Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chael's biggest MMA regret was not getting up after falling down from spinning poo poo. As a fan there are too many frustrating Chael moments to chose from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

tesilential posted:

Ok, I'll play.

Which BW was better than Barao during his reign?

tesilential posted:

I didn't ask who could beat Barao in their prime, rather who could have beat him during his reign.

Cruz- literally could not walk. How could he have beat Barao with a blown ACL? He wouldn't have had the cardio to fight a round.

Assuncao - couldn't even get to the belt to get his chance

TJ- the easy answer. obviously he can beat up Barao now, but I don't think the TJ that got embarrassed by Dodson was a sure bet to beat Barao.

"Barao wasn't overrated because he was the best in his division, as proven by the fact that nobody was able to beat him, until somebody beat him."

By that line of argument, no champion is ever overrated, since all of them are unbeatable until they get beat.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

Dead Snoopy posted:

So, who do you think they reserved Toronto for?

You know the UFC have been there at least twice with no GSP right? 152 and 165 both had Jones headlining, and Canadians still showed up to watch. I'm sure the UFC would love to have him there, but they don't need him like they used to.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm partial to this shot:

I saw that fight as it happened and it still boggles my mind

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

mistakinder posted:

You know the UFC have been there at least twice with no GSP right? 152 and 165 both had Jones headlining, and Canadians still showed up to watch. I'm sure the UFC would love to have him there, but they don't need him like they used to.

great, I see where you're going w/ this & at the time, Jones was an established PPV draw was he not? I'm not trying to be the contrarian and put it past the UFC to rely on the company logo itself to be the biggest attraction, I'm simply reiterating that for this market they'd throw a proven draw into the headliner. They wouldn't book a Maia vs. Condit - fighters who purists love and/or respect but its unproven that they 'move the needle'. They're not going to turn a huge market over to Paige Van Zandt or Yair Rodriguez yet before they really embed themselves into the consciousness of the general public.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
Eh, I'm willing to be wrong but I don't think Jones has ever been a draw, at least in fights he managed to show up for. Before he became Daniel Cormiers worst nightmare, the average PPV buyer was lukewarm on Jones to say the least. It's only since he went properly off his rocker that he began to become a fan favourite.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
lol which fight was this and is there a gif of immediately after this moment

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Work Friend Keven posted:

every woman fighter

Alright dipshit, I'll play. By what possible metric is JJ a bad champion? Apart from "isn't a dude".

This is where you post some retarded "lol u got trolled" post in response, right?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

post the jones gustaffson duck face

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fatherdog posted:

"Barao wasn't overrated because he was the best in his division, as proven by the fact that nobody was able to beat him, until somebody beat him."

By that line of argument, no champion is ever overrated, since all of them are unbeatable until they get beat.

which is why if you are actually trying to rank world champions for some reason besides making conversation, you look at how many times they were able to defend their belt and against who

barao was overrated when dana called him the best ever or whatever. not when he lost to another great fighter after beating up the entire division. i don't think barao is even the conversation of most overrated champion ever and the people that do usual just cite Dom as their reason which i squashed earlier.

I take back my Forrest pick tho, much like with Bisping, nobody ever even thought he was actually the best fighter in his division, so he can't have been the most overrated.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

TheRationalRedditor posted:

lol which fight was this and is there a gif of immediately after this moment

https://vine.co/v/iu0ljZlxFAe

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I see you are expanding your dumb posts about racism and small fighters to now include dumb opinions about women.

Memento posted:

Alright dipshit, I'll play. By what possible metric is JJ a bad champion? Apart from "isn't a dude".

This is where you post some retarded "lol u got trolled" post in response, right?

lol. come on guys.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

i could have guessed....

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Dead Snoopy posted:

Absolutely, I'm just wondering aloud who it is. I don't think Toronto is the market where they repeat what just happened in Vancouver and put ANYBODY on the card. NY is shaping up to feature Cerrone/Lawler (and possibly J. Champ). McGregor is up in the air, as is Woodley. The Bisping/Hendo has another location set. Rousey is M.I.A.. Sage & PVZ aren't ready yet. Diaz has this Canadian bias because he felt he was robbed in Montreal. Mexico is on the horizon and a few key people are spoken for.

Again, I don't think they will experiment w/ Toronto - they'll want a proven name.

They are gonna get Jon Jones.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
They've been talking about Jones for that show since like January, and since he is 100% not guilty he will be there

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Renan barao was and is good. Outside of all the women champions ever save for one I can't think of any champion in like 6+ years that was undeserving

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

mistakinder posted:

Eh, I'm willing to be wrong but I don't think Jones has ever been a draw, at least in fights he managed to show up for. Before he became Daniel Cormiers worst nightmare, the average PPV buyer was lukewarm on Jones to say the least. It's only since he went properly off his rocker that he began to become a fan favourite.

pretty sure before he went off the rocker his biggest buyrate was against chael and late period chael could talk his way into a huge buyrate anytime so yeah

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

a little late, but gently caress tim kennedy

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
It's really good Manhoef can do this One Weird Trick despite the fact his chin has been disintegrated on the molecular level after a career of consistent kamikaze recklessness

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/771875157119946752

genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

Kevan, please tell us how to feel about...

Black fighters.

That are ... WOMEN

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Barao, like Pettis, was and is a good fighter, but a good fighter with obvious, exploitable holes in his game. Lots of people said as much during their reigns, and since they were usually responded to by their fans with "LOL NO HE'S THE CHAMP", seeing someone exploit exactly what was pointed out as exploitable and make them look foolish provided a lot of satisfaction to the people who'd been calling it all along.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I love pettis but it's really obvious that he A doesn't punch very hard and B half of lightweight could hold him down for three rounds if they really wanted.. like dating to WEC. In a lot of ways Smooth Ben Henderson is the perfect fight for him because he's a good wrestler who mostly just wants to scramble, which lets pettis look cool instead of try and maintain wrist control for 15 minutes.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Today marks the day conor turned lovely. Count on it. Nothing remains cool or good after associating with call of duty

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Street Horrrsing posted:

Today marks the day conor turned lovely. Count on it. Nothing remains cool or good after associating with call of duty

Counterpoint: Kevin spacey

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

cravius posted:

Counterpoint: Kevin spacey

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Street Horrrsing posted:

???

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I see you are expanding your dumb posts about racism and small fighters to now include dumb opinions about women.

hes right

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Hey... this isn't "trolling". These are two true facts:

Fact 1: Women's MMA is in it's infancy and the fighters aren't that good, which doesn't mean there shouldn't be women's MMA.

Fact 2: It's extremely tasteless and fairly racist to laugh and cackle at photos of black athletes with their lips and faces all swollen up & enough of you are boxing fans that it's mind blowing to me that anyone would have to say this.

drcrumble
May 20, 2001
I WANNA RUB MAH BONER ON UR ASS
p.s. I enjoy guzzling bull semen.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Just looking for some context here: why the gently caress did Frankie Edgar ever fight B.J. Penn three times in the UFC?

Edgar beat him twice by unanimous decision in 2010 and then it looks like it was the main event for TUF 19 but who in the world was thinking there was unfinished business there? Were the 2010 matches really fireworks displays or was somebody a fill-in as the team coach and that's just the direction it went?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
bj explained that he really wanted to beat frankie because frankie was the only one who was viewed as better than him and the only thing standing in the way of him being considered the greatest lw ever. BJ was right about Frankie getting robbed.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Matt Huhges posted:

“I’m not a union fan, bottom line,” he said. “I think unions started as a good thing back in the day, but they’ve turned into a monster. So I just don’t see a need for it. Fighters have a choice to fight for any organization they want. They’ve got a choice of playing baseball, basketball, football, swinging a hammer, being a lawyer, doing anything they want. But they wanted to fight.”

When I started out, it wasn’t for the money,” he said. “I fought to compete. So I just don’t see the need for a union.”

Jesus man

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Like all of those other professions have organized labor of some capacity. What a dipshit.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
again, in honour of current events please rename rheinhold CA Drunk

gunblade
Sep 1, 2008

-Just lucky, I guess
Like Chris Leben. He had the choice to go be a lawyer, but he didn't. So, in a way, he deserves to spend the rest of his life financially compromised.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Fact 1: Women's MMA is in it's infancy and the fighters aren't that good, which doesn't mean there shouldn't be women's MMA.

Fact 2: It's extremely tasteless and fairly racist to laugh and cackle at photos of black athletes with their lips and faces all swollen up & enough of you are boxing fans that it's mind blowing to me that anyone would have to say this.

Stop trying to race bait us.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

I don't get point 2 but I'm not really a boxing fan

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Keven is p4p best poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Dangersim posted:

Keven is p4p best poster

agreed, and it's a testament to the power of the year of keven that the moral arbiters of mma (internet fans) are uncomfortable with his more honourable and morally just positions

• Locked thread