Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

What a crazy month August was. With Congress off on vacation and Donald Trump collapsed at the beginning of the month, there was plenty of anti-Arzying to go around. At least until his "convincing" Immigration speech at the end. But now things are getting real, with the return of Congress and the elections coming soon, there's plenty of news still to come. Just remember:

• There are 67 days to election day.
  • There are 26 days before Donald J. Trump "wins" the first debate.
  • There are 17 (work) days remaining for Congress to pass appropriations bills or a continuing resolution before the government shuts down.
  • There's probably 1 day before the New York Times or the AP puts out another lovely headline giving Trump the benefit of the doubt.
  • There are 0 days before someone derails this thread talking about some inane policy position like how they're actually a single-issue voter about weed and how that means they're actually voting for Gary Johnson.

So sit back, relax, and drink responsibly. This is USPOL September.

114th Congress Bingo Card

Congress was off all last month, so nothing to see here.

Other News

Talk to other goons (why would you want to do that?)
Remember that we have an IRC channel at synirc in #poligoon for livesteaming stuff.

Goon Recommendations
Documentaries

Talks

Long pieces

Books

Twitter feeds

• @costareports (Robert Costa, Washington Post, formerly National Review): Conservative-leaning journalist to whom Republican sources often leak backroom stories (Republican retreats, Presidential campaigns, etc.)
  • @daveweigel (Dave Weigel, Bloomberg Politics, formerly Slate): "Idiosyncratic libertarian" journalist who is second only to Robert Costa in connections/interviews with Republican officials. Contrary to popular belief, not D&D superstar Joementum.
  • @BruceBartlett (Bruce Bartlett, ex-Reagan/Bush official): "Lifelong conservative who now thinks the GOP panders to fools, whom he calls wankers. My tweets should not always be taken seriously."
  • The following are semi-random selections from a list offered by Rygar201 and may be good or bad.
    • @owillis (Olivier Willis, research fellow, Media Matters)
    • @mattyglesias (Matt Yglesias, executive editor, Vox)
    • @JuddLegum (Judd Legum, Editor-in-Chief, Think Progress)
    • @dick_nixon "37th President of the United States. Messages from the President are unsigned, others from Ronald Ziegler. "
    • @EricBoehlert (Eric Boehlert, Media Matters)
    • @JamilSmith (Jamil Smith, senior editor, The New Republic)
    • @jonathanchait (Jonathan Chait, New York Magazine)
    • @nielslesniewski (Neils Lesniewski, Senate coverage, Roll Call)
    • @abwhite7 (Abraham White, former comms for Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chuck Schumer (D-NY))
    • @DSenFloor (Senate D Floor Watch): "Live floor updates from the Senate Democrats"
    • @billmon1 (Billmon)
    • @ebruenig (Elizabeth Bruenig, The New Republic)

Related threads
"US Politics" is an incredibly broad topic, as A) the country is freaking huge and B) given our role in international events pretty much everything impacts us. So there are other subthreads
2016 Presidential Primary
2016 US Senate Elections
SCOTUS thread
Right Wing Media

There are also regional subthreads that are usually pretty slow, but sometimes cross-pollinate with this thread when something important is happening.
Pacific Northwest
Illinois
Texas
California
Kansas

Lifted the rest of the above from FriedChicken. As before post suggestions for adding to the above and I'll edit them in if I see them.

And remember folks, drink chat goes in D&D chat thread. Drink responsibly. Your liver will thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Let's see how Trump does in one month.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Hail Satan!

Just wanted to ruin everyone's day and I don't really know where to put this story. Yeah those are tears gently caress you.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

ntan1 posted:

Let's see how Trump does in one month.

I was going to name this thread USPOL September: The Rehabilitation of Donald J. Trump but changed my mind.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Can we go back to women crushing watermelons with their thighs?

Cause that was good.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

goon evening uspol

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I hope this thread goes better than las-

SSNeoman posted:

Can we go back to women crushing watermelons with their thighs?

Cause that was good.

never mind

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Will we get Star Wars avs for posting in this thread, too?

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:
Looking forwards to Trump not literally making GBS threads himself on stage during the debates, which will be declared a tie by the NYT as the desperately try to sell the horse race.

Also looking forwards to Kellyanne Conway losing her goddamn mind.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Trump looked really good yesterday, He was briefly calm and subdued before again embracing the behavior of a mentally disabled pathological liar. He didn't even drop trou on stage and poo poo all over the place. If that's not presidential material what is huh?

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

TheOneOutside posted:

Looking forwards to Trump not literally making GBS threads himself on stage during the debates,

Can he though? He needs to last a full 90 minutes and his debate prep consists of reading conspiracy theories on twitter.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
So what's the deal with the cost of pretty essential medical treatment items (epipens, insulin, certain medicines) suddenly surging over the last two weeks? Haven't been keeping up much. Is it just a Shkreli thing where outside people are coming in, buying the rights to this stuff and jacking the price up because Congress allows them too?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Pellisworth posted:

Check out the SJ Gould article I linked earlier; scientific inquiry and religion occupy separate domains of thought or as he puts it, "magisteria."

Is there any evidence for the existence of God or the supernatural? Nope, not really. Religion is still hugely important in human culture, society, traditions, ethics and morality, etc. I don't expect people to agree with my personal beliefs, I push back against the hard-line atheist view that religion is an evil mind virus the human race would be better without. If you're an atheist, I still think you should respect the role religion plays in our society and not be a dickhead by condescending to them and saying your logic and rationality makes their God(s) irrelevant. Agnosticism is the most intellectually honest position: it's truly impossible to know whether deities or the supernatural exist or don't.

You fundamentally misunderstand theory of science if you're looking for empirical evidence to support religious beliefs. That is simply not something science and logic can do.
Um, again what are you going on about? I'm not getting it. You posted this:

Pellisworth posted:

Atheism is a belief system, which is something internet atheists are unable or unwilling to understand. Atheism is the belief that God(s) don't exist. It is not provable by science or logic. Your "faith" is that there is no God, and that's fine, but recognize it as such.
You went on to try to draw an equivalence between religion and atheism, as though they are just two sides of the same coin, and that neither has a claim to rationality and science or something.

You can try a retreat to "separate magisterium" if you like, but I'm not going to ignore the simple fact that many religions do make claims that ought to be testable. Not to mention that for many thousands of years these claims were taken very seriously and that doubting them in some cases could get you killed. Religion is steeped in explaining away "this is how the world actually works" and if you're going to deny that, then I don't even know where to start. I mean, I'd say "a loving history book" but I'd probably need to explain what a history book is? Religions both historically and to this day try to make claims about how things are, and ought to be, and the only reason that anyone has to talk about separate magisteria these days is because the scientific method came along 400 years ago and absolutely wrecked religion's poo poo as a way to understand the universe and predict behavior. The scientific method doesn't exist alongside religion, it replaces it. If there is cultural inertia to religion, or if the parts of it that are not about how the universe came to be and functions, are important to some people or form an important part of how certain societies function, then that is a separate issue. We're better off with good old fashioned humanism and social psychology, of course, but that's a separate argument and I'm not going to get into it here.

But to suggest atheism requires faith, as you have, or to say "agnosticism is the most intellectually honest position" is in fact intellectually dishonest as hell. I can think up any number of far-fetched schemes to get the universe into the state it is in today, including "the universe popped into existence in this state five seconds ago for no reason" and we could all try to measure how full of poo poo that is - but to insist that in the case of a divine creator we must withhold judgement because it could be true, guys, you just don't know, okay? is putting that particular belief above all the other evidence-free confabulations for no reason at all other than historical baggage, which is really unscientific.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Axetrain posted:

Trump looked really good yesterday, He was briefly calm and subdued before again embracing the behavior of a mentally disabled pathological liar. He didn't even drop trou on stage and poo poo all over the place. If that's not presidential material what is huh?
Well are we using the Democratic or Republican rules here, because there's a different set of standards. you might say a sort of, double standard.

Kilroy posted:

But to suggest atheism requires faith, as you have, or to say "agnosticism is the most intellectually honest position" is in fact intellectually dishonest as hell. I can think up any number of far-fetched schemes to get the universe into the state it is in today, including "the universe popped into existence in this state five seconds ago for no reason" and we could all try to measure how full of poo poo that is - but to insist that in the case of a divine creator we must withhold judgement because it could be true, guys, you just don't know, okay? is putting that particular belief above all the other evidence-free confabulations for no reason at all other than historical baggage, which is really unscientific.
personally, I think there's two kinds of atheism, the general sort and the specific "I think the religions in my particular cultural and historical environment are full of poo poo in very specific ways," and the two get strongly connected, but aren't necessarily connected.

There's certainly more than one atheism out there.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kilroy posted:

Um, again what are you going on about? I'm not getting it. You posted this:

You went on to try to draw an equivalence between religion and atheism, as though they are just two sides of the same coin, and that neither has a claim to rationality and science or something.

Atheism requires faith since it has a premise that is impossible to support by evidence.

Atheism isn't backed by science, it isn't backed by empiricism and can never be.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 1, 2016

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Trabisnikof posted:

Atheism requires faith since it has a premise that is impossible to support by evidence.
Okay, so does the belief that the universe did not pop into existence suddenly and for no reason five seconds also require this "faith", and if so can you elaborate on what faith actually is?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kilroy posted:

Okay, so does the belief that the universe did not pop into existence suddenly and for no reason five seconds also require this "faith", and if so can you elaborate on what faith actually is?

Yes. Empiricism requires faith to work as well too as you can't use empiricism to prove empiricism.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Trabisnikof posted:

Atheism isn't backed by science, it isn't backed by empiricism and can never be.

actually you're wrong

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Yes. Empiricism requires faith to work as well too as you can't use empiricism to prove empiricism.

in principle maybe but not in any way that's relevant for real life *walks off cliff because of lack of faith in empirical observations that show walking off a cliff kills you*

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

So literally everything requires faith in your mind?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

blowfish posted:

actually you're wrong

A stunning rebuttal!

But which part is wrong, that the non-existence of God isn't provable? Or do you honestly believe that atheism is scientific or backed by empirical evidence?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Andrast posted:

So literally everything requires faith in your mind?

I don't believe in platonic truths.

Science exists within a realm where we've placed our faith in empiricism and works quite well.

blowfish posted:

in principle maybe but not in any way that's relevant for real life *walks off cliff because of lack of faith in empirical observations that show walking off a cliff kills you*

Lol if you think you have empirical proof about God one way or another.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Well that's :nms: as gently caress

Somehow the gaudy rear end mobile-page ads at the end of the article make it worse.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
By the way just to clear up any confusion this is what I consider atheism, and I'm not interested in arguing whether this is "really" atheism or what. This is what is means to believe god and the supernatural are not real:

quote:

Bob: I believe a god created everything using his magic.

Alice: Can you prove this by presenting evidence which establishes this idea as the the most probable explanation to fit the facts?

Bob: Well, no, you see, because religion is a separate magisterium, so I'm not obligated to do that and can just believe these things for no reason. Other people have to take it seriously because they'll never be able to offer up evidence which will convince me to change my mind.

Alice: Oh, okay. Well, gently caress your theory, then.
In this dialogue, Alice is the atheist.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Nice OP, Comrade, but I think you may have messed up the order in the recent news section:

I suspect the intended meaning was that Milo Yiannopoulos is still an rear end in a top hat who does not matter, rather than the reverse.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Trump: "I'm going to make Mexico pay for a wall to keep themselves out of the US!"
Nieto: "I told him that Mexico won't be paying for a wall."
Trump: "We didn't discuss it."
Media: "Look how presidential he is!"

lol nothing matters, nothing makes sense

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Y'all need to read some Karl Popper, seriously, because this is some Epistemology 101 puerile bullshit.

PS. "Weak atheism" and "strong atheism" are already extant definitions, kindly stfu unless you are familiar with the difference

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Trabisnikof posted:

you didn't explain what faith is

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
*tries to build a technological civilization on the back of the assumption that π = 3, fails miserably*

*finally unfucks himself and starts doing things that make some sense*

Trabisnikof posted:

nice work retard, you're no better than the creationists :smug:

Dreadwind
Dec 1, 2009

Mezzanine posted:

Trump: "I'm going to make Mexico pay for a wall to keep themselves out of the US!"
Nieto: "I told him that Mexico won't be paying for a wall."
Trump: "We didn't discuss it."
Media: "Look how presidential he is!"

lol nothing matters, nothing makes sense

In order to stay sane I have to believe that this is just the longest, most expensive, and darkest performance art piece done by man.

And in true Andy Kaufman style Trump will never give the audience the satisfaction of admitting it was just an act.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Y'all need to read some Karl Popper, seriously, because this is some Epistemology 101 puerile bullshit.

PS. "Weak atheism" and "strong atheism" are already extant definitions, kindly stfu unless you are familiar with the difference
yeah strong atheism is almost always a strawman - that's the difference

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't believe in platonic truths.

Science exists within a realm where we've placed our faith in empiricism and works quite well.

Lol if you think you have empirical proof about God one way or another.

The assertion that god exists isn't different from every other wild-rear end claim you could make, and nobody asks for empirical proof of unicorn farts not existing either.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

We're 9 weeks away from Hillary being elected :abuela: of us all. Post leftist anthems (that should be national ones). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCnEAH5wCzo

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!
I actually have a position in this argument about atheism, but I would rather not poo poo up an unrelated thread with it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don't get how the atheist discussion is relevant to American politics since we're at least another decade away from having an open atheist in high office. We'll have a gay Muslim president before we have an atheist one.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't get how the atheist discussion is relevant to American politics since we're at least another decade away from having an open atheist in high office. We'll have a gay Muslim president before we have an atheist one.

Hillary's an open atheist???

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

athiests are the true persecuted minority in america!! athiest goons!!! like me!!!!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Luna Was Here posted:

So what's the deal with the cost of pretty essential medical treatment items (epipens, insulin, certain medicines) suddenly surging over the last two weeks? Haven't been keeping up much. Is it just a Shkreli thing where outside people are coming in, buying the rights to this stuff and jacking the price up because Congress allows them too?

It's not a sudden thing, it's been happening for decades. Private healthcare, at every level - from pharmaceuticals to the payment system to the doctors themselves - is ethically bankrupt and full to the brim with moral hazards that economically incentivize people to literally corner dying people on drugs and treatment they 100% need in order to turn a greater profit. Until we kill for-profit medical care we'll continue to have problems like this.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh boy we're going to plunge down the rabbit hole of solipsism to justify a claim that not believing in your religion is 'faith', I can't wait.

"But how do you know that telescope you're looking through even exists?.... Because you have faith?? :smugdog:" :smirks freshmanly:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

It's not a sudden thing, it's been happening for decades. Private healthcare, at every level - from pharmaceuticals to the payment system to the doctors themselves - is ethically bankrupt and full to the brim with moral hazards that economically incentivize people to literally corner dying people on drugs and treatment they 100% need in order to turn a greater profit. Until we kill for-profit medical care we'll continue to have problems like this.

So what's the solution to for-profit medical care? Putting it all under the government? And can't most of these drugs be imported from Europe or are the high profile ones (namely the insulin and the epi-pens) only made by the specific companies that are jacking the prices up?

• Locked thread