Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm not sure I've ever stopped fixing rust. It dogs me, like a half-conscious memory of embarrassing yourself at a party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

loving FRUIT FLIES I CAN'T POSSIBLY CLEAN THE KITCHEN ANY BETTER gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU.

I recently purged a shitload of these fuckers with alcohol-free (it has to be alcohol-free) mouthwash left out in a cup overnight.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

scuz posted:

An argument over which Mel Brooks movies are still funny is an ugly thing. And I think it's just about time that we had one!

They all are.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Tusen Takk posted:

The inspector was like "I haven't seen a house in this good of shape in a very long time" so :pray:

You got a pussy inspector or the seller got to them first.

My inspector had a Ken-level rage breakdown over a sliding door defect.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
On Grassroots Motorsports someone managed to find Rustoleum in British Racing Green ("Racing Green Metallic") for his LeMons Z-car. It looked really good:

Took forever to harden apparently.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

scuz posted:

If, by some weird twist of the universe, I wind up teaching a debate class, everyone's final will be a week-long, open-floor debate on "What Is A Sandwich?"

Unable to resist, you would join the debate and get shanked with a corkscrew in hour two.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

A hot dog is a hot dog unless the bun tears fully apart into two separate pieces of bread. If you then change the orientation and method of eating it, it can be a sandwich.

If you insist on calling a fully intact hot dog something other than hot dog, "a foldover" is acceptable. Especially when you're poor and actually use a piece of white bread as a bun.

You fucker how dare you start this here.

Subway sandwiches also don't cut fully through the bread, they Pac-Man that poo poo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Lord help me, I'm looking at 90s imprezas on kijiji.

I miss my Outback Sport so much but don't buy that beige one that's sitting in a dude's driveway that he says has "a little knock" because it's been on that driveway for years.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

After the whole SVX saga I'd have zero tolerance for drivetrain issues. I'm thinking the Scirocco's days are numbered at this point so I'm starting to keep an eye open for a new winter beater.

Get something with an EJ22 and you can fix it by screaming at it semi-loudly. They're bulletproof little shitboxes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

go3 posted:

im not sure what the past 15 years has shown you that makes you think the US military would be effective at all against widespread insurrection in the US

My favourite part would be the hamhanded attempts at trying to win hearts and minds by dropping from airplanes pallet after pallet of untraceable black-budget cash in Canada by accident.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Lorikeets are nice birdies. Magpies are straight out murderous cunts

Magpies must be different for you guys than us, because while they are gang-like garbage birds who eat roadkill and swarm people they are also very smart and generally leave you alone if you're not a dick.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Previa_fun posted:

La Croix sparkling water is the poo poo. I've completely replaced soda with this stuff.

Is it any better for you than pop? I don't think it has come across the border to Canada yet but it's probably only a matter of time with how big the fad is in The America.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

It's just carbonated water with very light flavoring. Zero calories/sugar and no artificial sweeteners.

Do they have a version that is like half caffeine/methamphetamine by volume?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

blk posted:

Had my boy today. My wife's water broke at midnight just as a bright meteor was passing overhead and he was born on Ferdi Porsche's birthday - there's some sort of origin story in there somewhere.

Congrats duder. Enjoy it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jamal posted:

Lots of DI vehicles have the same problem because there is no fuel flow cleaning the intake ports and valves so oil from the pcv system just builds up.

This is a bmw 335 that had fairly low miles at the time:

For what it's worth, one of the local tuners here has said that water injection on his mostly-stock '15 WRX has really cut down on the gunk on his.

Now that BMW has a factory water-injection system in the M4 I would hope it will become pretty standard for DI OEMs.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

iwentdoodie posted:

The discover weekly playlist on Spotify is one of my favorite loving things ever.

Just found out the other day it also has Release Radar, which is the same thing but for new music only, and updates on Fridays.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I've been playing the poo poo out of Mad Max lately. Picked it up for like $7 a while back and just got around to firing it up about a month or so ago.

Arkham-style rear end beatings and hauling rear end through the wastes in the Magnum? :perfect:

I still have that on my PS4 but stopped playing it shortly after release for some reason. I should go back and finish it while I'm trying to put off MGS5.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

The thing has only fully stopped on me one other time and I got it moving again since it was just dodgy spark plug wires. Looks like it might just be the fuel pump relay though

I actually had to get a tow on my EG Civic the other day. I was hard mad.

Granted, it was an ECU failure (power regulator cap melted) but I was still pissed I couldn't get it working on the roadside with the scraps of wire I had found lying around.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

blk posted:

Looks like this will be my last iPhone. I'm not sure what to switch to now that Google is effectively axing Nexus. I like the Winphone UI the best but I don't want to be stuck with Bing search/maps.

Do they even still make Windows phones?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

poo poo, I have an iPod classic somewhere that I never used, I wonder if it's worth selling.

They're pretty valuable still. I tried to pick up a cheap iPod mini for the Trans Mountain rally and couldn't find one that closed auction under a fifty, unless it was broken.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Ether Frenzy posted:

One year in HS my car's booming system was out of commission for basically the whole summer break thanks to a warranty-fix on my head unit's tape drive (Sony took 16 weeks or some nonsense to ship/repair/ship back, and then it broke exactly the same way 10 minutes after I got it back) so I had a C-battery powered ghetto blaster strapped in the passenger seat, and Public Enemy's Apocalpyse '91 on a cassette playing nonstop for 3 months. No auto-reverse. Manual flip 4 lyfe.

By the time I get to Arizona!

My project Civic still doesn't have a stereo, so I've jammed a SoundBot bluetooth speaker into the DIN hole. It fits pretty snug so it's perfect!

The only problem is that I have to charge it, but I'm pretty sure I have some adjustable VDC regulators around here somewhere...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

loving got the RX7 running for a nice little shakedown. Let it cool down and go to start it back up and one of the vacuum lines buried deep underneath the intake went pop. This loving car :lol:

When you gaze into the 13B, the 13B also gazes back at you. It is time for a bit of critical reflection, some real dark night of the soul poo poo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

For us Arduino/Electronic geeks: Espressif released the ESP32, the follow up to the ESP8266, on the 5th.

Now with Bluetooth LE and Wifi for $5

It sounds pretty dope but as always Espressif doesn't bother to document the crazy poo poo it has like apparently its built-in CANbus?

I'll wait a few weeks until I've dug out from my pile of other electronic garbage.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Yesterday's lesson was that apparently Rotaries just like trying to suck injector grommets into the engine and that is the source of the vacuum leak. :wtc:

All will be consumed before the epitrochoidal fire.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

I'm a back-end software engineer, generally happy with my job despite the fact that my team is dissolving and I'm being folded into another team.

I gave a talk at my company's Philadelphia office about robotics, home automation, and IOT stuff. Woefully underprepared, since I was out of the country all last week. I whipped this up in the hotel room last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDDWK2k0wO0

I wound up hacking together a little thing that polls a USGS earthquake API every five minutes and displays the magnitude of the most recent earthquake by waving its little arms around. People seemed to like it, so I'm happy.

Hey, that thing is dope. I keep meaning to convert my box of parts into something useful. Maybe I'll do that in winter.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

So the scirocco got towed because I street parked it and I forgot to renew the tags. Impound lot wouldn't let me take any tools in to try and replace the fuel filter so after priming the poo poo out of it and somehow getting it to the gate I go back to the van to grab my phone to call to get it towed back to my place and

This year can eat a bag of loving dicks.

Jesus loving Christ.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CornHolio posted:

Hey, you guys know that big six billion dollar USPS contract out there?

Just found out my company is one of the six chosen to build prototypes.

I've been asked personally if I want in on the engineering...

They told me that they needed a postal van for the apocalypse, and they needed it yesterday. I smiled, and I could tell they were unnerved by the sight of my teeth.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Sinestro posted:

We're forty minutes into a computer architecture class, and the professor has done nothing but talk about Initial D and autocrossing his EG civic, and now he's starting to talk about getting high and listening to Pink Floyd when he first came to America. This is amazing.

My hardware-software interaction prof once gave an entire lecture on how to time a Volvo 122 by building your own timing gun.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Still playing Mad Max.

Finally got the Big Chief.

:perfect:

I started playing it again. It's still a bit of a slog but I got to Gastown.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

Employee saw me staring at the heaters piled up under the "Air Conditioners" sign and apologized, said they stopped getting ACs and fans 3 weeks ago. Nothing in backstock, they sold through everything they had. :sigh: Apparently they switch everything over for the entire region at the same time, without consideration of conditions in a specific market. They already yanked shorts and summer wear from the sales floor too, and put out heavy coats.
The gently caress do you need a heater for in Texas? That's what outside is for.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

blk posted:

Hey if anyone plays computer games here try this one because it is one of the best: https://www.gog.com/game/saboteur?u...rge&utm_term=EN

GTA but WWII with classic Alfas and Silver Arrows and really fun game play including covert demolition

This was a really fun game but I stopped playing it for some reason. Maybe I'll pick it up again.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

BloodBag posted:

My favorite cat and best friend, Taco, is acting really ill. I hope he pulls through, I don't want to lose another cool rear end catte :-(

e: he's looking the same way Crom did when he died of FIP. I feel hollow inside. Taco is my son. I can tell he feels awful, but he still manages a little purr. Thanks for the last six years Taco, you helped me through so much and cuddled with me every night.

I'm sorry man. I hope Taco gets better and gets back to knocking poo poo off counters in a sunbeam while demanding food and pets like all cats do.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

BloodBag posted:

Taco didn't make it. Liver and kidney failure. My son is dead. Rest in peace. You were the best cat I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.
E: that's him on the left with his buddy, Lucky. The head bapping those two got up to...
http://imgur.com/a/lOqmT

I'm sorry, man. :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
He was a great cat, BloodBag. You can tell from the pictures.

I'm stunned you managed to get a bow tie on that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If I lived in Australia my house would be well stocked with lifted muscle cars and silver spray paint because I saw this documentary once about emergency preparedness and it stressed the importance of those two things.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Well I don't hate my new name but I feel like that name lottery could have gone a lot better.

Also there is no stranger feeling than finding your own car on the internet. Mr. PO may not have been good at caring for this car but he was at least marginally better at taking pictures of it (though he's got a naty instagram filter fetish)

I wish I knew why yours is the only Lexus SC I've ever liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I saw a dude with a lowered and chopped Ranchero today in traffic. Approved.

• Locked thread