Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

I READ IT AS IT CAME OUT SCREW YOU drat KIDS AND YOUR TECHNOLOGY.

THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

*I do not endorse Poochie's views.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Hey BSS I got a question for you. Why is it when I read the star wars comics that I liked in my youth, they now instead annoy and infuriate me?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You are no longer a child.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Because the Expanded Universe is bad and terrible.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I liked rogue squadron OK. I just want space fighter planes to shoot at each other. Is that such a crime.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Hey BSS I got a question for you. Why is it when I read the star wars comics that I liked in my youth, they now instead annoy and infuriate me?

DROIDS is still cool pinkie swear.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Skwirl posted:

You're probably right about is early poo poo, but Bendis did okay with him.

Bendis did alright but his ebonics for Luke was bad. I think his time leading the Thunderbolts was pretty good (and the art was great).

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

redbackground posted:

DROIDS is still cool pinkie swear.
Wow I remember that and having just watched the first episode again, no it has in fact aged very very badly.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

Wow I remember that and having just watched the first episode again, no it has in fact aged very very badly.
I meant the Dark Horse series.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 9, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm old.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

1 Corinthians 13:11

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Fortunately, most comic books are for adults!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

I was kinda hoping this was gonna link to some crazy comic book version of the Bible

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

site posted:

I was kinda hoping this was gonna link to some crazy comic book version of the Bible

There's always The Brick Testement.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

joehonkie posted:

Fortunately, most comic books are for adults!

They might be for older people but they aren't for adults.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't want to be an adult.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Why would you, it sounds horrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSDF8VvU13M

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Roth posted:

I don't want to be an adult.

Yeah, you do. You can't be a kid, your choices are adult or manchild. Trust me you would rather be an adult.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Travis343 posted:

Yeah, you do. You can't be a kid, your choices are adult or manchild. Trust me you would rather be an adult.

Teach me to do taxes

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Travis343 posted:

You can't be a kid, your choices are adult or manchild.
I suspect it's not a choice...

And yeah, I include myself in the latter category. :colbert: :flashfact: :doom:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well I'm a huge nerd who spends most of my disposable income on action figures and video games but like I have a decent job, I pay my bills on time, I have a solid credit score, I don't go around without showering, I don't eat fast food every meal... I don't think having nerdy hobbies means you are a manchild. I think you can be a responsible adult who just really likes Batman.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

site posted:

Wasn't Liefeld supposed to be doing a comic based on the bible? Whatever happened to that?

Travis343 posted:

Well I'm a huge nerd who spends most of my disposable income on action figures and video games but like I have a decent job, I pay my bills on time, I have a solid credit score, I don't go around without showering, I don't eat fast food every meal... I don't think having nerdy hobbies means you are a manchild. I think you can be a responsible adult who just really likes Batman.

Agreed. I like comics and have a surfing Batman on my work computer, but can still (sort of) do my own taxes, hold down a conversation with other adults, and not throw a tantrum when someone disagrees with me. Nothing wrong with having hobbies, as long as you can still grow up and think like an adult.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Travis343 posted:

I was kidding, so no judgments, but I am sadly too much like the description above (I won't tell you in what ways).

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

Teach me to do taxes

How redbackground does his taxes:

Step 1) Pays H&R Block

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dario the Wop posted:

I was kidding, so no judgments, but I am sadly too much like the description above (I won't tell you in what ways).

If it's the financial poo poo I totally understand, it's loving rough out there and it's not something you can just wake up one day and decide to fix. If youre not showering though I have no sympathy for you.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm a university student that wants to teach history, so I take as much opportunity as I can to indulge in dumb things like comics. Granted, I have a much more serious interest in film as an art form, and I feel pretentious just saying that.

Edit- Speaking of which, I saw theater version of The Lion King last night, and that was a really impressive show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTD9n7FkyVo

I've had this drat song stuck in my head all day though.

Roth fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 9, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Alias is a really loving good comic, guys.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Toxxupation posted:

The part where she confronts the Avengers is pretty great. Did a really good job of showing how hosed up the situation was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

Probably the best thing Bendis ever wrote.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rhyno posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man is a thing Bendis wrote, though...but yeah, it's really really really good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Rhyno posted:

I'd say his Daredevil might, might be better, but if it is, it's not by much.

Madkal posted:

Wasn't Liefeld supposed to be doing a comic based on the bible? Whatever happened to that?

I don't know about that, but Mike Allred made some books based on The Book of Mormon.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-08/burrito-by-drone-coming-to-campus-in-test-of-alphabet-s-delivery

Life imitates art.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tacocopter is like 5 years old at this point, it's what the Prez comic refers to.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Tacocopter was a hoax, though, wasn't it?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Rob Liefeld's history with Biblical comics is pretty long.

Twenty years ago, there was The Godyssey featuring a dream sequence where the Greek Pantheon confronted Jesus on the cross, so he jumped down and started fighting.

In 2010, he started posting "Zombie Jesus" comics onto his blog but never completed the story.

Then last year he announced The Covenant which I think was supposed to be based on the Old Testament. Apparently five issues were released!

I feel like there was another Sci Fi Jesus series somewhere in the mid-2000s because it was one of those "hey Liefeld's art is getting better-- oh wait, it's a page and a half that are clearly traced from a movie" moments that happened repeatedly.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So, where does everyone stand on the "Peter killed Gwen" debate? Good? Bad? A guy with a gun?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

So, where does everyone stand on the "Peter killed Gwen" debate? Good? Bad? A guy with a gun?

Norman killed her. He threw her off the building. She died while Peter tried to rescue her but Peter did not kill her.

There's an interesting take on it during the Clone Saga where Ben just so happens to see a woman fall off the same bridge and he makes a huge point of swinging down to catch her midfall and redirect the momentum rather than catching her with a web line because "hey this guy is better at being Spider-man than Peter HINT HINT HINT."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Failing to save someone who is going to die isn't killing them.

• Locked thread