Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Phone posted:

Won't this be $Texas?

I'm looking to keep everything under $200 between paint and supplies. I'm also an insane person and want to do multiple colors.

It's archived but here's a thread with several AIer's experience doing cheap home paint jobs. Mine's in there too. I did Rustoleum on my MG and it's holding up great, but then again it's only been about a year and I keep it garaged all the time. It got a nasty paint chip when I had it hauled from CA to NM, but I just sanded it and then hit it with a light coat of spray-on Rustoleum every evening for a few days before doing a final wet sand. It's a pretty decent repair, I eventually had to stop adding paint because after a few layers and some sanding I couldn't tell where to put the paint any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

That's because you don't have an argument. You have a smug talking point.

The militia likely couldn't have taken the government over at any point past 1800. This is not a new argument, nor a particularly interesting one, because by the point that we're openly drone striking armed partisans the bill of rights has ceased to be relevant in the slightest.

but, like, everyone stood up and clapped when he laid that sick talking point on the old man

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My favorite part is when you can tell the guy's nipples got a little hard writing it out: "Oh yeah, your puny little militia will be crushed by our strong tanks, god those treads squeezing the blood from your pulped body FFFFFFFFFF yeah your tiny dick-pistols got nothing on drone strikes, oooooh drone strike *me*, Obama-senpai!"

edit: forgot how to spell senpai, how embarassing

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My favourite part would be the hamhanded attempts at trying to win hearts and minds by dropping from airplanes pallet after pallet of untraceable black-budget cash in Canada by accident.

I grew up near a military firing range that used to stretch even further, over sparsely populated farmland, and along with untrained WWII pilots crashing their P-38s in fields or dumping huge loads of .50 cal empties on the way back to the airstrip, I guess every once in a while they'd gently caress up a practice drop and parachute a Jeep into someone's back yard.

Although the C-130s continue to fly directly over the family farm to this day, they have yet to drop any vehicles for us.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Elmnt80 posted:

We should issue firearms to all black communities presided over by overwhelmingly white police forces. :v:

Why yes, I'm bored and want to see an arguement. I'm stuck at work for the next 3 1/2 hours because "hurricane" isn't a good enough reason to close early.

That's probably not going to get a ton of argument from SA gun owners. Besides, it worked for the Black Panthers, up until Reagan enacted some ridiculously strict gun control in California specifically because of them: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/09/the-secret-history-of-guns/308608/

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

meatpimp posted:

"Ridiculously strict" is not being able to open carry a loaded firearm in public (Mulford Act)? :thumbsup:

With open carry off the table, the only legal way to bear arms in California was concealed carry. In California, the issuance of a concealed carry permit is subject to the approval of local law enforcement, who decide if there is "sufficient cause" to issue the permit. There are no true guidelines determining sufficient cause; in rural counties, it can be pretty easy to get a permit. In densely-populated areas, the only people who get permits are judges, celebrities, and people who donated enough to the Sheriff's election campaign.

How many concealed carry permits do you think the Oakland Police Department issued to black people, when the Black Panther Party was formed in large part in response to the abuses of that very police department?

So yeah, I'd call a law that effectively strips a constitutional right pretty ridiculous.

Edit: I'm sorry, IOC. I know better than to argue guns in AI, I'm just :spergin: sometimes

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 2, 2016

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Why does the whole idiot world insist on writing "Tobasco sauce" when it has the proper spelling in huge letters on every bottle?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I found some 9x18 Makarov FMJ for reasonable-ish prices today, so I bought a box of 50. I've been meaning to get out to the city's shooting range park which should be fun.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Crossposted from my thread, I finally got this nasty bitch out:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0KZTdHad48

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

If Bluetooth would ever reliably pair with anything, I'd be more interested in using it. But across something like 6 phones (between my wife and myself), 2 BT-enabled cars, multiple OBDII readers and headphones and keyboards and a motorcycle helmet audio system, loving nothing ever actually pairs properly and stays paired. Either your phone can't find the loving device in the first place, because you have to do some magic combination of button-presses to turn on BT pair-ability, or the Camry's stereo system really doesn't like to connect if you enable BT on your phone *after* starting the car, or you've managed to pair the device once but your phone will never, ever find it again. Nothing better than dicking with it for a minute or two when you get in the car, giving up, and then 5 minutes into your drive the phone & the car finally sync up and start playing music.

Ooh the best part is how the Camry will occasionally decide it only wants to connect your phone "for calls", even though you were playing music last time. Then you have to go multiple levels deep in the touch-screen config menu to turn on music. I understand that this is the fault of Toyota programmers, but on the other hand plugging into the car's aux jack Just Works.

Trying to get a phone to detect some devices seems like some sort of ships passing in the night scenario. You press the magic buttons on the device to make it ready to pair, and then you tell your phone to scan, and your phone finally discovers the device but then by the time you try to pair with it, the device has turned off Bluetooth because nothing connected in the 15 second window!

That's my Bluetooth meltdown, thanks for reading, don't forget to like and subscribe.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

DO WE HAVE ANY PHOTOGRAPHY GOONS I AM NOT GOOD WITH CAMERA

I bought this camera from a goon. Combined with this lens, total was $140. It's a 45-200 (real talk: 90-400 because 2x crop factor, if I"m understanding this correctly) lens.

I needed a standard lens or two for it, so I got smashed and bought THESE lenses.

Now, what I know so far:

The olympus is a standard, bottom-of-the-good-barrel lens, with a bit of barrel distortion that most four-thirds cameras take care of in internal software anyway. It's wider angle, but an okay "street" lens, and the "17mm" is equivalent to a 35mm, well, 35mm lens, which is what I learned what little photography I know on. So, it's okay, but has no internal image stabilization because olympus puts that in their camera bodies.

The TOKINA lens is special. The seller posts the following about it (warning: verbose)

What I get, other than manual focus (I'm okay with this) is that this is the closest to a 55mm "prime" (in 35mm terms?) lens as I can get for under $100 (it was about $80).

How bad did I gently caress up? If I did, I'll just turn around and flip the things, because lens prices are cray cray, holy poo poo like 2x the value of the camera.

All I want to do is take better pictures of projects, and will probably use auto (panasonic: "iA") mode 99% of the time. I putzed around in photography classes, and actually made eyeglasses (along with doing refractive exams) for six years, so basic, basic concepts like f-stop and aperture and poo poo aren't totally lost on me, but I'm totally not a photographer.

Ok, so Micro 4/3 has a crop factor of 2 meaning your 28mm is, yes, basically an equivalent of a 56mm lens on a 35mm camera.

Tokina is a fine brand from what I know.

If you're taking pictures of projects, you have the time to expose it properly rather than use auto mode. I recommend experimenting with manual mode, you'll find it a lot easier to get the exposure you want on the subject.

Micro 4/3 is even smaller than your standard DSLR crop sensor so there is some compromise involved. If you get the photo itch, buy a cheap 35mm camera; you can develop your own B&W for cheap and the pictures come out pretty great.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

88h88 posted:

Hey assholes, new Roadkill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSB2_428P2w

Also what are the wheels they put on that?

Truly American muscle has inflated if they paid that dude $2800 for that flagrant lump of poo poo with no transmission fluid, a busted carb, a hosed up driveshaft, and a hosed up front-end. That Valiant (?) at 15:50 looks p. cool though.

Edit: don't forget no title, apparently.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 9, 2016

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Phone posted:

You're a novice, so you can ignore "35mm equivalent" bullshit. Everyone (read: everyone who isn't a professional photographer) has a crop body of some sort. It's useful for some technical discussions, but think of it the same way you see a dude with a BMW 328 reciting Lamborghini stats off of the top of his head at a gas station: cool story, bro.

Buy Understanding Exposure and read it cover-to-cover a few times. https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Photographs-Camera/dp/0817439390

Read the user manual for your camera cover-to-cover a few times, as well.

Welcome to the madness.

Knowing the equivalent of a 35mm nifty-fifty is useful because that's a drat useful lens to have.

Also I don't just have a crop body :smuggo:

Medium-format film cameras like the Yashica are a pretty good photographic bang for your buck... $100 for a camera with a "sensor size" of 6x6cm

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Do you develop your own film? I need a good source for chemicals when I finish my garage.

I develop my own black and white film. I get all my equipment from Freestyle Photographic Supplies, partly because I started when I was in California and they ship out of Los Angeles so it was fast, and partly because they have good prices, and partly because I love their Arista EDU film (it's just rebranded Foma, they used to sell rebranded Tri-X as Arista Premium but that's discontinued).

I bought all my starter gear from them except for a set of graduated cylinders which I got from Amazon. I've since assembled more stuff piecemeal from Ebay and craigslist, including an 8-roll stainless steel dev tank (it holds 1.5 liters IIRC), some large paper developing trays, and an Omega D2 enlarger.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My batch of cider starts fermenting today!

Yesterday I bought 3 gallons of fresh apple juice from a local orchard and put it in the fermenting bucket with some sodium metabisulfite to clear out any wild yeast.

This morning I added a pound of honey, some yeast nutrient, and my yeast. I'm on track for 6% ABV when it's done fermenting; at that point I'll move it to a carboy to clarify, possibly add a bit of back-sweetening, and bottle.

I'm excited because this is my first foray into brewing.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I'm going to make cider this week too! :hfive:

Do you have yourself some pectic enzyme?

If you back sweeten then bottle condition you could risk gushers.

No pectic enzyme, but that's a good idea.

I intend to use potassium sorbate when I transfer to the carboy to kill off any remaining yeasts. I figure that, combined with transferring from the primary vessel (leaving most yeast sediment behind), combined with leaving it in the secondary carboy for several weeks before adding the sweetening, should be enough to prevent any explosions.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Timmy Cruise posted:

Currently sipping some ~8% still cider I made with a friend last year. We used stevia to back sweeten and it works pretty well. I think some people don't like the taste but I don't taste it. We also used it in the ginger beer. That would avoid the explosion problem. We've only had a couple and have been brewing for a few years now. There are a ton of online resources to figure out priming. What yeast are you using?

I'm using Safale S-04 ale yeast.

Thinking about something like stevia but I'm pretty sure my wife dislikes the flavor.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I recognized the Aston Martin DBS from that picture corn in the fridge posted.

Still looks tacky.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So I'm in the San Francisco area and I need a sword by tomorrow afternoon. It's the wife's cousin's wedding and I am supposed to carry a sword alongside his horse in the procession (the task falls to the sister's husband and I'm as close as they could get).

Can you rent this poo poo or do I just need to hit up a pawn shop/Chinese import store for something cheap? I think e.g. one of those flimsy tai chi practice swords might fit the bill...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Does SF have a chinatown? The ones in NYC and Chicago sold that stuff.

It does... while I'd prefer to avoid a trip to Chinatown that might be the last resort. There's a martial arts supply store near where I'm staying that, according to their website, has those straight swords for $35 which isn't too bad.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I have one of those little vertical charcoal smokers. A few weekends back I used it to smoke some ribs using lump charcoal from Costco. Turns out the lumps are huge, so I ended up never needing to add charcoal, it burned for something like 6 hours straight at about 250 degrees.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

wallaka posted:

The OSHA thread will be missed.

atomicthumbs made a new one in PYF: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791051

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tusen Takk posted:

The WRX was out at the same time as the forums launched (actually didn't it come out in 1999? idr)

so what does ur heart tell u

As I remember 1999, my heart tells me Honda Civic hatchback

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Powershift posted:

if you have archives, here's a "post your car" thread from 02 http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=292235

Same poo poo, different decade, really.

Jesus, the "Hi I'm Douchefuck" at the start of every post gets real old real fast. Shame about the missing images too.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Locator posted:

I don't watch movies on my phone either, and don't really understand how anyone can get any enjoyment out of watching a movie on such a tiny screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sinestro posted:

We're forty minutes into a computer architecture class, and the professor has done nothing but talk about Initial D and autocrossing his EG civic, and now he's starting to talk about getting high and listening to Pink Floyd when he first came to America. This is amazing.

Computer Architecture is an interesting class, I enjoyed it. Mine was taught by a Saudi guy who used to basically sprint out the door when we took a break halfway through the 2-hour class; he'd run outside and smoke half a clove cigarette, stub it out and come back inside to finish teaching the class. I chose him as my master's thesis advisor because he was easy-going and his work was close-ish to my topic, but I regretted it when he disappeared for a whole summer and didn't answer any emails.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

Awesome! Came home to an 85 degree apartment and a tripped breaker for the ac.

I'm not sure which is more impressive... a ~5-10 year old ac taking a poo poo, or an early 80s FPE Stab-Lok breaker actually tripping. I reset the breaker, went outside, and stood next to the ac and kicked it on via Nest (yay internet thermostats), and holy poo poo that thing makes a horrific racket for a few seconds (a bit like a 4.0 that's thrown 2 or 3 rods), followed by a loud "clunk", a nice 60 hz buzz, then a tripped breaker.

At least it's a nice enough night that I can leave the windows open.

The STR anti-technology field strikes again! I'm pretty sure you've gone through something like 5 phones, 2 cars, more computer equipment than I can remember, and at least 5 major appliances? (dishwasher, oven, ice maker, air conditioner, there was more I'm sure) Just since I started noticing the STR anti-tech effect a couple years ago. Meanwhile I've yet to have a major appliance kick the bucket, and all my phones last me 2+ years, and I've never had a hard drive fail... so what I'm saying is we must never meet, lest our pro-tech and anti-tech fields interact and send humanity back to the dark ages.

In other news, the Ranger got 24 mpg as of my fillup this morning, and that was mostly city driving too. I got 20 mpg last time but I've tried to keep it under 4k RPM on this last tank and it's definitely helped the mileage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Prong Song posted:

regdates ITT fuccboi

:regd04:

I still believe :regd10: is the best of them all.

• Locked thread