Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

ilkhan posted:

Good news / bad news: I remembered my car's registration was due, before it was due.

Same. It counts when registration expires today right? And I'm already home and don't want to go back out but probably will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

My community college Poli Sci professor (going back like 7 years or something) asked our class who owned a firearm. I raised my hand. He asked who owned more than one, my hand stayed raised.

When he asked the reason for why I owned more than one I simply shrugged and said 'I've got two hands'

His reaction was almost :vince: of course it was in jest but he was definitely not expecting a response like that. Pretty much I think guns are neat to go plink with and realize that the need to use them for :airquote:protection:airquote: is never going to happen. I have no interest in hunting because field dressing an animal sounds :barf:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

My wife has never watched BTTF.

She thinks it's dumb now that we're watching it

:(

:sever: I've been meaning to use that smilie :buddy:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

I spent like five minutes in the store then just walked out and went back home

Oh well.

This is me at just about any store right now because I'm in full on saving mode and I'm so close to my goal of a new(er) car that nothing else sounds appealing.

I'm checking my autotrader searches at least every other day to see if anything new has popped up. If I was willing to bend on what exactly I want I could probably get something within a month. If I'm patient (and smarter) it'll be at the beginning of the year I start my search. I keep telling myself it's only ~4 months and I need to wait but drat it's hard.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Am I first to post? https://youtu.be/asLA5qMTJec

:lol:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

88h88 posted:

This was satisfying to watch. What are we saying here as to the cause of the accident? If drift mode was on then I reckon it couldn't handle the input of the road gradient as usually dorifto is done on relatively flat surfaces. If no drift mode, driver is just bad at driving considering that thing is supposedly easyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to drive like a twat.

I thought the video was deleted but it looks like it was rehosted or something that can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOelONV_unQ

Dude did not have nearly enough throttle to pull that off. That would suuuck for him when insurance gets a hold of that video.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

blk posted:

Looks like this will be my last iPhone. I'm not sure what to switch to now that Google is effectively axing Nexus. I like the Winphone UI the best but I don't want to be stuck with Bing search/maps.

It's a weird feeling that I love iOS but I'm disliking the hardware more and more. I dislike the android OS more than I don't like the apple hardware.
Next month I'm dumping my 6 and getting the iPhone SE. Small phones 4lyf

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Has IOC our fearless leader ordered these in every size for his family yet? https://www.blipshift.com/products/cloud-69

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

blk posted:

I'm getting up every 2 hours to help my wife feed our son because her milk hasn't come on yet. It takes me 2 hours to fall asleep. I haven't slept in a week. Wish I had a Ferrari so I could die in a fire. When I see a Mustang coming down our street I throw myself in front of it but they always miss and end up in the azaleas.

Hang in there buddy. I don't wish away the newborn phase but at like ~9 months they just become such a hoot! Terrible twos didn't exist with my daughter but three sucked. Now that she's four it was like a light switch for her being a total sweetheart. My son at two is a turd.

iPhone chat I'm gonna go buy the iPhone SE to replace my now two year old 6. I've owned the 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, and 6. My favorite hardware device hands down was the 4S. That was a masterpiece of glass and stainless steel. It wasn't so thin that sir Jony Ive was stroking himself at the thought. I loved the heft of it. When I went to the 5 it just felt cheaper. The iPhone was my gateway into apple products as we now have 3 iPads, Apple TV(s), and a 5K iMac. I'm not even mad.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

leica posted:

Dude was sitting down eating a big mac like nothing happened playing dumb.

So basically he was just trying to Florida his way out of it?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

SCENARIO/QUESTION:

My wife likes to play the piano. My mother has played the piano her whole life. My mother is ready to upgrade to a larger Steinway grand (Model B). She has had her current Steinway grand since she was 16 so plenty of sentimental value attached. It has been taken care of, and 6 years ago when they moved into their house they had it completely refinished to the tune (heh) of many :20bux:. Part of my mother upgrading includes selling the current piano. Last night while they were over for dinner at our house we were discussing about how they want a larger piano and the one they were looking at. We have a front room in our house and I said they could have it down at out place while they list it and try to get it sold and we could essentially "showcase" it or whatever given that it will probably take a while for something like that to sell. Then my mom just said "Yeah, we could maybe do that OR you could just buy it from us for (a number far lower than actual market value)". Initial thoughts are YES, because it would be a wonderful thing to keep in the family and for my wife to have and for my kids to learn on in addition to being a beautiful thing to have in our home. We have the cash to be able to do it too.

On the other hand; it is still a considerable cost. We have an old Baldwin standup piano that we would need to rid ourselves of but we got it free and that wouldn't be difficult to part with. It also does set back our plans for getting our M3 by a while too; like instead of being a 4-5 month timeline on getting it that time line moves another 6 months beyond. I still think I need to sleep on the decision.

WHAT SHOULD I DO INTERNET STRANGERS???

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

freelop posted:

You can get an mp3 player and put not just piano music but many different musics on it too. They are much smaller

Witchcraft!

fridge corn posted:

Musical instruments > cars so get the piano imo

At least in this instance it would actually maintain value.

Rotten Cookies posted:

I know this is gonna sound like a silly question, but....

Can you physically fit the piano into your home?

A valid question. Our home size is more than adequate and we actually have a front room that I can remove the love seat and chairs from that would house/show case it perfectly.

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I think you should do it but be prepared to donate your old piano or something. You practically have to pay people to take them these days.

Free was what we paid for it and that's the same price it would leave my home.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Lean on your affluent & sentimentally attached mother to give it to you, "for the kids", and "so she can still visit it when she wants" and then you can get the M3 also. Problem solved.

That becomes a gray area due to me being the youngest of five, it would be much better to have a transaction take place. Additionally I think paying for it would be better for our relationship. Remember the M3 would only be delayed and not ruled out. I've waited and worked for it this long another ~6 months wouldn't be the end of the world.

1500quidporsche posted:

How often does your wife play and what's the condition of the Baldwin? That's what I would factor into the decision. A piano with crap wrong with it is never fun to play on, I don't think a Steinway is worth the premium unless you're playing at a concert level but regardless they do command a premium and if the current piano sucks to play I'd probably bite the bullet if she plays regularly.

The Baldwin came from my grandma when she moved into a rest home. It's decent and free was the price we weren't going to complain about. She plays the piano 1-2 times a week. With a nicer piano and as the children get older it's understood she'd put more time into playing. At the moment she doesn't have a ton of hobbies/interests so I'm really on board with the investment in it.

spog posted:

Can you swap an LS into it?

Normally I'd say yes, but a matching numbers from the 60's that's perfect running makes it a bad candidate for a swap. The Baldwin would no doubt run better.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Convince them to gift you the piano. Then sell it and buy a car with the money.

3; Buy car with money
4; ?
5; profit

InitialDave posted:

Sounds like a pretty good test case to find out how much of a dick any given sibling is, assuming none of them have a valid (i.e. they play and have room) reason for wanting the piano themselves. If it'd just be "why are you giving them something that's worth $inheritence?" :qq:, then tell them to pull their head out their rear end.

All of us siblings actually have a great relationship. The parents have a will and estate plan in place. There are three girls and two boys. That won't be any problem for quite some time since my parents are in good health and not what I'd consider too aged yet. My dad just retired a little over a year ago.

Also my wife is the only one that plays (some other grand kids also play sort of okay). I'm definitely the only one with the room though.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Anxiously awaiting your 'We're having another kid' post in ~5.5 months after all this additional wifely pianosex that's gonna be going down, but good luck. :v:
:hf::v: that's possibly true but she might already be knocked up; we'll know in the next week or two.

This has actually been helpful, thanks everyone. At this moment we're more leaning on the side of yes.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

scuz posted:

It wasn't a large pay cut to switch jobs, but I've been immeasurably happier now that I'm outta there.

Someone much wiser than me said 'Money can't buy you happiness, but it's absence ensures misery'. After years of reading goon-tales on the forums here there are so many intelligent and hardworking people who are being paid well below their ability.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

My career path has been one I never would have expected. For nearly my entire paycheck collecting days it's been in the radio controlled hobby industry. My current position finds me in the large scale segment which no doubt has been my favorite. I have a my Applied Sciences of general studies degree 2 years of school) but never went on for my bachelors. At this point I've had so much experience in supply chain management and ERP/MRP software and production planning etc that I've got plenty of marketable skills. I have no reason to ever leave where I am though. It's challenging, I have responsibility, freedom , respect and very generous employers. I'm happy.

Got around to watching the new ken block vid. Watched on the projector for maximum effect and it was pretty cool. I don't think anything will top the hoonicorn but this was definitely entertaining. I would have liked to see what they could have done in Australia like originally planned.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

88h88 posted:

...I still want a kitchen aid to make my dough less forearm intensive.

Raise your eyes my son and get the Bosch universal mixer. I scored mine from a special buy at Costco and got the cookie paddles, and some other attachments for a smoking deal. My wife has since made it her hobby to bake treats. Between the Bosch, a half dozen cookie sheets with silpats and our double ovens she will rip out like 72+ cookies in about an hour. Our neighbor's all love us because we share most of what's made. At any given point we have 12-20 pounds of butter on hand and ~10 pounds of varied ghirardelli chocolate chips.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I also had a pretty good day. Just hanging out at the computer updating my iPhone to iOS 10. I found out why my Apple TV's were streaming like total dog crap. Turns out my CenturyLink modem/router antenna part has just gone to crap and wouldn't broadcast anything much past 5 feet. So I went further down the rabbit hole and went ahead and bought an Apple Airport Express. Setup was painless and everything now "Just Works"tm. Thanks Ghost Steve Jobs and Timmy!

I also watched most of The Other Guys while my little dude was taking a nap and that has to be one of the greatest shows ever. Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrel have pretty good comedic chemistry. Better than I care to admit.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I woke up at 4:30 this morning to put two pork butts on the smoker. They are now 4 1/2 hours into the cook and I cannot wait until I get home before I get to dig in to some delicious smoked meat. We have a couple of friends that have recently had babies we are taking dinner over to them. What better way to achieve that than by smoking 13 pounds of pork flesh?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

HELL YES! Can you get some closer photos that show off that paint color? Bless you for not getting monochrome white/black/silver that is plaguing Merica's roadways.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Killed my third tape adapter this year on the way to work this morning. Think it's either time to hard wire and auxiliary input where the CD player is or try one of those bluetooth FM tuners. How garbage are the tuners? Also thought about a bluetooth cassette adapter but they all have at best 6 hours of battery so I'd end up hard wiring a power plug somehow which leaves just as many wires as I have now. Don't want to change out the stereo and sound quality isn't super important because it's a 16 year old car with poo poo speakers.

I got two of these about four years ago and they have worked surprisingly well with our iPhones: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PPGOC0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I think that how well they work depends on how crowded your FM channels are in your area. I found a good frequency. They pair easily and accurately, you can actually use them as a handsfree device and talking to people on the phone say that the quality is decent enough. At $35 I figured I didn't have much to lose.

Yesterday's dinner was a total success in large part because of my wife. I like big butts and I cannot lie

Spent just over 12 hours on the smoker. We took some to two different friends who recently had new babies. My wife made home made rolls, green salad, baked potatoes and fresh cookies. I cooked some fresh green beans to go along. I am irrationally excited for my lunch today because the only thing better than fresh BBQ is day after BBQ.

Everyone should get a pellet smoker and smoke meats. It changes your life.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

He was an AI success story. Rip in piece.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

So....There was a tornado that touched down in Utah last night and it messed some stuff up.

Tornadoes don't happen in Utah. :stare: Clearly this is a sign that Providence is displeased with this nation.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Anyone else wonder how high the 959 on Bring a Trailer is going to run? I am thinking it will crest 1M.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Beverly Cleavage posted:

welp. GBS is back. I done did a thing...

I saw the announcement. I also saw the thread. I feared and turned away from posting.

Took the family to see the movie Storks. As a parent of young children and looking to add one more there was a moment that squeezed me right in the feelings. Good movie, and better was that my youngest sat through it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Cakefool posted:

I have no idea who half of you are now. So basically you have the opportunity to reinvent yourselves to those of us who don't pay attention.

this is my feelings on the matter.

Only ~30 minutes left on that 959 on Bring a Trailer and it is only at $800K. I am thinking it will probably go reserve not met. I am sure they have reserve at a cool million bucks if not more.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Reg dates and name changes for all so we can talk about e-peen length :regd07:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

While backing out on my way to work today I scuffed my left rear fender/wheel well on my M3 along the rear back corner of the old Mazda6. How the hell does that even happen? Looks like I scrubbed some paint off the Mazda and should be able to buff the M3 out. I just feel particularly dumb at the moment.

• Locked thread