Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

If it's already tomorrow, why am I still pretending to work instead of being on vacation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Had a fine day here also. Nothing special, but fine. Well, until the power went out, but luckily that didn't last long. Rib-eye thawed out for lunch tomorrow.

Also, god drat you guys posted a lot while I was on vacation, took me all week to catch up with this thread!

For catch-up poo poo... Job chat - I too am an IT dude!

I started my working life (after the usual mish-mash of random retail/courier/warehouse type stuff after high-school) in IT, first as a network admin for a small company, then managed a help desk, then went into the corporate world in support, which moved me to a network manager position for a hotel chain and then... I got outsourced. This was during the period of time where IT people were regularly 'taking sabbaticals' and poo poo, so I decided to take a few months off before looking for a job. Big mistake, as towards the end of my break, the market crashed and burned. Burned through all of my savings before I spent the next 10+ years of my life in construction, then got caught in the housing bubble/crash in 08', after which I ended up back in IT (after again going through my savings and into debt), but this time on the software side as a QA dude.

So my 3rd major career began when I was already 46 years old. 5 years in, I seem to have found my perfect job, as I am really good at it without really trying very hard (I naturally find fault in things before seeing the good - this is fantastic for personal relationships! Which is no doubt why I'm still single). While I can't say that I 'love' my job, I do enjoy it, and I love the people I am working with, so hey, I'm an IT guy who doesn't dislike the job that is making me a good living. I've gotten two promotions and a 50% increase in pay over the 5 years (and the next merit increase is October 1st), while the other two QA people that were hired at the same time haven't gotten a single promotion and a single 2-3% increase per year.

So life is pretty good. Just wish I'd found my 'niche' 30 years ago so that I'd be making a lot more money and have a nice retirement set up, rather than being in a position where I will probably have to work well into my late 60's at least. Oh well.

Oh, and I'm almost not upside-down on my house from the crash anymore! I figure another 2 years and I can actually think about moving close to work and get rid of my 52 mile one-way commute.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

I interrupt this pun broadcast for an emergency bulletin. Again, we say, WHAT THE gently caress GUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb_BURLuI70

I love discovering a new channel, and I think I'll put another effortpost in with links to their channel pages soon. I have maybe 60 that I subscribe to, which is enough for at least two-four new, good videos a day. Youtube is my new TV.

That guy is pretty funny. Not sure what that says about my sense of humor, but thanks for the link to that channel.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

Well hey, DIY is now it's own sub instead of a sub-sub.

Yea, I had a brief moment of panic when I noticed it wasn't where I expected it to be.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

wallaka posted:

The OSHA thread will be missed.

True.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

In the past 6+ months I've played.. umm... maybe 15 battles in World of Tanks and.... yea, that's about it. Last time I really spent any time gaming was when Fallout 4 came out. Yet somehow I still keep my PC upgraded enough to be able to play the newest poo poo, which I never actually get. :shepspends:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Wrar posted:

It's not an eye strain problem. I don't smartphone game either. I just don't like tiny screens, and I like comfy chairs.

The only type of game I'll play on my smartphone are the goofy time-wasting puzzle games, and then only to kill time when I'm in a waiting room or something. There is no way I'd ever try to play any sort of action or 'real' game on my phone, screen is just too small.

I don't watch movies on my phone either, and don't really understand how anyone can get any enjoyment out of watching a movie on such a tiny screen.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

Still have a high of 100, though :sigh:

High is only supposed to be like.. 88 today though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

Whoops, that's tomorrow

Yea, we are in that 'end of summer' period where it's beautiful one day, hot the next, and just sort of randomly makes 20 degree temp changes in a few days. Oh well, lot better than living in Minnesota. :)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

kastein posted:

You can probably get them for cheaper on digikey/mouser, at least in bulk. I used to not trust them but IIRC they are listed in NASA 8739.4 as an acceptable splice... good enough for the space shuttle is good enough for me.

I'm not sure that's a great reference point given that the shuttles have a 40% catastrophic failure rate. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

If you see a rental sailboat (larger than a dingy), the chances are extremely high that the renter had to pass some fairly rigorous sailing & rules tests prior to being allowed to rent. So it's kind of odd/backwards, that the people who rent sailboats probably know more about the rules and boat handling than most of the dudes who own their own powerboat.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

Awesome! Came home to an 85 degree apartment and a tripped breaker for the ac.

I'm not sure which is more impressive... a ~5-10 year old ac taking a poo poo, or an early 80s FPE Stab-Lok breaker actually tripping. I reset the breaker, went outside, and stood next to the ac and kicked it on via Nest (yay internet thermostats), and holy poo poo that thing makes a horrific racket for a few seconds (a bit like a 4.0 that's thrown 2 or 3 rods), followed by a loud "clunk", a nice 60 hz buzz, then a tripped breaker.

At least it's a nice enough night that I can leave the windows open.

From your description it sounds like a bad cap. Pretty common a/c failure and quick and easy to fix.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Sorry about your cat Bloodbag. Losing pets sucks.

bend posted:

I can't handle this poo poo with me dog, just sitting around watching him and knowing that he has a month or two at best. I just keep breaking down since I got the news yesterday and he keeps coming up and putting his head on my lap because he knows somethings wrong but he doesn't know what. He's eleven now and he's never spent more than a little while anywhere but right under my feet, and he's survived everything till right now. I mean the neighbours tried to poison him, he got shot at ny farmers, the stupid bastard even got his drat head run over a couple of years ago (didn't bother him in the least, just a couple of scrapes he's got a skull like a loving tank apparently) and now I just have to sit here and watch him die. he's not in any pain at least, just tired and sick and doesn't want to do much of anything.
Sorry for dumping on you guys, I just can't keep doing it to my partner, she keeps telling me it's alright but it's not, she needs me to be there for her not the other way round.

Ugh.. that's horrible, and I don't know how I'd handle it. You have my condolences, wish there was something else that could be done to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Cakefool posted:

I have no idea who half of you are now. So basically you have the opportunity to reinvent yourselves to those of us who don't pay attention.

This is me, the person who doesn't pay enough attention to recognize who most of the name changers are. Some exceptions, but.. oh well.

• Locked thread