Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Hey, you fuckers are alright. If you guys haven't had Zapp's Voodoo chips, you need to step up your chip game.

Edit: gently caress me, what a crap snipe. How about mustard preferences?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Also: Chips on the sandwich. Thoughts?

I used to do this all the time, but as part of trying to eat healthy/lose weight I don't keep bread or potato chips in the house.

I always liked it for the added crunch, going to have to do this the next time I get a sub for lunch.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Hey, you fuckers are alright. If you guys haven't had Zapp's Voodoo chips, you need to step up your chip game.

Edit: gently caress me, what a crap snipe. How about mustard preferences?
Those voodoo chips sound awesome. Zapp's around here is only had at places like Potbelly and they don't have any of the fun flavors.

Mustard? This fuckken poo poo right here.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
A sandwich is a food item consisting of one or more types of food, such asvegetables, sliced cheese or meat, placed on or between slices of bread, or more generally any dish wherein two or more pieces of bread serve as a container or wrapper for some other food. The sandwich was originally a portable food item or finger food which began to be popular in the Western World. Today sandwiches in various versions are found worldwide.

Quick facts: Main ingredients ...

Sandwiches are a popular type of lunch food, taken to work, school, or picnics to be eaten as part of a packed lunch. The bread can be used plain, or it can be coated with one or more condiments such as mayonnaise ormustard to enhance the flavours and texture. As well as being homemade, sandwiches are also widely sold in restaurants and cafes, and are sometimes served hot as well as cold.There are both savoury sandwiches, such asdeli meat sandwiches, and sweet sandwiches, such as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

The sandwich is considered to be thenamesake of John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, because of the claim that he was the eponymous inventor of this food combination. The Wall Street Journal has described it as Britain's "biggest contribution to gastronomy".

History

Salmon and cream cheese sandwiches on pieces ofbaguetteEnglish sandwiches, crustless on a plateSandwich with fried egg, tomato and cucumberOlive and red tomato sandwich

The modern concept of a sandwich using slices of bread (as found within the Western World) can arguably be traced to 18th century Europe. However, the use of some kind of bread or bread-like substance to lie under (or under and over) some other food, or used to scoop up and enclose or wrap some other type of food, long predates the 18th century, and is found in numerous much older cultures worldwide.

The ancient Jewish sage Hillel the Elder is said to have wrapped meat from the Paschal lamb and bitter herbs between two pieces of old-fashioned soft matzah—flat, unleavened bread—during Passover in the manner of a modern wrap made with flatbread. Flat breads of only slightly varying kinds have long been used to scoop or wrap small amounts of food en route from platter to mouth throughout Western Asia and northern Africa. From Morocco to Ethiopia to India, bread is baked in flat rounds, contrasting with the European loaf tradition.

During the Middle Ages in Europe, thick slabs of coarse and usually stale bread, called "trenchers", were used as plates. After a meal, the food-soaked trencher was fed to a dog or to beggars at the tables of the wealthy, and eaten by diners in more modest circumstances. The immediate culinary precursor with a direct connection to the English sandwich was to be found in the Netherlands of the 17th century, where the naturalist John Ray observed that in the taverns beef hung from the rafters "which they cut into thin slices and eat with bread and butter laying the slices upon the butter"— explanatory specifications that reveal the Dutch belegde broodje, open-faced sandwich, was as yet unfamiliar in England.

Initially perceived as food that men shared while gaming and drinking at night, the sandwich slowly began appearing in polite society as a late-night meal among thearistocracy. The sandwich's popularity in Spain and England increased dramatically during the 19th century, when the rise of industrial society and the working classes made fast, portable, and inexpensive meals essential.

It was at the same time that the European-style sandwich finally began to appear outside of Europe. In the United States, the sandwich was first promoted as an elaborate meal at supper. By the early 20th century, as bread became a staple of the American diet, the sandwich became the same kind of popular, quick meal as was already widespread in theMediterranean.

Etymology

The first written usage of the English word appeared in Edward Gibbon's journal, in longhand, referring to "bits of cold meat" as a "Sandwich". It was named after John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, an 18th-century English aristocrat. It is said that he ordered his valet to bring him meat tucked between two pieces of bread, and others began to order "the same as Sandwich!" It is commonly said that Lord Sandwich was fond of this form of food because it allowed him to continue playing cards, particularlycribbage, while eating, without using a fork, and without getting his cards greasy from eating meat with his bare hands.

The rumour in its familiar form appeared inPierre-Jean Grosley's Londres (Neuchâtel, 1770), translated as A Tour to London in 1772; Grosley's impressions had been formed during a year in London in 1765. The sober alternative is provided by Sandwich's biographer, N. A. M. Rodger, who suggests Sandwich's commitments to the navy, and to politics and the arts, mean the first sandwich was more likely to have been consumed at his desk.

Before being known as sandwiches, this food combination seems to simply have been known as "bread and meat" or "bread and cheese".

Usage

In the United States, a court in Boston, Massachusetts ruled that "sandwich" includes at least two slices of bread. and "under this definition, this court finds that the term 'sandwich' is not commonly understood to include burritos, tacos, and quesadillas, which are typically made with a single tortilla and stuffed with a choice filling of meat, rice, and beans." The issue stemmed from the question of whether a restaurant that sold burritos could move into a shopping centre where another restaurant had a no-compete clause in its lease prohibiting other "sandwich" shops.

In Spain, where the word sandwich isborrowed from the English language, it refers to a food item made with Englishsandwich bread. It is otherwise known as abocadillo.

In the United Kingdom and Australia, the term "sandwich" is more narrowly defined than in the US: it refers only to an item which uses sliced bread from a loaf. An item with similar fillings, but using an entire bread roll cut horizontally in half, is always referred to as a "roll". (In South Australia, there is a regional variant of the "roll", superficially similar to a club sandwich, where the bread roll is sliced three times (parallel cuts), and filling is put in the first and third openings, but not the second. This makes the resulting "double cut roll" easier to handle: the top half and the bottom half are eaten separately.) Any hot item based on a bread roll is referred to as a "burger", never as a "sandwich". However, hot sliced (not ground) beef between two slices of toasted bread is referred to as a "steak sandwich" - it is the sliced loaf bread that distinguishes the steak sandwich from a "burger".

The verb to sandwich has the meaning to position anything between two other things of a different character, or to place different elements alternately, and the noun sandwich has related meanings derived from this more general definition. For example, anice cream sandwich consists of a layer of ice cream between two layers of cake or biscuit. Similarly, Oreos and Custard Creams are described as sandwich biscuits because they consist of a soft filling between layers of biscuit.

The word "butty" (a reference to the fact that butter is often used in British sandwiches) is common in some northern parts of England as a slang synonym for "sandwich", particularly to refer to certain kinds of sandwiches including the chip butty, bacon butty, or sausage butty, though some people make the distinction that a butty is made using a single buttered slice, folded over rather than cut. "Sarnie" is a similar colloquialism. Likewise, the words "sanger" and "piece" are used for sandwich in Scottishdialect; regarding the latter, an example of the use of "piece" is "piece and ham", meaning "piece of bread and ham".

Varieties

Further information: List of sandwiches andList of American sandwiches

Among the many varieties of sandwich popular in the United States are the BLT,cheese sandwich, Club sandwich, Dagwood,French dip, hamburger, Monte Cristo,Muffuletta, pastrami on rye, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, cheesesteak, pilgrim, Po' boy,Reuben, sloppy joe, and submarine.

Hamburger

Reuben sandwich

Club sandwich

Croque-monsieur, a French ham and cheese hot sandwich

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich

A Philly cheese steak, a type of submarine sandwich

Smoked meat sandwich

French bread sandwich with fries

Sandwich making

Shawarma sandwich

Doner sandwich

Chicken breast sandwich

A meat and cheese sandwich with various toppings and a side dish of coleslaw

An open sandwich with smoked horse meat in the Netherlands

See also

Finger foodList of bread dishesList of sandwichesList of American sandwichesList of foodsPanino(also called panini)Sandwich cake (layer cake)Sandwiches de migaTramezzino

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Get out the fridge corn it's sandwich time

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You Am I posted:

I think I have finally found a permanent aged care home spot for my dad

I really hope this works out for you man.

Also :siren: VIGGEN :siren:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Lord help me, I'm looking at 90s imprezas on kijiji.

I miss my Outback Sport so much but don't buy that beige one that's sitting in a dude's driveway that he says has "a little knock" because it's been on that driveway for years.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

kastein posted:

This entire year has been loving awesome so far. I mean some poo poo has happened but I refuse to let it get me down.

Never expected to be engaged or even not-single until I finished the house and yet here I am.

How on earth did that happen?

I mean: I am very happy for you and wish you a wonderful life together, but how did you meet them? I thought you spent every hour of life rebuilding your house and tending to your large collection of vehicles.

Does she work for a building supply company, or sells hammers?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I miss my Outback Sport so much but don't buy that beige one that's sitting in a dude's driveway that he says has "a little knock" because it's been on that driveway for years.

After the whole SVX saga I'd have zero tolerance for drivetrain issues. I'm thinking the Scirocco's days are numbered at this point so I'm starting to keep an eye open for a new winter beater.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Phone posted:

Won't this be $Texas?

I'm looking to keep everything under $200 between paint and supplies. I'm also an insane person and want to do multiple colors.

It's archived but here's a thread with several AIer's experience doing cheap home paint jobs. Mine's in there too. I did Rustoleum on my MG and it's holding up great, but then again it's only been about a year and I keep it garaged all the time. It got a nasty paint chip when I had it hauled from CA to NM, but I just sanded it and then hit it with a light coat of spray-on Rustoleum every evening for a few days before doing a final wet sand. It's a pretty decent repair, I eventually had to stop adding paint because after a few layers and some sanding I couldn't tell where to put the paint any more.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

After the whole SVX saga I'd have zero tolerance for drivetrain issues. I'm thinking the Scirocco's days are numbered at this point so I'm starting to keep an eye open for a new winter beater.

Get something with an EJ22 and you can fix it by screaming at it semi-loudly. They're bulletproof little shitboxes.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Any suggestions for a cheap camera that can do short high-speed photography? I believe I saw Dave on EEVBLOG testing a Sony that had the feature. Relevant: I have three Dell switches that deserve only the finest 20 year old army-grade ammunition. I've spent 12 out of the 36 hours driving to a remote site, back to the office, home, again back to the site, and back to the office to rip out these glitchy bastards.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So since we're in the rust chat thread...

I want a beach vehicle... something lovely with 4wd that can handle sand and won't matter much if it vaporizes into rust or gets stucked out to sea.
Suggestions?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So since we're in the rust chat thread...

I want a beach vehicle... something lovely with 4wd that can handle sand and won't matter much if it vaporizes into rust or gets stucked out to sea.
Suggestions?

There's still plenty of old Cherokees out there. I just looked at one a week ago that had moderate rust but it was only $900.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Goddamn, if we're going to start this stupid poo poo I might as well. Beans in chilli yes/no?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Pintos only.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Beans in everything IMO

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Coredump posted:

Goddamn, if we're going to start this stupid poo poo I might as well. Beans in chilli yes/no?

Put beans in if you like them.

Sometimes I do, sometimes not.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
e: might as well. Beans go in chili, HOAs suck, guns are cool and fun, and I'm not going to bother to argue about any of this, if you disagree oh well have fun.

I have no opinion on burgers and hotdogs being sandwiches or not. They're good and I eat them, I don't care what you call them particularly.

spog posted:

How on earth did that happen?

I mean: I am very happy for you and wish you a wonderful life together, but how did you meet them? I thought you spent every hour of life rebuilding your house and tending to your large collection of vehicles.

Does she work for a building supply company, or sells hammers?

To be honest I wasn't really expecting it. Long story short, I went to a college friend's wedding. We had lived together right after college for like 2 years (not in any sort of a relationship), she moved to california and met a dude. I got invited to the wedding, hadn't gone to one in literally decades so I said what the hell, I'll go. She'd tried to introduce me to her dude's sister previously but said sister was 3 thousand miles away and I was like "wtf, no way that will work" and we both forgot the conversation even happened. Anyways, I go to the wedding and accidentally hit it off with her now sister-in-law, cleared my schedule and spent the entire week I was out there with her instead of meeting AI goons like I said I was going to (this was last fall when I went to California.) Turns out she was about to graduate college with an EE degree after escaping the drudgery of customer service and her lease was ending and she didn't have a job lined up yet, so she drove out here and moved in. Yes, after we'd known each other in person for a grand total of one week. We were a bit apprehensive but so far so good!

The really odd part? Her brother is an AI and TFR lurker. She used to be on SA too but hasn't bothered with the forums in years.

Related: we're going to be in Seattle from the 10th through the 18th for one of her friends weddings and should be up for dinner/junkyarding/random fun stuff with any local AI goons. I posted about this on the FB group but forgot to put it here too.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hot dogs are sandwiches, I have proof

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

69 year old student in my class. He begins presenting a tired argument in support of gun ownership with the "definition of a militia is..." and goes on to explain the origins of the American Revolution. I told him the counter argument is that we're a couple hundred years past that, the militia was proposed to prevent government overreach and if a well-regulated militia stood up to the government today, armed to the teeth with the finest weaponry allowed by whatever "law" you abide, it could still be crushed like a bug with a single drone strike.

He absolutely did not get my point and asked me to explain after class. :suicide:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
lol 69

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ5LpwO-An4

I try... all the time... in this institution.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

69 year old student in my class. He begins presenting a tired argument in support of gun ownership with the "definition of a militia is..." and goes on to explain the origins of the American Revolution. I told him the counter argument is that we're a couple hundred years past that, the militia was proposed to prevent government overreach and if a well-regulated militia stood up to the government today, armed to the teeth with the finest weaponry allowed by whatever "law" you abide, it could still be crushed like a bug with a single drone strike.

He absolutely did not get my point and asked me to explain after class. :suicide:

As if the Bundy's haven't finalized this lovely argument once and for all. 2nd Amendment is nice, but no, your little backyard militia isn't gonna overthrow the government.

And no, you are not Al Qaeda or ISIS. You are not that well trained.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

And no, you are not Al Qaeda or ISIS. You are not that well trained.

(or as well supplied with current US Military vehicles, weapons, gear and supplies that the US left in Iraq :drat: )

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

(or as well supplied with current US Military vehicles, weapons, gear and supplies that the US left in Iraq :drat: )

Or live in a land of endless civil war.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 279 days!)

meatpimp posted:

Followed by 12 posts in 18 hours. Yep, Viggen's back. :D

Thank god I have my personal assistant back to keep affairs in order- it was awful having to maintain things all on my lonesome. I want another Ferd 500 shirt, BTW- they cut the one off when I went on the copter.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Phone posted:

Won't this be $Texas?

I'm looking to keep everything under $200 between paint and supplies. I'm also an insane person and want to do multiple colors.

$30 a gallon, IIRC, or about $8 a quart.

Not bad at all.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Coredump posted:

That's a good way to get yourself lynched in TX.

I like both. But I do not like beans in my TX chili.

kastein posted:

e: might as well. Beans go in chili, HOAs suck, guns are cool and fun, and I'm not going to bother to argue about any of this, if you disagree oh well have fun.

I have no opinion on burgers and hotdogs being sandwiches or not. They're good and I eat them, I don't care what you call them particularly.

To be honest I wasn't really expecting it. Long story short, I went to a college friend's wedding. We had lived together right after college for like 2 years (not in any sort of a relationship), she moved to california and met a dude. I got invited to the wedding, hadn't gone to one in literally decades so I said what the hell, I'll go. She'd tried to introduce me to her dude's sister previously but said sister was 3 thousand miles away and I was like "wtf, no way that will work" and we both forgot the conversation even happened. Anyways, I go to the wedding and accidentally hit it off with her now sister-in-law, cleared my schedule and spent the entire week I was out there with her instead of meeting AI goons like I said I was going to (this was last fall when I went to California.) Turns out she was about to graduate college with an EE degree after escaping the drudgery of customer service and her lease was ending and she didn't have a job lined up yet, so she drove out here and moved in. Yes, after we'd known each other in person for a grand total of one week. We were a bit apprehensive but so far so good!

The really odd part? Her brother is an AI and TFR lurker. She used to be on SA too but hasn't bothered with the forums in years.

Related: we're going to be in Seattle from the 10th through the 18th for one of her friends weddings and should be up for dinner/junkyarding/random fun stuff with any local AI goons. I posted about this on the FB group but forgot to put it here too.

This is the cutest goddamn thing I have ever read in these forums :allears:

And yeah gently caress HOA

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 1, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

meatpimp posted:

That's because you don't have an argument. You have a smug talking point.

The militia likely couldn't have taken the government over at any point past 1800. This is not a new argument, nor a particularly interesting one, because by the point that we're openly drone striking armed partisans the bill of rights has ceased to be relevant in the slightest.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
God dammit, I said I wasn't going to argue. Whoops :ohdear:

I don't particularly think we have any chance against the military (and honestly, 99.9999% of people who suggest that kind of poo poo are crazy tinfoil hatters I mock on facebook) but it sure would be nice to have something to fight back against trump's angry mobs with, eh? Or if he doesn't win (which I doubt he will), the next one, because this problem is not going away, and his supporters will only come back angrier 4 years from now.

wikipedia, on the LA race riots posted:

Korean-Americans, seeing the law enforcement's abandonment of Koreatown, as police forces created lines of defense for places like Beverly Hills and West Hollywood instead (both cities are heavily linked to the American film industry and several movie stars and studios requested increased police presence)[citation needed], organized armed security teams composed of store owners, who defended their livelihoods from assault by the mobs. Open gun battles were televised, as in one well publicized incident where Korean shopkeepers armed with M1 carbines, pump action shotguns, and handguns exchanged gunfire with, broke up, and forced a retreat of a group of armed looters.[57]

I suspect Kristallnacht would have gone very differently if the targeted jews had been armed and able to defend themselves.

You'll never win against a government that wants you dead in this day and age, but they sure come in handy when mobs start terrorizing ordinary civilians... and they don't particularly increase the murder rate, nor decrease it, for that matter. Our murder rate is down 50% since the early 90s and continues to drop. Despite what you see on the news (whether right or left biased), the world in general, and the united states in particular, are safer than they have been in many decades and only getting safer... except when we decide to blow a few trillion killing a bunch of foreigners who didn't need to be killed every few years. We should do something about that.

So, I'm not really sure I see a point. It's wasted political capital that should be better spent fixing healthcare, dismantling the ridiculous TSA/DHS/NSA police state we're enthusiastically building, ending the drug war, and fixing the tax system.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is the cutest goddamn thing I have ever read in these forums :allears:

hahaha, yeah, like I said I never expected my life to take this particular turn. I had entirely given up on dating until the house was done and... whoops!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

That's because you don't have an argument. You have a smug talking point.

The militia likely couldn't have taken the government over at any point past 1800. This is not a new argument, nor a particularly interesting one, because by the point that we're openly drone striking armed partisans the bill of rights has ceased to be relevant in the slightest.

but, like, everyone stood up and clapped when he laid that sick talking point on the old man

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Heller and McDonald confirm that the second amendment is an individual right to keep and bear arms for traditionally lawful purposes; I think those decisions make the militia argument moot.

e.

Pham Nuwen posted:

but, like, everyone stood up and clapped when he laid that sick talking point on the old man

And that Marine's name? Albert Einstein.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Some good points. I'm not anti-gun, but I am anti-gun-nut, and anti-racist-using-gun-support-as-a-veil.

Over the past 30 years, the gun argument has changed from "our right to hunt/protect property" to a scaredy-cat "they're coming for me" where "they" is an unspecified, nebulous boogeyman. I guess I'm anti-gun-because-of-fear and more pro-gun as a tool.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Believe me, I'm far from caring what a bunch of late-teens, early-twenties students think of my thoughts and ideas. I suppress my personal views most of the time, but when someone is clearly right-wing talking point preaching, the counterargument usually brings the discussion back in line. :D

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 1, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

meatpimp posted:

Some good points. I'm not anti-gun, but I am anti-gun-nut, and anti-racist-using-gun-support-as-a-veil.

Over the past 30 years, the gun argument has changed from "our right to hunt/protect property" to a scaredy-cat "they're coming for me" where "they" is an unspecified, nebulous boogeyman. I guess I'm anti-gun-because-of-fear and more pro-gun as a tool.

All of that I can completely agree with.

e: as some of you have seen from my facebook rants and the crazy people who pop up in the comments threads, I was raised by crazy people. The list of crazy things they believed is longer than the list of sane things they believed, I think. I'm 100% OK with the idea that I might be wrong on a subject and have changed my position on many many things over the years, hell, my politics have changed a lot just in the last half decade. That being said, no one has ever given me anything to actually show me that I (well, we, I guess, given your post I just quoted) are wrong on this particular point. Prove me wrong and I'll gladly change my mind. In fact, I think last time we had this debate, I was still arguing that guns make people safer. My position now is that it really doesn't matter and has no statistical impact that would justify legal action.

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 1, 2016

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My favorite part is when you can tell the guy's nipples got a little hard writing it out: "Oh yeah, your puny little militia will be crushed by our strong tanks, god those treads squeezing the blood from your pulped body FFFFFFFFFF yeah your tiny dick-pistols got nothing on drone strikes, oooooh drone strike *me*, Obama-senpai!"

edit: forgot how to spell senpai, how embarassing

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Pham Nuwen posted:

My favorite part is when you can tell the guy's nipples got a little hard writing it out: "Oh yeah, your puny little militia will be crushed by our strong tanks, god those treads squeezing the blood from your pulped body FFFFFFFFFF yeah your tiny dick-pistols got nothing on drone strikes, oooooh drone strike *me*, Obama-sempai!"

As is my point in class -- current discussions are little more than "one extreme or the other," all-or-nothing pissing, instead of an actual discussion. Thanks for proving my point.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
im not sure what the past 15 years has shown you that makes you think the US military would be effective at all against widespread insurrection in the US

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

go3 posted:

im not sure what the past 15 years has shown you that makes you think the US military would be effective at all against widespread insurrection in the US

My favourite part would be the hamhanded attempts at trying to win hearts and minds by dropping from airplanes pallet after pallet of untraceable black-budget cash in Canada by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My favourite part would be the hamhanded attempts at trying to win hearts and minds by dropping from airplanes pallet after pallet of untraceable black-budget cash in Canada by accident.

I grew up near a military firing range that used to stretch even further, over sparsely populated farmland, and along with untrained WWII pilots crashing their P-38s in fields or dumping huge loads of .50 cal empties on the way back to the airstrip, I guess every once in a while they'd gently caress up a practice drop and parachute a Jeep into someone's back yard.

Although the C-130s continue to fly directly over the family farm to this day, they have yet to drop any vehicles for us.

• Locked thread