And I think it's just about time that we had one!

The original Producers is much better the remake.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

scuz posted:

Blazing Saddles, HotW Pt1, The Producers, To Be or Not to Be, Spaceballs, Robin Hood, and Silent Movie.

Fight me bitch.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Spaceballs is a classic and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

scuz posted:

They all are.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I have a house now

It is a nice house

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Men in Tights isn't even a little funny.

Tusen Takk posted:

I have a house now

It is a nice house

Time for HAUS PARTEE

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Blazing Saddles, full stop.

No way that movie gets made today.

My son and I are headed to Dallas this weekend for Alabama vs USC. Will be good to get away for a couple days.

Started to write a big e/n post but deleted it. Was cathartic enough to get it out and read it and leave well enough alone

Rhyno posted:

Men in Tights isn't even a little funny.

I will fight you over this

Tide fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 1, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

We just bought paint and holy poo poo I didn't realize how expensive paint is

The good news is everything else we want to do is v cheap so yay

Well everything except for the fence

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tusen Takk posted:

Oh your poor deluded fool.

Happy Home ownership!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tusen Takk posted:

Don't go cheap on paint. I like Benjamin Moore.

E got my posts mixed up

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The inspector was like "I haven't seen a house in this good of shape in a very long time" so :pray:

Also it's v close to my wife's job and incredibly close to pretty much every job I'm being considered for right now so plz dear god let me get out of retail

Tide posted:

Don't go cheap on paint, Mr NoSenseOfHumorGuy. I like Benjamin Moore.

We got sherwin Williams which is like $50/gallon so I hope it's good :mad:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tusen Takk posted:

We got sherwin Williams which is like $50/gallon so I hope it's good :mad:

SW is quite good, actually.

I use BM waterborne alkyd for white trim. Durability of an oil, but doesn't yellow after a year. Covers great and levels awesome. Also, 18" rolla 4 lyfe for walls. Saves so much time.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Tusen Takk posted:

The inspector was like "I haven't seen a house in this good of shape in a very long time" so :pray:

You got a pussy inspector or the seller got to them first.

My inspector had a Ken-level rage breakdown over a sliding door defect.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You got a pussy inspector or the seller got to them first.

My inspector had a Ken-level rage breakdown over a sliding door defect.

The seller was my cousin in law so if I find anything I can go yell at her :)

Tide posted:

SW is quite good, actually.

I use BM waterborne alkyd for white trim. Durability of an oil, but doesn't yellow after a year. Covers great and levels awesome. Also, 18" rolla 4 lyfe for walls. Saves so much time.

Yup, I got a few 18" rollers because I don't feel like taking forever to do this

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I don't mind painting all that much. Instant gratification thing. Except ceilings. When I scraped the ceilings in this house, then slicked them out, that was a nightmare. My shoulders were dead for a month.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Went to a Chinese buffet for dinner tonight for the first time in years. 2 small plates and I could barely finish the 2nd because I was so bloated from presumably msg. 5 hours later it still feels like I ate 8 plates I am so god drat uncomfortable.
Oh god never again.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm doing the ceilings tomorrow so I'll make sure to use my noodly arms to report back

:rip:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Hey chat thread, I spent August working my new job and not posting. Feeling pretty good about it although I'm still on contract. Everyone seems to like me okay and the work is challenging but not out of reach.

I finally pushed my C70 to the point of having the tiny stuff finished, like permanently installing a boost gauge and replacing the headlights, installing higher flow injectors and re-tuning to go with that. Cost me some money I don't have but the car is drat near perfect now, final cosmetic repairs commencing.

11 months unemployed has left a deep hole to dig out of, may as well enjoy some car treats along with it. And I'm working on Labor day, I've had enough days off this year.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm doing the ceilings tomorrow so I'll make sure to use my noodly arms to report back

:rip:

You scraping out the popcorn? poo poo is messy. I got it down mostly to a science but the water spray can be tricky. Juuuuuuuuust enough to keep the dust down, but not enough to cause if to slop off. Take the time to put plastic on the walls and floor then just throw it all away room by room

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Thank god a somehow got a house from the 70s with no drat popcorn hallelujah praise jesus

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Got 200 bucks back today when I noticed that home depot dropped the price even lower on the refrigerator we bought a few weeks ago. :cheers:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The big fun project I'm on at work is killing my will to live, mainly because my boss up and decided half way through I was going to achieve an automated warehouse-style system without any expensive automation. Bitch I've actually got a budget, let me do something with it. Other companies have perfected this poo poo decades ago, it's cheap, hell some of it comes with ten year warranties.

Then he asked me how two other smaller projects were going, that he'd never told me were mine, so apparently I'm 6 months behind on those. My progress review this week will be entertaining.

Where I work management get cycled round between divisions every few years, good point is you're not supposed to get stuck with a bad manager forever, bad point is new manager lacks technical knowledge and tries to enforce whatever worked in the previous dept regardless. My boss has somehow managed to stay in his position for nearly 18 years now and has said outright he won't let himself be moved or promoted. I've two colleagues with nowhere to go unless they quietly murder him and he stifles any innovation from the rest of us. In an understaffed engineering department. In a company that actually rewards "creative problem solving and challenging thinking" in our yearly appraisals.

Ugh.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 253 days!)

The 2006 9-3 ended up staying in the family. It's become a fighting point- one parent loves it, and one absolutely hates it (because he isn't allowed to touch it).

I picked up a '99 9-3 convertible in April that I intended to fix and flip for summer, which I haven't had a chance to get to. It needs a HG, and some general maintenance. I've been working for several months while on self-exile. I worked rather cheap to prove (to) myself, but when time came to ask for good pay, I was kicked to the curb while dealing with grandparental near-death full of cancer. Classy. I took the job to prove to myself that I could do menial tech work- and I can- but I'd rather wrench in the back yard, instead.

There are a '98 and '96 NG900 hatchback combo available locally that I'm sure I could get for about $200. The '98 has body rot, but a good drivetrain (:siren: with 400,000 miles :siren:), and the '96 is in great condition, but the tranny is shot.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tide posted:

Seriously. I actually just watched it earlier this week on a whim. Bits of it are getting dated but that movie is still loving funny.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

Holy crap. One of my blisters from the weekend before last had persisted in not healing and I couldn't figure out why. I was just prodding it when I realized there was another blister in the original blister. No wonder it's been so drat sensitive and hard to walk on. Yowch.

Hey dawg I heard you like blisters.

I think I have finally found a permanent aged care home spot for my dad

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tide posted:

I will double team him with you over this.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

88h88 posted:

I will double team him with you over this.

I don't think that's the kind of struggle he had in mind.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Minto Took posted:

Buy used. Private sales only.

gently caress dealerships and used car lots forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

New houses, new jobs, sounds like 2016 is doing okay.

And gently caress car dealers.

• Locked thread