Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tropical storm = Urban skimboarding oh yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Friend of mine drove her HHR through a salt water flood during our little hurricane and stalled it. Turns over but there's no knocking. Had it towed to her mechanic and he said the valves might be bent so he's gonna take the head off and check......Is it even possible to bend just the valves and not rods after ingesting water?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hurricane just went through us and saturated the ground, now there's a giant line of thunderstorms rolling through and everything is under water. Never seen my street flooded like this, holy gently caress.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Took my stand up paddle board out and went for a cruise around the neighborhood :v:

Stranded cars everywhere :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

after doing all the poo poo that I've had to do to the saturn i'm super ready to have a new car with modern technology and also ford motor company electrical issues

Same here. I'm gonna sell my two old cars and get one newer car because I'm sick of constantly fixing the old ones. I want to do nothing more than oil changes and rotate/replace tires for the next five years dammit. And brakes are ok too I guess, but that's it I'm over it :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Am I the only one that still listens to CD's in a car? Maybe it's just me, but in a decent aftermarket system CD's sound better. Never really liked loving around with music files in a car either. Maybe I'm just old school and used to CD's I dunno.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

scuz posted:

They'll still play your CDs, though, every DVD player will.

CDs are fun and good. More rare these days is the time taken to put together a good album in a good order. Our band agonized over the song order on our album and we're pretty sure nobody's gonna listen to it in that order anyway.

But see I like listening to an album (CD) order the way it was intended. For instance listening to Duran Duran's Rio out of order just doesn't sound right, but that's only because i've been listening to it in the proper order since 1982. And more recently, Tame Impala's Currents flows perfect in the intended order, and sounds WAY better on pressed CD in my car than the files did off my phone.

Also I have so many loving Cd's it's just easier to throw a bunch in my car and rotate them now and then. It's just easier and sounds better imo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Things I've learned in September:

1) Leica is OLLLLLD

And not fat :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

Because otherwise corporate starts screeching about payroll at people that can make your life hell. :v:

Also, had a customer threaten to come over the counter at me and another employee today. He dropped his transfer case to replace a leaking seal without having the poo poo ready, got pissed we didn't have it and told him the nearest one was in another state, so it would be tuesday at noon before we got it. He demanded we get it here today before dark, co-worker told him no way. Was waiting for him to demand it from me so I could tell him my magic wand was out of fairy dust. :haw:

Better than having to deal with legit 5150 nut cases and drunk idiots. As soon as I walk into work today, had to confront some drunk dude trying to molest the house keepers and have him arrested for assault. Oh and theft for stealing poo poo out of rooms, he went and tried to hide in the McDonalds across the street and they found all the poo poo he stole in the garbage. Dude was sitting down eating a big mac like nothing happened playing dumb.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Cross posting from FB

About 25 minutes ago I walked into Menards. I did not find the item I was after so I pulled out my phone to check for the other option and my phone turned off. It then began quickly grow hot to the touch. This kind of wigged me out so I quickly exited the building. My phone is a Nexus 5X, not an exploding Samsung.
Then, when I went to enter my car, the keyless touch pad didn't work. I had to pull the physical key out and the fob was also incredibly hot. I could not reactivate my phone until I was a good distance from the building and the battery in the remote was new 4 weeks ago.

The key fob was so hot I couldn't pry the battery out then and there. My phone was so hot I couldn't keep it in my pocket. When the phone came back on my battery was down to 5% and the battery in the key is drained.

I'm not saying Menards is run by aliens but........:tinfoil:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

blk posted:

OK AI, what's the closest thing to a 4 door Miata that's daily drivable (no stripped race cars), is not an E30 or FiST and is available and repairable in the States?

What nm and Phone said. I haven't driven one yet, but from what I've heard a Mazda 2 is the closest thing you can get to a Miata with a roof and four doors.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is probably the best thing about working IT. I can hate my job and not ruin any of my passions.
I still love photography, and working on motorcycles even though I haven't done much of either lately.
I'm starting to get a little disenchanted with cooking. BUT THANK loving GOD I'm not forced to do any of them to make a living. Or, I would probably hate them all.

I made a living as a photographer for 4 years. I take pics with my phone now mostly, could give a gently caress about photography and I used to love it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

Protip: don't go poking around under your car if your head will be laying in grass before you check for ant hills.

My neck and chest look like someone took birdshot to them.

Fire ants? drat son. I stood on a fire ant hill with flip flops on once it was loving horrible, I hate those bastards.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You can get excellent bokeh with prime lenses just fine. My Canon 135L produced the best bokeh I've ever seen and I've had Leica setups before. Zooms are great if you need them, most of the time you don't.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha, when I joined the forums I was deep into my obsession with Leica cameras and lenses so yeah. Seemed like a good username at the time :smith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've still got one of my 20D's from back in the day, works just fine. I made a lot of money off 10D's and 20D's, it's the glass that really counts.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

A grade-A case of "tantrum followed by taking ones toys and going home" from the look of it.

Likely brought on by that lovely disaster of a car dealer thread if I had to guess.

We've had other threads like that in the past where AI unanimously bashes car salesmen and then one or two actual salesmen come in and try to argue. Never works out well for them, I wonder why.

[e] Haha, he went through every one of his posts in that thread and edited them out even though most of them were quoted anyway, what a moron.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 16, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sweet tea is terrible when people don't know how to make it and it ends up tasting like sugar water.

Made (brewed) correctly with a modest amount of sugar and it's awesome.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Enourmo posted:

So I still dunno about ever having kids (assuming I'm ever in a position to decide lmao) but drat my niece is amazing. 2y+1m old and she's like warning me to get back on the porch because of stormclouds and poo poo. Like what the gently caress.

Was fishing with my son (8yrs), and I was instructing him to reel in the fake shrimp slowly to mimic it's movement. He says to me "How slow? Like 90's internet slow?"

I just kinda stood there like wat :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Trailing edge gaming is where it's at. My trigger price point is $20 or under, for console games. I don't have a ballsy PC or Mac, so I don't do too much PC gaming. Just really old stuff, or simple stuff.

Same here with a PS3. Just picked up Dirt3 for 13 bucks, and got the last MotoGP for around 20 bucks.

Hell I got the IntialD import super cheap too. I really don't see the need for upgrading to PS4 or to start PC gaming.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Going to Boston for a wedding next weekend, and the lows are forecast to be in the 50's so yeah that's gonna suck.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

Drop on by if you have a chance dude! Home's in Southbridge (a bit of a haul for you) but the flying car factory I work at is in Woburn (20min north of the city in ideal traffic) and you're more than welcome to come by for a tour and/or food if you will be around Friday or Monday due to flight times.

Appreciate the offer man, but it's gonna be a get in/get out kinda deal since we both have to work :smith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jose Fernandez found dead after his boat hit a jetty at full speed at 3am in the morning, Jesus Christ.

So many people with boats/PWC's in FL and half of them don't know what the gently caress they're doing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

This is more thought than I'd ever want to put into Michelob Ultra

You know why it's compared to sex on a canoe right?

Because it's loving close to water.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Hug your drat kids and pray for their lifelong safety.

I do every day. There is nothing like the worry and anxiety of having a child in this world where literally anything bad could happen to them, but at the same time trying not to shelter them and letting them figure out some poo poo for themselves. It's a delicate balance and it's nerve wracking

:smith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Still haven't got to mine yet :ohdear:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Changed it already? I think I'll keep mine for awhile :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

I was a mess when my wife went in for a gallbladder removal and it took about 3x as long as predicted without receiving any updates at all. Everything went fine but the reason for the delay turned out to be that because it had been misdiagnosed by multiple doctors for so long (chest wall injury? really?) that it nearly required converting from a laparoscopic procedure to the much more involved open version. It thus turned into a two or three day hospital stay instead of the one that was planned.

Exact thing happened to my wife, diagnosed with ulcers multiple times, and ended up with emergency gallbladder removal when she collapsed in pain on the floor one day. Could have killed her if she hadn't made it to the emergency room when she did.....My son was 3 years old at the time and was contemplating life without my wife and my son without a mother, it was not good there for a bit.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slidebite posted:

We have relatives (NOT MY SIDE) moving from the Caribbean back to Canada next weekend. The wife refuses to put the 2 cats in the cargo hold so she and her husband are putting them in carriers and bringing them in the cabin for the entire flight from SXM-YYZ-YYC.

I completely expect to hear a news story Sunday morning about the flight where passengers can't take it anymore and either outright kill the 2 wailing cats or attempt to throw them out an emergency exit at FL35.

I've taken cats on 2 day road trips and on planes. They usually freak out for a few hours at first but then calm down and stay quiet. By the time I had gotten to the airport he was over it already and was nice and quiet for the plane ride. It really not that bad, most cats travel ok unless you have a basket case cat which is entirely possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maybe I got lucky then. In total, 3 different cats I traveled with and neither one of them made much of a stink.

• Locked thread