Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Minto Took posted:

I might be car shopping soon and drat does that vroom thread have me worked up about going to a dealer. :smith:

Don't read that thread, it's really bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

A sandwich is a food item consisting of one or more types of food, such asvegetables, sliced cheese or meat, placed on or between slices of bread, or more generally any dish wherein two or more pieces of bread serve as a container or wrapper for some other food. The sandwich was originally a portable food item or finger food which began to be popular in the Western World. Today sandwiches in various versions are found worldwide.

Quick facts: Main ingredients ...

Sandwiches are a popular type of lunch food, taken to work, school, or picnics to be eaten as part of a packed lunch. The bread can be used plain, or it can be coated with one or more condiments such as mayonnaise ormustard to enhance the flavours and texture. As well as being homemade, sandwiches are also widely sold in restaurants and cafes, and are sometimes served hot as well as cold.There are both savoury sandwiches, such asdeli meat sandwiches, and sweet sandwiches, such as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

The sandwich is considered to be thenamesake of John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, because of the claim that he was the eponymous inventor of this food combination. The Wall Street Journal has described it as Britain's "biggest contribution to gastronomy".

History

Salmon and cream cheese sandwiches on pieces ofbaguetteEnglish sandwiches, crustless on a plateSandwich with fried egg, tomato and cucumberOlive and red tomato sandwich

The modern concept of a sandwich using slices of bread (as found within the Western World) can arguably be traced to 18th century Europe. However, the use of some kind of bread or bread-like substance to lie under (or under and over) some other food, or used to scoop up and enclose or wrap some other type of food, long predates the 18th century, and is found in numerous much older cultures worldwide.

The ancient Jewish sage Hillel the Elder is said to have wrapped meat from the Paschal lamb and bitter herbs between two pieces of old-fashioned soft matzah—flat, unleavened bread—during Passover in the manner of a modern wrap made with flatbread. Flat breads of only slightly varying kinds have long been used to scoop or wrap small amounts of food en route from platter to mouth throughout Western Asia and northern Africa. From Morocco to Ethiopia to India, bread is baked in flat rounds, contrasting with the European loaf tradition.

During the Middle Ages in Europe, thick slabs of coarse and usually stale bread, called "trenchers", were used as plates. After a meal, the food-soaked trencher was fed to a dog or to beggars at the tables of the wealthy, and eaten by diners in more modest circumstances. The immediate culinary precursor with a direct connection to the English sandwich was to be found in the Netherlands of the 17th century, where the naturalist John Ray observed that in the taverns beef hung from the rafters "which they cut into thin slices and eat with bread and butter laying the slices upon the butter"— explanatory specifications that reveal the Dutch belegde broodje, open-faced sandwich, was as yet unfamiliar in England.

Initially perceived as food that men shared while gaming and drinking at night, the sandwich slowly began appearing in polite society as a late-night meal among thearistocracy. The sandwich's popularity in Spain and England increased dramatically during the 19th century, when the rise of industrial society and the working classes made fast, portable, and inexpensive meals essential.

It was at the same time that the European-style sandwich finally began to appear outside of Europe. In the United States, the sandwich was first promoted as an elaborate meal at supper. By the early 20th century, as bread became a staple of the American diet, the sandwich became the same kind of popular, quick meal as was already widespread in theMediterranean.

Etymology

The first written usage of the English word appeared in Edward Gibbon's journal, in longhand, referring to "bits of cold meat" as a "Sandwich". It was named after John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, an 18th-century English aristocrat. It is said that he ordered his valet to bring him meat tucked between two pieces of bread, and others began to order "the same as Sandwich!" It is commonly said that Lord Sandwich was fond of this form of food because it allowed him to continue playing cards, particularlycribbage, while eating, without using a fork, and without getting his cards greasy from eating meat with his bare hands.

The rumour in its familiar form appeared inPierre-Jean Grosley's Londres (Neuchâtel, 1770), translated as A Tour to London in 1772; Grosley's impressions had been formed during a year in London in 1765. The sober alternative is provided by Sandwich's biographer, N. A. M. Rodger, who suggests Sandwich's commitments to the navy, and to politics and the arts, mean the first sandwich was more likely to have been consumed at his desk.

Before being known as sandwiches, this food combination seems to simply have been known as "bread and meat" or "bread and cheese".

Usage

In the United States, a court in Boston, Massachusetts ruled that "sandwich" includes at least two slices of bread. and "under this definition, this court finds that the term 'sandwich' is not commonly understood to include burritos, tacos, and quesadillas, which are typically made with a single tortilla and stuffed with a choice filling of meat, rice, and beans." The issue stemmed from the question of whether a restaurant that sold burritos could move into a shopping centre where another restaurant had a no-compete clause in its lease prohibiting other "sandwich" shops.

In Spain, where the word sandwich isborrowed from the English language, it refers to a food item made with Englishsandwich bread. It is otherwise known as abocadillo.

In the United Kingdom and Australia, the term "sandwich" is more narrowly defined than in the US: it refers only to an item which uses sliced bread from a loaf. An item with similar fillings, but using an entire bread roll cut horizontally in half, is always referred to as a "roll". (In South Australia, there is a regional variant of the "roll", superficially similar to a club sandwich, where the bread roll is sliced three times (parallel cuts), and filling is put in the first and third openings, but not the second. This makes the resulting "double cut roll" easier to handle: the top half and the bottom half are eaten separately.) Any hot item based on a bread roll is referred to as a "burger", never as a "sandwich". However, hot sliced (not ground) beef between two slices of toasted bread is referred to as a "steak sandwich" - it is the sliced loaf bread that distinguishes the steak sandwich from a "burger".

The verb to sandwich has the meaning to position anything between two other things of a different character, or to place different elements alternately, and the noun sandwich has related meanings derived from this more general definition. For example, anice cream sandwich consists of a layer of ice cream between two layers of cake or biscuit. Similarly, Oreos and Custard Creams are described as sandwich biscuits because they consist of a soft filling between layers of biscuit.

The word "butty" (a reference to the fact that butter is often used in British sandwiches) is common in some northern parts of England as a slang synonym for "sandwich", particularly to refer to certain kinds of sandwiches including the chip butty, bacon butty, or sausage butty, though some people make the distinction that a butty is made using a single buttered slice, folded over rather than cut. "Sarnie" is a similar colloquialism. Likewise, the words "sanger" and "piece" are used for sandwich in Scottishdialect; regarding the latter, an example of the use of "piece" is "piece and ham", meaning "piece of bread and ham".

Varieties

Further information: List of sandwiches andList of American sandwiches

Among the many varieties of sandwich popular in the United States are the BLT,cheese sandwich, Club sandwich, Dagwood,French dip, hamburger, Monte Cristo,Muffuletta, pastrami on rye, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, cheesesteak, pilgrim, Po' boy,Reuben, sloppy joe, and submarine.

Hamburger

Reuben sandwich

Club sandwich

Croque-monsieur, a French ham and cheese hot sandwich

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich

A Philly cheese steak, a type of submarine sandwich

Smoked meat sandwich

French bread sandwich with fries

Sandwich making

Shawarma sandwich

Doner sandwich

Chicken breast sandwich

A meat and cheese sandwich with various toppings and a side dish of coleslaw

An open sandwich with smoked horse meat in the Netherlands

See also

Finger foodList of bread dishesList of sandwichesList of American sandwichesList of foodsPanino(also called panini)Sandwich cake (layer cake)Sandwiches de migaTramezzino

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

God even I can't stand gun chat itt anymore

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Anybody still care about book club? Probably not cuz you're all illiterate morons but you should read Aquarium by David Vann okay bye

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

I'm reading The Sympathizer.

Ive heard that's good. It's on my list, won an award recently???

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Swagger Dagger posted:

My cousin named his daughter Kimber. I'm pretty sure that qualifies as "gun nut".

Well definitely some sort of white trash at any rate

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

Cracks me up how I get accused of being triggered and needing a safe space yet SAC's always the one coming into the thread all weepy when some blindingly poor choice he's made in life blows up in his face. :lol:

Keep spewing, it's funny and oh boy the schadenfreude.

Bit weird this

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

CarrKnight posted:

I'd like a second opinion on this because this book won the Pultizer but I absolutely loathed it.

Was it bad or did you just not like it?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

CarrKnight posted:

In my defense, the main character dodges an assassination attempt by Francis Ford Coppola for his trite and banal courageous ruminations on lack of representation of Vietnamese people in Apocalypse now.

Lol wtf

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I have strong opinions about whores

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I don't think there's much of a discussion to have. Nobody grows up telling their parents "I want to be a whore." It is scraping the bottom of human behavior barrel and anyone associated is either socially maladjusted or being preyed-upon. Perhaps both.

Hell, I agree with this

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I never played wow and hell, im glad

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Ive never had a problem with any Sony product I've owned :colbert:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

And I even had a first gen ps1

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Coredump posted:

Did you own a ps2 before the year 2002?

Yeah

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The only problem I ever had with my ps2 was my cat chewing through the controller wires. Afaik it still works

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

spog posted:

Coincidentally, today I am in mourning because my 10 year old 60GB ipod just died when I dropped in on the floor.

I am surprised at how high the prices on ebay are for them - often more than brand new mp3 players with significantly less capacity.

Because Apple in their infinite wisdom decided to stop producing a product that everybody liked

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ive had two sony xperia phones and they've both been excellent and when im due for upgrade in march i will get whatever is the latest and greatest sony phone at the time and it will be good if not better than what I've got now

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I keep meaning to go to the revival but I always get the timing wrong

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I refuse to eat at 5 guys

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Last time I was in an arcade i was dreaming and it was v disappointing

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I got 7

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

SCENARIO/QUESTION:

My wife likes to play the piano. My mother has played the piano her whole life. My mother is ready to upgrade to a larger Steinway grand (Model B). She has had her current Steinway grand since she was 16 so plenty of sentimental value attached. It has been taken care of, and 6 years ago when they moved into their house they had it completely refinished to the tune (heh) of many :20bux:. Part of my mother upgrading includes selling the current piano. Last night while they were over for dinner at our house we were discussing about how they want a larger piano and the one they were looking at. We have a front room in our house and I said they could have it down at out place while they list it and try to get it sold and we could essentially "showcase" it or whatever given that it will probably take a while for something like that to sell. Then my mom just said "Yeah, we could maybe do that OR you could just buy it from us for (a number far lower than actual market value)". Initial thoughts are YES, because it would be a wonderful thing to keep in the family and for my wife to have and for my kids to learn on in addition to being a beautiful thing to have in our home. We have the cash to be able to do it too.

On the other hand; it is still a considerable cost. We have an old Baldwin standup piano that we would need to rid ourselves of but we got it free and that wouldn't be difficult to part with. It also does set back our plans for getting our M3 by a while too; like instead of being a 4-5 month timeline on getting it that time line moves another 6 months beyond. I still think I need to sleep on the decision.

WHAT SHOULD I DO INTERNET STRANGERS???

Musical instruments > cars so get the piano imo

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I work on cars for a living and I like my job thank you very much

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

It simply amazes me how many ppl itt work in IT

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Do you all post in YOSPOS too??

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Funny how someone arguing a contrary opinion is automatically assumed to be trolling

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Tide posted:

So over the last few months I have written then erased this chain of thought severl times. but at some point yuou just have to verbalize it and get it out there for whatever reason so here the gently caress it goes.

Sinc getting kicked in the dick by my soon to be x wife, weekends for th emost part of been solo. Kid is living with me during the tweek and weekens for the most part he spoends with his mother. weenkends come, i'm alone. I drink. Friday comes when he goes to his mother shouse i am in bottle sof bourbon until sunday afternoon when that poo poo get scut the the gently caress off and then its 5 days of not touchikng a drop. but now i'm thinking of what we are going to do with this house.

2600 square foot house, not iuncluding the garage, great neighborhood. for the two of us i dont need this much space, but i am not going to yank him out of a comfortable place to save 1000 square feet and move somewhere smaller for the sake of efficiency. whagever . we built a life here, he has frineds here, and for HIM its loving awesome candyland every day he gets out of school. does his homework and blam there is like 6 friends that he can play with and rid ebikes and be a kid. super loving impoertant.

but goddamn am i loving miserable.

every drat day i wake up, stare at the ceiling then put on the best loving fac ei can and muscle through 2 hours before i drop him off at school. then i go to work, put in the day, then pick him up. time to put on the face, the postive attitude and muscle through it as best as i can. and he knows, he's not stupid kids are observant as hell and know what is going on without having to tell htem.

the worst fuckign part is answring why cant mom come home why cant mom be there and i honestly dont know what thf cuk to tell a 9 year old wthout shattering some sor tof image he has of his mother that at somet point hes going to have to reconcile in his own way. if i tell the truth then it make sme to be the rear end in a top hat, probably. or he says yeah, i understand and the x wife beomces the worlds loving biggest goddamn villian since whenever and that isnt the kind of impression that needs to bemade on a kid either so its no win situation.

But alot of the time i spend thinking maybe its my fault, i spent too mcuh time working or flying or busitn my rear end to give us the life we live. i try and find a 100 different reasons and i can never settle on one because i know, i KNOW in my dodgamned heart that id id nothing wrong. i nver cheated, i never strayed, i never once looked the other way. i may have had the opptunity but i neve r ever led anyone on and i never ever fcuking instagated or started drat thing. and it come sout that apparently some friends, women, frineds of the x wife knew what was going on and never told me. But there is always that small part htat says "fucker yuou hosed it up" but i honestly have no idea how.

how the gently caress tdo you let that happen? i mean i kind of get it, none of their bizness of whatever and plausable deniablity but come the gently caress on.

i say i;'m miseralb but the reality is that im not misreable or depressed, i'mv loving pissed thefuck off. and the double life i've tried to lead to make it easy for my kid is doing neighther one of us any favors. h

but i just dont know what the gently caress to do. i am sorry as gently caress for being a loving downer and not givng my usual Tide drunkingposting but i needed to exise this poo poo get it out and listen to internt strangers on what the gently caress t do because i dont even know how to bring this subject up with anyone in the know.

At least your fairly good looking and we're once good at baseball

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Also lol at Tide for getting probated for a 9000 word post in the big brother thread

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Excuse me for not giving a poo poo about Tide "insulated racist white alabaman internet stranger" 's marital strife in fact finding it mildly humorous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The cool thing about DLC is you don't have to buy it, unless the game is good, then you might want to buy it.

Games are super cheap and its awesome unless youre some saddo who needs everything on release day

• Locked thread