Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Prince John posted:

If there was no health effects, I could be tempted. Used to love my hookah pipe when younger and am reminded of it every time someone vaping walks past.
Hookah pipes are supposedly 10x worse than cigarettes based on the time you spend sucking on a hose hooked up to a huge piece of smoldering sugar charcoal, and the water only cools it, it strips out none of the carbon monoxide and hardly any of the tars.
Double apple is tasty though.

Vapes we have no idea of the health effects, only that the main bases (vegetable glycerine and propylene glycol) have been used in smoke/fog machines for decades without stage techs dying, but some of the flavorings (esp. butter/butterscotch) like diacetyl have been proven to be terrible for your lungs (it was first spotted in popcorn factory workers getting chronic lung disease) and should be avoided. There are some minor levels of combustion byproducts like formaldehyde, but they're about in line with eating a pear. Worries about organo-nickel salts forming on nickel coils are a potential concern, but they seem to only occur when you deliberately run the coil at red heat. I have no problem with a warning label on high power coils saying "jacking up the temperature to make huge clouds can kill" because it's going to end up true one way or another.

e: 6 - Benzene is an aromatic ring of six carbon atoms and will give you cancer if you breathe enough of it. It's present in coal tar, most plant matter combustion materials, and used to be used in aftershave.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

J.K. Rowling has also been telling people that Corbyn is not Dumbledore, which is a bit of a relief since that means he's not an arsehole who puts kids on the frontline of a wizarding war.

She also endorsed Jim Murphy by saying he'd be in Gryffindor. Nothing says well thought out, nuanced views on politics than by viewing it through the prism of your own fantasy books for children.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Baron Corbyn posted:

She also endorsed Jim Murphy by saying he'd be in Gryffindor. Nothing says well thought out, nuanced views on politics than by viewing it through the prism of your own fantasy books for children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yszh_KxeUWU

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Yeah but people dont get Harry Potter they think Snape was a hero even though until the girl he creeped on was getting killed he was fully in with Voldemort and probably supported the killing of muggle borns.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

e: 6 - Benzene is an aromatic ring of six carbon atoms and will give you cancer if you breathe enough of it. It's present in coal tar, most plant matter combustion materials, and used to be used in aftershave.

Benzene is also one of the few molecules I can remember how to draw from the many moons ago when I studied Chemistry at HIgher. Isn't it a Hexagon with a circle inside it? Or a hexagon with a line round every second edge to represent the double bonds?

Oh the joys of the hydrocarbons.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Isn't nicotine really bad for you either way you just don't get the inhaling smoke from vaping? My phone tried to autocorrect that to camping

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Jose posted:

Isn't nicotine really bad for you either way you just don't get the inhaling smoke from vaping? My phone tried to autocorrect that to camping

Its not good for you at all but is far from the worst thing in fags.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Benzene is also one of the few molecules I can remember how to draw from the many moons ago when I studied Chemistry at HIgher. Isn't it a Hexagon with a circle inside it? Or a hexagon with a line round every second edge to represent the double bonds?

Yep! You get a gold star and a A grade.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

StoneOfShame posted:

Its not good for you at all but is far from the worst thing in fags.

That just prompted me to look it up

quote:

The estimated lower limit of a lethal dose of nicotine has been reported as between 500 and 1000 mg.[7] Children may become ill following ingestion of one cigarette;[8] ingestion of more than this may cause a child to become severely ill.[5][9] The nicotine in the e-liquid of an electronic cigarette can be hazardous to infants and children, through accidental ingestion or skin contact.[10] In some cases children have become poisoned by topical medicinal creams which contain nicotine.[11]

People who harvest or cultivate tobacco may experience Green Tobacco Sickness (GTS), a type of nicotine poisoning caused by skin contact with wet tobacco leaves. This occurs most commonly in young, inexperienced tobacco harvesters who do not consume tobacco.[4][12]

Edit:

quote:

Smoking excessive amounts of tobacco has also led to poisoning; a case was reported where two brothers smoked 17 and 18 pipes of tobacco in succession and were both fatally poisoned.[2]

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Those brothers are idiots.

Edit: Were idiots.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, either the hexagon with alternating lines (Kekule) or with a circle in the middle (the other guy) are accepted ways to draw it, as long as you're consistent. In reality it's a hexagon with a ring shaped cloud of electrons (or electron probabilities if we're going quantum) above and below it, which is somewhere between a single and double bond in strength. It's unusual stability as a functional group makes it a cornerstone of a large amount of org and biochem, and it's ability to nestle in DNA and cause chromosome breaks makes it a dick.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Guavanaut posted:

The kids all vape now.

Hey now with the lovely construction, lovely batteries and lovely chargers you get with lovely vapes you can still burn poo poo down with them by accident. Usually just your pockets though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Baron Corbyn posted:

I'm more concerned that the most egregious case of "gently caress you got mine" in history is coming from a woman with millions of devoted fans.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

really bad for your cardiovascular system, insanely addictive. not tar though

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, either the hexagon with alternating lines (Kekule) or with a circle in the middle (the other guy) are accepted ways to draw it, as long as you're consistent. In reality it's a hexagon with a ring shaped cloud of electrons (or electron probabilities if we're going quantum) above and below it, which is somewhere between a single and double bond in strength. It's unusual stability as a functional group makes it a cornerstone of a large amount of org and biochem, and it's ability to nestle in DNA and cause chromosome breaks makes it a dick.

Chemistry is fun. I wish I remembered more of it. Instead it's just a line on my CV that really has no relevance at this point. Though there was always a disappointing lack of things going boom, at least acids were always fun to play with.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

CoolCab posted:

really bad for your cardiovascular system, insanely addictive. not tar though

There's a question. Is vaping less addictive due to the lack of "ignition agents" or whatever they called the pro-nicotine agents in the 80s before the big seven dwarves perjury thing?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Jedit posted:

I'm more concerned that the most egregious case of "gently caress you got mine" in history is coming from a woman with millions of devoted fans.

Surprised you're not defending Rowling to the death based on her consistent dislike of the SNP and her use of Twitter and her fans to campaign against them.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

OK, this really is amazing.

quote:

Owen Smith says the "worst Health Secretary in history" Jeremy Hunt must be "sacked immediately" - and has claimed it's Jeremy Corbyn 's fault he still has a job.

[...]

Mr Smith claimed it was the fault of his rival Jeremy Corbyn, who has repeatedly condemned Mr Hunt and attended marches with junior doctors, that Theresa May felt strong enough to keep him in post.

Mr Smith said Mrs May should sack Mr Hunt, and Labour should force a no confidence vote in Parliament if she does not.

Such a vote would be unlikely to succeed because the Tories have a majority. It is also not clear if a victory would be legally binding.

[...]

He said: "This situation has been brought about by a combination of chronic underfunding, a botched reorganisation and the worst Health Secretary in the NHS’s history.

“It is simply astounding that on the day Theresa May walked into Number 10 one of the first decisions she made was to keep Jeremy Hunt in post.

"It highlights the weakness of Labour Party under Jeremy Corbyn that Mrs May felt she could keep him on in the job, despite him having lost the faith and trust of patients and staff."

After a vote of no confidence worked so well last time, Smith proposes it as a way to force out Hunt. Also manages to blame Corbyn, who has campaigned with the doctors and called for Hunt to be sacked in Parliament, while conveniently forgetting that he himself did loving nothing while he was Shadow Health Secretary. Does he really think people are that stupid to not notice?

Scikar fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 1, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Scikar posted:

Also manages to blame Corbyn, who has campaigned with the doctors and called for Hunt to be sacked in Parliament, while conveniently forgetting that he himself did loving nothing while he was Shadow Health Secretary. Does he really think people are that stupid to not notice?
And who made the mistake of appointing someone like Smith to the shadow cabinet? Checkmate, Corbynalures :smugbert:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
At some point Owen Smith is just going to pull his pants down, take a huge steaming dump on stage and then say that Corbyn did it and He Is Bad

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Scikar posted:

After a vote of no confidence worked so well last time, Smith proposes it as a way to force out Hunt. Also manages to blame Corbyn, who has campaigned with the doctors and called for Hunt to be sacked in Parliament, while conveniently forgetting that he himself did loving nothing while he was Shadow Health Secretary. Does he really think people are that stupid to not notice?

It's like a they're under a curse. Everyone that dislikes Corbyn is unable to articulate why they don't like him and why he is not fit for the job. So instead they just say "he bad". Some of them can manage an illogical sentence about how "that's all very good but it's not going to help them WIN".

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Grimey Drawer
Jamimancy.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

forkboy84 posted:

Chemistry is fun. I wish I remembered more of it. Instead it's just a line on my CV that really has no relevance at this point. Though there was always a disappointing lack of things going boom, at least acids were always fun to play with.

This might be your jam

http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/category/things-i-wont-work-with

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

StoneOfShame posted:

Yeah but people dont get Harry Potter they think Snape was a hero even though until the girl he creeped on was getting killed he was fully in with Voldemort and probably supported the killing of muggle borns.

In the terrible new play, they go to great lengths to show that Snape, despite what you mentioned, is supposed to be a heroic character. They end up in an alternate timeline where Snape's alive and one of the characters explains to Snape everything that he obviously already knows about being a plant for Dumbledore and tells him what a hero he is for doing so.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

And who made the mistake of appointing someone like Smith to the shadow cabinet? Checkmate, Corbynalures :smugbert:

I'm not especially fond of the fable of the farmer and the viper (or the scorpion and the frog), but this would seem to be a perfect example of it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Baron Corbyn posted:

In the terrible new play, they go to great lengths to show that Snape, despite what you mentioned, is supposed to be a heroic character. They end up in an alternate timeline where Snape's alive and one of the characters explains to Snape everything that he obviously already knows about being a plant for Dumbledore and tells him what a hero he is for doing so.

Wow that's bad. I stand by my assertion that the original books are Okay For Kids But Ultimately Not Great, and have long since been surpassed by various fanfictions in terms of fun and coherent plots that aren't dumb. Those derivative works wouldn't exist without Rowling though, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

JK Rowling has one of the biggest cult of personalities in the UK today and yet it's Jezza and his supporters who are the problem

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Renaissance Robot posted:

Wow that's bad. I stand by my assertion that the original books are Okay For Kids But Ultimately Not Great, and have long since been surpassed by various fanfictions in terms of fun and coherent plots that aren't dumb. Those derivative works wouldn't exist without Rowling though, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What about the one fanfiction called something like Harry Potter and the Methods of Rational Autism which takes all the fun out of the magical world

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So the BMA have announced three more 5 days strikes, one a month from now until the end of the year.

These are full walk-outs, so they represent a pretty big escalation. Essentially NHS elective work, meaning routine operations and clinic appointments, are going to be reduced by a quarter for the rest of the year.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

WeAreTheRomans posted:

What about the one fanfiction called something like Harry Potter and the Methods of Rational Autism which takes all the fun out of the magical world

That's even dumber but I appreciate its existence because it is unintentionally hilarious.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Spangly A posted:

There's a question. Is vaping less addictive due to the lack of "ignition agents" or whatever they called the pro-nicotine agents in the 80s before the big seven dwarves perjury thing?

dunno, i would blind guess you're getting a lot more nicotine in a vape then with conventional tabacco, but that's not backed by me knowing anything, just the fact that vapers seem to exhale literal nicotine tornados

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

That's even dumber but I appreciate its existence because it is unintentionally hilarious.

You'll be surprised to discover the guy who made that thing is a nutcase

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

WeAreTheRomans posted:

It's not even rational because it takes one thing (Bayes' Theorem) and throws it at literally every problem while being sloppy as gently caress with priors.

It did result in this fanfiction fanfiction though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXARrMadTKk

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

jabby posted:

So the BMA have announced three more 5 days strikes, one a month from now until the end of the year.

These are full walk-outs, so they represent a pretty big escalation. Essentially NHS elective work, meaning routine operations and clinic appointments, are going to be reduced by a quarter for the rest of the year.

Yeah I saw this on a news headline yesterday (you posted the original "we're doing this" statement a few weeks ago though right?) and the BONG trailer was pretty much just Jeremy Hunt's statement saying this is bad and wrong and they're hurting the NHS. Then for the actual story they repeated it again

Obviously it's Jeremy Corbyn's fault that the news is confident enough to present the story from Jeremy Hunt's point of view. If Labour were a more effective opposition this wouldn't be happening

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
So, in the last year and a half the ceiling in our shared house's front room has collapsed twice due to flooding from the shower above as well as having the electrics blow and need to be re-wired twice. In the last week I'd heard scratching for the last week but assumed it was mice, and last night it sounded like something was rearranging the crap up my sink (mostly plastic bags, bin liners, kitchen roll and the like) so you can imagine my surprise when I got in from work to see a loving rat leaping off the lip of my bin to scurry away. Basically, at which point can I tell the lettings agency to go gently caress themselves with regards to rent and fix this poo poo?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Scikar posted:

Its not actually that horrible and idea to get a minister sacked :shrug:. The UK has no established custom about motions of no confidence in individual ministers but other countries have em (Ireland and the Netherlands for example) and its not necessarily a bad way to try to force out a minister if the rest of his party will not go to the mat to keep him in (and was proposed by petition like last year for Hunt as well if I'm remembering right?)

It may have no customary standing but the opposition trying to expand their toolkit for challenging the government is not a bad thing and I don't think anyone is arguing if someone formally loses the confidence of parliament it can just be ignored.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Yeah I saw this on a news headline yesterday (you posted the original "we're doing this" statement a few weeks ago though right?) and the BONG trailer was pretty much just Jeremy Hunt's statement saying this is bad and wrong and they're hurting the NHS. Then for the actual story they repeated it again

Obviously it's Jeremy Corbyn's fault that the news is confident enough to present the story from Jeremy Hunt's point of view. If Labour were a more effective opposition this wouldn't be happening

Yesterday they announced a single 5 day strike in September, in the last hour they announced three more in October, November and December.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

baka kaba posted:

There was a BBC news article about it today too. I could only skim but from the looks of it it was trying to "explain" the conflict by just pointing out that junior drs are apparently miffed only about the scale of pay, with little or no mention of the staffing issues.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

kustomkarkommando posted:

I don't think anyone is arguing if someone formally loses the confidence of parliament it can just be ignored.

Apart from Jeremy Corbyn

*ducks*

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

So, in the last year and a half the ceiling in our shared house's front room has collapsed twice due to flooding from the shower above as well as having the electrics blow and need to be re-wired twice. In the last week I'd heard scratching for the last week but assumed it was mice, and last night it sounded like something was rearranging the crap up my sink (mostly plastic bags, bin liners, kitchen roll and the like) so you can imagine my surprise when I got in from work to see a loving rat leaping off the lip of my bin to scurry away. Basically, at which point can I tell the lettings agency to go gently caress themselves with regards to rent and fix this poo poo?

From your post, it looks like the lettings agency has actually fixed the ceiling twice and re-wired the electrics twice (aka, they've actually upheld their obligations for repairs).

You're probably on shaky ground for withholding rent if that's the case, although if they refuse to send out the pest control for your rat problem then that could eventually be grounds for holding it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Oberleutnant posted:

There was a BBC news article about it today too. I could only skim but from the looks of it it was trying to "explain" the conflict by just pointing out that junior drs are apparently miffed only about the scale of pay, with little or no mention of the staffing issues.

The BBC article didn't even mention the JDs point of view until the last couple of paragraphs, and basically ignored the serious safety, understaffing, underfunding concerns.

To nobody's surprise.

• Locked thread