Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
The Biggest change to yank gun laws I would make would be a safe requirement to stop kiddos and burglarists from getting them so easily (you can even have one of those clancytastic fingerprint safes next to your bed). Unless you want to count that no computers doing traces at that atf office that handles all the files from out of business gun dealerships.

If the government wants to take your guns it will, centralized records or not, the nsa has unprecedented access to your poo poo and its only getting worse.

On another note, saw another i8 in traffic and I would like to make an address to the 911 market:

Ahem, please buy one of these instead of a 911 I know its not as sharp to drive but if you buy a new 911 you quite probably spend a lot of time stuck in traffic and for the rest of us a bmw i8 is infinitely more exciting to look at and as a bonus the i8 is the only supercar that both my mum and girlfriend think they are amazing and every girl i know thinks porsches are for douchebags.
In short: Buy a sweet tronmobile instead of the boring choices you tasteless yuppies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ever watch project binky? They make genius level fabrication look so easy. It makes me want to do things.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

The Biggest change to yank gun laws I would make would be a safe requirement to stop kiddos and burglarists from getting them so easily (you can even have one of those clancytastic fingerprint safes next to your bed). Unless you want to count that no computers doing traces at that atf office that handles all the files from out of business gun dealerships.

Eh, I like the idea, but at the same time it presents a lot of problems in the enforcement, as enforcing storage requirements necessitates both a record of who has weapons, kept updated for current addresses, and some variety of inspection authority. Firearms ownership should not be probable cause to have the cops drop by whenever to see what you have lying around your house in the process of 'inspecting your storage'.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Previa_fun posted:

RIP Ducky Shine 3. You were no match for a cat and a glass of water.

I dug this old cheapass Logitech keyboard out of the closet and typing feels gross as heck. Just ordered a Shine 5 (brown switches natch) to replace the dead keyboard.

So what are you doing with that dead shine3?

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

Liquid Communism posted:

Eh, I like the idea, but at the same time it presents a lot of problems in the enforcement, as enforcing storage requirements necessitates both a record of who has weapons, kept updated for current addresses, and some variety of inspection authority. Firearms ownership should not be probable cause to have the cops drop by whenever to see what you have lying around your house in the process of 'inspecting your storage'.

I was thinking a license for ownership would require an initial inspection by either a safe installer or a cop or a home inspector, one of the main criticisms i have for the australian gun laws were that the police got mad overwhelmed initially and having the cops around to inspect is a bit uncomfortable. Perhaps with a legal framework for prosecuting people when kids got their hands on a gun when they shouldn't have. The police cant enforce every road law but as a whole people drive sensibly because they dont want to die and because if something bad happens (you crash) the cops will nail you to the wall. My biggest concern would be that the police would probably racially profile poor black gun enthusiasts who are, despite how you feel about the 2nd amendment, exercising their constitutional rights.
I don't think a safe is strictly necessary, i forgot how many guns you yanks tend to have :), I think a lockable closet or whatever with a sturdy door would solve most issues with stolen guns and kids getting their hands on them.

A bunch of kids died every year in swimming pools we then put up requirements for pool fencing. If you want to have a pool (you really don't, convince a family member to get one instead) you can have a pool but it keeps the kids out.
Same reason i like storage requirements for guns whether it be a purpose built safe or a sturdy closet, keep the fun shotguns/assault rifles/handguns/anti-materiel rifles but stop the kids getting access.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

It's not a batter of 'mad uncomfortable' here so much as our police establishment having a long history of using any opportunity as an excuse to try to make drug busts happen, because anything they happen to see while in your home/vehicle on lawful business will hold up in court as reason for a search.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

Same reason i like storage requirements for guns whether it be a purpose built safe or a sturdy closet, keep the fun shotguns/assault rifles/handguns/anti-materiel rifles but stop the kids getting access.

I don't think you understand the mentality of the average gun nut in the US.

This kind of requirement would never, ever see the light of day because *rattles off at least 15 scenarios in which locking up most of your arsenal will result in a swift death*

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

Geoj posted:

I don't think you understand the mentality of the average gun nut in the US.

This kind of requirement would never, ever see the light of day because *rattles off at least 15 scenarios in which locking up most of your arsenal will result in a swift death*

OK I might have to give you that one, the only gun-nuts I know are Australian. Is there a freep for these people because I need some more light reading.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Anyone in Seattle need some sweet garage storage?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/tls/5759792730.html

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
My wife has never watched BTTF.

She thinks it's dumb now that we're watching it

:(

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I was pulling out onto a side street (on my bike, so heard the exchange fairly clearly). The mid-2000s Explorer in front of me went too early, forcing a similar vintage Focus to slam on the brakes. The Focus honked and the driver yelled "gently caress you, rear end in a top hat!"

The Explorer driver rolls down the window and says, "What?! gently caress you!.... Nice shitbox you got there!" Imagine a townie Boston accent if you can.
At this point, I can't help but go "Ohhhhhhhhh!"

The Focus driver just goes, "What?" but the Explorer has driven off.

Still, pretty hilarious for the owner of an Explorer to have such a complex about lesser cars.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So what are you doing with that dead shine3?

Do you want it? Currently the plan is "shove it in the junk closet."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iwentdoodie posted:

I'll grab a shovel and be out front in 20 minutes.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

iwentdoodie posted:

:sever: I've been meaning to use that smilie :buddy:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

iwentdoodie posted:

I dunno, it's a decent film but I don't get why it gets hyped up so much. They showed it at a local theatre a couple years ago and I spent a third of the film yelling out that Marty should just push start the Deloreon.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

the spyder posted:

Anyone in Seattle need some sweet garage storage?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/tls/5759792730.html

I'd take one if I could get to Tacoma soon enough

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
God even I can't stand gun chat itt anymore

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

1500quidporsche posted:

I dunno, it's a decent film but I don't get why it gets hyped up so much. They showed it at a local theatre a couple years ago and I spent a third of the film yelling out that Marty should just push start the Deloreon.

I don't remember off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure the engine ran fine in the first one, they needed power from the nuclear reactor/lightning to fuel the time travel system, which is just a wee bit harder to improvise.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Holy poo poo the fn fiveseven is expensive. $1300 for a loving pistol?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

Is there a freep for these people because I need some more light reading.

Arfcom?

Enourmo posted:

I don't remember off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure the engine ran fine in the first one, they needed power from the nuclear reactor/lightning to fuel the time travel system, which is just a wee bit harder to improvise.

Near the end, he goes to start it in order to get the lightning timing right, and it won't crank. Marty freaks out and has a crisis then it just magically starts, I think?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Gotta love working at night. I heard a rustle, looked over and saw a skunk about 4 feet from me with his tail up. I loving booked it. That woulda been a lovely week for me.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

New season of Narcos on Netflix.

Time to keep a brush and pan next to the tv to clear out the dead bodies from each episode

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

You Am I posted:

New season of Narcos on Netflix.

Time to keep a brush and pan next to the tv to clear out the dead bodies from each episode

You mean time to get an 8 ball.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

MX greens, or death

What do these feel like? I like cherry mx blues and I like IBM buckling springs so I think I would like this but I'm a little worried that these would be too loud. I would like to take them to work.

I also was the rear end in a top hat with a IBM model m at work. Nobody complained about the sound though. I now have cherry mx blues though.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So I got a dude barkin' at me about the bench seat I have on craigslist but he only wants to talk on the phone. Being a goon, I obviously want to avoid as much interaction as possible, but he's pretty stubborn about the phone call. What do you guys normally do for people like this?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So I got a dude barkin' at me about the bench seat I have on craigslist but he only wants to talk on the phone. Being a goon, I obviously want to avoid as much interaction as possible, but he's pretty stubborn about the phone call. What do you guys normally do for people like this?

do you want to sell the seat?

If 'yes', then call him
If 'no', then do not call him

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

La Croix sparkling water is the poo poo. I've completely replaced soda with this stuff.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I talk on the phone because its just a phone call.

Previa_fun posted:

La Croix sparkling water is the poo poo. I've completely replaced soda with this stuff.

Replacing soda with La Croix = good
Replacing tap water with La Croix = wallet pain

epic bird guy fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 2, 2016

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

kastein posted:

To be honest I wasn't really expecting it. Long story short, I went to a college friend's wedding. We had lived together right after college for like 2 years (not in any sort of a relationship), she moved to california and met a dude. I got invited to the wedding, hadn't gone to one in literally decades so I said what the hell, I'll go. She'd tried to introduce me to her dude's sister previously but said sister was 3 thousand miles away and I was like "wtf, no way that will work" and we both forgot the conversation even happened. Anyways, I go to the wedding and accidentally hit it off with her now sister-in-law, cleared my schedule and spent the entire week I was out there with her instead of meeting AI goons like I said I was going to (this was last fall when I went to California.) Turns out she was about to graduate college with an EE degree after escaping the drudgery of customer service and her lease was ending and she didn't have a job lined up yet, so she drove out here and moved in. Yes, after we'd known each other in person for a grand total of one week. We were a bit apprehensive but so far so good!
That's amazing :3:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

His reaction was almost :vince: of course it was in jest but he was definitely not expecting a response like that. Pretty much I think guns are neat to go plink with and realize that the need to use them for :airquote:protection:airquote: is never going to happen. I have no interest in hunting because field dressing an animal sounds :barf:
I like guns for plinking because it's fun, defense yeah probably not going to happen. Girlfriend wants to do the concealed carry class with me and has talked about going shotgun shopping, both sound like fun to me. It still weirds me out a bit seeing people open carry but it seems to be getting more common

ExplodingSims posted:

So, on the recommendation of people on the radio, I started watching The Get Down on Netflix. My God, that show is incredible.
Another one added to the list. Trying not to spend too much time on the couch while it's reasonably nice out (for TN) but this winter we have a huge list to get through.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ahW9308f7A
This one is Osama Bin Magpie and he's a well known terrorist that has been known to crash cyclist packs and lead to a line of ambulances for injured riders - AND when they got the order to shoot the oval office, the prick flew to the local McDonalds as it worked out no one will shoot it when it's near there until the gun disappeared and the next cyclist comes into range to get mauled
Ah Australia, never change

Elmnt80 posted:

Go shoot one or a kimber...drat. I like my boring tupperware glock but there are some guns out there that are just so much better to shoot.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Previa_fun posted:

I lost it forever since I wiped my computer this week, but there's a hilarious Gadsden flag meme with WWF Superstar Undertaker holding a (giant) can with "Don't tread on my Pamplemousse La Croix".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

spog posted:

do you want to maybe sell the seat?

Fixed because Craigslist. But if it's the only way he'll work with you, call him.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Anybody still care about book club? Probably not cuz you're all illiterate morons but you should read Aquarium by David Vann okay bye

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm reading The Sympathizer.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

I'm reading The Sympathizer.

Ive heard that's good. It's on my list, won an award recently???

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

Fixed because Craigslist. But if it's the only way he'll work with you, call him.

Yeah, I guess I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and call the guy.

Apparently he's in Michigan somewhere but if he's willing to haul his rear end out here I guess I can do him that courtesy.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

fridge corn posted:

Anybody still care about book club? Probably not cuz you're all illiterate morons but you should read Aquarium by David Vann okay bye

I am unable to read or write, its true.

Wait

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I talk on the phone because its just a phone call.

Replacing soda with La Croix = good
Replacing tap water with La Croix = wallet pain

I drink a good amount of tap water for the :tinfoil: mind control chemicals :tinfoil: too, but sometimes crave a fizzy drink. It's still cheaper than soda, though, at least at my store.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i just got an offer for a test engineer job so GOODBYE RETAIL HELLO BROKEN CODE :getin:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Tusen Takk posted:

i just got an offer for a test engineer job so GOODBYE RETAIL HELLO BROKEN CODE :getin:

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Elmnt80 posted:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Go shoot one or a kimber...drat. I like my boring tupperware glock but there are some guns out there that are just so much better to shoot.

Eh. I owned a Kimber, and it was really nice. I owned a FiveseveN and it was just okay. Really neat engineering, but the 5.7mm round isn't good for self defense and is way too expensive for a range toy. Bulk ammo was costing me something like $8/magazine at the time, and I felt bad about blowing all that money downrange.

• Locked thread