Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

My community college Poli Sci professor (going back like 7 years or something) asked our class who owned a firearm. I raised my hand. He asked who owned more than one, my hand stayed raised.

When he asked the reason for why I owned more than one I simply shrugged and said 'I've got two hands'

His reaction was almost :vince: of course it was in jest but he was definitely not expecting a response like that. Pretty much I think guns are neat to go plink with and realize that the need to use them for :airquote:protection:airquote: is never going to happen. I have no interest in hunting because field dressing an animal sounds :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My community college Poli Sci professor (going back like 7 years or something) asked our class who owned a firearm. I raised my hand. He asked who owned more than one, my hand stayed raised.

When he asked the reason for why I owned more than one I simply shrugged and said 'I've got two hands'

His reaction was almost :vince: of course it was in jest but he was definitely not expecting a response like that. Pretty much I think guns are neat to go plink with and realize that the need to use them for :airquote:protection:airquote: is never going to happen. I have no interest in hunting because field dressing an animal sounds :barf:

I've always viewed hunting as more a pleasant walk in the woods followed by a relaxing, contemplative sit. Partly because I am not confident enough in my ability to down an animal in one shot and I won't take the shot if I can't be sure it won't die of bleeding out. I have butchered animals before, though. It's really not bad and I personally believe that if I'm going to eat meat, I must be willing to see the process through from start to finish at least occasionally (i.e. I'm not going to butcher a drat cow every time I want steak).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm not much on guns personally - but it's more because I know I have a really bad temper. It takes a LOT to bring it out, but when my temper comes out to play, all rational thought is out the window. I'm concerned I would do something stupid to someone (or myself).

I don't give a poo poo if someone owns handguns or shotguns, they're fun to go plink with as Somewhat Heroic said. I take issue with someone having their own personal arsenal though, and I do think we need stricter laws on firearms.

If I had a gun right now my car would probably be full of bullet holes. Why the gently caress does a loving radiator fan have to come out from the bottom?!? WHY?!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

RIP Ducky Shine 3. You were no match for a cat and a glass of water.

I dug this old cheapass Logitech keyboard out of the closet and typing feels gross as heck. Just ordered a Shine 5 (brown switches natch) to replace the dead keyboard.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
How cheap are parts for the 2005+ mustangs? Looking for cheap RWD V8 cars to replace a motorcycle in the fun department

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Previa_fun posted:

RIP Ducky Shine 3. You were no match for a cat and a glass of water.

I dug this old cheapass Logitech keyboard out of the closet and typing feels gross as heck. Just ordered a Shine 5 (brown switches natch) to replace the dead keyboard.

Hell yeah mechanical keyboard club. How do you like the browns? I generally like more of a click (white complicated alps are what I'm most familiar with) so I haven't really tried browns. I guess browns with an O-ring would be the best for a situation where you had to moderate your noise output?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I used to be the a-hole in the cubicle farm with the blue switches. People got so mad :allears:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
If I pay $160 for a keyboard it better be cat and waterproof. Wtf.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Laughing at all the non Australians staring in boggle eyed wonder at the hawk which attacked a family by dropping a live snake on them - That is literally one of the tamest things birds here do.

Wait till you walk into the territory of a Magpie then get back to me on bird out to kill human horror. They even know how to hide from shotgun wielding bleeding and face ripped off humans and WILL ambush said human again.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Raluek posted:

Hell yeah mechanical keyboard club. How do you like the browns? I generally like more of a click (white complicated alps are what I'm most familiar with) so I haven't really tried browns. I guess browns with an O-ring would be the best for a situation where you had to moderate your noise output?

My Shine 3 had the browns without the O-ring and I never felt like the keyboard was too loud, personally. The brown switches have a less pronounced "click" than the blues though, and are advertised as a middle of the road switch for both typing and gaming. While I'm not sure how much my gaming ability improved (lol pc gaming advertising is so goddamn stupid) typing feel and accuracy is amazing. For this reason I waffled on switching to blues/greens/white etc. but I'm used to the browns by now so I figured I'd stick to those.

Astonishing Wang posted:

If I pay $160 for a keyboard it better be cat and waterproof. Wtf.

To paraphrase AI: Nice to type on, cat and waterproof, cheap. Pick two. For mechanical keyboards, pick one. :v:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I do not miss magpies nor loving lorikeets waking me up at the crack of dawn

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

In other news I'm off word today due to working this Saturday and decided to go bomb around in the Miata for a bit. Goddamn that's a fun car to row through the gears in.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

scuz posted:

I used to be the a-hole in the cubicle farm with the blue switches. People got so mad :allears:

I had buckling springs in my cube. I was THAT guy. I'm still THAT guy but now I have my blues.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

We should issue firearms to all black communities presided over by overwhelmingly white police forces. :v:

Why yes, I'm bored and want to see an arguement. I'm stuck at work for the next 3 1/2 hours because "hurricane" isn't a good enough reason to close early.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
MX greens, or death

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Elmnt80 posted:

We should issue firearms to all black communities presided over by overwhelmingly white police forces. :v:

Why yes, I'm bored and want to see an arguement. I'm stuck at work for the next 3 1/2 hours because "hurricane" isn't a good enough reason to close early.

That's probably not going to get a ton of argument from SA gun owners. Besides, it worked for the Black Panthers, up until Reagan enacted some ridiculously strict gun control in California specifically because of them: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/09/the-secret-history-of-guns/308608/

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

Lorikeets are nice birdies. Magpies are straight out murderous cunts

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

I really hope this works out for you man.
Thanks, hopefully it's third time lucky. It's strange that dad lived in the same house for 40 odd years, but has been moved to 4 different places during the past 12 months.

Tusen Takk posted:

Magpies are nice in the morning.

Now loving sulphur crested cockatoos are another thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K1MbUJdQy0

A gently caress load of those in trees next to your bedroom window is pure hell

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Coredump posted:

I had buckling springs in my cube. I was THAT guy. I'm still THAT guy but now I have my blues.

Model M in a cube :hfive:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Pham Nuwen posted:

That's probably not going to get a ton of argument from SA gun owners. Besides, it worked for the Black Panthers, up until Reagan enacted some ridiculously strict gun control in California specifically because of them: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/09/the-secret-history-of-guns/308608/

"Ridiculously strict" is not being able to open carry a loaded firearm in public (Mulford Act)? :thumbsup:

Don't forget, the god of the Republican Right, Reagan, also took away machine guns.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

go3 posted:

im not sure what the past 15 years has shown you that makes you think the US military would be effective at all against widespread insurrection in the US
And a small group storming the capital building would be pretty effective too. And depending on what sparked said insurrection there's no guarantee the military sides with the gov in the first place. Worst case would be civil war type thing within the military.

As to the political issue: The [U.S. political] left has had complete confiscation as their goal for 50 years. Saying otherwise is bull poo poo. We can argue over how long they've wanted it, but not over the fact that incrementalism to confiscation is their exact goal.

And on the legal side lets see the left supporting (paid-fee) background checks and fingerprinting requirements for press credentials with a 10 day waiting period and a 1 interview per month limit, with specific limits on topic coverage and microphone size limits and going into a national database as constitutional.

And if you want a megaphone its a $200 fee plus an in depth background check and having to have your local law enforcement sign off that you aren't crazy and a 6-12 month wait and still not being able to cross state lines with it without another form going to the government and having to have your full name engraved on the megaphone with specific engraving requirements and having to carry your stamped paperwork proving you did all of the above and if you lose said stamped paperwork mere possession of said megaphone is a $10k and 10 year felony. And if it breaks you can't possess spare parts or in many cases get it repaired, you have to do the whole thing over again.

But requiring ID to vote is loving unconstitutional as poo poo.

<sorry for the rant>

Elmnt80 posted:

I'd *almost* like to see a minimum weapons safety/familiarization course, and gun ownership requirement for everybody. Explicitly legal under the "well regulated militia" clause the left likes to quote, and with a $1000 non-compliance tax fee penalty [whatever will make it legal] shoved up their rear end too just because. Its a bad idea for a whole host of reasons, but seeing the anti's try to turn around their own arguments would be amusing.

Pham Nuwen posted:

There is a real argument to the saying that the only difference between a slave and a free man is the right to own weapons. Minority communities should be huge gun rights proponents (we saw a glimmer of this after the Orlando shooting). But overwhelmingly they're not, primarily due to the effects of drugs and the drug war. Pity.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 2, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It was just raining sideways and some jackoff asked if we could swap the battery in his 2013 lexus gs350. He seemed really confused as to why I was politely declining saying water and electricity mixing with your hands in there was an unacceptable risk to the employee. He's been driving like that for 2 days and thought this was the best time to get it changed. :fuckoff:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Can a 12v battery really do any damage when switching cables and stuff like that? As long as you are controlling the cables to make sure they don't clank into anything they shouldn't then it's plenty safe, right?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Previa_fun posted:

My Shine 3 had the browns without the O-ring and I never felt like the keyboard was too loud, personally. The brown switches have a less pronounced "click" than the blues though, and are advertised as a middle of the road switch for both typing and gaming. While I'm not sure how much my gaming ability improved (lol pc gaming advertising is so goddamn stupid) typing feel and accuracy is amazing. For this reason I waffled on switching to blues/greens/white etc. but I'm used to the browns by now so I figured I'd stick to those.

My understanding is that most of the sound from the browns isn't the actual switch, but the key bottoming out. The o-ring softens that impact, but won't do anything to whatever sound the switch itself makes. So if you don't bottom out very hard, you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Astonishing Wang posted:

Can a 12v battery really do any damage when switching cables and stuff like that? As long as you are controlling the cables to make sure they don't clank into anything they shouldn't then it's plenty safe, right?

I'm going to guess that the real reason is "we're a parts store, not a repair shop, I'm not making a guy that has to work a register the rest of the day get soaked to the bone to change your battery".

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

meatpimp posted:

"Ridiculously strict" is not being able to open carry a loaded firearm in public (Mulford Act)? :thumbsup:

With open carry off the table, the only legal way to bear arms in California was concealed carry. In California, the issuance of a concealed carry permit is subject to the approval of local law enforcement, who decide if there is "sufficient cause" to issue the permit. There are no true guidelines determining sufficient cause; in rural counties, it can be pretty easy to get a permit. In densely-populated areas, the only people who get permits are judges, celebrities, and people who donated enough to the Sheriff's election campaign.

How many concealed carry permits do you think the Oakland Police Department issued to black people, when the Black Panther Party was formed in large part in response to the abuses of that very police department?

So yeah, I'd call a law that effectively strips a constitutional right pretty ridiculous.

Edit: I'm sorry, IOC. I know better than to argue guns in AI, I'm just :spergin: sometimes

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 2, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

quote:

The left has had complete confiscation as their goal for 50 years

You think the US has a left. How cute.

Meanwhile the right wing Howard took dem guns away in Australia and Regean took away dem guns meanwhile Obama has been a right pansy about gun control and guns have proliferated in the USA under his watch. Enough with the left is evil gun grabber bullshit.

quote:

Magpies are nice in the morning.

Not when they are in murder every human mode

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You think the US has a left. How cute.

Meanwhile the right wing Howard took dem guns away in Australia and Regean took away dem guns meanwhile Obama has been a right pansy about gun control and guns have proliferated in the USA under his watch. Enough with the left is evil gun grabber bullshit.

Not when they are in murder every human mode

Why do you feed the troll. Why.

I work on a loving marine base and that's still more right wing than poo poo I hear at work.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Why does the whole idiot world insist on writing "Tobasco sauce" when it has the proper spelling in huge letters on every bottle?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Pham Nuwen posted:

With open carry off the table, the only legal way to bear arms in California was concealed carry. In California, the issuance of a concealed carry permit is subject to the approval of local law enforcement, who decide if there is "sufficient cause" to issue the permit. There are no true guidelines determining sufficient cause; in rural counties, it can be pretty easy to get a permit. In densely-populated areas, the only people who get permits are judges, celebrities, and people who donated enough to the Sheriff's election campaign.

How many concealed carry permits do you think the Oakland Police Department issued to black people, when the Black Panther Party was formed in large part in response to the abuses of that very police department?

So yeah, I'd call a law that effectively strips a constitutional right pretty ridiculous.

Edit: I'm sorry, IOC. I know better than to argue guns in AI, I'm just :spergin: sometimes

You're conflating history to make a more histrionic point than there is. Reagan got rid of open carry loaded in '67. THAT'S what you said was "ridiculously strict." It wasn't until '12 that open carry at all became law.

And since I started gun chat, here's my offer to help change the topic:

A glass cylinder head:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrWpF6YiSDs

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 2, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Lorikeets are nice birdies. Magpies are straight out murderous cunts

Magpies must be different for you guys than us, because while they are gang-like garbage birds who eat roadkill and swarm people they are also very smart and generally leave you alone if you're not a dick.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

meanwhile Obama has been a right pansy about gun control and guns have proliferated in the USA under his watch. Enough with the left is evil gun grabber bullshit.
Obama didn't manage to do anything because they millions of Americans are single issue voters and the last time they passed an assault weapons bans they lost congress for many years as the public backlash. And even mentioning it is a big part of what caused them to lose congress again.

The US political right is pro-gun and the US political left is anti-. Stop arguing semantics.

iwentdoodie posted:

Why do you feed the troll. Why.

I work on a loving marine base and that's still more right wing than poo poo I hear at work.
LOL.

I'm also pro- gay marriage and pro-choice and pro path to citizenship. Figure that one out.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ilkhan posted:

LOL.

I'm also pro- gay marriage and pro-choice and pro path to citizenship. Figure that one out.

And I'm super left wing but own multiple guns and hunt. What's your point? It's possible to own guns without pushing fear mongering poo poo head Facebook talking points like they're fact, and dividing everything into black and white like that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You Am I posted:

Thanks, hopefully it's third time lucky. It's strange that dad lived in the same house for 40 odd years, but has been moved to 4 different places during the past 12 months.

I'm dreading the day one of my parents has to be put into a care facility. Thankfully both of them are very healthy currently and have rather large nest eggs to draw upon if they need it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

This entire year has been loving awesome so far. I mean some poo poo has happened but I refuse to let it get me down.

Never expected to be engaged or even not-single until I finished the house and yet here I am.

Also that's not my jeep, it's just a random 96 or earlier XJ I found on facebook.

Dammit, who messed up your avatar? I paid good money for that little wheelie Jeep.

iwentdoodie posted:

Went to the grocery store. Stopped at a red light, and watch three spandex warriors in full tuck pretending to be the one balled wonder blow the light.

Welp too bad for them a cop was about half a block down, and actually loving stopped them.

When I went back by about thirty minutes later, two more cars were there, they were all in the backseats, and their bikes had been shoved into the trunk of a squad car.

Maybe there is a god.

I have been waiting my entire adult life to see just that. It's cathartic just to hear it. You want to have the same privileges as motor vehicle? You follow the same goddamned laws. I have nothing against cyclist as a group, but nothing ticks me off more than people who get away with breaking rules while I have to follow them.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, on the recommendation of people on the radio, I started watching The Get Down on Netflix. My God, that show is incredible.

Just finished the series and the last episode loving killed it. I don't know what dark voodoo Netflix has been working, but they've seriously been knocking it out of the park with their shows.

AI content: TGD has some incredible pimpmobiles. in it. So much orange velvet.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm going to guess that the real reason is "we're a parts store, not a repair shop, I'm not making a guy that has to work a register the rest of the day get soaked to the bone to change your battery".

Soaking wet and 30mph wind gusts. Yeah, gently caress that. I wasn't doing it, so I sure as gently caress am not asking one of my guys to do it if I won't. The liability line just works better than telling them no without some vaguely corporate bullshit behind it.

Edit: also, holy poo poo the idiots are out. Someone brought back an alternator core that looked like it had spent a week in a burn pit, then was offended I wouldn't take it. "They can clean that up and repaint it easy!" "Dude, its missing a chunk of the metal case the size of my fist, no they can't."

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 2, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

And I'm super left wing but own multiple guns and hunt. What's your point? It's possible to own guns without pushing fear mongering poo poo head Facebook talking points like they're fact, and dividing everything into black and white like that.
Then you disagree with the US political left aligned party, but its still true.

Its not a slippery slope, I'll give you that. Policy A doesn't lead to B lead to C leads to confiscation. But the left only pushes policy C because they can't get C or B or confiscation. Its incrementalism.

Darchangel posted:

I have been waiting my entire adult life to see just that. It's cathartic just to hear it. You want to have the same privileges as motor vehicle? You follow the same goddamned laws. I have nothing against cyclist as a group, but nothing ticks me off more than people who get away with breaking rules while I have to follow them.
I'll sometimes jump the light, but only after looking. If they blew the light without being able to look thats stupid in addition to illegal. Good cop.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ilkhan posted:

The US political right is pro-gun and the US political left is anti-. Stop arguing semantics.

Stop it with the left / right nonsense. The USA simply put dont know what left mean. Your political system has stupid and more stupid with the Republicans well and truly on the Even More Stupid side of the ledger

quote:

Then you disagree with the US political left aligned party, but its still true.

You simply do not have a left aligned party. Bernie Sanders himself is centre right at best and barely considered sane elsewhere in the Western hemisphere, THAT's how skewed the US actually is.

quote:

Magpies must be different for you guys than us, because while they are gang-like garbage birds who eat roadkill and swarm people they are also very smart and generally leave you alone if you're not a dick.

Aust Magpies are very different birds. They are not Corvids like other Magpies, they are butcherbirds aka Cracticinae along with other Aust Butcherbirds and the larger Currawongs. While they can look and be as sizable as crows, they arent. Like Euro Magpies, they are immensley talented songbirds and also very good mimics. Also extremely intelligent and very good memory, they can and do id humans and will selectively attack and vary their viciousness depending on the human.

Usually they are happy to leave humans alone but in the breeding season, about 9% of males get hyper aggressive and will attack with various degrees of ferocity and can mob predators and slay them. About September is the ehight of the season where Magpies go from wonderful songbirds to feathered maulers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ahW9308f7A

This one is Osama Bin Magpie and he's a well known terrorist that has been known to crash cyclist packs and lead to a line of ambulances for injured riders - AND when they got the order to shoot the oval office, the prick flew to the local McDonalds as it worked out no one will shoot it when it's near there until the gun disappeared and the next cyclist comes into range to get mauled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

• Locked thread